Whats the most you have overpaid for an reloading item in this frenzy?

PDA

bugsbunny45
February 8, 2013, 08:37 PM
I admit it I purchased 1K Small pistol primers 89.00.
I wimped out on some 1K rifle primers when it hit 80.00

3x Pre frenzy cost is a TAD much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the most you have overpaid for an reloading item in this frenzy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vtail
February 8, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hornady #10 shell plate for $76.00 on eBay.

If only I hadn't bought that .40S&W.....

beatledog7
February 8, 2013, 08:51 PM
I have not over paid for a single thing. Post SH I bought a .357 Sig barrel for my G22 and a set of Lee dies for the round, but I paid normal prices. I swapped around for some brass. I already had everything else on hand.

I still do.

bugsbunny45
February 8, 2013, 09:05 PM
FRENZY I just saw 5k small rifle primers on Gunbroker 399.00 buy now price. Current bid 305.00 think think they will sale?

Reefinmike
February 8, 2013, 09:21 PM
$90/k :eek:

Thats 4,500 tula primers right there! I guess if it came down to either no shooting at all or pay the cost of factory ammo to roll my own Id pay 9 cents a primer but id be darn sure that every local gun shop in the are is completely out of any primer that will work(magnum primers, small rifle for pistol etc etc).

Im just glad I was able to get in my long planned purchase from midway on dec 26th. I had to use small rifle instead of small pistol but that doesnt really matter. I opened the door january 16th to the fedex man with a package containing 7k tula SRP, 3k tula lpp and 5 pounds of HP38. not a hoarding order, but that and all the ammo I have packed in 8 50 cal cans should last me about 18 months. Im riding out the storm.

If anything, panic made me money. When I saw 223 brass was going for $200+/k on gunbroker, I got to thinking on how I could turn range time into a new gun, dies, bullet molds etc. During two range trips, I was able to grab 5,500 pieces of brass in about 4 hours. another 6 hours sorting and cleaning and then i sold it all locally for a fair price for $110/k. people were lining up to buy the stuff and I limited them to 2k each so everyone that replied within 10 minutes of my armslist post could get some. in the end I got $600, bought a tisas 1911, a six banger bullet mold, 45acp dies, a tank of gas and groceries for the week. who woulda thought you could those things on the floor of the range :cool:

justsoIcanupvotethis
February 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
Jeez $89 a thousand? That makes me feel better. Only thing I have overpaid for I havent actualy paid for yet. I have an order in with Sierra for 77 grain SMKs for list price. Which I thought was WAY overpriced but then again still havent seen any sign of them being shipped or billed for that matter.

SleazyRider
February 8, 2013, 09:26 PM
Whoa, you guys are high rollers. I just paid 6 bucks for a little tin of 100 Remington #10 black powder caps at Ginder Mountain. My behind is still hurtin', but they were the last ones on the shelf and I wasn't about to let 'em get away.

LUCKYDAWG13
February 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
WOW $89. for 1000 SPP i thought i got hosed when i bought a brick for $37.
i feel god now

klcmschlesinger
February 8, 2013, 09:35 PM
I have another thread with this information but I was at a gun shop today that was taking orders for small pistol primers for $247 per 1000. Needless to say I didn't buy any, but that is worst I have seen.

bugsbunny45
February 8, 2013, 09:45 PM
I will be at the range with a pellet gun before I pay 250 for 1k of primers.

jolly roger
February 8, 2013, 09:48 PM
Whew...thought I was nuts buying 1K Federal Large Rifle Match a couple weeks ago for $60. A steal by comparison..

USSR
February 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
You guys got it all wrong. You buy your reloading supplies BEFORE the drought, not during it. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Don

LightningMan
February 8, 2013, 09:54 PM
Well I think I hit a new high when I paid $35 for a 500 rd. brick of Winchester High Velocity .22 LR ammunition. Its the only ammunition I didn't stock up on, nor can I reload either. LM

HOWARD J
February 8, 2013, 09:54 PM
What frenzy.
My supplies are good forabout 3 years

Milamber
February 8, 2013, 09:58 PM
I point blank refuse to buy at panic prices. Heck Wally World has loads of WWB for $36 a hundred .40sw. None of this bull will pass. Just be patient

45lcshooter
February 8, 2013, 10:11 PM
Haven't seen a frenzy here. Buy low, keep buying low. Store but not hoard. No frenzy prices around here, powders still 20-25 dollars, primers 30 per K. Bullets only have kept up a few dollars. Bullets are the only thing that the shops are a little thin on.

Jenrick
February 8, 2013, 10:52 PM
~$50 1k of SR benchrest primers, only reason I got them is a buddy is paying me to load 1K of .223. He's willing to pay the current market price for the components, who am I to tell him no?

-Jenrick

ngnrd
February 8, 2013, 11:03 PM
I haven't really overpaid here. Although I've had to be vigilant in my searches, and I've spent a lot of time staring at bare shelves, so far I've been able to find everything I've needed for pre-panic prices plus maybe about 5-10% (like $40 for primers that usually sell here for $35). Patience is the key. Now, if I could just find a keg of CFE223 powder anywhere locally, I'd be set. Shipping powder and primers to Alaska gets pretty darn expensive, so I'll have to wait until the LGS finally gets some in. I suppose it's good that I've still got a few pounds to use up in the mean time.

oldreloader
February 8, 2013, 11:03 PM
You guys got it all wrong. You buy your reloading supplies BEFORE the drought, not during it. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Don
Yeppers! Especially when you can see it coming.I don't have enough to sell or share but I'm well stocked for me. I learned my lesson in the last crunch.

gamestalker
February 8, 2013, 11:08 PM
I bought some H110 and paid $21.99 rather than the $17.99 I normally pay for it. Other than that everything has been pretty much the same price give or take a few cents. Primers haven't shown a noticable increase, .0039 increase each, and I use CCI exclusively. Bullets for .357 have been within a buck of what I normally spend. Brass has been as usualy, so no change there.

GS

Centurian22
February 8, 2013, 11:12 PM
Wow $80-$250/1000 makes me feel SOOO much better about the $54/1000 I paid for small pistol primers two weeks ago when my buddy got the call that 2000 came in. We showed up minutes later and bought 1000 each. Only shop in town able to get SPP and we both just got into reloading so never had the change to "stock up before the madness". It will be nice when the price drops eventually.

mgmorden
February 8, 2013, 11:17 PM
Only reloading stuff I've bought during this craziness is:

1 Hornady .40S&W Die Set - $42 from Grafs
1 box of 100 Hornady JHP .40cal JHP's - $18 from Grafs
1 box of 100 Berrys .40cal 180gr plated bullets - $16 from MidwayUSA

I've got 2000 9mm 147gr FMJ's on backorder with Precision Delta. Those should be around $210 when they ship.

Overall I don't think I've done too bad here. In general I've been working my way through stuff I already have. I've got enough primers to last me nearly 2 more years at the rate I shoot and enough powder to last 7-8 months. Bullets are dwindling but I've got enough to go another month or two of shooting. Hoping that PD back order makes it here before those run out :).

savanahsdad
February 8, 2013, 11:17 PM
I just paid $26 for 1lbs of Bulls Eye and $28 for 1lbs of IMR 4320 three days ago :mad:

ArchAngelCD
February 8, 2013, 11:32 PM
I refuse to overpay for anything. I would rather do without but I won't have to. I'm also taking notes on the locals and what they are charging. I will remember everything when things settle down.

BTW, just today I saw a brick of CCI Standard Velocity 22LR ammo marked $49.99. (they had 10 bricks) I asked the counter guy if that was a mistake and he said no. In my head I said, "oh yes it is because I will never buy here again." I know full well the prices went up and another local store had the same ammo for $32/brick but $50, I don't think so!!!

cfullgraf
February 8, 2013, 11:32 PM

Don

Yes.

Remember the Five P's (paraphrasing) Poor Planning Precedes Poor Purchasing.

gab909
February 9, 2013, 12:10 AM
Good for you, I have been hanging around my usual gun shop and he is treating everyone the same. Well me a little bit better. He Had an AR in and sold it for 1199.00 his regular price. the buyer got pissed, 1 week prior he had purchased the same one down the road for 1899.00. Gougers need to be remembered and I will not feel bad when they go out of business. They won't because as PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". They will never have my business again.

GW Staar
February 9, 2013, 12:15 AM
The best planning only works if you have the necessary money left by the time more important priorties are taken care of, at the time that planning deems is right to buy. Sometimes its better to buy high, than to buy low when the cash ought to go somewhere else.

Since it's always more pleasant to buy low, make sure perceived need is not just a want driven by panic....... Be patient. Its not like the end is here.....just a stupid temporary period when the people mistakenly think Democrats have an answer to their miseries. This too shall pass.

FROGO207
February 9, 2013, 12:16 AM
I did buy a couple packs of beef jerky at the LGS the other day---same price as always. The various LGS in the area were always a bit high with their prices traditionally but I give them credit that when restocking they have kept the prices virtually the same as last year on what they have in stock. Now it seems as a deal.:D

ArchAngelCD
February 9, 2013, 12:21 AM
We all know in the current environment prices will go up somewhat since the distributors are raising prices but we all know 22LR ammo did not go up 150% overnight.

Primers that were $28.95/1000 can easily go up to $30/1000 to $35/1000 because of supply and demand but a store trying to charge $65/1000 is just plain crooked.

tcanthonyii
February 9, 2013, 12:28 AM
I haven't over paid for anything. May be a buck or 2 / hundred of brass but that's it. Unless 38/thousand of Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers is is crazy. I refuse to over pay. I can limit my shooting enough to not run out.

KansasSasquatch
February 9, 2013, 01:26 AM
I haven't had the money to build up a big supply of anything before the panic hit. But when the panic did hit I pounced on 6k of Tula .223 primers from Powder Valley. If they had upped their prices I probably wouldn't have bought any. Cabela's has also kept their prices at pre panic levels, which is a little high compared to others' pre panic prices, but better than current market prices. I've been snagging up anything I can afford at Cabela's as long as it's something I'll use. I've bought probably 8-1lb jugs of powder and a couple bricks of primers. Trading has become a useful tool in avoiding price gouging. But I will probably be gouged in the near future to get a #8 shell plate for my Hornady LNL. Or I might just backorder one somewhere and just wait. No big hurry for me to load up a lot of 9mm.

kerreckt
February 9, 2013, 01:53 AM
Just dumb luck but I bought 30k primers and 56lbs. powder in the beginning of November. So I am sitting fat with friends I never knew I had. I tend to lay in a good supply of expendables anyway but this time the timing could not have been better. I have been able to help out some good folks and return some favors. For that I am thankful.

ljnowell
February 9, 2013, 02:19 AM
I havent overpaid for anything. I usually make a large order every year for primers, powder, and bullets. I will then usually make another couple smaller bullet orders through the year. I also go to the LGS every other week or so and I always buy something. A brick of primers, a box of bullets, a pound of powder, etc. Its a little more than ordering bulk, but its money I would waste anyway. When times like this hit, I dont buy a single thing. I did the same thing during the last two elections.

Fishslayer
February 9, 2013, 04:13 AM
I just paid $26 for 1lbs of Bulls Eye and $28 for 1lbs of IMR 4320 three days ago :mad:

That's normal pricing in my area.:uhoh:

Few years ago I was visiting my mom in Salina, Kansas & about had a stroke when I visited a pawn shop & found my favorite powders at $17-ish/lb and primers at about 60% of what I was used to.:what:

Too bad I didn't know what Wolf primers were. They were about $12/1K.

Still... glad I didn't get checked at the CA border. The agents woulda wet themselves. :evil:

Bought a case of LPP a few days ago for $175. Not too bad till you figure in the gas for a 200 mile drive. :(

GLOOB
February 9, 2013, 04:23 AM
The most I overpaid was $24.00 for 1k Hornady 223 gas checks plus shipping.

I usually buy 'em for $22.95, and I wouldn't normally pay the shipping for just one item. But that's all I needed from that store, and I knew they weren't going to be around long. They were sold out a few days later.

I guess that's not much of a sob story. But paying close to $30.00 for these tiny metal discs feels like a ripoff.

ColtPythonElite
February 9, 2013, 04:28 AM
What frenzy.
My supplies are good forabout 3 years
Same here.

alsaqr
February 9, 2013, 05:57 AM
i've not paid anything for overpriced stuff during the latest buying frenzy. i have over 120,000 primers from the "government has mandated self-sterilizing primers" buying frenzy and the 2008 buying frenzy. Well stocked on powder and bullets too.

Reloadron
February 9, 2013, 06:41 AM

Fortunately I haven't overpaid for anything. I went into this drought well stocked and prepared. Whenever I see any reloading components for a good price I buy them. Not like powder, primers, brass or bullets have a short shelf life so I keep a large stock on hand. I see a set of dies on a gun show table looking lonely for a good price, I buy them.

The same is true for loaded ammunition. Thanksgiving day Gander Mountain about 10 min up the road was selling 1,000 rounds of Federal 55 grain .223 for $299.00 so I took a ten minute ride and grabbed another 1,000 rounds. Just part of being prepared when the price was right and the stuff was local.

My brother just started reloading, I gave him a Rock Chucker for Christmas. Fortunately I have been able to carry him through this drought with supplies. When things settle down he can repay me with what I have given him. No big deal. I do the same for any close friends.

There is no way I am going to pop for a single primer what a loaded round was costing a few months ago. This isn't the first time a drought like this has happened and it likely won't be the last.

Ron

jcwit
February 9, 2013, 06:42 AM
I've overpaid for nothing. My stock has been AOK since before the first panic.

Something I learned in Boy Scouts, called Being Prepared.

Hungry1
February 9, 2013, 06:56 AM
I took delivery of a new LnL AP right before the panic.

Shell plates! I couldn't just let my new toy sit there. I paid close to three times what they normally go for. :eek:

JSmith
February 9, 2013, 10:20 AM
My LGS hasn't jacked up his prices even though he probably could have. I bought some 231 (last of his stock) last week and it was the same price I paid a year ago.

tbob38
February 9, 2013, 10:23 AM
I did pay some too much for a couple of G32 magazines from Glockparts. But I wanted them at the time.

cfullgraf
February 9, 2013, 10:27 AM

Shell plates! I couldn't just let my new toy sit there. I paid close to three times what they normally go for. :eek:

Unfortunately, new reloaders or folks making capital expense upgrades got caught by the panic. It is unfortunate and really is not poor planning, just poor timing.

But, for the folks already shooting or reloading, it did not take a rocket scientist to anticipate another panic after the 2012 election.

Incumbents have a good chance of getting re-elected and the Republicans were going around shooting themselves in the foot every chance they got.

Reloading stuff and ammunition does not go bad in the short term, so even if a panic did not happen, the extra cash spent would not be wasted, unless you are worried about your time value of money. (kind of like the guys who figure their time in for their cost of reloading)

I started stocking up when prices and inventories returned to near normal levels in 2010. If I needed 1000 primers, I bought 2000. I bought an extra box of bullets when I bought some and so forth. I planned on about years worth of inventory.

The only "panic" buying I did was we decided just before the election to go on a prairie dog hunt next summer. I bought reloading supplies that I would need incase the election caused another panic and reloading supplies dried up. Good thing I did

I know some folks have been hurt by the economy and may not have been able to stock up to desired levels, but an alternative would have been to buy a little extra and shoot a little less. There are other methods that could have been employed.

I am affected by the panic buying because some of my projects are now on hold as parts and pieces are flat not available. They will have to wait until later. Fortunately, I have enough to satisfy my gun powder fix for the present.

James2
February 9, 2013, 10:37 AM
Nothing!

I learned a long time ago to keep a minimum of a two years supply of reloading supplies. Even if this craze lasts over a year, I won't run out. I would slow down on the shooting first. I refuse to play this game of paying outrageous prices for guns or ammo. Buy when low.

taraquian
February 9, 2013, 11:05 AM
I paid $60 for LPP at the gun show two weeks ago, and $50 for LRP at the LGS in Jan, but in my defense I got my press for Christmas. Even at that most everything else, dies, powder, and small primers were all purchased at regular price...with a little shopping and maybe some luck you can still get anything at regular price, just maybe not immediatly

JSmith
February 9, 2013, 11:17 AM
Some of this is frankly getting ridiculous.

I had this idea that I'd like a decapping die so I could decap and resize in two steps - or resize without decapping. But MidwayUSA shows the Lee Universal Decapper as "out of stock".

I may have to overpay for that die, depending on how bad I want it. In decapping dies Midway has Lee at 9.99, out of stock. RCBS, 17.99, available. Lyman, 18.99, out of stock. Hornady, 26.99, out of stock. Redding, 17.99, available.

But - come on. Isn't a decapping die a somewhat specialized piece of equipment to be subject to a buying panic?

RustyFN
February 9, 2013, 12:55 PM
I have never over paid yet. So far I have been prepared for the two Obummer shortages.

Bud0505
February 9, 2013, 01:06 PM
I haven't overpaid for anything. I placed a primer and powder order with Powder Valley the day after the presidential election. Then in December I bought another Ruger .45 Colt and decided I needed to start reloading for .45 Colt. Placed an order with Dillon for dies, conversion kit, powder funnel and toolhead. New brass was ordered from Starline. 200 gr RNFP bullets were purchased from the range where I shoot and I'm good to go. All products were purchased at normal pre-panic prices.

bugsbunny45
February 9, 2013, 03:16 PM
The funniest part of this Frenzy is that there is a shortage of Boxes to store your ammo in.
Come on for real...

Zeke/PA
February 9, 2013, 04:43 PM
Haven't had to buy much lately as I stocked up AFTER the last "frenzy".
Also a friend, for health reasons, was getting out of pistol reloading and I bought 5000 pistol primers at a bargain price.
Got enough to last awhile!

Hondo 60
February 9, 2013, 04:55 PM
Hmm maybe I should sell some of my stock.

Anyone wanna pay me $89 for 1k Tula Small Pistol Primers (for which I paid $19.60 last August)?

Just kidding.

JohnM
February 9, 2013, 04:59 PM
Sure glad I haven't needed to buy anything.
I like to keep a pretty good supply on hand.
I might be needing some 460S&W brass soon, but that stuff is high anyway and I doubt the price on it is too affected by all the current BS.

dab102999
February 9, 2013, 05:27 PM
I have been reloading since the 80's. Not very long to most on this board. I would say as far as reloaders go a majority will not be in a sistuation of overpaying. Useually always have multiple months if not longer of supplys on hand. When they saw things getting busy with gun sales months ago they made sure to stock up. If they didn't they just adjust there reloading style and amount. Now there always will be some that run out...or were waiting for their year end bonus to stock up on supplies but I would say on average that number is low in the reloading community. I see myself the people overpaying to be the same that are overpaying for guns....the ones who were unprepared or first time buyers. Just like last time around. Now as far as prices when I find supplies I check prices and don't find them out of line from before panic prices. Maybe a dollar a pound more.. three dollars on a 8 lbs keg when it is there. One or two bucks on primers. 8 lbs of powder will last me all year on handguns so it has never been fisable for me to buy powder or primers off the net.

sgte5
February 9, 2013, 05:33 PM
I'm glad I have a diverse collection of firearms. The components for some of them have went about as crazy as I can remember, but for some of the others, I can still find them in stock and reasonably priced. Who would have thought in a lifetime, that a $95.00 Chinese SKS would be selling for over $400.00. Or AR mags for $50.00 plus. I would give up shooting and start Knitting with the wife, before I would pay any of these prices. Hell, I could buy a woolen mill, if I was greedy enough to sell my toys for what some people are asking. I think we as gun owners, are causing the biggest gun control victory we have ever seen, by selling and or paying these prices.

savanahsdad
February 9, 2013, 05:58 PM
That's normal pricing in my area.:uhoh:

Few years ago I was visiting my mom in Salina, Kansas & about had a stroke when I visited a pawn shop & found my favorite powders at $17-ish/lb and primers at about 60% of what I was used to.:what:

Too bad I didn't know what Wolf primers were. They were about $12/1K.

Still... glad I didn't get checked at the CA border. The agents woulda wet themselves. :evil:

Bought a case of LPP a few days ago for $175. Not too bad till you figure in the gas for a 200 mile drive. :(
sorry to hear that , the last 1lbs of IMR 4320 I bought last year was $19.99 so when I saw $26 on it I almost left it there , but they had it and I needed it , and like you said it is much higher in some places ,
last summer I got a 4lbs keg of W296 for $69.00 , good luck finding that now , I guess I should have got my Bulls Eye and IMR4320 in 4lbs or 8lbs kegs ,

Onewolf
February 9, 2013, 06:21 PM
I paid $27/lb for 4 lbs of Hodgdon H-4350 at the local reloading store.

Hungry1
February 9, 2013, 06:36 PM

.........And I just got notice that Midway is sending me the same plates that I had back-ordered. For some reason, I thought they would ask for a conformation. :banghead:

Oh well, they're going on e bay :)

savanahsdad
February 9, 2013, 06:52 PM
I paid $27/lb for 4 lbs of Hodgdon H-4350 at the local reloading store.
$27 per one 1lbs can or was that a 4lbs keg ? $108 a keg ?

dragon813gt
February 9, 2013, 08:15 PM
I will overpay for an item if I just need a small lot. But overpay is relative. If PV is selling a pound of powder for $17 I can buy it locally for $22. No point in paying hazmat and shipping when trying a new powder out.

I refuse to pay the current prices. I just bought 1k of used 357 brass for slightly less then if it were new. But the price was inline with what I was paying before the panic. I don't need anything bad enough to pay the ridiculous prices out there.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

Onewolf
February 9, 2013, 08:28 PM
$27 per one 1lbs can or was that a 4lbs keg ? $108 a keg ?

$27 per 1lb can

GT1
February 9, 2013, 08:52 PM
Nothing as of yet. I found a new set of .223 Lee pacesetter dies on evil bay yesterday for $30 and bought them to have a back up set.

I bought my Colt ARs right after that little deal in the Oregon mall, because something in the back of my mind told me it was then or maybe never. Being a reloader I bought most of the stuff I might need for them at the same time.

I think I'm good for two years, unless I do an awful lot of shooting, then I might run out of projectiles.

silicosys4
February 10, 2013, 01:34 AM
$300 for some 7.62x39 ammo right at the beginning of the craze, other than that I was fairly well prepared...

I did pay too much for 1k 147 gr. .308 bullets a few weeks ago, but nothing crazy

ArchAngelCD
February 10, 2013, 02:21 AM
Just remember people, the seller can charge anything they wish but no one can force you to overpay. It takes your willingness to overpay so you aren't being taken, you are giving it to them!

I just got lucky, someone came into the local shop I hang around and was selling all his 223 reloading components off. He had 6X 1lb jugs of H335 and was asking only $20/lb. I took all 6 from him at that price because I had only 1lb of H335 left and I just completed my AR-15 build and I need to load ammo for it... Too bad he didn't want to sell any primers but I should be fine with the 3000 CCI #41 primers I have left.

BeerSleeper
February 10, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm tempted to offload some of my inventory after seeing what primers and powder are getting bid up to on gunbroker.
Can the average joe ship something hazmat just by paying the haz fee? or is it more complicated than that?

Anger
February 10, 2013, 08:52 AM
Way more complicated. Need certain labels. Need 1800 call in service with info on all your hazmat material info. Need ups or fed ex pickup service account with daily pickup fee or u need to drop off. Need to be hazmat certified as a shipping person. Need special rated boxes, heavier construction than most, etc etc.

This or you could just break the law like 9/10 of the sellers on gunbroker and just ship it illegally. This is a primary reason I don't ship anymore. I could not compete with people shipping illegally. Face to face works so much better.

BeerSleeper
February 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
I was afraid it was going to be complicated like that. That is too bad. Thanks for the info.

CZ223
February 10, 2013, 09:40 AM
After reading this though I may have to go pick some up and be happy. :evil:

Bovice
February 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
I'm not buying anything until things cool off. I'll be ok in the meantime.

HKGuns
February 10, 2013, 10:49 AM
I have not and will not over pay. I'm actually getting a little tired of the posts that find it necessary to point out, for instance, when there are Ruger 10/22 magazines available at Cabela's.

Folks should be spending more money on NRA-ILA instead of contributing to the nonsense panic.

I saw a single P30 15 round magazine on ebay yesterday for $300. I laughed so hard it hurt and I wanted to throttle the idiot who owned the listing. The sad part is that someone will likely pay that much which doesn't say a lot about the people dwelling in this Country.

splattergun
February 10, 2013, 11:16 AM
I paid 35.99 for 1000 Remington SR primers last month, and a lb of H4895 for 24.99, both prices up by about $4 from the month previous.
I decided I will wait to buy any more reloading components until the dust settles. Since I won't do much shooting until the weather improves, I have another hobby to indulge.
It's fine brewing weather :)

bugsbunny45
February 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
I actually agree it takes two somebody selling at a high markup and somebody willing to pay the price.

2ndtimer
February 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
I just ordered 5 boxes of Hornady .357 158 gr XTP Hollow Points from Midway for $100 delivered, and that was with "special" birthday pricing. However, since I wasn't able to find any locally or online, I went ahead and grabbed them. I was well stocked before the current craziness, but still pick up what I think is a decent deal, like the 5 lb keg of Reloder 17 for $98.60 at Wholesale Sports last week. I did have the foresight to order 5000 Wolf .223 primers for $14 per K after the Colorado theater shooting and have accumulated a very nice stock of Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max factory ammo in .223.
The local department store where my son works behind the gun counter has Winchester small pistol primers in stock - for $6.99 per 100! He says people are buying them, but just a box or two at a time. Prudent, if you ask me.

ranger335v
February 10, 2013, 06:45 PM
I never whine about anyone charging more than I'm willing to pay, I just go somewhere else or don't buy. Shooting's a pass-time activity for me, it's not my life.

gutterman
February 10, 2013, 07:24 PM
Lead bullets are higher than need be-but primers are high and powder looks to be on the rise.

dragon813gt
February 10, 2013, 08:18 PM
Just by doing basic math I don't think lead bullets are over priced. Factor in the cost of lead/lube and wages to make them. Along with other factors such as equipment upkeep, benefits for workers and general overhead. The profit margin seems to be fairly slim and volatile due to market fluctuations in costs of raw materials. Cast your own and see how long it takes to cast/size/lube 500. The current prices don't seem bad at all.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

plodder
February 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
So far, I haven't "Overpaid" for anything. I have been accumulating primer, powder & bullets for a couple of years now. Immediately after this latest election I put in a sizable order with Natchez for more powder, primer & bullets, some of it at pre-frenzy clearance prices.

I guess I'm to blame starting the irrational hoarding!:neener:

WSO
February 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
We have to admit we as a whole created and self inflicted this pain on ourselves. This scare buying should have already started to receed. I am ammo MFG and my suppliers have not jacked my prices up. GunBroker is the land of the crazy people. I munfacture a certain caliber and round that I put on gunbroker for $130 and it was bidded up to $380 / 20rds. All I have to say is patients is a virtue. Prices will go back down please do not contribute to the craziness.

vtail
February 11, 2013, 12:02 AM
I had a set of Hornady 223 dies that I bought a couple of years ago for $37.00 and have never used and no longer needed.

I listed them on eBay and sold them today for $135.00.

This helps make up for the shell plate I bought on eBay for $70.00+.

vtail
February 11, 2013, 12:03 AM
We have to admit we as a whole created and self inflicted this pain on ourselves. This scare buying should have already started to receed. I am ammo MFG and my suppliers have not jacked my prices up. GunBroker is the land of the crazy people. I munfacture a certain caliber and round that I put on gunbroker for $130 and it was bidded up to $380 / 20rds. All I have to say is patients is a virtue. Prices will go back down please do not contribute to the craziness.
$380 for 20 rounds? Holy crap, what caliber is that for?

WSO
February 11, 2013, 12:17 AM
338 Lapua Armor Piecing. That was $19 a shell!!

ljnowell
February 11, 2013, 12:37 AM
I guess I may have broken the rule that I posted earlier in this thread. My dad called me and wanted me to load him some more 40S&W. I told him that I only had alimited primer supply so we would have to scrounge(I do have enough, but I break into the stash for NO ONE! HAHAHAH, that and I wanted to hit the gunshow and gunshops today!). At the gunshow, nothing undert 45 per K. At the first gunshop, a little out in the country place with a trap setup I found Winchester, Federal, and Sellior and Bellot primers. I bought my dad 1k of the S&B for 35 bucks. Thats more than I would pay, but its technically him paying. I also got him a pound of AA5 to use with this load, and it was overpriced in my opinion, at 21 /lb.

Since he is paying for it, I guess it really doesnt count though.

EMC45
February 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
NOT A THING! Bought some primers a couple years back at $15 thousand. They were Wolf SSP. I bought accordingly. Now some folks will tell you that Wolf or Tula primers are junk and would never use them.....I wonder if they feel that way now?...............

Arkansas Paul
February 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
I paid $44/1k for primers.
However, that's only about $5-$7 more than usual here, so I feel that I didn't get hosed too bad. Store still has them in stock at that price too. I would let my press sit on the bench and rust before I paid $90/1k.

ArchAngelCD
February 11, 2013, 11:29 AM
NOT A THING! Bought some primers a couple years back at $15 thousand. They were Wolf SSP. I bought accordingly. Now some folks will tell you that Wolf or Tula primers are junk and would never use them.....I wonder if they feel that way now?...............
I still feel that way... although i don't think they are junk i just don't want to use them. It doesn't matter how high American primers go because I'm not participating in the madness.

hueyville
February 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
Have not overpaid for a single item. Still paying within 10% of what I was before the panic. But I have sold ammo to idiots for stupid money. Also kept some good friends shooting for anywhere between free to what I paid originally if they insisted. Absolutely nuts what some guys will pay for milspec SS109 Factory loaded ammo. Could not let that money pass me buy. Also had to let several folks have SKS's with 600 rounds ammo included per rifle. I let them make offer then just grimaced like it hurt and handed them what they asked for at the price they offered. All in all, guns been very, very good to me lately.

GLOOB
February 11, 2013, 03:32 PM
Now some folks will tell you that Wolf or Tula primers are junk and would never use them.....I wonder if they feel that way now?...............
Well, use what ya got, for sure. I'm glad I have any primers at all. A little more glad they're Winchesters. :)

EMC45
February 26, 2013, 05:25 PM
Oh I have Winchesters, and Federals, and CCIs, and Remingtons. I just have a good bit of the Wolf on hand.

silicosys4
February 26, 2013, 05:32 PM
The only thing I've overpaid for was 500 LC 5.56 brass for $60. I paid $135 for 1k 147 gr. .308 projectiles, but this was just as the panic began and though they were overpriced, they weren't overpriced due to panic.

I'm incredibly lucky in that I started reloading about 6 months ago and spent what I thought at the time was a crazy amount to get set up to with all equipment including dies, shellplates, brass, powder, molds, lead, and primers for each caliber I shoot. Basically went from nothing to a progressive and single stage, and all supporting equipment for 5 handgun calibers including casting, lubing, and sizing lead handgun bullets, and 4 rifle calibers. Still haven't used most of the rifle equipment, primers, or powder.
It cost me about $3000, lord knows what it would cost now.

I will admit to buying in quantities that I didn't feel I needed before, but at the same prices I was paying before 12/12. Luckily I was able to pick up 10lbs or so of powder at wally world the last week of December, and 10k of various primers (LPP, SPP, LRP, LMRP) that I wouldn't have felt I needed to "hoard" prior to December, 2012.
Learned my lesson, there will always be a few thousand projectiles, powder, and 10k primers in the house that will be in reserve.

hueyville
February 26, 2013, 06:55 PM
Shooters, especially reloaders are renown for being free thinkers and self suffient. I have been trying a little louder lately as I read all the whine on this BBS, others and out in the world. Trying to be more vocal to those that were caught flat footed and cannot shoot as much or in some cases all due to themselves being their own worse enemy in this. I have been called everything from a felon, gouger, unfair and much, much worse. Due to this, I am beginning to many believe socializing the shooting sports is the answer. Each American gets their government mandated quantity of ammo so nobody has to feel left out.

For over 25 years I have never gone to Wallyworld without dropping an extra brick of their budget 22lr ammo in my cart. So had I not done that, apparently some believe those dusty bricks from 20 years ago would be stuck behind a Teddy bear in the toy department. For 30+ years I have bought a few boxes of primers more than I actually could use. Had I left them be, the gun stores would all have a bunch of old stock primers in their back room with a 9.95 per brick price on them, eh? So now the crap has hit the fan and all of the paranoid but unprepared shooters are out of ammo and components. There are many like me that have been putting up for the proverbial rainy day and now that its here we are putting them on the open market of a free society for anyone to purchase at a price they name themselves in the auction process.

So we entered a small microcosm of the commodities market to be prepared to support our own needs and maybe sell a few extras to help others while defraying our shooting expenses in the process. Add in that like I, quite a few purchased rifles that they were not particularly partial to because they were priced very well for what their potential worth might be some day. Knowing that some day those products could be declared illegal to own or sell nd thus be out of a huge investment. I never bought rifles just for the express purpose to resale, that said, I don't own a single firearm that offered the right sum I would not sell.

So now I find our country in a state that some rifles I bought in the 1980's are worth a great sum more than I paid. If my intention had to be to mark up and sell, they would have all been gone less than 20 years later. For a six week period I put two a week in my truck, let it be known, and every person that made me an offer that satisfied the two of us it changed hands. During this time 11 rifles were sold. Yes for a good profit but had I put that money in Apple at the same time I would have made a lot more. So are the people that bought Apple stock a bunch of hoarders and gougers?

I had 1/4 million rounds of 22lr above and beyond my need. Eleven bricks were given away for free. Over fifty were sold for price marked on box to people that I knew. About 100 bricks were sold at 38.00 per brick which in this market was a bargain and the people I sold them to said so. The rest went on auction sites to the highest bidder. This will allow me to replace all of my ammo when the market levels. It will help subsidize the next 500 Boy Scouts I help get their merit badge for free. I have used some of the proceeds already to buy three additional 10/22's and parts kits to build them into reasonably accurate semi-customs with iron sights just for Boy Scouts.

Through this all I was able to put a total of 15 people into a gun who didn't have one and needed it. Every single gun I sold was supplied with 500 to 600 rounds of ammo, 12 sets of disposable ear plugs, cleaning kit and the ones (about half) were invited to my business where I showed them how to clean, operate and let them fire said rifles. Five of the men hf never shot anything but a rimfire in their life. Had I not stockpiled this stuff at my risk a lot of folks would be doing without right now. On my primers, 30% were sold at 32.00 plus 7% as that is shelf price in my area currently. 20% were sold at price marked on box. The other half went on auction sites where the bidders chose the price themselves. Not my problem they saw more value in them than I did.

Out of this entire deal only half of my stockpile was sold at panic market price. The rest went at fair price. I tried to help several regular users on this site who turned and left me hanging with product I bought only for them because I had access and they backed out of the deal after I invested my own cash. I have helped a few and will help some more. But now I have separated the wheat from the chaff and will choose more wisely who I do help out. I would bet even money that most of you that have chastised me would do the same thing if you were intelligent enough to have saved up like I did.

The bottom line is there are 1/4 million rounds of rimfire distributed among the people instead of me sitting on it like home furnishing. I sold 75,000 rounds of .223, 5,000 of 7.62x39 and some others. It actually eases the demands on the market from my view. I worded my recent posts purposely to weed out the crybabies and to try and get through some thick skulled, dimwitts that they are going to have to learn or go through this again. Some of the people I sold ammo and magazines to were the same I had to prop up during the Bush 1 ban who were not smart enough to learn. So buck up little campers and realize your guns are useless if your out of ammo. Feds don't have to ever ban guns, just an order that shut down the ammunition supply line would render 90% of them usefully only as a club after their owners went through their last box of ammo.

Now I find as other regions are still barren of ammo I can walk into my local retail vendor, purchase a product that is sitting on the shelf for ANYONE to buy. Then take home, list it on the internet and people who apparently have a need buy it. Is it better sitting on the shelf in my town or up for sale where anyone in the country can access it? Up to each to form an opinion but I promise I am not getting rich. I have purchased a few new nice.rifles to replace the junky Combloc guns I bought in days past. But at least this process has been enlightening as those I have helped were gracious and thankful. The sideline sitters and fans in the crowd seem to be divided and some downright mean. My guess is the mean ones are the ones that will get caught with empty cupboards next time. Just seems to be the way the world works.

So one last tip from your Uncle Huey. The average grocery store in the average city in America has three days food supply on their shelves. We have seen in every major hurricane, tornado outbreak, earthquake or even big snow storm the majority of people began running out of food in just a couple of days. Right now I would wait for components and ammo to level out if I were out because it will. In the meantime, spend your time that is not at the range and calculate how many calories per day it takes to feed your family. Once done, figure out how to buy and store enough to feed them minimum 30 days. Don't tell me you cannot feed them with a rifle. Let all your neighbors get in the same situation and start shooting every game animal in the region and see how that works out for you.

Also do some studying about free market societies, the people who built this country and how. Then next time you see some investor in widgets cash in while your bag of widgets is dry you will realize he made his own luck based on risk and work. Your bag is empty because you chose not to fill it when the opportunity existed. Plain and simple, not the hoarders or gougers fault. It is yours and if you can't see it or admit in, you one of the ones that is going to help drive the good ol U.S. of A. into the dirt. Meanwhile, think I will wander downstairs to the reloading room and pull the handle on the blue beast as shooting a couple hundred rounds a day requires a bit o work.

PlaneJain
February 26, 2013, 07:07 PM

Absolutely nothing. I have stocked up on reloading supplies since I moved out of my parents house and started going to school.

Just before the 'crash' I bought 5000 rounds of 22lr for 160 dollars, and then back-ordered 10 PMags from DSGH for 110 dollars. :what:
They finally arrived last week:

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/Planejain/Miscelaneous/Picture2_zps60406858.png

Kachok
February 26, 2013, 07:09 PM
A pound of 4350 for $30! I never though I would see the day!

clone
February 26, 2013, 07:31 PM
Meh, I'm well stocked on 22lr and 22mag from well before the scare. I reload for everything center fire and I'm well stock for that to. I haven't bought anything but a couple boxes of Maxi-Mag 22mag during the scare and that was 12.99 a box. I will be fine even if the panic continues for another 5 years.

I did buy a Marlin camp 9 (with 4 mags) for $600, a Marlin camp 45 (with 2 mags) for $560, and a Marlin 883M (with ammo) for $300 all during the scare. But that's about the going rate before the panic.

This is the time to buy bolt action, single shot and pump guns, when a lot of people are selling them to fund semi autos and ammo for them. Most can be had really cheap to. ;)

floydster
February 26, 2013, 07:52 PM
I just won a bid on E-Bay for a new Hornady LNL AP for $947.57--I am so happy I could almost make love to my Mother-In-Law:)

Smokeyloads

mayassa
February 26, 2013, 09:31 PM
I was paying up to $50 per 1000 then I stopped after 3000 and kicked myself in the ass. I sold off those primers at cost then went and placed a few decent orders at $32 per 1000 for bench rest SRP and some LP and SP at $32 also. I sold of all the powder I overpaid for ($28 lb) and finally picked up some online for $130 for 8lbs plus hazmat for 24lbs so roughly I paid 18 lb. I stopped panic shopping.

hueyville
February 26, 2013, 09:40 PM
Mayassa, good on you sir. If more will sit back and think rationally instead of letting.the emotion of fear and panic dictate their buying habits, this will all settle down more quickly.

mayassa
February 26, 2013, 09:55 PM
I think it struck me when I walked into my LGS and he went up to $68 per 1K my jaw hit the ground and asked him why did they go up from $50 per 1K last week he said they are selling for more on gun broker, I asked your going to loose your long term customers with these prices. He said he would make up for it in the short term. I told him good luck with that plan and I would never darken his doorstep again. Then I put everything I picked up from him on craigslist. Its all gone and people want more at those crazy prices I paid for.

hueyville
February 26, 2013, 09:59 PM
My LGS's except one are holding prices unless a distributor raises a bit on them. They are doing brisk business. The other is trying to get internet prices and his stuff is getting dusty.

Hungry1
February 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
I just won a bid on E-Bay for a new Hornady LNL AP for $947.57--I am so happy I could almost make love to my Mother-In-Law:)

Smokeyloads
WOW! Your MIA must be HOT! :neener: :D

Enjoy your new press :)

Honest John
February 26, 2013, 11:59 PM
$0. The first rule of panic buying is don't do it. The second rule of panic buying is don't do it.

SquirrelNuts
February 27, 2013, 12:05 AM
Waiting this out. I have enough on hand to keep me busy.

February 27, 2013, 12:34 AM
my buddy sells reloading supplies at a local gun show twice a year he sold 660,000 primers and not quite 600 pounds of powder primers 35.00 1k powder 20 to 25 dollars a pound to he could have sold 3 times that much. those prices have been at that price for about 3 years his supplyers whom hes been buying from for 28 years said on his latest order 8 weeks to 8 mounths. part of the problem they say is the fact that goverment agencies other than the miltary ha ordered just under 3 billion rounds of ammo that 3 billion rounds. maybe we should start asking are congressmen and senators what they are doing with it

James2
February 27, 2013, 12:52 AM
Nothing really.

Well, the last primers I paid $31 for 1000, sounds a little high for a guy who has been used to primers $10/1000 most of my reloading career.

109Hammer
February 27, 2013, 08:32 AM
Les Baer AR-15 Bolt $100

foxs
February 27, 2013, 09:00 AM
I did not buy anything but i sold a Hornady lock and load press and 3 shell plates for over 1100.00

cja245
February 27, 2013, 09:48 AM
I paid $37 per 1000 for a couple boxes of LPP and $20 per lb for a couple cans of 2400. Their pre panic prices were more like $32 and $18.

My plan is to ride it out. I have enough to keep shooting the same amount for about 8 months. Somewhere in there I have to restock, plus I watch the local shops and buy what I can when the prices are appropriate.

cja245
February 27, 2013, 09:52 AM
my buddy sells reloading supplies at a local gun show twice a year he sold 660,000 primers and not quite 600 pounds of powder primers 35.00 1k powder 20 to 25 dollars a pound to he could have sold 3 times that much. those prices have been at that price for about 3 years his supplyers whom hes been buying from for 28 years said on his latest order 8 weeks to 8 mounths. part of the problem they say is the fact that goverment agencies other than the miltary ha ordered just under 3 billion rounds of ammo that 3 billion rounds. maybe we should start asking are congressmen and senators what they are doing with it
they are doing exactly what everyone else is, only on large scale. Buying now for fear that they will be without if they don't.

wr400
February 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
Still buying CCI small an large pistol an rifle primers for 30.00 a thousand!

Centurian22
February 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
Wr400 does your source ship? I know hazmat would be involved but I think it would still be cheaper! I recently paid $54 / 1000 for CCI SPP because it was the only store in the area that could get them and I had just started reloading.

wr400
February 28, 2013, 02:06 AM
I doubt it! But he did say his cost was going up but only like a nickel per thousand!

Constrictor
February 28, 2013, 07:44 AM
Wr400 does your source ship? I know hazmat would be involved but I think it would still be cheaper! I recently paid $54 / 1000 for CCI SPP because it was the only store in the area that could get them and I had just started reloading.
Powder valley ships. they had almost all primers in all brands yesterday.

10 Spot Terminator
February 28, 2013, 09:11 AM
Havent overpaid for anything yet. Have been making a few trades for primers and powder where the other person was asking a fairly high sale price but all came out at lower cost as the stuff I was trading was bought at pre panic prices .

Centurian22
February 28, 2013, 06:02 PM
Constrictor: must have been a lucky day. I just looked and they're out of stock of almost all primers right now. I will keep an eye on them though. Thank.

hunterwinco
February 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
I just walked out of the Scarborough Cabelas with 1K of CCI 200 primers for 37.99...not like buying 100 for a BUCK anymore, but I smiled all the way home!

Constrictor
February 28, 2013, 08:56 PM
Constrictor: must have been a lucky day. I just looked and they're out of stock of almost all primers right now. I will keep an eye on them though. Thank.
Powder valley usually lets customers know what just came in on Facebook. I watched the Winchester, Remington, federal and cci primers all sell out in less than 2 hours. I just received 10k Winchester small pistol primers and an 8 pound jug each of unique and 2400. They are getting stuff you just have to keep watching. They were limiting primers to 10k per type.

parker51
February 28, 2013, 09:07 PM
I have been patient and so far haven't paid more than what I would expect during a scare like this. Yesterday I picked up 1,000 CCI small pistol primers and 1,000 CCI large rifle primers at Cabela's in Charleston for $37.99 per brick (they still had about 4,000 SPP, 5,000 LR and 5,000 SR when I checked out). I also picked up 1 lb of H4831SC for $27.99 and 2 lbs of H4350 for $25.99. I think they are probably priced at $2 or $3 more now per item than before this scare started. The primers had been removed from the "brick" boxes and were priced at $4.75 per pack. There was a sign indicating a limit of 2 bricks per customer. I asked one of the supervisors about this and he told me that if I took 10 of the small packs to the register it would give me the brick price when I checked out (which it did). Anyhow, these were the only primers and powders I was in short supply and now I have enough to make it through the next hunting season.

birddog1148
February 28, 2013, 10:55 PM
I bought 1k CCI 400 small rifle primers last weekend for $45 in a Kroger parking lot. Figured it wasnt thay bad a price since I didnt have to pay a Hazmat shipping fee.

MikeS.
February 28, 2013, 11:26 PM
I haven't bought anything overpriced this time nor will I. I learned my lesson in 08/09 and I've been buying extra since.

I did way overpay for .380 supplies back then.

Miata Mike
February 28, 2013, 11:34 PM
wr400, where in Northern WI are you getting these prices? I don't need any right now, but am curious. :)

Still buying CCI small an large pistol an rifle primers for 30.00 a thousand!

steve s
March 4, 2013, 07:50 PM
I haven't bought anything! T don't need to prove to the world that I am a fool!!!

mgmorden
March 4, 2013, 09:14 PM
Well, I did just buy 2 one-pound jugs of Bullseye for $25 each. Thats a wee bit high but actually what that particular shop charged before all this nonsense so I was fine with it :).

Told myself next time I bought powder I was just going to mail order 15-20 pounds and just eat the hazmat, but all this happened before I got around to it. Oh well. With that added I should have enough powder for 6-8 months worth of shooting.

gfanikf
March 5, 2013, 12:36 PM
Zilch. Kings Shooter Supply hasn't been gouging and stock has been pretty good.

rsrocket1
March 5, 2013, 01:19 PM
$119.95 + tax = $129.59 OTD for 8 Pounds of Red Dot last week. I paid $115 for 8 pounds of Unique in November when Sportsman's Warehouse had their no-tax sale. The maddening thing is that it's still listed at $115 on their website.

This price gouging is mind blowing.

gonefishin1
March 5, 2013, 02:08 PM
I was badly in need of primers so a buddy picked my up 200srp for $20 and I still can't believe I paid that.... Everything else has been normal prices

Geno
March 5, 2013, 07:17 PM
Over the weekend, I went to Bass Pro. As I looked around for fun, I reached out and picked up a 1-pound bottle of H4831. It was the sole powder in stock. More out of curiosity than anything, I looked at the price: $30.00?! Wow, am I glad I have H4831. Anything I have bought has been either on-sale, or at worst, the regular price.

Two weeks ago, at the same Bass Pro, I happened upon a NIB Winchester Model 70, Ultimate Shadow, chambered in .243 Win. They had it on sale for $399. Yeah, it came home with me. 8^)

Geno

plodder
March 5, 2013, 07:27 PM
I was badly in need of primers so a buddy picked my up 200srp for $20 and I still can't believe I paid that....

gonefishin1: Would you like to buy a few thousand more at that rate?:D

jb27
March 5, 2013, 08:43 PM
$8 per 100 Federal 205M primers and $8 per 100 CCI BR4 primers. I bought 2 of each to experiment with some loads for a new rifle. Hopefully by the time I come to a conclusion on which ones work the best, the prices and availability will be back to normal so I can stock up on whichever one I like.

Clark
March 5, 2013, 11:25 PM
I paid $120 for 1000 pieces of used mixed 380 brass 3/7/10.

2ndtimer
March 6, 2013, 12:21 AM
I confess to picking up 2 lbs of Accurate 2015 powder at the local Wholesale Sports store (soon to once again be known as Sportsmens Warehouse). I can't believe I paid $24.95 per lb. But they were out of almost every kind of powder. The only other one they had available that would work in a .223 was Reloder 7. They had a total of 5 pounds of 2015 available, but I thought I should leave the other 3 for someone else. (plus paying almost the 8 lb keg price from Powder Valley for just 5 pounds seemed wrong) Hopefully, I can sit back now and just enjoy reloading what I have, as I have enough powder, primers and bullets to last me a good while.

five.five-six
March 6, 2013, 12:42 AM
I paid $42 with tax for 1k LPPs :(

On the flip side, on another forum, I bout 50 new Winchester .300WM brass, what showed up in my mailbox was 100 pieces already primed and annealed :)

Mac2
March 6, 2013, 01:39 AM
I haven't paid any crazy prices...yet. My dealer friend scored 10K Federal LP mag primers for $300 otd. I split them with my neighbor. I also have 8# of Bullseye and 8# of 2400 (I tried to get Unique) on order from Graf & Sons. Regular pricing. They were in stock but about a month behind on shipping. Scored another #110 wheelweights yesterday for the traditional $40 + a box of good doughnuts for his crew. Supply has slowed, but we're good for the summer + what we need to keep back. Small pistol primers are a concern. We won't shoot up too much of them until things go back to whatever is normal.

Fire_Moose
March 6, 2013, 03:21 AM
Worst I've done is traded 600 .223 brass for 570 124g montand gold RN.

Suppose I coylda sold the brass for a better value. /shrug

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

WaywardSon
March 6, 2013, 05:29 PM
Bought 2 lbs. of SR-4759 for $26 per pound, a pound of H-110 for $26 and 2K CCI SPP for $39.99 per thousand today. Could have been worse...I was glad to get the small pistol primers. All from a local gun shop.

oneounceload
March 6, 2013, 07:53 PM
"^^those prices have been normal for four years.............

To answer the OP, nada, zilch, zero.....I won't buy items at 4x MSRP

Grassman
March 6, 2013, 08:17 PM
I have not bought anything at crazy prices, which might explain why I'm down to my last 2#'s of powder, and my last 200 bullets.

WaywardSon
March 6, 2013, 10:11 PM
"^^those prices have been normal for four years.............

To answer the OP, nada, zilch, zero.....I won't buy items at 4x MSRP
In each instance those prices are $2 to $5 per item high compared to what has been normal around here for the last few years. They also had some Federal 22 lr in a new pack...325 rounds in a sealed nitrogen purged spam can. Had not seen those before...$22.95 per tin. Passed on those.

280shooter
March 6, 2013, 11:06 PM
0 nada, zilch, zero.....I won't buy items at 4x MSRP ,I lucked out 2 months ago and found Win.small rifle primers for 32 bucks for 1k
I'll hold off buying anything untill all the hording is over,,
plus fishing seasons right around the corner,I'll stock up on fishing gear,

788Ham
March 7, 2013, 01:45 PM
Sure glad I worked a couple of extra days at the gun club during sight-in this year, picked up 275 '06 once fired cases, now all shined up, prepped and ready to load. I also picked up 125 .300WM once fired cases too, got a buddy trying to decide what he can trade for them.

I'd contacted a large company in Missouri about some Hornady 150 gr. SP bullets about 5 months ago, "Out Of Stock", not sure when they'll be in stock. Well, got an email notice yesterday that they are in, at $23.99/100, so, I have the Brown Truck crew bring me some, now I can get to reloading when they arrive. No, haven't spent outrageous prices on things, just glad some things are coming into play.

Certaindeaf
March 7, 2013, 02:00 PM
Not a farthing. and I shoot centerfire pretty much only.. always have and hope to

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the most you have overpaid for an reloading item in this frenzy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!