How full of a tang?

PDA

Hamburger
February 8, 2013, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty new to blades so I'm hoping someone here could school me on what "Full Tang" really means.

Here's the scoop on where I'm lost. I purchased the SOG Jungle Warrior and removed the rubber handle that covers the grip. That's when I discovered that there is a lot less metal in the grip than I expected. So now I'm kinda iffy on purchasing another SOG product such as the SOG Force that caught my attention for the fear that the metal in that grip will be very thin or very minimal. This was far from my expectation of full tang. I expected the metal in the grip to be just as hefty as the blade portion or even heftier.

An example of my expectation would be something like Gerbers's LHR. Just by looking at that, you can see it's full tang.

Your $0.02 is much appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "How full of a tang?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50 Shooter
February 8, 2013, 01:02 AM
Full tang means just that, the blade is one complete piece from tip to tang. How much metal you get is determined by the maker. I've seen full tang knives with a lot less steel then what you have there.

Cheap knives will break, quality won't.

gazpacho
February 8, 2013, 04:12 AM
The tang is the part of the tang that goes into the grip. A full tang would have metal from the blade running the full length of the grip.

The weighting of a knife is really dependent on it's intended usage. For instance, the Kukri is a chopping knife and is very point heavy to aid in this.

hso
February 8, 2013, 06:27 PM
Do you have a pic that will show the entire length of the knife from point to butt?

Indifferent
February 8, 2013, 06:41 PM
I would have considered that a hidden tang.

If you enjoyed reading about "How full of a tang?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!