Couple of New-B Questions

PDA

TenDriver
February 5, 2013, 05:07 PM
Don't laugh too hard...

What is a cannelure? Is it the grooved / ridged ring around the bullet?

Second. I have some 44 Mag cases that I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. Using the Lee 44 Spl / Mag 3 die set, is there a way to reshape the cases without knocking out the primers, or do I just use the expanding die and not re-size? Also just realized the bullet seating die may or may not crimp.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Couple of New-B Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
Yep, the grooved / ridged ring around the bullet. It is for crimping into.

Take the decapper out of the sizer and size without it.

The seater has a crimp capability.

45lcshooter
February 5, 2013, 06:01 PM
2nd everything ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TenDriver
February 5, 2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks! Do I unscrew the knob on top of the die to remove the pin? Seems like that sucker is on there tight!

beatledog7
February 5, 2013, 11:20 PM
It has to be tight, but yeah, take two open-end wrenches and crank it loose. Putting it into the press might help you control it while you do this, but do use two wrenches, not the press as a wrench. When it's loose the pin will simply fall out.

Lost Sheep
February 6, 2013, 12:02 AM
It has to be tight, but yeah, take two open-end wrenches and crank it loose. Putting it into the press might help you control it while you do this, but do use two wrenches, not the press as a wrench. When it's loose the pin will simply fall out.
Before you let the pin fall out, take a look at where it is right now. The nose of the pin should extend out past the bottom of the die just a little. Remember that dimension.

When you reinstall the pin you will see that there is no "stop" on it. So, you will set the pin where it was. This is not a terribly critical dimension, but it helps to have noticed it before.

The pin just slips into a collet. This is so that if a primer is extra-hard to punch out or you are trying to deprime a Berdan-primed case you don't break the pin, but just slide it up in the collet (from where you can loosen it and put it back where it belongs).

Good luck and thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

TenDriver
February 6, 2013, 12:08 AM
Thank you for giving the advice.

Fire_Moose
February 6, 2013, 12:53 AM
The decappimg pin should be flush on top, no?

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

Lost Sheep
February 6, 2013, 02:27 AM
The decappimg pin should be flush on top, no?

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Most that I have are (and I expect Lee Precision makes them that way on purpose) but what you really want is for the point of the pin to be out just far enough to punch out the primer, plus just a little.

Lost Sheep

gamestalker
February 6, 2013, 05:13 PM
Roughly 3/8" protrusion ffrom the die is enough to do the job without engaging the web area of the case. I don't think I've ever had to re-adjust the decapping pin using the 3/8" rule of thumb.
GS

If you enjoyed reading about "Couple of New-B Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!