SAR8

PDA

Beav
February 2, 2003, 05:40 PM
I've read that the SAR8 is the best HK91 clone, is this true?
Also, is there anything I should know about them, anything to look for if I was to buy one? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "SAR8" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
another48hrs
February 2, 2003, 06:22 PM
The number one important thing to know is that you are looking for the Greek version of the SAR8 and not the American aluminum version. The American version has green furniture and a rail built into it.

Beav
February 2, 2003, 10:29 PM
So if I couldn't get one made in Greece would an American aluminum one be the next best thing or should I then get a Century or something else? Thanks!

iamkris
February 2, 2003, 10:49 PM
I can't give you first hand knowledge of the aluminum receivered SAR8. I can let you know of the Century C91. In general, Century has a so so reputation for quality of builds. The CETME s they are building have some dubious manufacturing practicies (grinding back of bolthead with resulting unclear ability to gauge headspace/wear of parts). I've heard of C91s with crooked cocking tubes welded on, gritty internals, cocking handles binding.

That said, I bought a C91 at a local gunshow for $420 and couldn't be happier. Accurate, reliable, free cycling. Shoots near POA. Really barks and gets attention at the range.

Kind of a crap shoot with the Century. I'd recommend NOT buying it sight unseen. Read up on them and determine how to check headspace. Cycle it. If the seller will let you, disassemble and/or fire it first.

another48hrs
February 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
SAR8s' made in Greece are really close to a copy of an HK91, because they use the same tooling as HK did. Another place that made G3 clones with HK tooling are Portugese rifles. These rifles are called G3S and XG3S. G3S is the preban version and XG3S is the postban like the SAR8. SAR8s(The Greek kind) are not that hard to find and you can find them for some good prices too. The best price I found on one was 800 on gunbroker, but I always keep my eyes peeled on sturmgewehr.com for things like that.

Destructo6
February 3, 2003, 12:35 AM
As said, the next closest to Oberndorf HK is...

Greek-made, by Hellenic Arms/EBO SAR3, SAR3/8, SAR8.

Portuguese-made, by FMP, G3, G3S, XG3S. Bare receivers were imported as the FMP SLG-95 and INDEP for Interport.

The American-made aluminium SAR8 is pretty far down the list.

SteyrAUG
February 3, 2003, 01:40 PM
Destructo6 is dead on. The only thing I'd add the the current US made Sar 8 is damn near as crappy as the CAI HK G3. But both would make a pretty decent boat anchor.

Beav
February 3, 2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I've decided to hold off on the SAR8 since I do have a FAL on the way. I think I'll eventually go for an AK103 from AKUSA instead.

If you enjoyed reading about "SAR8" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!