Chamfer / Deburring Tool

February 9, 2013, 12:33 PM
I have found the first component that needs replacing. I don't like the Lee tool that came in the kit. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Chamfer / Deburring Tool" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 9, 2013, 12:37 PM
One that looks like this from any manufacture will last a lifetime.

February 9, 2013, 12:57 PM
Those work fine, I have an RCBS one but without the little pilot shaft thing on the debur side.
I should say they are fine, until you have a pile of brass to work through then they turn into torture devices.
It has made me shop for a case prep center.

February 9, 2013, 01:47 PM
I've used countersinks for years (machinist, mechanic background). I like a 60 degree for removing primer pocket crimps and cleaning up case mouths. I've attached file handles, used one in a hand drill and drill press, and just by hand...

February 9, 2013, 02:25 PM
Been using the same RCBS chamfer and deburr tool for over 15yrs. And I even bought it used. So it has many years on it.

February 9, 2013, 04:08 PM
I've owned and used about every type of chamfering tool ever offered on the reloading market, and even more that were custom one-of-a-kind. Currently the best I know of among commercial hand types is made by KM precision. It comes in a couple sizes, and it's main feature, aside from it's obvious superior quality, is that it can be set to cut to a specific depth. Thus insuring that case to case inside chamfer bevels are uniform. It costs more but well worth the difference.

February 9, 2013, 05:00 PM
I use the "ati vibration through hole" style countersinks in my mill, just hold the case up to them for a second and you're good to go.

Have not found a good external chamfer tool yet. Probably going to just machine something out of tool steel. I made a bushing to hold the Lee chamfer tool in a mill collet, but I'm not happy with how the Lee cuts. It seems to smash the burr more than it removes it.

February 9, 2013, 05:07 PM
RCBS makes a really nice one. I bought the Lee about 25 yrs. ago and I agree, it just isn't all that great.

February 9, 2013, 05:09 PM
BTW, the RCBS one is made by Wilson, exactly like the one RC has posted.

February 9, 2013, 05:28 PM
I bought this as a replacement right from the start.

I've been very happy with it and its much easier on the fingers when working alot of brass. Especially with the brass chucked in a cordless drill with the lee lock stud.

Good luck.

February 9, 2013, 07:48 PM
The Lee tool is pretty bad. The RCBS one seems much better suited to the task.

February 10, 2013, 04:26 AM
+1maxyedor. Lee outside chamfer isnt perfect. But IMO it works a lot better than the pronged type. Esp if you are doing motorized trimming. Dont throw it out yet.

February 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
I like the Lyman tool and the tools will screw tight onto the studs on my RCBS prep center. Good sharp tool that do the job quickly.

February 10, 2013, 09:16 PM
RCBS case prep center. I hate the chamfer tools and I have a few of them.... love the prep center.

Jesse Heywood
February 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
If you have a bunch of brass to deburr and the caliber is roughly .30 or larger, one of the twisty style deburr tools with the blade for brass works.

February 13, 2013, 07:31 AM
You mean i shouldn't use my pocket knife to clean up my cases?

February 13, 2013, 08:20 AM

this will eliminate the hand cramps

February 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
That power adapter is an interesting idea and I suppose would work in batch loading where you deburr all the rounds then chamfer. I much prefer chucking my lee lock stud into the drill and spinning the brass to trim (if needed), chamfer and deburr (with the Lyman 6 in 1), brush the inside of the necks and pass some extra fine steel wool over the outside for a little cleaning/polishing; then move on to the next case.

To each their own.

fallout mike
February 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
I concur with the RCBS tool.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chamfer / Deburring Tool" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!