8 Shotguns

PDA

JVaughn
February 6, 2013, 10:36 PM
I picked up a Mossberg 590 today for a good price and my wife (very gun friendly) asked if I had a shotgun obsession. This led to a playful conversation about how many I have and how many is enough. She arbitrarily ruled that 8 is exact right amount to own. Is she right?

If you enjoyed reading about "8 Shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sheepdog1968
February 6, 2013, 10:45 PM
I would be very happy if my wife said 8 shotguns were enough. You are a very lucky man.

Zardaia
February 6, 2013, 10:53 PM
Personal choice opinion question, to each his own but grats on the supportive wife. For me that'd be too much. I'm not really into shotguns, one utilitarian 12g w/interchangable chokes is plenty for me. For somone that competes, hunts, wants one specificly for hd etc etc, they need as many as they want.

wgp
February 6, 2013, 10:56 PM
Last count I have 13. Several were given to me by friends/family who did not want them anymore, and several aren't fancy or worth much. But it does not seem like too many. I'll admit that most of my shotgunning is done with only 3 or 4 of them.

OptimusPrime
February 6, 2013, 11:00 PM
I do what she says when she says it. If 8 is her limit, mine too. Think of the man who has zero.

303tom
February 6, 2013, 11:18 PM
I have more than 8 and it`s not enough (YET).................Hell my wife has more than I do.

Teachu2
February 6, 2013, 11:21 PM
If the wife isn't happy, nobody's happy!

rcmodel
February 6, 2013, 11:33 PM
Yes. Too many.

Unless you can afford collect Purdys or other old English shotguns, or Model 12 Winchesters, or something, for the intrinsic values collector market?

Otherwise, 8 is several too many shotguns.

Beware the man with one shotgun, because he knows how to use it!

Of course unless you also have 15-20 or so handguns, and another 15-20 or so rifles.

Then it is perfectly normal.

At least thats what I tell my wife.

rc

Inebriated
February 7, 2013, 01:08 AM
No such thing as "too many" of any gun. If you've got 200 870's more power to you.

Whether you have a real need for them, I don't know... But if you like to just buy a shotgun when the deal comes along (I know I do), then who cares?

rcmodel
February 7, 2013, 01:17 AM
If you have 200 870's?

Vice-President Biden and seveal news reporters want to talk to you.

It will become a focal point of the TV gun debate over mental health issues! :D

rc

gazpacho
February 7, 2013, 01:23 AM
Yes dear, 8 more shotguns will be enough.

Bobson
February 7, 2013, 01:36 AM
Deleted.

Chevelle SS
February 7, 2013, 01:38 AM
I have 10, so I think you need more :D

Zardaia
February 7, 2013, 01:50 AM
Deleted.
Deer, dedicated rifled slug thrower. Makes 5 at least.

allaroundhunter
February 7, 2013, 02:22 AM
For some, 8 is too many, for some it is too much, for some it is just right (like the Goldilocks reference?). I know you can get by with as few as 1 shotgun, I wouldn't if given the choice, but 1 is plenty for some people.

Let me count mine....

1. Remington 870 Express 20 ga
2. NEF 20 ga
3. Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga
4. Winchester 1100 12ga
5. Winchester 11-87 12 ga
6. Beretta Urika 2 12 ga
7. Beretta 3901 12 ga
8. Mossberg Maverick Bullpup 12 ga
9. Mossberg 930 JM Pro 12 ga

Of course, I inherited 5 of those with my Grandfather's passing this past October, but I know I will still be getting more (it just isn't too high on the priority list right now).

Powerglide
February 7, 2013, 05:53 AM
Ask her how many shoes is enough?

beatledog7
February 7, 2013, 06:55 AM
How many could you and yours carry if you had to suddenly depart from where you have them stored?

This is a question I've been working through with my "stuff" in all categories. I have work to do.

jon86
February 7, 2013, 07:21 AM
I have one shotgun and my wife says that 1 is enough. Given our current budget, I can't really blame her.

tacxted
February 7, 2013, 09:31 AM
I picked up a Mossberg 590 today for a good price and my wife (very gun friendly) asked if I had a shotgun obsession. This led to a playful conversation about how many I have and how many is enough. She arbitrarily ruled that 8 is exact right amount to own. Is she right?
i think shes right.
1. pump 12g
2. semi 12g
3. side by side 12g
4. over & under 12g
5. single break action 12g
6. lever 12g
7. bolt action 12g
8. blunderbust :D

a-sheepdog
February 7, 2013, 09:58 AM
I voted for 8, though I feel that you can never have too many. My thinking is that if you already have 8 shotguns, maybe pick up other firearms that you like and bump up the numbers of those particular firearms. If the funding is there, get as many as you want. I just like to diversify.

Bobson
February 7, 2013, 10:01 AM
1. Remington 870 Express 20 ga
2. NEF 20 ga
3. Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga
4. Winchester 1100 12ga
5. Winchester 11-87 12 ga
6. Beretta Urika 2 12 ga
7. Beretta 3901 12 ga
8. Mossberg Maverick Bullpup 12 ga
9. Mossberg 930 JM Pro 12 ga
I don't mean to come across as a jerk or a minimalist, and that's why I deleted my first post; but I'm legitimately curious. What roles/niches can a shotgun fill? Can you place each of these shotguns a particular niche (or niches, if any of the shotguns fill more than one)? And do you actually use these shotguns for each of those roles (meaning you engage in each area of shooting)?

I was able to think of five roles after some consideration. Zardaia reminded me of a sixth. I'm stumped after that though. The five I came up with are 1) HD. 2) Upland game birds & rabbits. 3) Geese/ducks. 4) Clays. 5) Turkey gun. 6) Deer/slug gun.

What else?

As an aside, I can't imagine owning nine shotguns, and none are a Citori. :p The 28" barrel White Lightning 12 gauge is a grail gun of mine lol.

oneounceload
February 7, 2013, 11:44 AM
but I'm legitimately curious. What roles/niches can a shotgun fill? Can you place each of these shotguns a particular niche (or niches, if any of the shotguns fill more than one)

Absolutely

1 - pair of 12 gauge O/U fixed choke (Perazzi preferred) set up for : pigeons - box, columbare, and decoyed, along with Helice and Bunker

2 - pair of 12 gauge O/U fixed choke (again, Perazzi preferred), for Fitasc and Sporting Clays

3 - pair of 12 gauge SxS fixed choke (AyA or Arrietta preferred) for driven birds, mostly pheasant

4 - pair of 20 gauge - either O/U or SxS ( above brands preferred) set up for Argentina and similar high volume shooting

5 - pair of 20 gauge - either O/U or SxS choked differently than above for Western US wild birds

6 - pair of 28 gauge - SxS preferred for Southern plantation quail hunting

7 - a pump and SxS in 410 - just because

8 - a pump set up for HD

9 - a pump or semi (preferred) set up for three gun

10 - a semi set up for waterfowl and turkey

That's only 17...

Why the pairs? Redundancy in case one breaks. When you have traveled a great distance or there is a serious competition (and money) on the line and a gun breaks, you better have that back up right there right now

C0untZer0
February 7, 2013, 12:24 PM
oooops - I thought you were talking about magazine capacity

allaroundhunter
February 7, 2013, 01:19 PM
What roles/niches can a shotgun fill? Can you place each of these shotguns a particular niche (or niches, if any of the shotguns fill more than one)? And do you actually use these shotguns for each of those roles (meaning you engage in each area of shooting)?

As I said, I did not purchase each of my shotguns. When my Grandfather passed away he left his guns to me which included 5 shotguns.

1. Step-up shotgun for teaching a new shooter and a good dove/quail gun as well as small game.
2. Great starter shotgun, it is what I was started on, it is what my brother was started on.
3. (Inherited from Grandfather) Beautiful gun (99% condition) and it swings very well. It has more sentimental value to me than monetary value. I will be taking it out to the dove fields, but it won't be abused.
4. (Inherited from Grandfather) This was a working gun out on the farm, and it shows it. It was the first 12 ga shotgun that I ever shot when my Grandfather was teaching me to shoot. It will continue to be the gun that I grab when I go out on the farm, that's just where it belongs.
5. (Inherited from Grandfather) A gun that I have only shot a couple of times. It will accompany me into the duck blind and dove field when I want to bring the "pretty" gun instead of my 3901 synthetic gun. I also shoots the best out of these guns with rifled slugs so it is my deer shotgun (when I don't want to take a rifle).
6. (Inherited from Grandfather) This gun has been customized a little. Shortened LOP, 26" ported barrel, and enlarged bolt release. This is a target gun through and through, but it fits my brother perfectly so for now, it is his to use when he wants it. It is the softest shooting 12 ga I have ever fired, and it is definitely a clay-buster.
7. This is the first 12 ga that my parents bought for me. It has served me hunting squirrel and turkey, and everything in between.
8. (Inherited from Grandfather) I'm not quite sure what to do with this gun. I haven't shot it yet, but for now it is a novelty. That fills a niche, right?
9. And this is my most recent shotgun. Purchased for competition shooting (3-gun), and that is a role that no other shotgun I have could fill.

So yes, some roles are covered by multiple guns, but they each also serve a role that no other does.

RainDodger
February 7, 2013, 03:38 PM
You only have 8 shotguns? Is something wrong with you?

el Godfather
February 7, 2013, 03:44 PM
There is no magic number.

I think 8 are enough if you are not a collector of fine double barrels. I am not a shotgun guy. I have only 5 I think. It includes a uSAS-12 and a Beretta teknys Gold. If I want more it will probably mean I have decided to go after the likes of HH, James purdey, Boss, AyA, Kriegoff etc. That would also mean that I am about go bankrupt!

musicman10_1
February 7, 2013, 08:33 PM
I really have the shotgun bug right now and it is a lot of fun researching and learning about all of the variations and differences between models and brands.

I have recently bought 2 Ithaca Model 37 Featherlights. They are as different from one another as night and day and I really like them both. I negotiated with a guy today for a Browning BPS Magnum Hunter but I was not quite fast enough to seal the deal; I did, however, learn a heck of a lot about the model while doing frantic research to determine value and features.

My goal for the year is to get a good O/U shotgun and to get an Ithaca 37 Riot gun.

I can see going past 8 with relative ease.

btg3
February 7, 2013, 08:47 PM
I'm not inclined to question whether 8 is right, but out of curiosity, how many more does she need to have 8?

LeonCarr
February 7, 2013, 09:35 PM
8 shotguns to me means one in each room and one in each vehicle :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

B!ngo
February 7, 2013, 10:06 PM
I'm just out of it I suppose. Not a real shotgun kind of guy either. I'm still planning to buy my first though I'm left-handed and kind of picky in that regard (likely a 12G Browning BPS Upland Special).
That said, unless you were a heavy shotgun shooter doing lots and lots of:
skeet/clay
bird hunting
other competitive shooting
a very thorough home defense planner
a prepper with multiple packs/hide-away places/bug-out vehicles
and/or a collector
then 8 seems like a large number. 'Not that there's anything wrong with it...'.
And now the perfunctory, 'But hey, it's your call and nothing anyone else says should bear on your decision; and so long as you can handle it financially and the 8+ firearms don't quarrel when you shut the gunsafe door' and so on...

B

JVaughn
February 7, 2013, 10:15 PM
I'm not inclined to question whether 8 is right, but out of curiosity, how many more does she need to have 8?

She needs 8 more! She isn't a shotgun enthusiast, she prefers handguns. She doesn't really care how many I buy, she just likes to call me out on my obsessions.

Thanks for all the great responses. I read most of them to her and she got a pretty big kick out of them!

BTW, 8 is nowhere close to enough, I'm just getting started!

Pete D.
February 8, 2013, 08:40 AM
Fill a niche? I just like shotguns. I have at least double the 8. Another one coming by the end of the month.

gibson_es
February 8, 2013, 09:43 AM
Iys all in what u want. My wish list is

Mossberg 500 mariner jic for a truck gun.
A nice 3 1/2" frenchi for turkey.
A bererta silver pigeon iv for clays and maybe water fowl
a side ny side hammerless coach for HD
And a mossberg 500 as a backup to any of the above...

Those are all 12good ga.

Then i want one in 10, 16, 20, and .410 for diversity.

So my list is 9.

EDIT:
how did i forget. The saiga 12?

Make that 10....

Creature
February 8, 2013, 09:47 AM
She arbitrarily ruled that 8 is exact right amount to own.

Be very careful. Momma can arbitrarily (and unexpectedly) change her mind...and rule that 8 is too many.

bannockburn
February 8, 2013, 09:52 AM
As many as you like; as many as you can afford. Enjoy all of them as much as you can, while you can.

UnderTheGun
February 8, 2013, 11:15 AM
The right number is "just one more".

I agree with the dupes for multiple reasons. I am currently looking for another A400 Xtreme - love that gun.

I don't own 8 shotguns but would not set a limit.

loose noose
February 8, 2013, 11:41 AM
"Is 8 shotguns enough?" Well let's look at the different varieties, and then examine this thoroughly. You have 1) semi autos 2) pumps 3) bolt action 4) Side by Sides 5) Single barrels 6) Percussion 7) Flintlock: Not to mention all the different guages; .410 28ga. 20ga. 16 ga. 12ga. and even 10ga. Now multiply that by 7 (varieties) X 6 (guages) and I believe you come up with a mere minimum of 42. Not to mention the brands presently available and also the past brands such as LC Smith etc. My Lord the number is unlimited, if you're a casual collector. Har Har.:uhoh:

oneounceload
February 8, 2013, 01:39 PM
Loose - you forgot one of the more popular types - the Over-Under -bumps the 42 up a tad more...... ;)

loose noose
February 8, 2013, 02:08 PM
Yup oneounce, you're absolutely right, how could I've forgotten such a fine arm, brings the total bare minimum up to 49 now.:o

If you enjoyed reading about "8 Shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!