Taurus "design" question

PDA

deleteall
March 9, 2004, 07:58 PM
I heard that Taurus' verison of several guns are exact copies of S&W, Beretta, etc, but that they can get away with it because they're manufactured in Brazil. Is this true? Seems like as long as they're sold in the US, they'd be subject to patent/trademark laws.

Anyone?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus "design" question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
March 9, 2004, 08:19 PM
There are reasons... :D

When Beretta got the contract to supply the Brazilian military with pistols, it was subject to the condition that they establish a factory in the country to produce them locally. Beretta sold the factory and machinery to Taurus, with a licence to produce the gun. So, Taurus' PT92 is a legal "clone" of the Beretta 92.

As to revolvers: don't forget that these designs are decades old. Patent rights run out after a very limited time. Copies of Colt and S&W revolvers have been made in Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, China, and who knows how many countries for the past fifty or sixty years, all with some minor local differences in design. It's legal (even though S&W and Colt probably wish it wasn't), in the same way as these countries can produce copies of medical drugs when the patent protection has expired. That's how all these dozens of companies in the USA can produce "1911's" - the patents ran out a long, long time ago.

Standing Wolf
March 9, 2004, 08:19 PM
They're not exact copies of Smith & Wessons. Years ago, a parent company, Bangor Punta, owned both Smith & Wesson and Taurus, so perhaps some technology may have been transferred southward, but even in those days, the Taurus line was no more than similar to Smith & Wesson's.

Trebor
March 9, 2004, 08:47 PM
The Taurus 92 was originally a direct clone of the Berretta 92 made on licensed machinery. Since then though, the two designs have diverged due to "genetic drift," for lack of a better term. Basically, Taurus kept to the original 92 design with the "cocked and locked" safety while Berretta switched to the decocker design. Each of the companies has since made other changes to their pistols and, over time, the differences have added up. Although the two pistols are no longer twins, they are closer then "kissin cousins."

deleteall
March 9, 2004, 09:08 PM
makes sense, thanks for the replies.

jsalcedo
March 9, 2004, 09:10 PM
My Taurus design copies are equal or better than their genuine counterparts in fit, finish and durability.

Due to the name on the gun I can expect to pay one half of what a real one costs.

liliysdad
March 10, 2004, 02:12 AM
No Taurus is better than a Smith in fit nor finish..sorry. Far from bad guns, just not the same.

The only revolvers I have ever seen by Taurus that are exact copies of Smiths are some older ones, which were an excat Model 10 copy. Since then designs differences have made it so that resemblance isd mainly cosmetic.

Majic
March 10, 2004, 02:48 AM
No Taurus is better than a Smith in fit nor finish..sorry.
I have seen some Smith's that won't quite up to par from the factory. On a whole I say that the Smith wins, but you can't say that for each individual model put out. Lemons do slip out everybody's factory.

Pendragon
March 10, 2004, 01:30 PM
I was in a gun store the otherday and I saw a brand new Winchester model 63 (.22LR semi).

I have one from the mid 1930s that belonged to my great grandfather - its a family heriloom and while in good condition, I was suprised to see a brand new one.

Oops - it was a Taurus :D - good copy though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus "design" question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!