Okay, so now I REALLY want a NAA Earl

PDA

MCgunner
February 6, 2013, 02:41 PM
I think the 4" Earl BP would be a good plinker, and cheap, but wonder if it hits minute of beer can at, say 15 yards. Can anyone here clue me in on accuracy with 'em? I have several NAAs. My most accurate is a .22 mag 2" Black Widow. Man, she shoots, about 3" at 25 yards off sandbags straight to POA. I'm thinkin' the Earl with a 4" barrel might be at least as good, don't know. The Black Widow has real sights on it, Novaks, which helps.

Anyway, at a time when .22LR isn't available anywhere on the planet (my GAWD, thought THAT would never happen), the Earl might make for a decent .22 plinker, might even be useful for a woods carry. What say? Anyone have any experience with it? Should I just keep shooting my .44s and don't worry about it? I don't even have to cast for the Earl, just buy a bag of 4 buck and have a lifetime supply, and the tiny amount of 777 or Bullseye it holds would last forever.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay, so now I REALLY want a NAA Earl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
faustopph
February 6, 2013, 05:56 PM
MCgunner, My thoughts exactly. If the Earl is a worthy woods loafing gun. It would be great to have. Something like that could be carried most anywhere and would go with every time I hit the trail along with a primary BG gun.
I have not read any real accuracy testing,other than a few informal test.

rodwha
February 6, 2013, 09:28 PM
I, too, have wondered about it's usefulness at 15 yds (or even 25) as I'd like a cap n ball small game pistol. As it stands I've been eyeing a .36 cal Colt ('62 or '51).
I also have been meaning to get a yucca "stick" to try out as a shooting rest/walking stick, which I mean to use along with it.

HiWayMan
February 8, 2013, 02:18 PM
Interesting thoughts.

Pricing materials comes to about 8 cents per shot. I just priced out for a .36 cal and came up with 9 cents per shot excluding the ball which I mould myself.

MCgunner
February 8, 2013, 04:32 PM
I think that price should be lower if you bought a 25 pound sack of 4 buck. Only takes 2 grains of B'eye. Donno, haven't done the math.

I fired my ROA today. I gotta say, there ain't much tops that ROA for accuracy. Amazing can ventilator and BIG holes. :D I don't really know if I need an Earl, but I'll probably get one to play with anyway. :D Still seems like if it had the accuracy, it could be a neat trail gun.

Rom828
February 8, 2013, 04:46 PM
I own an "Earl" in 22LR/22mag that has been fun. It takes awhile to figure out how to shoot it with the still tiny grips and fixed sights. I put it in a Buck folding knife belt holster sometimes with the 22wmr cylinder to walk around in mountain parks here sometimes, (open carry is still legal here). It reminds me of my 1858 Remingtons, when I saw it I had to have one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay, so now I REALLY want a NAA Earl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!