New FNX40 and Question

PDA

miamivicedade
February 6, 2013, 05:11 PM
Hi All -

Today I picked up my new FNX-40. It is a beautiful gun that looks and feels rugged. I have one question though. I noticed that the there is a little room between the magazine and bottom of the grip. Should I be concerned?

http://aaronjacobs.com/fnx40.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New FNX40 and Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wow6599
February 6, 2013, 05:39 PM
Should I be concerned?

Not unless it has failures. IIRC, the FNP 45 USG I used to own had a small gap too.

GLOOB
February 7, 2013, 12:42 PM
All my handguns have a gap, except my G19 loaded with KCI mags. Those suckers are tight.

I just happen to have my FNX40 and a pair of calipers here.

Mine has about 0.060 gap at the back with a loaded mag. 0.040" gap at the front. There's a little bit of wiggle. When pressing the mag in, I can just barely squeeze in a fingernail in the gap, and not all the way around, at that.

Edit: I have some shim stock here, too. Gap at front is actually closer to ~0.032", and at back around ~0.050".

FWIW, I have only two semiauto's that have never jammed, and my FNX40 is one of them. Over 1.5k rounds, no issues. One day it might catch up with my G21SF. 3000+ with zero hiccups.

The only handgun I have a problem with is my PA-63. The gap is quite pronounced, with a lot of wiggle room. The gun has a rep for not feeding hollowponts, and mine isn't the exception. But I noticed it shoots/feeds the same hp's fine when the mag is taped in, tightly. That's a shame. I have 5 mags, and they all sit the same way.

If you enjoyed reading about "New FNX40 and Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!