Gun Ban Needed To Prevent Ex-Cops /Military From Murdering People With Guns

PDA

Evergreen
February 7, 2013, 09:15 PM
This article made me want to vomit. It is just amazing at how people who put their lives on the line to protect our country and give us freedom are now treated like criminals . According to Dan Turner of the LA Times, he claims most former military suffer from PTSD, as well as many ex-cops, such as the ex-LAPD officer Chris Dorner, who is wanted for the murder of two other police officers. According, to this LA Times author, it was the availability of guns that turned this man into a ravaging psycho and if we had stricter gun control none of these crimes would be committed. He especially is adamant that we need to disarm all former military and ex-law enforcement.

This man has basically insulted all our military and law enforcement, as well as our Constitution and law-abiding gun owners. Somehow, he believes the government machine will protect us from ourselves, especially if we happened to be previous members of the military or police, which he claims "makes us even more dangerous people".

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-lapd-rampage-gun-control-20120207,0,3471054.story?track=rss

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Ban Needed To Prevent Ex-Cops /Military From Murdering People With Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BHP FAN
February 7, 2013, 09:19 PM
Well, when he comes out from under his bed, we'll know how much longer winter will be.

SSN Vet
February 7, 2013, 09:30 PM
Pathetic !

krupparms
February 7, 2013, 09:47 PM
+one for BHP FAN!

JRH6856
February 7, 2013, 09:58 PM
I think I get it. Guns need to be banned because the police can be trusted to protect us, At least until the paycheck stops and then they become raving psychos that need to be disarmed. :scrutiny: :confused:

KMcCoy
February 7, 2013, 10:11 PM
The argument against a large standing armed force, either nationally in our Armed Forces or locally in the terms of State and local "law enforcement", is exactly the same as the argument for the 2nd Amendment. Now, before the hate begins, that is not an attack on any individual soldier, marine, officer or trooper any more than being pro Bill of Rights is an attack on any individual politician. It is a strong statement that we must be ever vigilant in watching and not quite trusting our government.

What is the relavence here? I believe we should be insisting, as part of the larger "gun control" debate, that law enforcement, local, state and national be under exactly the same restrictions as the populace.

ApacheCoTodd
February 7, 2013, 10:24 PM
Wait, I thought the cops and military were the only ones "properly trained" in their use.

Which is it?

sidheshooter
February 7, 2013, 10:49 PM
+one for BHP FAN!

^^^This.

MrCleanOK
February 7, 2013, 10:50 PM
If PTSD'ed out vets are so dangerous, I am surprised our country has survived this long. The years after World War II should have wiped us all out.

usmarine0352_2005
February 7, 2013, 11:02 PM

The anti-gunners make me sick. Not only is this event not even finished yet the cop hasn't even been buried and they are taking advantage of the situation. Never wasting a good tragedy is the anti-gunners creed.

And now they are basically saying every vet is a time-bomb waiting to happen. I guess that will be their next reason for gun control....killer vets coming back from the war.

Sure they defended this country, but now they are all potential killers with PTSD.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-lapd-rampage-gun-control-20120207,0,3471054.story?track=rss

Gun control debate creeps into ex-cop manhunt

By Paul Thornton

February 7, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

Letters reacting to the search for Christoper Jordan Dorner, the disgruntled former Los Angeles Police Department officer suspected of a double homicide and the shooting three police officers, are finding their way into The Times' mailbag. Surprisingly, only one of those letters discusses the manhunt for Dorner, and the rest connect the shootings to the hot-button issue of the last few months: gun control.

"The only thing worse than a man determined to commit 'suicide by cop' is when that man is himself a heavily armed ex-cop. The Dorner manhunt will stir up memories of the racially motivated Long-Island Railroad murderer, the response to whom brought badly needed gun laws to the U.S., which the GOP gradually dismantled.

"There are more than 60,000 troops returning to the U.S. from places like Afghanistan, all of them well-versed in firearms. Many of them will suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. America needs specific firearms bans of the kind that the president and vice president are proposing, and needs them yesterday."

"Nevertheless, police say Dorner went berserk, tragically leaving a fatal shooting spree in his wake. Whether or not stricter gun-control laws could have stopped this rampage, I implore our legislators to pass them. Fewer guns equals fewer shootings. It's a matter of common sense."

jlbraun
February 7, 2013, 11:14 PM
Everyone has read the cop's manifesto, right?

Pro-gun control, pro-AWB, etc., etc...

http://pastebin.com/TAzPRfPy

jwh336
February 7, 2013, 11:15 PM
This is why I don't like the "mental health" crap they're trying to put in the new gun laws. Far to broad of a term and ripe for abuse considering ObamaCare will be your health insurer. OCD? DENIED! :uhoh:

PTSD doesn't mean a person is or will become homicidal. They certainly are trying to put fear and paranoia into everyone aren't they. Whatever it takes to make the world how they want it.

BLB68
February 7, 2013, 11:22 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=701903

Grmlin
February 7, 2013, 11:27 PM
Yup we may go berserk because of our PTSD. It's amazing what the little pansies run their mouths about. The liberals get away with calling us un-American, Extremists, Racists, et... Personally anyone who is trying to subvert or destroy our Constitution are the worthless un-American scum. I'm trying real hard not to say it the way I want to (I've already been warned). I am just getting tired of these pompous bottom feeders getting away with what ever they want, but citizens that believe in the Constitution get called every disrespectful derogative. Sorry if I'm not making much sense just getting really sick of all the crap. The Lib's need to pull up their big boy and girl pants and deal with the fact we aren't giving up $#!t.

Evergreen
February 7, 2013, 11:30 PM
The whole article isn't about disarming the government machine, it's about disarming those who leave the government machine and become "dangerous citizens with guns". The point being made, is that only those who are currently serving in the government can be trusted. That is according to this goon LA times writer. This has nothing about making the military equal to the citizenry or fulfilling the 2nd Amendment. Quite the contrary, this person believes citizens who served in the military or as law enforcement should have even less rights than regular citizens. He feels that once they leave their profession and have done their duty, that they automatically turn into deranged psychos suffering from PTSD.

Cesiumsponge
February 7, 2013, 11:33 PM
There are no definitive boundaries that outline what is mental illness that is guaranteed to lead to violence and what isn't. Schizophrenia doesn't necessarily make you a violent person. PTSD doesn't either. It's such a nebulous term that it essentially gives carte blanche to busybodies that want to draw arbitrary lines in the sand to create groups of haves and have-nots. These same arguments were being paraded around shortly after Chris Kyle's untimely death.

It's similar to how the FCC defines "indecency". That is, there is no definition. You'll just have to say things on TV or radio and hope they don't find you guilty of being indecent and fine you.

BHP FAN
February 7, 2013, 11:36 PM
''Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State...''

-Heinrich Himmler, Nazi Leader

I think that reporter [Dan Turner of the LA Times] would agree in spirit with Evergreen's Himmler qoute...!

BluBob
February 7, 2013, 11:38 PM
They are trying to set the narrative because there is a gun control angle, but not the one they would like to emphasize. If you lived in the neighborhood where the killer is on the run would you rather be armed with an AR or a sturdy skillet as you sit in your house and wait for the cops to catch him? The media doesn't want the average Joe asking himself that question.

BHP FAN
February 7, 2013, 11:46 PM
THIS makes me crazy. Vets and retired LEOs should be awarded CCW's upon application and [I]ought to be our most trusted citizens.

Leanwolf
February 7, 2013, 11:56 PM
I lived in Los Angeles for 36 years. During that time I subscribed to the Los Angeles Times for 30 of those years. The L.A. Times has called for the banning and confiscation of ALL firearms from the worker peasants and serfs, for the past 45 years, without cease, without reason, without logic, without regard whatsoever for the United States Constitution, nor the millions of millions of honest gunowners who never, ever, abuse their Right to own firearms.

The "liberal progressives" who control the Times do not believe that the worker peasants and serfs even have a Right to self defense, but if attacked, must beg for mercy from the merciless.

The L.A. Times also supports every left wing cause that "liberal progressives" want to pass, Federal, State, and local.

Do not ever think that the L.A. Times, biased to the far left, will change. It won't.

L.W.

HorseSoldier
February 8, 2013, 12:01 AM
The whole article isn't about disarming the government machine, it's about disarming those who leave the government machine and become "dangerous citizens with guns". The point being made, is that only those who are currently serving in the government can be trusted. That is according to this goon LA times writer. This has nothing about making the military equal to the citizenry or fulfilling the 2nd Amendment. Quite the contrary, this person believes citizens who served in the military or as law enforcement should have even less rights than regular citizens. He feels that once they leave their profession and have done their duty, that they automatically turn into deranged psychos suffering from PTSD.

It's like the Christopher Dorner situation has just clued the moron behind the keyboard into the fact that we live in a world where there are wolves, and there are sheep, and there are sheep dogs in between . . . but the only significant difference in the skill set for a wolf and a sheep dog is how those skills are applied.

Man, the grown-up world is scary. Sometimes I wish I could wander around with the naivete of a six year old, too . . .

fanchisimo
February 8, 2013, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I read his manifesto. He says the LAPD is full of corruption but trusts the US government fully. Yeah, his anti-rant began at the end of page ten, I think. I find it contradictory that he is using arms in his efforts to fight a corrupt police department, but then says they should all be banned. That makes no sense.

Fremmer
February 8, 2013, 12:12 AM
I hear his manifesto praises Obama, Feinstein, Morgan and gun control. So maybe we need gun control for Obama supporters. The rest of us can stay free.

Manco
February 8, 2013, 12:38 AM
Wait, I thought the cops and military were the only ones "properly trained" in their use.

(Sarcasm noted)

Why don't we ask the three people were just shot at (two hit, one seriously) by panicked, trigger-happy police officers in Torrance, CA?

Manco
February 8, 2013, 12:55 AM
THIS makes me crazy. Vets and retired LEOs should be awarded CCW's upon application and [I]ought to be our most trusted citizens.

Nah, just like everybody else, there are good ones and bad ones. Bad people will always be able to obtain firearms, illegally if necessary, so at the very least good people should be allowed to have the same firearms in order to protect themselves from bad people.

Ms_Dragon
February 8, 2013, 01:04 AM
It seems to me that they are toying with the idea of disarming the most obvious threat in the event of a civil war.

gossamer
February 8, 2013, 01:07 AM
It seems to me that they are toying with the idea of disarming the most obvious threat in the event of a civil war.

Who?

fanchisimo
February 8, 2013, 01:20 AM
Yup, he praises most of the progressive-minded politicians out there, but he also says he admires George Bush, Sr. He claims that he was able to get suppressors and I think he mentioned SBR's too.

Shadow 7D
February 8, 2013, 01:32 AM
Um, old guy did a damnable job in this old war
Guy by the Name of George Washington
Old Indian (as in French and Indian) Wars Vet....

TennJed
February 8, 2013, 01:47 AM
This is why I don't like the "mental health" crap they're trying to put in the new gun laws. Far to broad of a term and ripe for abuse considering ObamaCare will be your health insurer. OCD? DENIED! :uhoh:

PTSD doesn't mean a person is or will become homicidal. They certainly are trying to put fear and paranoia into everyone aren't they. Whatever it takes to make the world how they want it.
I agree. It will not be long till collecting guns will be a mental illiness. You have 10 revolvers???? Why are you hoarding????? Who are you afraid of??????

Manco
February 8, 2013, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I read his manifesto. He says the LAPD is full of corruption but trusts the US government fully. Yeah, his anti-rant began at the end of page ten, I think. I find it contradictory that he is using arms in his efforts to fight a corrupt police department, but then says they should all be banned. That makes no sense.

Well, he's an anti, and bald-faced contradictions and non sequiturs necessarily come with the territory whenever they attempt to use logic.

Manco
February 8, 2013, 02:10 AM
Why don't we ask the three people were just shot at (two hit, one seriously) by panicked, trigger-happy police officers in Torrance, CA?

Here's a story about two of the victims involved in one of the two incidents:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/02/ex-cop-manhunt-newspaper-delivery-women-shot.html

While the media isn't completely ignoring this, they are far from outraged and not that near giving a crap, for that matter. I guess it's OK as long as it's cops who are shooting innocent people they didn't bother to identify. I guess their lives are a small price to pay to help ensure the safety of more important people. :fire:

HorseSoldier
February 8, 2013, 02:37 AM
The NYPD shooting a while back wasn't a media firestorm either. The MSM seems to have a certain acceptance of collateral damage from law enforcement -- probably because the media is essentially a very simplistic storyteller and if the story has a criminal badguy and law enforcement good guys, extra body count just helps sell papers/airtime/etc. Despite 24 hours to work with, nuance is not something our media can manage.

blarby
February 8, 2013, 02:53 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0208-manhunt-20130208,0,5044940.story

Almost the same story- just later version.

I love the incredible bias in that the police have "rifles" and we have "assault rifles".

Fantastic.

mljdeckard
February 8, 2013, 03:02 AM
Sometimes they slip and show their true intentions.

Bobson
February 8, 2013, 03:07 AM
If only we had all been born back before the Chinese discovered the formula for gunpowder. Imagine how peaceful it must have been to live before these horrible tools for murder and carnage were around. I bet Genghis Khan and Julius Caesar were real chummy with the guys; it was all jokes and smiles back then, from what I've read.

r1derbike
February 8, 2013, 03:12 AM
The ancient Chinese used to rip each other to shreds with their long fingernails.

krupparms
February 8, 2013, 03:30 AM
The last time I applied for V.A. benefits, the V.A. said my ex-wife gave me PTSD! I guess if you get a divorced your crazy also! Funny I thought it was the smart thing to do!

CapnMac
February 8, 2013, 03:58 AM
Remember the quip about the east coast professor who said "McGovern lost? I don't see how, every on I knew voted for him."

Mind set goes, "I'd be crazy to join the military."
Thus, "Anyone who voluntarily joins the military is crazy."
which is coupled to the inculcation through movies and media that "Every one in the military, is or becomes, some psycho-sociopathic mad-dog killer." (Even the cooks, baker, and clerks.)
So, all military people are just one flashback from ramboing entire towns--QED. (Or, more rightly, Quo erat absurdia demonstarum.)

HorseSoldier
February 8, 2013, 04:08 AM
So war hero's are all potential criminals and not to be trusted now

That's part of a worldview that holds that everyone is a potential criminal, so the rights of everyone should be curtailed.

The scary part about veterans to people like the Canadian dweeb quoted by the OP is not really that some portion of us have PTSD, it's that some portion of us spent the last however many years learning very dangerous skills and then perfecting them in unpleasant parts of the globe.

PTSD in these kinds of conversations is really just a socially acceptable shorthand for people to declare "I'm a sheep, and it scares the hell out of me that my neighbor spent three years of his life in Iraq being a wolf." Vietnam vets got tarred with a similar brush for similar reasons deep down at the structural level of culture, however people dressed it up when they talked about it.

Shadow 7D
February 8, 2013, 04:27 AM
PTSD in these kinds of conversations is really just a socially acceptable shorthand for people to declare "I'm a sheep, and it scares the hell out of me that my neighbor spent three years of his life in Iraq being a wolf." Vietnam vets got tarred with a similar brush for similar reasons deep down at the structural level of culture, however people dressed it up when they talked about it.
That, and that thanks to the two generations of veterans before us, it's no longer to just out and out yell 'baby killer' and throw blood on a veteran (mighty dangerous to do too..)

rather, the sheeple of the 60's and 70's have 'grown up' and now say 'they are crazy and need our help'

but the message is the same "veterans are dangerous"

Double Naught Spy
February 8, 2013, 08:46 AM
THIS makes me crazy. Vets and retired LEOs should be awarded CCW's upon application [I'm old enough that I remember when they were, even some counties here in California] and ought to be our most trusted citizens.

If they are no longer cops, then they should be subject to the same review process as everyone else.

w9trb
February 8, 2013, 09:28 AM
Seems to me that all the Iraq and Afghanistan just got called "Baby Killer," just like some of our earlier vets. Seems that the Left is now abandoning the mantra "hate war, but we support the troops". The gloves are coming off.

Bhi curamach
February 8, 2013, 10:13 AM
^^^This.
And one more to grow on!

In an unrelated query, what have the poor wee folk done to incur your wrath sidhe shooter?
Banshees keeping you up at night? Leprechaun not forthcoming with the gold?
Pookies and kiulchies ... jokes gone to far I think.
A jest sir, only kidding!

SoCalNoMore
February 8, 2013, 10:38 AM
Everyone has read the cop's manifesto, right?

Pro-gun control, pro-AWB, etc., etc...

http://pastebin.com/TAzPRfPy
I believe we all, as logical thinking humans, have a point at which we will break. A point that will make us lose our core values and become the opposite of what we think we are. I know my breaking point, at least I think I do. I came to it once in my life. I know what situations would occur to make me lose my values.

Think to yourself what your breaking point is/would be. I do not condone this guys actions one iota, but it does make me think again about my own point of no return.

SoCalNoMore
February 8, 2013, 10:39 AM
That's part of a worldview that holds that everyone is a potential criminal, so the rights of everyone should be curtailed.

The scary part about veterans to people like the Canadian dweeb quoted by the OP is not really that some portion of us have PTSD, it's that some portion of us spent the last however many years learning very dangerous skills and then perfecting them in unpleasant parts of the globe.

Could not agree more. Well said

r1derbike
February 8, 2013, 10:51 AM
Using cops and vets for reasoning behind any antis' rhetorical effluent, seems insulting enough, it gave me pause to realize there are truly ignorant, and blatantly stupid human beings around us.

The attacks are a tragedy. I hope this nut job gets what he deserves, eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. I predict he will go down in a blaze, and remembered for the scum he has become.

I have many friends who have done multiple tours; it changed them in ways they hadn't anticipated, but they are grounded enough to keep those changes from affecting their social behaviors, from what I've witnessed. I respect them, and they know it. Maybe respect is the reassurance that many of them need?

Manco
February 8, 2013, 11:13 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0208-manhunt-20130208,0,5044940.story

Almost the same story- just later version.

I love the incredible bias in that the police have "rifles" and we have "assault rifles".

Fantastic.

Well, it makes perfect sense from their point of view--rifles are only "assault rifles" when in the hands of the bad guys. Now we know who the bad guys supposedly are--the people.

Bobson
February 8, 2013, 04:43 PM
I believe we all, as logical thinking humans, have a point at which we will break. A point that will make us lose our core values and become the opposite of what we think we are. I know my breaking point, at least I think I do. I came to it once in my life. I know what situations would occur to make me lose my values.
Wait, what?

I think I followed you accurately here, but that can't be what you really meant.

the_skunk
February 10, 2013, 02:49 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/07/article-2274956-176B0E40000005DC-864_638x425.jpg

Devonai
February 10, 2013, 04:45 PM
So for decades, the VA has been trying to remove the stigma of PTSD and encourage service members to seek treatment. What do these idiots think will happen if veterans find out they could lose their firearms if they seek treatment for PTSD?

The shortsightedness of it is appalling.

santanzchild
February 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
When I came back from Iraq they where damn near forcing people into PTSD screenings. This is why I and many others wouldn't get near it. Was in the Cav and I am not losing my rights for doing what the government asked for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Manco
February 11, 2013, 12:48 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/07/article-2274956-176B0E40000005DC-864_638x425.jpg

Looks like they wanted to kill the passenger at least as much as the driver. :scrutiny: How many people are they looking for, again?

I feel even safer now that they took out those assault tires--maybe they felt that Asian women would use them as weapons of mass destruction. :rolleyes:

trauma
February 11, 2013, 01:35 PM
^^^Because of the color of your TRUCK…………….

Cosmoline
February 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
Those in the law enforcement and military communities who think the "sheep" need to be disarmed (including the currently at-large woman killer down there) need to remember--they come for us today, but they're coming for you tomorrow.

The privileges handed out to LEO's and retired cops in various anti-gun states are not written on stone tablets. As Franklin noted, if we do not hang together we shall surely hang separately. The Wolf/Sheepdog/Sheep mentality needs to be buried once and for all. We are all citizens. Not warriors and civilians. Citizens. And if it takes a threat to retired cop carry in California or Cuomo's "accidental" oversight forgetting to exempt LEO's in NY to remind certain people of this, so much the better. There should be one law for everyone. That used to be taken as a given.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Ban Needed To Prevent Ex-Cops /Military From Murdering People With Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!