Colt Detective Special questions

PDA

greenhorng
February 5, 2013, 09:44 PM
I bought this at a local pawn shop and have some questions. 1st, the serial # is 889xxx, which would put it at 1965 (a 2nd generation). But the barrel has the ejector shroud, which makes it a 3rd generation. So what do I have. I didn't know much about them but really liked the gun.
Secondly, the nickel finish has dulled but no flaking. Should I polish or leave as is? I don't mind the dull finish and think perhaps normal aging should be left alone. Although I'm not totally against a more polished look.
Any info and opinions appreciated. BTW, I payed $450. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Detective Special questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
royal barnes
February 5, 2013, 10:49 PM
The grip appears to be full length which would make it an earlier generation with the unshrouded ejector rod. You may have some sort of anomaly gun but more likely a 1965 DS that has been rebarelled and refinished in a satin nickel. If you like it you didn't pay too much but I wouldn't have paid more than $300 for it.

ColtPythonElite
February 5, 2013, 10:53 PM
What he said^

dfariswheel
February 6, 2013, 07:24 PM
Don't try to polish it, it's not bright nickel and can't be polished.
If you attempt to do so, you'll damage the finish.

As above, you have a re-barreled and re-finished Colt.

rcmodel
February 6, 2013, 08:11 PM
What he said^ +2.

That is a re-finish, or perhaps a factory electroless nickel finish.

It never was shiny like the old nickel finish Colts and can't be made so..

rc

Jim K
February 6, 2013, 10:26 PM
I am not sure about the finish, but the gun has been polished as shown by the screw heads and the sideplate.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Detective Special questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!