Bulk 22 ammo

PDA

glockky
February 9, 2013, 05:11 PM
When do you guys suspect we will see bulk 22 ammo hit the shelves again? My Dad heard the other day at the sporting good store that one of the the large rimfire ammo factories was hit during the hurricane and still hasnt recovered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulk 22 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Solo
February 9, 2013, 05:11 PM
I hear some stores have it again. Mostly Walmarts.

DJW
February 9, 2013, 05:12 PM
My crystal ball is broken. Your guess is as good as mine.

nathan
February 9, 2013, 05:17 PM
No .22 s from my side , only hunting and shotgun shells.

glockky
February 9, 2013, 05:24 PM
I just didnt know if they had started to show up in different areas yet. I figured this was something they could catch up with pretty quick. Hopefully soon I have a good supply but still hate to shoot it knowing I cant go and buy more.

berettaprofessor
February 9, 2013, 05:26 PM
Bought a 525 at Cabelas a couple of weeks ago...but they were out again 15 minutes later.

xjsnake
February 9, 2013, 05:32 PM
I found 50 round boxes today (limit two per day) at a local shop.

wyohome
February 9, 2013, 05:33 PM
Still had plenty at the local hardware store a couple of day ago. $20.99 for 525 Federal or 500 Remington.

oneounceload
February 9, 2013, 05:36 PM
Brand new Gander Mtn flyer has it in there

LordDunsany
February 9, 2013, 05:37 PM
I'm seeing dribs and drabs of .22 on a local swap net but nothing in any quantity.

.22 ammo is exceedingly rare around here. If you can find a carton at a LGS then you're doing good. The local gun stores have jacked it up a lot, except for Wally World, but there isn't any to be had there.

Local guys on the swap forum are selling 500 rd cartons of plinking ammo for upwards of $80(!) and at least one guy is selling individual 50rd boxes for ten bucks. I think that there is a lot of profiteering going on, especially for those who are just getting into shooting or have failed to keep up with current events and were caught without anything put back.

I don't know if or when things will get back to normal. I may have to take up casting so I'll have some target ammo.

Ron in Texas

USAF_Vet
February 9, 2013, 05:52 PM
LGS has 100 round lacks of Remington Golden for $6.99. They had 50 boxes or so, and the pile dwindled as I stood at the ammo counter. I picked up a couple boxes.

I haven't seen a 500 bulk pack of 22lr in months.

nathan
February 9, 2013, 05:53 PM
Good luck finding within a 50 mile radius of HOuston or any major city. If theres people and gunowners, then theres none to be bought.

Coyote3855
February 9, 2013, 05:59 PM
None available for weeks in Cheyenne.

22-rimfire
February 9, 2013, 06:18 PM
Mostly sold out retailers and waiting for resupply. How long? No idea.

v8stang289
February 9, 2013, 06:20 PM
Local Walmart gets federal bulk 22lr in 2 to 3 times a week. But it sells as fast as they get it in.

murphys_law
February 9, 2013, 07:45 PM
"Golden dirt" is all I shoot in my semi. Can't find it anywhere. Bought a few thousand over a month ago and haven't found any since.

wriggly
February 9, 2013, 07:54 PM
Walmart near me has CCI mini mag 100 round boxes in stock. I am too lazy to go out though.

I picked up a 500 round box of Winchester, the one in the old time wooden box for 34 bucks at Gander mountain yesterday. I have enough that at the rate I use it, I should have some left to leave the kids in my will when I die.

HankR
February 9, 2013, 09:18 PM
Don't care -- don't put that junk through my guns.

Please pardon the bother. We didn't mean to disturb you. Is there anything else you would rather us not discuss?

MedWheeler
February 9, 2013, 09:28 PM
I still have some, but have limited use for it, as the only two guns I own that will run it are a single-shot rifle and a single-action six-shooter. My semi-automatics all demand stuff more along the lines of CCI Mini-Mags, and I can't find any of that. I do enjoy shooting that sixgun, though, so if I find any bulk stuff reasonably-priced, I'll still probably end up grabbing it.

Balrog
February 9, 2013, 09:31 PM
I just bought all Walmart had, about 7500 rounds.

smallbore
February 9, 2013, 09:36 PM
Still pretty scarce around here. Hasn't been any at Wal-Mart in over a month. None at the local gun shop.

wyohome
February 9, 2013, 09:44 PM
I just checked out my hardware honeyhole. Out of Federal 525 packs, bought a couple 500 packs of Rem Thunderbolts for $20.99. I took a picture of their ammo shelf...but haven't figured out the phone to website transfer thing.

Impureclient
February 9, 2013, 09:48 PM
Until this stops: "I just bought all Walmart had, about 7500 rounds."

We will be dealing with this for a while unless all Walmarts institute a buying limit on boxes.
One of these days, I'd like to be able to shoot again and that's my only chance.

Steve CT
February 9, 2013, 09:57 PM
As part of a group ammo buy with some other guys, I got 5000 .22 lr about two weeks ago, which should see me thru until summer. I'll probably get more then, it seems to be pretty working well.

Balrog
February 9, 2013, 10:07 PM
I guess you have to keep this all in perspective. I bought a butt load of Glock magazines a while back for about $20 each. I just sold a lot of them for $75 each at a gun show. A few people complained about the price, but were basically pushed out of the way by people trying to hand me $75.

WCraven
February 9, 2013, 10:09 PM
My LGS said they would have 22lr when they get 9mm lol.. now my brother-inlaw use to rag me about my 45acp as he said 9mm was much cheaper to shoot, well i bought a box of 9mm for $23 for 50 rounds yesterday and a box of 45acp for $22 for 50 rounds.. lol

but it is getting to the point that i want to see pictures of your ammo and not your guns :neener:

sonick808
February 9, 2013, 10:14 PM
but it is getting to the point that i want to see pictures of your ammo and not your guns

so true so true!!!!!

I have caught myself staring longingly at large stacks of 500ct bricks of .22LR on google images.

SaxonPig
February 9, 2013, 10:23 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=702174

TB2Blazer
February 9, 2013, 10:35 PM
Its people like this, "I just bought all Walmart had, about 7500 rounds" that piss me off. Instead of just buying a few boxes to shoot they clear the shelves and either mark it up and sell it for three times what they paid for it or just lock it away in a safe for ten years. All while the people who actually shoot ammo they buy are stuck looking everywhere for the stuff and still not able to shoot.

msrfrog
February 9, 2013, 10:45 PM
I could kick myself for not buying the CCI ammo can with like 2000 rounds for $120. :(
Back in the summer.

tjschul
February 9, 2013, 10:50 PM
Jeez, just hold off shooting at target dots for a while and let things get caught up.

Some of you guys sound like junkies. If the prices are too high and the supply tight, why would you shoot up what you have anyway? Get out your airgun or bow and get your fix that way for a while.

Balrog
February 9, 2013, 11:12 PM
Its people like this, "I just bought all Walmart had, about 7500 rounds" that piss me off. Instead of just buying a few boxes to shoot they clear the shelves and either mark it up and sell it for three times what they paid for it or just lock it away in a safe for ten years. All while the people who actually shoot ammo they buy are stuck looking everywhere for the stuff and still not able to shoot.

wow i dont really understand how someone lucking up on ammo makes you mad. It is not an essential item. Maybe you should start stocking up too when u find it.

ole farmerbuck
February 9, 2013, 11:26 PM
Natches has Blazer in stock now. One box is all you can order so it would have only been $51.25 for me to get 525 rounds! Glad I stocked up late last year at $15.79/525.

shafter
February 9, 2013, 11:42 PM

It's comments like this that remind me of the fable of the grasshopper and the ants. Anyone who learned from 2009 and planned accordingly is a smart ant. I don't feel sorry for grasshoppers.

22-rimfire
February 9, 2013, 11:45 PM
This will pass. Just have some patience. But I have to say if you were caught unawares by the current shortage, you really don't pay much attention.

Balrog
February 10, 2013, 12:33 AM
Most of yall dont need that ammo you are whining about not having anyway. Live and learn. Next time be prepared. In the meanwhile, I aint sharing.

BHP FAN
February 10, 2013, 12:40 AM
people not smart enough to stock up, shouldn't complain. That being said, I'm down to a brick, myself.

silicosys4
February 10, 2013, 01:33 AM
Picked up 10k rounds about 6 months ago for $260. Just saw about 5k rounds on the shelf of a local sporting goods store last night, Blazers for $20/500. I picked up 1k to replace what I've shot, came back 24 hours later for something else unrelated and the rest were gone. Its getting stocked regularly, it seems...but sells out immediately.

runnn
February 10, 2013, 01:49 AM
Par for the course this time around...

Sprouticus
February 10, 2013, 02:02 AM
I'm glad I got in on the CMP Remington ammo this fall.
A case of 5,000 rds. For $150 w/shipping.
I never thought there would be a run on 22LR, or I would have ordered a few more cases.

Bassleg
February 10, 2013, 02:33 AM
I still shoot once a week I just don't make a day of it , seen it coming again.

Isaac-1
February 10, 2013, 04:00 AM
I was in the local Academy today and shelves were looking much better stocked than I had seen since shortly after the craze began, still no 5.56, 7.62x anything, 22LR, etc., but they did at least have good supplies almost all types of shotgun ammo, and most of the less popular rifle ammo. Also unlike last weekend there were not crowds of people standing around waiting on NICS checks, in fact when I was there mid afternoon today while the store was fairly busy there was NO ONE looking at guns when I walked by the counter, compare this to just over 2 weeks ago I was there at 3 pm on a Thursday afternoon and there were over a dozen people doing or waiting on NICS clearance at the counter.

XD Fan
February 10, 2013, 04:18 AM
Found a local pawn shop that had several Remington 555 (?) on their shelf. Asking price? $60 per box. Didn't buy that stuff.

wooly bugger
February 10, 2013, 09:30 AM
If you check Midway every day, you'll see that it pops up here and there.

While I agree that most of the panic buying is irrational, it makes sense in some cases. I'll give you two.

1) Chicago is considering a 5 cent/round tax. Do the math on .22LR
2) A few states are considering banning internet sales. Fine for bulk, but a big pain if you want match grade ammo, which few LGS's sell.

I agree with not hogging it all. I've gotten what I need and have stopped, even though I'm in one of those states trying to ban internet sales. I would further suggest that those lucky enough to live in places like TX hold off and give the people in threatened states a chance.

Chevelle SS
February 10, 2013, 09:35 AM
One of my local stores got a shipment of 50,000 yesterday and sold all of it, one box per customer, in one day.

22-rimfire
February 10, 2013, 09:38 AM
That is pretty amazing considering they were rationing sales.

WCraven
February 10, 2013, 03:45 PM
I have 3X100 brand new CCI Mini Mag HP 22lr .. What do you think the ebay crowd would give lol..

ole farmerbuck
February 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
I dont know but I thought about listing a few 5000 round cases and sit back and watch. 22 ammo is worth more than my wheat and corn.

sonick808
February 10, 2013, 04:12 PM
I just bought all Walmart had, about 7500 rounds.

Good to know, THANKS FRIEND!!!!!!!

Balrog
February 10, 2013, 11:06 PM
I stopped in at Academy sports today and found Remington UMC 45 ACP 230g Harball in the 500 round bulk packs. I bought one (they would only sell one per customer), but fortunately had my wife with me so I got her to buy one too. They only had 2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulk 22 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!