Weighing a choice - sell ammo to finance new pistol, Opinions?

PDA

anothernewb
February 8, 2013, 12:52 PM
I got a decent deal on some 223 ammo, which leaves me with 2100 rounds in the safe.
1k is a case of lake city 55grain brass, and the other 1100 is a mix of American eagle tactical 55 grain, lake city 55 grain and 62 grain, 100 rounds of 69 grain match, and about 100 cheap steel wolf.

First off - the current climate is making my ammo hoarding nerve twitch.. But, facing some reality - I like to shoot my AR just like every one else, but I don't blow through more than 100 rounds or so in a range session, more often less, as I often shoot with a couple buddys and their AR's and, as when any 2 or more guys get together, it's competition - and the bet's on for the best shots and groups. I did the bump fire thing at first and blew through rounds like water, but I got that out of my system.

The other side of the coin - I've been hunting for 3 things.
1. A lighter weight 22 pistol
2. Middle weight 38 spl or 357 revolver
These are to help get the wife and the 14 year old daughter into shooting. They're both tiny things - and alot of the semi auto grips are kinda big for them. Save for the SR22, the rest of my handguns just aren't comfortable for them.
3. Iv'e also got the hots for a sig 238 or 938 real bad...

Sooooo.... I'm debating putting either the case or the loose rounds up in trade/partial trade for one of the three.
I also have 11 mags. 3 are pmags (new) and the others are USGI 20's and 30's - I'm mulling 3 of them over as well.

Thoughts - ideas? Am I being dumb and greedy, Should I jump on a trade, or hoard it and gamble on another price hike..

If you enjoyed reading about "Weighing a choice - sell ammo to finance new pistol, Opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Constrictor
February 8, 2013, 12:55 PM
if you can make some money on the ammo do it. you have plenty of other guns to shoot until the cheap ammo comes back.

Lost Sheep
February 8, 2013, 03:26 PM
It would make more sense, to me, to sell some of your (factory packaged) ammunition to finance the purchase of a reloading setup.

It does make sense to me to sell your (theoretical) inflated-price Glock 17 to finance something you desire more.

If I had a stash of gold and a stash of silver, and the price of gold was up and silver down, it would make sense to trade gold for silver now and re-balance my holdings later.

When the price of any commodity goes up and a substitutable alternative commodity is down, it makes sense to substitute using the other for the one.

In economics, Stock Market day-traders do this all the time. Fortunes have been made (and lost) playing the imbalances in currency trading. A good trader rides the ripples in the market. A bad (or unlucky) one gets wiped out like a clumsy surfer.

It seems like a reasonable economic trade to me. You have a commodity that is currently at the crest of a wave and the opportunity to trade on that advantage for an item that is probably not at the crest and may even be at a trough.

Now, for the moral implications. Some people might say you are taking unfair advantage, and price gouging. Others will congratulate you on your wisdom (or good luck) and fault you not for taking advantage of a situation you had no part in creating.

Enjoy your new revolver. (But my recommendation is, "Enjoy your new reloading press".)

Lost Sheep

edit: Unless you believe the shortage will not end. In that case, hang on. But before the internet collapses, Google "The Hunt Brothers and the Silver Bubble".

bushmaster1313
February 8, 2013, 03:31 PM
Make money on the ammo

JohnBiltz
February 8, 2013, 03:34 PM
I would hang onto ammo right now, its going to be a year at least before anything resembling normality happens. If you like to shoot I would not get rid of any ammo.

rgwalt
February 8, 2013, 03:34 PM
2100 rounds is a decent amount of ammo, as long as you aren't prepping for the end if the world. In your shoes, I would seriously evaluate how much ammo is selling for in your area, as well as how much money you have in the ammo. The new normal price for .223 when you find it retail is $0.50 to $0.70 per round for new brass in my area. If you decide to sell, post 1000 rounds for $600-$700 and see if someone will make you an offer.

You can combine selling off your stock with being diligent and shopping for more ammo at decent prices when you can. Just be sure and charge more for yours than it will cost you to replace it at normal retail prices.

Waywatcher
February 8, 2013, 04:56 PM
I did exactly what you are contemplating, and I am as happy as a clam now.

I sold 1840 rounds of .223/5.56 and bought two vintage S&Ws, an M27 .357 and an M15 .38, plus nice grips to go with them. :D

Follow your instinct. It's a good time to sell that ammo right now. There is nothing morally wrong with selling ammunition at current market prices.

hueyville
February 8, 2013, 05:11 PM
Ammo will be back. If you get a chance to double down, take it. I do every bubble but this one is busting. Shelves are filling back up and the panic crowd seems to have maxed the credit cards around here. Price on SKS private sells have dropped 150.00 past two weeks thus all mine are off the table till next freak out.

Newcatwalt
February 8, 2013, 06:13 PM
You have to do what's right for you. To me, 2100 rounds is not very much ammo, especially for an AR. It would only last me about 21 weeks, if that. Who knows when ammo will be available again at reasonable prices. You can always make more money; you can't always find ammo.

Queen_of_Thunder
February 8, 2013, 06:40 PM
Thats what I did. Sold ammo to buy a Glock 20 and supplies for those calibers I shoot on a regular basis. I'm slowly replacing my .223 with 5.56 at $0.45 a round. Granted Academy will only sale me one box of it per day but what the hey. It adds up in the end.

JonnyGringo
February 8, 2013, 07:32 PM
I personally would not gamble on the assurance that cheap ammo will be available soon. Maybe it will........maybe not.

thump_rrr
February 8, 2013, 07:53 PM
I would dump the ammo as fast as I could but what do I know.
I only have 10LBS of XBR, 5,000 small rifle primers, 6,000 55gr FMJ's and 10,000 pieces of brass.

Al Thompson
February 9, 2013, 09:35 AM
These are to help get the wife and the 14 year old daughter into shooting.

Can't think of a better reason. :) But you need to move fast (like this morning) to get your ammo listed on GB as I'm seeing the prices drop.

ApacheCoTodd
February 9, 2013, 11:44 AM
These are perspectives which worked out for me and I'm happy with them.

By your rough math - you only have .223 for 21 or less shooting events. That's not much.
The Handguns you currently desire are unlikely to be hit too hard by future legislation so the crisis buy isn't really there.
When you do go to replace the potentially sold ammo: how much more (less?) do you think it'll cost than the current sale price and won't the handguns most likely be less after this current buying spree?
Of course, another important way to look at it is: If ammo sale/manufacture is not restricted there will be a glut from the present manufacturing ramp-up in addition to the number of folk selling it off their backs at shows to re-coup money from crisis induced over buying as has happened in the past. Essentially a back flow of supply driving the price down later.
So:
Will your currently valuable ammo be inexpensively replaced later?
Will the firearms you want be available later?
Will volume ammo purchase/sale be a surprise "reasonable" legislation now being kept close to the vest to avoid more hoarding?

I say, keep what ya got, it's an expendable and it's not as much as you think and prioritize those handgun purchases outside of perceived value of your ammo.

Sock Puppet
February 9, 2013, 11:48 AM
2100 rounds isn't that much in my opionion.

Akita1
February 9, 2013, 11:49 AM
2100 rounds isn't that much in my opionion.
+1 puppet

bannockburn
February 9, 2013, 12:47 PM
I would hold on to my ammo and either trade/sell a gun I wasn't using much or save up to buy something new. I also agree with those who say 2100 rounds of .223 isn't all that much to have.

itchy1
February 9, 2013, 08:56 PM
.223 is simply too expensive to shoot right now. I would sell all but a few hundred rounds of it and let someone else pay the premium for it. If the prices never come back down(highly doubt it), then take the money and invest in something that is actually closer to affordable to shoot. I have a feeling that the firearms bubble will eventually burst and there will be a lot of buyers remorse from those who bought out of fear rather than a sense of enjoyment.

CB900F
February 9, 2013, 09:23 PM
Another;

Ignoring the sell/retain ammo question, I'm wondering what your looking at for the handguns. Here's my take: The GSG/SIG 1911-22 would be a pretty decent choice for a .22 semi-auto platform. It operates like a centerfire 1911 & would be an excellent transition gun, if it fits their hands. Being a single-stack platform, it's a good bet that it won't be too large a grip either. I'm not sure, but if standard 1911 grips fit, and I'd think they would, you have an almost unlimited aftermarket to find good grips for either of them.

You should be able to find a .357 S&W platform for a very reasonable price these days. Although there is a market upsurge, wheel guns don't seem to be the golden guns of it & are still at sane, if a little elevated, prices. I'd include the Ruger GP100, but that's a pretty heavy unit. The Ruger SP101 is a 5-shot & is still a substantial handful. There may be a Colt out there with your name on it, but don't hold yer breath. Other than that, there's a ton of lesser known guns such as the Llama's and other Euro imports, Dan Wesson's, Iver Johnson's and many hardware store branded units from the 19th & 20th centuries many made by somebody somewhere. Quality varies in other words.

Is a single action revolver acceptable? They're many fine guns available and as an added advantage they are an excellent training platform. The Ruger Blackhawk and/or Single six can be found almost anywhere and are almost indestructable.

900F

mrvco
February 9, 2013, 11:57 PM
Sell it at a profit while you can.

I don't shoot 223, but what I do shoot is almost back to normal prices at my LGS's.

hueyville
February 10, 2013, 02:06 AM
At top of bubble when folks were lining up at night to see if a few boxes of 22lr were in Wallyworld nightly stock, I sold a quarter million had been stockpiling for years. Sold 2,000 5.56 and six SKS's. Price dropped now where not worth effort. Wait a bit, buy more and sell next panic. The government is building an almost guaranteed investment scheme for people willing to buy a brick or case of ammo every week when things are stable.

BSA1
February 10, 2013, 12:35 PM
Ammo will be back. If you get a chance to double down, take it. I do every bubble but this one is busting. Shelves are filling back up and the panic crowd seems to have maxed the credit cards around here

That must be a local issue. It certainly is not the case where I live or according to industry experts who are predicting supply will not catch up with demand for a year. And that does not take into account how many gun laws Obama and the Libs get passed and the effect of his executive orders.

You can always make more money; you can't always find ammo.

Or at affordable prices and quanities.

Should I jump on a trade, or hoard it and gamble on another price hike..

You are considering selling your ammo at a inflated price to buy a gun (if you find it) at a equally inflated price. Only now you will not have the ammo.

On the other hand if you wait until the bubble busts you can still sell the ammo at a lower cost while also buying the gun you want for a equally lower or better price if demand slacks enough.

As the song goes “You have to know when to hold them”…

HOWARD J
February 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
In this lawsuit crazy country I would not give or sell any ammo to anyone.

hueyville
February 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
howard j, how so? parking lot of gun shop or gun show, whose to know or care. You don't have to give someone a copy of your drivers license to sell them a box or twenty of ammo. I don't even swap names. On rifles I do a receipt to show who the gun went to but don't put my name on it as the seller. That way if cops ever want to know where it went, I have the info. If the buyer asks me to put my name on the receipt, he doesn't get the gun. Fair? My guns to sell, my choice how to fill out the bill of sale. I am obligated to know where it went and that is all I do.

HOWARD J
February 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
@hueyville
Glad you got lots to sell
This country is about to get a dose of laws we have had in MI for many years
RE: Gun Shows---all gun sales have to be approved by FBI
You better have some peperwork when you get rid of a gun

HOWARD J
February 10, 2013, 08:07 PM
I am afraid those easy sales at gun shows are about to be cut by new laws

CZ223
February 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
A gun without ammo is also a hammer. I continue to buy inexpensive ammo at Wal-Mart when it is available even if I don't need it immediately. I am also reloading for several different calibers and continue to buy components when ever I get the cahnce at reasonable prices. Unfortunately these days "reasonable prices" seem to change every day. Last week I was able to buy primers for $35/k, today it was $42/K. I would rather trade a gun for ammo or components than the other way around. In fact, if things don't change soon, I will sell my AK's and their ammo and use the proceeds to finance the purchase of more 223, and various handgun ammo/components.

hueyville
February 10, 2013, 10:08 PM
Howard, I do a bill of sale without my name but have buyers name. I have made most of what needed to already. Can one off private sales way out of roving eyes if need to. If laws change significantly will just rent a table and move inside instead of sitting on tailgate of truck.

Fishslayer
February 11, 2013, 12:16 PM
Depends on what you think is gonna happen legislatively. If you think that ammo sales will be severely restricted, hold on. If not, trade away.

If I had legal standard cap mags no way I would be getting rid of them. Strictly my worthless opinion but I would consider a capacity limit of 10 rounds to be somewhat likely. And I could be totally wrong.

22-rimfire
February 11, 2013, 12:33 PM
I would only sell ammunition face to face. That of course is limiting.

Frankly I don't think you can afford another gun right now. Selling ammunition that you believed you needed is no way to finance the purchase of a firearm unless you just have goobs of the stuff. 2100 rounds is not gobbs, but it is not nothing.

anothernewb
February 11, 2013, 04:48 PM
Got a gun show coming up Saturday. If prices are like they were at the last one I went to (5.56 was at $1.00/round)- IF I decide to unload some ammo, I was thinking selling in the $0.65/round or so. 2 1/2 times what I paid for it.

Really looking at my shooting - where I live, "outdoor shooting season' is may to September. not really a fan of shooting a rifle from a snowbank, lol. Even at half my curent supply, that's realistically an entire year of shooting pretty much every available weekend.

I Have decided to sell the steel case stuff regardless. I never shot it even when it was plentiful. Not that I have anything against it, just personal choice.

HoosierQ
February 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
I sold all my 30 round Magpul mags at a gun show. Got $50 each for them, sold them all to one guy...and he was the first guy that was interested in that price. 3 or 4 guys offered me less and I passed and told them to find me later. I had my man after about 75 minutes in the door. There wasn't a panic or a rush to get them but I hit the right guy and he took them all for $50 each. Given the degree to which his mouth was watering and his eyes were spinning (I hope this fella doesn't play poker) I declined his offer of $40 each and he said "what the heck"...and ponied up.

I figured I'd sell one or two right off, lower the price, sell a couple more, and take a few home. Nope.

You're not sticking it to widows or orphans by selling ammo at current market prices. The fellas that consider buying at your price can walk away. It's only gouging if it is something people really need and cannot find other alternatives for...food and water in a disaster zone kind of thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weighing a choice - sell ammo to finance new pistol, Opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!