The 1996 Repeal Vote

PDA

natedog
March 9, 2004, 08:50 PM
I understand that this vote to repeal the AWB passed by a large margin in the House of Representitives. Why, then, was it not continued on to the Senate and then on to the Presidents desk? I'm sure Clinton would have vetoed it, but then couldn't Congress pass it by getting a 2/3 majority vote?

If you enjoyed reading about "The 1996 Repeal Vote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gripper
March 9, 2004, 09:34 PM
Bob Dole and the RNC type whose name escapes me prevented any backbone from being manifested at the time. You see, Bob was running(but unwilling to fight on principle)and listened to the "moderate"Karl Rove type who felt it would be too "controversial";this being when the "soccar moms"were seen as a constituency group to be catered to.Those of us who believe in the Bill of Rights were /are seen as "fringe types",while those who see the Constitution as an obstacle to be defeated are the "progressive"types that want to do it "for the children". In short ,we wuz robbed...

nico
March 9, 2004, 09:43 PM
haha nice reply gripper. Welcome to THR. It's nice to see not everyone in Mass. is a kennedy or kerry backer:)

Bartholomew Roberts
March 10, 2004, 10:28 AM
To elaborate on gripper's response, Clinton promised to veto the bill. With fellow Senate Republican Bob Dole running for office that year and no chance of the bill actually passing, Republicans decided to let it die in the Senate rather than let it become a campaign issue. There was also some debate on whether they had the votes in the Senate to even get it to Clinton...

If you enjoyed reading about "The 1996 Repeal Vote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!