I'm tired of gun shows...

PDA

Redlg155
February 9, 2013, 08:33 AM
Long lines, inflated prices. No one really buying. Ammo sells out in the first hour (normally priced ammo). It killed me to watch 2 people just about wipe out half of an ammo sellers stock of 9mm with double armfulls. It's been like that the last few shows.

I for once agreed on the 3 box of ammo limit at Walmart. Add in the newbies pointing guns are all over the place and you have the makings of a great show.

There is one in Panama City this morning. I pass..

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm tired of gun shows..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psp7304
February 9, 2013, 09:18 AM
I stopped going to gun shows 5 years ago.

Deltaboy
February 9, 2013, 09:19 AM
I go and about every 3 rd time I find a good deal.

flgolfer29
February 9, 2013, 09:26 AM
There is one in Panama City this morning. I pass..

I live about two miles from the Panama City show, and I will not be going. It has never been that great and the last couple or three events have only gotten worse.

joe

Mamertine
February 9, 2013, 09:27 AM
I do about one a year. I like to go to window shop and often there is good people watching to be done there. At some point people will realize that congress doesn't have the votes to get any gun control bills passed and the recent insanity will end.

OilyPablo
February 9, 2013, 09:35 AM
It depends.

Since our WAC show is around 10 miles from my house, it's not a huge deal (unless I forget my badge :cuss:)

I know enough folks there to easily make the social aspect worth it after a nasty work week with people you don't really enjoy being with (:neener:)

Some places bring most all their wares (like Quantico Tact for example), so no need to drive 80 miles to their store and their prices are EXCELLENT.

Get up to date on the latest ammo prices that you might not pay.

I certainly don't go to a gun show to buy guns.:eek:

TheDaywalkersDad
February 9, 2013, 09:40 AM
I won't set foot in a gun show until after the current panic buying climate ends. It's not worth standing in line for an hour to get into a gun show. This is especially true as there are no deals and you're lucky to even get near a table.

Garmangabis
February 9, 2013, 09:43 AM
I have been to one gun show in the last ten years, and that was to look at holsters.

Grassman
February 9, 2013, 09:43 AM
I'm going to one today. More for entertainment than anything else. I wanna see these $3000 Ar's and $2000 SKS's.

vtail
February 9, 2013, 09:45 AM
I'm going to one today. More for entertainment than anything else. I wanna see these $3000 Ar's and $2000 SKS's.
Watch out for those pistol grips. I hear they are extremely dangerous.

hso
February 9, 2013, 09:46 AM
I go to most of the local gun shows because I help friends out that have tables and visit with the folks that make the trip into town. Sort of a "class reunion" with people you know already share a common interest.

I occasionally find a great deal, but that's just the icing on the cake.

gym
February 9, 2013, 09:51 AM
I am able to get the best prices on new guns at shows. The largest dealer in the state will sell at a loss to get the business. And he has every model, Kimbers, Ed Brown, Every shotgun and rifle. The LGS are 30% higher, and offer no service. I have purchased at least 6 guns from Shoot straight.
Now their stores arent as deeplly discounted, I made that mistake once, it seems that he will beat any price at the shows but not once you are in his 5 stores.
He sold me an lcp , "when they first came out for $250. And a shiedls for 100 plus a LC9 which didn't shoot half the time, told him that.Also an AR for $800, 300 of which he gave me for a PF9.And my buddys bought 2, 357's in stainless, "taurus" for $259. You can't beat his prices or variety, even Cobra Carry's $ 2,500 and fullsize nighthawk $3000. That may not be the cheapest, for the high end guns, but he had a couple dozen of them to look at. Plus every Kimber and colt model

AlexanderA
February 9, 2013, 09:56 AM
Depends on the show. I went to the The Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, Virginia, yesterday, and it was worth it. There were plenty of black rifles, and magazines, but prices were all over the place. I managed to find brand new GI AR-15 30-round magazines, with the tan followers, for $20 each. (Most vendors were charging $30.) One vendor had NOS BAR magazines for $20, which was less than pre-panic prices. Stripped AR lowers were ranging in price anywhere from $300 to $800, or higher. It was clear that the market hasn't settled yet. Comparison shopping is a must.

Akita1
February 9, 2013, 10:07 AM
The Orlando gun show has become a nightmare (lines, prices) but I still go for that "just in case" opportunity. Plus it's a great freak show and always good to see vendors I have purchased from over the years.

LGS called East Orange Shooting Sports in Winter Park that hasn't engaged in gouging AT ALL since this all started. Great staff, decent inventory, excellent range.

They used to have a Tuesday & Friday morning inventory release where everyone would show up for what turned out to be a very well-run, equitable and orderly buying spree. They just discontinued it, however, because some were flipping their stuff for a quick profit and they said it conflicted with the non-gouging policy. Yes, I know it wasn't them flipping but their OEM inventory was ending up on Gunbroker, et al that very afternoon and they didn't want to be associated with the mayhem.

thomis
February 9, 2013, 10:12 AM
I went to a gun show a few years ago down in Raleigh, the Dixie Gun and Knife show. It was a laugh. I have no interest in ever going to another one.

bobinoregon
February 9, 2013, 10:31 AM
I went to the one in Grants Pass,OR last weekend just for something to do. Saw all the ridiculous prices on black guns and anything semi auto which was expected. Managed to get a real good deal on some 30 cal reloading bullets plus the guy threw in half a can of 4064. As we were leaving my wife said lets go back to the first table by the door so we did. Savage 24 deluxe in 22lr over 20 ga, the exact gun I've been looking for for several years. A deal was made and I now have a pristine model 24 from 1956. Thats why I keep going to the shows, looking for stuff to fill in the gaps.

Sock Puppet
February 9, 2013, 10:44 AM
I usually go to one a year to support our local range. It started last night, I arrived 15 minutes after the doors opened, asd was inside in about 10 minutes. It was very busy, and any semi-auto rifle was rediculously priced; $1,800 was the lowest I saw for a used kit gun. Common ammo such as .223, .308, 9mm and .45 was priced way too high for me. I saw good deals on a Winchester 94 and a CZ 455, though I didn't buy either.

Walked out with some 300WSM dies, powder, and ammo boxes and was pleased with the prices I paid. Primers were non-existent and PMags were selling for $30+. I saw some old beat up USGI mags for $50 but they weren't selling.

In fact, I didn't see any AR or AK sell in the 2 hours I was there. The show has 2 more days, but this leads me to believe the prices have reached the tipping point where people aren't willing or able to pay the prices.

Oh, I saw some 50 rnd. boxes of American Eagle .22 for $10.

ApacheCoTodd
February 9, 2013, 11:16 AM
There is one promoter out "WEST" here who's lost me as both a customer and a vendor due to the fact that a fella burns up a 20 just to get in the door only to be greeted by a swap meet of cheap import key-rings, beanie-babies, and off-the-boat, Long Beach crap.

Now, some of the little re-surgent "old school" shows (200 and less tables) have caught my interest as well as the classics still remaining like Tulsa and Reno ("The Big Show") for both their content and deal making opportunities.

U-235
February 9, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hasn't it been like this for a long time? Inflated prices and half the tables selling something non-firearms related like beef jerky. Yes you can sometimes find a good deal but those are few and far between.

I haven't been to a gun show in years and don't feel any pressing need to go to one anytime soon.

Rembrandt
February 9, 2013, 11:34 AM
I go for the jerky, dental tools, and rubber band guns....

OilyPablo
February 9, 2013, 11:39 AM
Our local show doesn't have any jerky. I actually wouldn't mind buying the good stuff.

I like the "Gun Stick" seller. I suggested some new types and darn if he didn't listen to me. Cool shapes with cotton and now some synthetic foam types that work great. The Bore Snake guy on the other hand sells "too hard" and his prices are too high, I guess I'm not a bore snake guy, even though it's the The Year of Snake.

bannockburn
February 9, 2013, 11:43 AM
I haven't been to one in quite a few years. There use to be a pretty good selection among the regular vendors to find the ammo and components I needed. Then it seemed like most of them pulled out to do some other show going on at the same time out of state. Quality, quantity, and overall selection of guns, ammo, and accessories fell off after that so I stopped going. Found just about everything I needed either locally or online.

MagnunJoe
February 9, 2013, 11:44 AM
In my Metro area there R 8 gun shows per year. I always make it a point to go to at least 1 per year. It's fun to go with friends & shoot the breeze. I usually get something, cleaning supplies or ammo (@ regular price) the point is he get to see & handle new toys. Even if we don't buy them.

jmace57
February 9, 2013, 11:46 AM
In the Houston Texas area they have gotten to where they do a gun show every month - they same company rotates between Houston, and two close-by cities (Pasadena and Conroe). There seems to be no incentive for the sellers to ever have any good deals - they figure if they don't sell something this time, they'll sell it next month.

And that was BEFORE the recent craziness. I don't go any more.

Mango88
February 9, 2013, 11:51 AM
I can put up with the beef jerky and junk jewelry tables at the gun shows if people would just realize that a gun show is not the place to bring your babies, toddlers, and huge baby strollers. At the last gun show I went to there were children trying to play on the floor while the massive crowd tried their best not to step on them, things have gotten a bit insane.

Elkins45
February 9, 2013, 11:55 AM
I have found some amazing deals at gun shows, but I have also left in an hour without buying a thing.

At the last National Gun Day in Louisville (before the panic) I found a great liberty model 44 Super Blackhawk for $375. That was worth the effort to attend. You just never know what you're going to find.

MaterDei
February 9, 2013, 11:56 AM
I go to at least two or three a year. I went with a cousin and friend to the the show in Austin a couple of weeks ago.

The line was ridiculous and so were the prices on many things. We had a blast!!!

The jerky was delicious, the crowd was all very friendly and having fun and I did finds some deals. I bought primers for $35/1000 which is a good deal as I don't buy enough online to justify the hazmat fee. I also bought a Magpul MS3 sling and sling mount for one of my ARs.

I don't understand why people whine so incessantly about gun shows. If you don't like them DON'T GO!

flgolfer29
February 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
I don't understand why people whine so incessantly about gun shows. If you don't like them DON'T GO!

I think that is the general consensus, they aren't going..

joe

ApacheCoTodd
February 9, 2013, 12:20 PM
I go for the jerky, dental tools, and rubber band guns....
I remember setting up at Vegas once with "The Jerky Hut" right next to me crowding my tables with free-sample hangers-on.

So Sunday, I'm watching these two fellas being totally "reeled-in" by the salesmanship of the vender. It became truly fascinating to me to see if they would turn anything down. From what I saw - no.

When they were done they did a 180 towards me with somewhere between 15 to 20 plastic bags of various dried/tubed/shredded meats between them.

As the eyes of one of them settled on my vintage AR/16 case, he noted that I had original slick sided carriers and components to include the first design firing pin retaining pins among everything else. That old stuff is kinda a thing of mine and I buy it when I see it.

Anyhow, he says how much for the pin and I tell him something well under 20 dollars but over 10. Excited by the availability and the price and after putting down his haul o' meat and searching all his pockets, noting he maxed his debit at TJH and tapped his ATM, he turns to his pal. Pal repeats the previous performance and between them they've dumped gum wrappers, a parking stub and other pocket debris along with a total of just over two bucks on my case.

Considering I'd pay many times that at the time for originals (they've since begun reproducing/importing them) it was a no go. Fella says, "will you be at the next show?" Well in fact I wasn't gonna be back for a full year so I tell him that and say to keep his eyes open at the next jerky show, maybe someone will have one.:evil:

HOWARD J
February 9, 2013, 12:32 PM
I lost interest in the gun shows around here when they ran out of military gun parts ( surplus) The guns & ammo they sell I can buy from a local gun shop at a better price ( until Obama went on a rampage)

AethelstanAegen
February 9, 2013, 12:46 PM
Depends on the show. I went to the The Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, Virginia, yesterday, and it was worth it.

+1 I found the large pistol primers and a few boxes of .38 S&W for reasonable prices. Since no local stores even had the primers and I couldn't have ordered them without the $30 hazmat fee plus shipping, it was well worth the $12 admission fee. I found the .38 S&W ammo for $20 a box which is cheaper than I could ever buy it online even without shipping factored in. I was a happy customer yesterday. I just need to pick up some black powder and I'm set for quite some time.

I also enjoyed talking to some of the old timers who had tables full of C&Rs. They generally seemed to have prices on the upper end (either because they didn't really want to sell or as a negotiation tactic) and with everyone else flocking around the black rifle tables, they seemed to enjoy chit chatting.

It was definitely WAY less crowded than the last one in January. I went in looking for a small revolver for CCW and in the endm, I did pick up a sweet little S&W Safety Hammerless there...so that was also a success. I just couldn't say no to such a nice looking, old revolver that also worked for my original need.

Old Dog
February 9, 2013, 01:54 PM
I think that is the general consensus, they aren't going..Really? That would not be the case here. Our WAC shows are packed, with lines down the block and around the corner to get it ...

I don't care about the ammo prices -- if you didn't see the handwriting on the wall at election time and couldn't remember the last shortages, shame on you ...

We do have some retailers with excellent prices on new guns at our shows. We've got the Kramer holster guy, our Glock parts guys, our black rifle and tactical accessories guys, plenty of prepper stuff, surplus and maybe even some jerky.

Me, I enjoy the shows for the social aspect. Where else can you commune for a day with THOUSANDS of gun-folks, fondle new guns, old guns -- and yes -- even find a used gun you were looking for?

For our movement to succeed, we need to make these social events the norm. Help 'em work -- quit complaining and do what some of here do -- become members, get on the BoD of the organization that puts on shows, find out what people in your region want to see, network., make the shows fun, and see the RKBA movement grow ...

Me, I'm just tired of people that whine about gun shows ...

788Ham
February 9, 2013, 02:04 PM
I missed the last GS here in town, the next one is upcoming, won't miss that one. 2 months ago, they had huge amounts of cased ammo, but prices were so high, don't know if they sold any, not to me anyway! Powder and primers were sky high too, if one could find any, and bullets were not to be found. Oh, there were lead bullets, but boxed bullets not available. Hope things have calmed down some this next show, like to get some powder, if I don't have to sell my car to get it !

Elkins45
February 9, 2013, 04:16 PM
Gun shows? Nobody goes to those anymore...too crowded!

:D

ngnrd
February 9, 2013, 05:49 PM
If you're tired of gun shows, don't go. I went to one today to see if I could find any brass, powder, and primers. There wasn't any powder or primers to speak of, but I did pick up 900pcs of 45ACP brass - split about 50/50 between Federal and Winchester headstamps, along with 100pcs of R-R 300wm and 400pcs of mixed 380acp for a total of $120 including the price of entry.

I also passed up a used Single-Six that was priced at $275 that I might actually talk myself into going back for tomorrow.

And then there was the complete 4-barrel Dan Wesson Pistol Pack for $1500. I'm not in the market for one, but it was the first one I'd ever seen in person, and it looked to be in really great condition. Certainly didn't have the holster wear that my DW has...

And, yeah, the vast majority of MSR's were all priced high (stripped polymer lower for $200, most complete rifles between $2k and $3k, even a used Mini-14 for $1500), but I wasn't seeing any buyers at those prices. The one negotiation I actually saw was for an AR-15 with a $1700 sticker on it (too crowded to get a good look at it - don't know what make/model it was). A guy offered $1000, and the seller dropped to $1175 without even flinching. I didn't stick around long enough to see if they actually struck a deal or not. By then, there were way too many people, and I was already heading for an exit.

But, all-in-all, it was worth a couple of hours of my time to go take a look, if for nothing else than just to get out of the house in the middle of February. It's not like I had to shovel the driveway or anything. ... oh, wait... gotta go.

Grassman
February 9, 2013, 06:10 PM
I was surprised to find a couple decent deals at todays show. I bought some Pmags for $28, yes I know that's high, but in the current climate it's not bad. Friend of mine bought a new DPMS AR for $1100. I did see some $75 mags, and some $3000 Ar's too. Pretty big show, there were some OK deals to be had. Not great, but OK.

Grassman
February 9, 2013, 06:14 PM
I think ammo is the really highly priced stuff now, .223 was going for $1 a round and higher, .22LR is really outrageous now.

dt466ih
February 9, 2013, 06:18 PM
I quit going to gunshows a few years ago. i pay $10 to park, then $14 to get in , then the things i have interest in purchasing are more expensive than if i just ordered off the internet . thats my experience anyway .

umadcuzimstylin
February 9, 2013, 06:28 PM
My local Walmart limites you to one box and thats if they have any. Gone there everyday for weeks then they finally have some and only let you buy 1 20 round box. O_O

mljdeckard
February 9, 2013, 06:35 PM
I don't go unless I'm looking for something specific. Me and my wife prefer to use the time and money to go to things like the outdoor expo, the home show, and the auto expo.

A few days ago a friend posted a story about an autistic boy whose puppy was stolen at a gun show. I say this as the parent of an autistic child....WHY DID YOU BRING HIS PUPPY TO A GUN SHOW?! The boy may or may not get something from it, (mine wouldn't,) but his puppy wouldn't.

rugerman07
February 9, 2013, 06:44 PM
I still attend gun shows. I went to one about 4 weeks ago, they didn't have a lot of ammo but I got a really good deal on some PPU .40 caliber JHP, 50 rounds for $15.00, I bought 5 boxes.

I went to a gun show today and the ammo selection was the worse I've ever seen! Not having much would be an understatement and what they did have was beyond WAY-OVER-PRICED!! 500/550 bulk pac's of 22/LR was going for $40.00 to $50.00, 45 acp/40 caliber (50 rounds) FMJ $40.00, and 9mm (50 rounds) FMJ $30.00.

wriggly
February 9, 2013, 07:03 PM
My local Walmart limites you to one box and thats if they have any. Gone there everyday for weeks then they finally have some and only let you buy 1 20 round box. O_O
The corporate policy is three boxes, but the store manager can go even further it seems in your case. Sad....yesterday I was at my local Gander Mountain, and they had one of those Aisle Islands stacked with boxes of "Independance" brass cased .223 for nine something a box. I dont have any AR's any more, but the son in law still does, so I thought I would grab him some. I start piling up the boxes, and I notice this little sign about 4 inches square "2 Box Limit" I put it all back.

JVaughn
February 9, 2013, 07:40 PM
I agree, I too am frustrated. I find however, for some reason, I cannot resist the temptation. I always end up going.

351 WINCHESTER
February 9, 2013, 07:44 PM
I make it a point to go to a show or two about every 5 years or so just to remind myself of all the "deals".

cfullgraf
February 9, 2013, 08:09 PM
In my parts, the local gun stores leave alot to be desired. I have not set foot in one, except to take delivery of a firearm in years.

While the gun shows are not great, they do have stuff i can use and i occasionally find a firearm I just cannot live without. Gun shows these days are too focused on the mall ninja and home defense stuff. Not much on the things I am interested in.

Most of my shopping is done on line though.

Since the panic set in, I will not wait in line so i have not gone to a gun show since December.

bobinoregon
February 9, 2013, 08:54 PM
I just wish sombody would set up a deodorant booth at the gunshows. How hard is it to at least shower before you go out in a crowd?

Maia007
February 9, 2013, 09:45 PM
Really? That would not be the case here. Our WAC shows are packed, with lines down the block and around the corner to get it ...

I don't care about the ammo prices -- if you didn't see the handwriting on the wall at election time and couldn't remember the last shortages, shame on you ...

We do have some retailers with excellent prices on new guns at our shows. We've got the Kramer holster guy, our Glock parts guys, our black rifle and tactical accessories guys, plenty of prepper stuff, surplus and maybe even some jerky.

Me, I enjoy the shows for the social aspect. Where else can you commune for a day with THOUSANDS of gun-folks, fondle new guns, old guns -- and yes -- even find a used gun you were looking for?

For our movement to succeed, we need to make these social events the norm. Help 'em work -- quit complaining and do what some of here do -- become members, get on the BoD of the organization that puts on shows, find out what people in your region want to see, network., make the shows fun, and see the RKBA movement grow ...

Me, I'm just tired of people that whine about gun shows ...
Absolutely. The world keeps changing, mostly in ways we neither approve of nor have control over. Stop whining. Adapt. Work to make things work. Contribute. Enjoy what there is to enjoy and laugh at the rest.

1 old 0311-1
February 9, 2013, 09:57 PM
Gun shows have guys walking around with their AR crap wanting $1800 and the other half looking for $600 AR crap. :uhoh:

Irtys
February 9, 2013, 10:27 PM
I go to ALL gun shows within reasonable traveling distance. If we all stop going, then the gun shows will stop showing up.

mrvco
February 9, 2013, 10:48 PM
I've only been once and it was pretty underwhelming. I think it would be far more interesting if they separated the brick-n-mortar retail outfits with tables full of NIB guns from everyone else.

Grassman
February 9, 2013, 10:50 PM
I love a gun show, I like to laugh at some of the ridiculous prices, if they are decent I buy. Pretty simple really. A couple hucksters actually had the nerve to put a $900 price tag on a Norinco SKS. I actually laughed out loud on that one.

we are not amused
February 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
If you don't like to go to gun shows... Then DON'T!

I get tired of stupid whiney people always going on about how bad gun shows are, but still keep going to them.:banghead:

I personally like them. I often don't buy anything, but it gives me a chance to see a large variety of guns and supplies that no single gun dealer could possibly have, and there are quite often good deals to have, especially in the less commonly desired guns.

If, the next time you go to a gun show, and are disappointed by it, instead of whining about it, just don't go to the next one.

Many of us like them, and will patronize them, even if we choose to exercise discretion about what we buy. Yes, they can be a bit of a circus, but that is part of the fun.

I repeat- No one is forcing you to go! If you don't like them, then feel free to not attend. The last thing we need is a bunch of angry, disgruntled people showing up with a bad attitude.

Ignition Override
February 10, 2013, 01:54 PM
$500 for an all-matching, excellent laminated Russian SKS (star & year on bolt cover) with a beautiful bore did not seem bad at yesterday's Nashville show. Even a year ago, this would not have been bad, for a gun show. For this winter, that's pretty good.
In the last few weeks, many bid or listing prices for the SKS on GB also were not bad.

As for handguns, at yesterday's show a guy who stayed near the entrance had an excellent Bersa Thunder .380 ($275) and CZ 83 for fair prices. They were in excellent condition. Another visitor offered his Sig 230 for $475.

It was a lot more fun than driving south to the mall from the interstate junction (440) in bumper-to-bumper traffic to pick up my wife.
Many of the guys in Nashville who claim that they dislike gun shows might really enjoy that mall, instead...

pharmer
February 10, 2013, 07:21 PM
Went to a show in Dec., got a 3" S&W 36 and a 2" 34-1 for $700. Wanted the 34. Went to a show in Jan, dropped the 36 for $400 (making the 34 sweeter for $300), 2 other guns and a scope for a grand total, walking out money just short of $1700. Without shows and "private sales", that ain't happening. Keep America free, even if it cost $11 to get in. Joe

nwilliams
February 10, 2013, 07:28 PM
I stopped going to gun shows about eight years ago. I got tired of paying money to get into a gun show just to see overpriced stuff.

7mmstalker
February 11, 2013, 01:09 AM
I love going to a couple of shows a year, at least.
Too many guys seem to expect "flea market" deals when they go looking to buy.
There are a lot more sellers trying to make a lot more profit than 20 years ago, but they are running a business of sorts, capitalism requires profit to be successful and attractive.
My experience has been satisfying whether buying or selling, and have done a bit of trading as well. Where else can a guy go and see so much variety on display at one location?
Don't go to a show expecting to beat your local shop's deals, though you might get lucky. Don't bring your goods and expect a guy who rents space and drags all of his goods to and from each venue to pay you top retail price.
Think of it as a big car lot, your free to look and don't have to buy. If your trading or selling, realize that the other guy would like to make a buck.
Most dealers or collectors are into guns as a hobby, into gun shows to support the hobby!

justice06rr
February 11, 2013, 05:31 AM
The thing with gunshows is, you need to go there for the cheap things like holsters, slings, knives, etc, and not firearms.

You will be hard-pressed to find a good deal with a gun, unless you get lucky. for the most part gun prices are the same with your LGS or pawnshop. Ammo is usually overpriced as well.

I still go every few months to buy accessories and magazines, but never to buy guns.

CajunBass
February 11, 2013, 05:53 AM
I enjoy going to gun shows. I don't plan on buying anything except a hot dog and a coke, and I might not buy those, but I haven't been going lately. My wife likes to go to them too, but she has to use a wheelchair and the shows are just too crowded to move around these days. When things calm down a bit, we'll go back.

AethelstanAegen
February 11, 2013, 12:21 PM
you need to go there for the cheap things like holsters, slings, knives, etc, and not firearms.

I'd say that's generally true. I've gotten pretty good deals on small things I needed that would have been more expensive online because of shipping fees. That said, you can find good deals on guns sometimes, especially if you're looking to buy something that's not real popular at the moment. For instance, I got a decent deal on a S&W Safety Hammerless. I found it off one side of a booth selling modern pistols and it was being overlooked by everyone else who was there to buy modern pistols. If I'd found it at a table selling antique firearms, it would likely have been more expensive.

skeeziks
February 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
I haven't been to a show in over 15 years. I have absolutely no desire to attend one, either.

silicosys4
February 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
I'll go to gunshows, and I've gotten some good deals. I don't pay attention to the LGS tables, or the out of town guy who follows the shows with overpriced goods. I look for the local guy who has excess that threw up a table and wants to get rid of some extra guns, the private seller. Sometimes there is one or two of those guys in the small-town gunshow I attend. Usually I'm there to trade though. I will take a few guns that I've acquired for a great price that I'm no longer interested in, and see if there is some trade fodder.
For instance, last show 6 months ago I traded a R.I. G.I. 1911, a taurus pt111, and a Ruger P89, for a RRA coyote carbine.
Total investment in the pistols was about $800.
The rifle is worth at least double what I had into the pistols at this point.
As far as going to spend money on new guns, gunshows are a waste of time to me.

MarkDido
February 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
The Orlando gun show has become a nightmare (lines, prices) but I still go for that "just in case" opportunity. Plus it's a great freak show and always good to see vendors I have purchased from over the years.

LGS called East Orange Shooting Sports in Winter Park that hasn't engaged in gouging AT ALL since this all started. Great staff, decent inventory, excellent range.

They used to have a Tuesday & Friday morning inventory release where everyone would show up for what turned out to be a very well-run, equitable and orderly buying spree. They just discontinued it, however, because some were flipping their stuff for a quick profit and they said it conflicted with the non-gouging policy. Yes, I know it wasn't them flipping but their OEM inventory was ending up on Gunbroker, et al that very afternoon and they didn't want to be associated with the mayhem.

Good to know. I haven't been there in a while, but business must be good considering their recent renovation.

Akita1
February 11, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mark - looks like it, always busy when I'm there. I asked them to put me on the rifle range to shoot my .357 & .45 last Fri because the pistol range was packed and they winked/nodded and let me go in there alone to have some "peaceful" shooting time. They are great guys but some are giving them hell (if you look on their FB page) for trying to be reasonable through all this nonsense. I try to give them as much business as possible and have purchased 2 guns from them recently - great prices and they actually had that which I had been seeking for months.

milehighjc
February 11, 2013, 05:58 PM
Compared to those of you posting here, Im sure I am a complete newbie. I have owned a shotgun for clays for 3 years now, and had been considering a handgun for quite a while, but never got serious about it until recently.

After visiting quite a few gun shops with empty shelves, I finally visited a large gun show two weeks ago. For me, it was time well spent. I was able to compare a WIDE variety of handguns, far more than I had been able to see in all the gun shops combined. I wound up finding a CZ P-01 that I really liked. Im was not sure at the time if it was a great price or not (I didnt have the perspective that day to know), but since I went with a good friend who did have some perspective, I wound up buying it. In retrospect, I have seen lower advertised prices, but with no availability. I have seen higher prices as well with some but not a lot of availability, so in the end attending the show was a good experience for me.

Will I go to more? Who knows. When I need something specific (ammo, holster... ...) perhaps. But the first visit was well worth my time.

22-rimfire
February 11, 2013, 06:13 PM
How "tired" of gun shows relates mostly to my finances. I see no point in going to a gun show without at least $1000 in my pocket. That $1000 has been tough to keep there lately. Hence, I haven't been to a show in a good year.

Milehighjc, gun shows have historically been the place to go to find a wide assortment of firearms for sale. Glad you found what you were looking for. Yes, I think they're fun. I just have not been allowing the candy to be dangled in front of me lately. There is always another one I would like to have.

Ken70
February 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
18 years ago gun shows were pretty good. No internet so you had to buy Shotgun News or some other publication to find out what the market was. But you could find ammo, components, mags, once in a while guns, that were a good value. Like 500 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre 147gr 9mm for $85. 50 rounds of .30 Carbine for $8, primers $11 per thousand.

wkumatt
February 11, 2013, 11:02 PM
No one has mentioned my favorite part, the parking lot. I never went in the last show I was at. I hung a sign around my neck and got my asking price for the two pistols I was selling before I got to the building. Then bought a S&W from a guy in line. The line was looking like it was going to take a half hour to get in so I went home, all in all, a good day. I've been hanging a sign on my neck for what I wanted to buy or what I am selling for a long time, hasn't failed me yet.

digsigs226
February 11, 2013, 11:17 PM
I stopped going to gun shows about eight years ago. I got tired of paying money to get into a gun show just to see overpriced stuff.

I can relate, I got tired of paying an $8.00 cover charge so I can have access to abused, rusted, low quality firearms and overpriced ammunition. I'm sure other people have had positive experiences, but as for me, I have regretted it every time I have gone.

I will stick to the local gun stores.

Ignition Override
February 12, 2013, 12:37 AM
Of my 13 guns, all of which are rifles, there are records (if still kept) for only two of them.
Shows always have what our local stores never have-an interesting variety of milsurps.

The intention later this year is to drive to the very large Dallas show, with some cash saved up.
But gun shows aren't any fun, right?

9w1911
February 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
There is one here sat and sun we will see, my guess is everything will be expensive

Russ Jackson
February 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
They keep raising the prices to enter. Its gone from $7 to $9 in the past 6 months and its always the same crap. Best deals in Ohio are from people walking around. Ammo is a JOKE.

Pyzon
February 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Crowds are bad, prices are high, but if I have nothing better to do that day I may waste the entry fee. Once every other time I find a bargain on accessories, but not guns or ammo anymore.

Lots of diabetic knee socks, therapeutic magnets, airsoft toys, and other non-gun crap.
And I have to agree with the deodorant comment. And be prepared to wander into non-moving traffic jams with crop-dusted clouds of flatulence taking your breath away, especially in the morning.

Some complaints I do have though is people bringing kids in strollers, and face to face buyers and sellers totally blocking progress in the middle of the already too narrow aisles. I'm all for face to face, but I wish they would create a separate area for that so you are not caught in crowds going nowhere all day. And being constantly swept by long guns and handguns being carried with fingers on triggers keeps me weaving and bobbing.

mgmorden
February 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
Maybe I'm just too accustomed to other types of events, but to me a "gun show" was never much of a "show". Its a giant room where I'm standing in line and paying to shop.

If admission were free then sure, I'd go shop, but if I pay to get in I'm expecting a little more in the way of, well, a show. I attend a ton of other events related to other interests of mine that are like that. You pay to get in, and there might be a vendors area where you can buy stuff, but they also have scheduled seminars and presentations and other such events that make you feel like you're getting something for your money.

If they let the public in, I'd pay to go to SHOT Show for example (if they let the public in), as its a little more like that and is what I'd actually consider a gun show. The local group of tables down at the local flea market though? Nah. I'd rather do my shopping online where I don't have to pay for admission.

If they honestly want me to attend they need to have some demonstrations. Have an auditorium where they explain the process of buying a suppressor. Or how to obtain a C&R. Or tips on self-defense. Bring in some guest speakers. Sure have the shopping area, but make me feel like its something worth paying to get into.

OilyPablo
February 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
I don't see why you guys pay money for your shows. Aren't they club run? Just join the club and go, no charge.

Bovice
February 14, 2013, 11:23 AM
I think you'd be happier if you went to a bigger and more legit show. In Orlando, the big dealer is shoot straight. They're always running sales at the shows, and I've gotten great deals with them.

Ammo vendors are typically reasonable when/where I go. But the true hallmark of a good gun show is the food!

J-Bar
February 14, 2013, 11:25 AM
Beats mowing the lawn.

Damon555
February 14, 2013, 05:19 PM
I quit going to gun shows a long time ago for several reasons. Inflated prices being the major one....Mall ninjas and annoying old guys who complain about the government are a few more. Then there's all the other crap that has nothing to do with guns....Crowds, traffic, admission fees and parking. All that equals no reason to go.

ngnrd
February 14, 2013, 06:57 PM
I don't see why you guys pay money for your shows. Aren't they club run? Just join the club and go, no charge.
The best gun show in my area is a fundraiser for the local high school hockey team (and it's held in the school gymnasium and cafeteria). So, even if I don't actually find something to buy, I consider my admission fee a donation to the team.

Go Warriors!

Ignition Override
February 15, 2013, 01:22 AM
One solution can be to enter a show at 1:00-2:00 PM.

The crowds are thinner and by then there was almost no line at both the recent Memphis and Nashville shows.
And by about 1:00 the guys who stayed up late drinking the night before finally wander in with interesting WW2-Korean vintage rifles slung on their shoulders.

Those shopping malls and Home Depot need your cash, and charge nothing to enter. What fun!:cool:

shotgunjoel
February 15, 2013, 01:29 AM
I am starting to get burnt on some the bigger shows in my area (ECA shows), but I really enjoy the New Berlin show, even though it's the smallest show I go to (~200 tables) and 1 1/2 hours away, it's my favorite. It's hosted by the local rifle association so it's mostly private sellers from the area. I've bought a couple rifles there and a few other things. Plus, free parking, $3 to get in, and no candles or chocolate-covered cherries etc. Every table is firearms related.

Ehtereon11B
February 15, 2013, 02:03 AM
I don't plan on going to anymore gun shows until things get (semi) back to normal. $8-20 for parking and another $8 per ticket just to get in. That's too much money to walk in, say "yep its a gun show" find some empty tables where ARs should be, junk everywhere else. And leave.

col_temp
February 15, 2013, 04:55 AM
I plan to go again this weekend. Mostly window shopping and it is fun to look over some of the old timer guns and the antiques.
I also hope to use ti to bring a few other friends into the gun ownership circle. Gun shows can be a good way to see a large variety of just about anything.
And yes I have seen some very good deals every once in a while. Still kicking myself for not jumping on one last month!
As top prices. Know what you are looking for and what a decent online price for it actually is. I have seen way over priced stuff and then competitive priced items. And the occasional good deal.
At least the parking is free! And the WAC does run a good show.

lcambre
February 15, 2013, 08:56 AM
I have lived in different parts of the country and the shows in my area were run by for profit businesses.

AethelstanAegen
February 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
Frankly, depending on what you're thinking about buying, sometimes it's worth paying the $10 entry fee just to be able to see a variety of guns and compare them first hand for size, weight, feel in the hand, etc. I often find myself interested in guns that my LGSs don't have in which case I have to have them order it or buy it online. Either way, I do rather run the risk of finding out I don't like it when it gets in and then I'm already committed to the purchase. So even if you don't buy at a show, it can be worth the price of admission to get a feel for the options and every once in a while you'll find a good deal.

Ryanxia
February 15, 2013, 11:53 AM
I still like them. I like the buzz and seeing a bunch of people I know. Plus, *knock on wood* I've always found something worth picking up. We have another one coming up in March, hopefully it will be good.

Agsalaska
February 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
I cant stand gun shows. I stopped going after I left Alaska. I really dont like LGS either. Ususally I find them to be rude, condescinding, and not very well run. You can multiply that by 10 at gun shows.

OilyPablo
February 16, 2013, 01:10 PM
Home and done. Bought a QD swivel, a sealed 1911 GI mag AND some .357Sig ammo for 9mm prices. $20/box 50. Bought it all up. Surplus Arms & Ammo does have some 10mm and .357Sig for $25 box!! (Bulk 9mm for $30/box!!) I NEVER thought I would see the day.

Magnus1959
February 16, 2013, 07:15 PM
That right?:D

Magnus1959
February 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
That's TOO big. Get it right son.

algebraman
February 17, 2013, 03:21 AM
Get a table at a show once a year or so and sell your guns and stuff for cheap prices -- best way to counter the trend of high GS prices.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 17, 2013, 03:34 AM
I've only been to several in my life and that was what kept me from going back year after year. The place is generally such a mob-scene that there isn't even elbow room. Everyone is standing around to the point where you need to say "excuse me" about a thousand times in two hours, finally working my way to the door to get into the quiet of my car and be glad I'm "outta-there!"

I have never seen any real 'deals' at these shows. What brass I did buy once was mostly trash that was polished and baggied-up to look pretty.

coloradokevin
February 17, 2013, 04:02 AM
I stopped caring for gun shows nearly ten years ago, and went to a few more just to browse and not buy. I've also found that they're:

1) Crowded
2) Overpriced
3) Full of morons

One of my friends went to the Tanner show here in Colorado today. He wasn't impressed, and said that most everything was grossly overpriced.

Deltaboy
February 17, 2013, 06:07 PM
Worked one this weekend and the prices were out of sight. 50 bucks for a 500 round brick of 22 LR.

OilyPablo
February 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Some vendors were asking $70 for a 500 brick of .22LR. THAT is crazy.

Jaymason
February 17, 2013, 06:36 PM
Well I live in eastern Pa, we have people from both NY & NJ come to the shows let me tell you they are the rudest people you will see.
I was at a show in December and I was hit n the crotch by a fool carrying a 30/30 in one hand at waist high, I explained to him that it was an unsafe way to carry and he just coped an attitude. No on the positive side I went to a show this past Saturday and it was mush better, I think that the snow kept the crowd away.

BruceB
February 17, 2013, 07:07 PM
My experience, after a "sheltered" lifetime spent in the Arctic, is limited to the Big Reno Show.

I am NEVER disappointed in that extravaganza! It's both educational and entertaining. Seeing everything in one day is virtually impossible, so I try to attend for at least two of the three days. Since I live 2.5 hours away. this makes a nice weekend excursion.

The admission price is reasonable and parking is free.

The range of firearms and accessories is awesome.

Over my limited times of attendance, I've found a MINT Danish-return Garand for $500, a Whitworth Mini-Mauser .223 as-new for $400, a NIB Remington 870 slug gun for $280... the list goes on.

Great show, great times....it even has two bars INSIDE the show. It is Reno, after all,,,,

Deltaboy
February 17, 2013, 08:29 PM
Some vendors were asking $70 for a 500 brick of .22LR. THAT is crazy.
Sorry but 70 bucks is INSANE.

El Tejon
February 17, 2013, 08:35 PM
It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!:D

justice06rr
February 19, 2013, 02:47 AM
Maybe I'm just too accustomed to other types of events, but to me a "gun show" was never much of a "show". Its a giant room where I'm standing in line and paying to shop.

If admission were free then sure, I'd go shop, but if I pay to get in I'm expecting a little more in the way of, well, a show. I attend a ton of other events related to other interests of mine that are like that. You pay to get in, and there might be a vendors area where you can buy stuff, but they also have scheduled seminars and presentations and other such events that make you feel like you're getting something for your money.

If they let the public in, I'd pay to go to SHOT Show for example (if they let the public in), as its a little more like that and is what I'd actually consider a gun show. The local group of tables down at the local flea market though? Nah. I'd rather do my shopping online where I don't have to pay for admission.

If they honestly want me to attend they need to have some demonstrations. Have an auditorium where they explain the process of buying a suppressor. Or how to obtain a C&R. Or tips on self-defense. Bring in some guest speakers. Sure have the shopping area, but make me feel like its something worth paying to get into.

You are kinda arguing semantics about the "show" part of gun show. Maybe you are referring more to a "meet" or flea-market type of gun show.

If you don't want to pay admission, then go to your LGS where they don't charge entry fees. Gun shows charge entry fees because it costs money to hold the event.

No, they do not want you to attend; it is your decision if you want to go or not.

If you don't like to go to gun shows... Then DON'T!

I get tired of stupid whiney people always going on about how bad gun shows are, but still keep going to them.

I personally like them. I often don't buy anything, but it gives me a chance to see a large variety of guns and supplies that no single gun dealer could possibly have, and there are quite often good deals to have, especially in the less commonly desired guns.

If, the next time you go to a gun show, and are disappointed by it, instead of whining about it, just don't go to the next one.

Many of us like them, and will patronize them, even if we choose to exercise discretion about what we buy. Yes, they can be a bit of a circus, but that is part of the fun.

I repeat- No one is forcing you to go! If you don't like them, then feel free to not attend. The last thing we need is a bunch of angry, disgruntled people showing up with a bad attitude.

^ This makes more sense.

Don't like gun shows? Don't go. many people have said they haven't gone to gun shows in years. If you have no reason to go, or if you hate large crowds and inflated prices, then it isn't the place for you.

I've gone to gun shows in my area for the last couple of years and have usually not been disappointed. I never go expecting to find a awesome deal on a firearm to begin with, but if you come across one then you grab it asap. Most of the time I will go to buy a few boxes of ammo and accesories (mags, holsters, range bags, knives, etc); those are the items you normally save on, not guns themselves.

I also go to support a couple of local small vendors that actually sell items at very reasonable prices without price gouging. They both sell Magpul accessories at cost and sometimes below cost, and also sights/holsters/slings very cheap. These are the guys I support when I go to gun shows.

Checkman
February 19, 2013, 04:00 AM
I haven't been to a gunshow in six years because I just haven't. Now I'm hearing about all the silliness and have no desire to go. There are a couple LGS where the employees are nice guys, there is a good selection (even now) and prices are still okay. And like others have pointed out there is no entrance fee and the parking is free. I'm good.

Boxhead
February 19, 2013, 05:39 AM
This topic is nearing the age of Methuselah....

UKWildcatFan
February 19, 2013, 08:22 AM
Agreed. You don't like liver, don't eat it. We don't care either way.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm tired of gun shows..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!