3D printed Mag good for 347 rounds, Defense Distributed calls it the "Cuomo"

PDA

Dean Weingarten
February 9, 2013, 04:39 PM
Picture of pile of fired rounds (from Defense Distributed)

The Cuomo (30 round AR-15 magazine) is said to have operated for 342 rounds, two thirds of them full auto. This is a complete redesign over the last prototype.

The video of the test and even the article by wired.com have been reported blocked by various sites.

The design is not available at the site that Defense Distributed has set up for "The Island of Misfit Objects" or DEFCAD .

The design is expected to be made available to the public in a few days.

As reported earlier, the group is also working on a 40 round magazine for firearms that use AK type magazines.

Link to video

Link to wired.com article

Link to DEFCAD

Dean Weingarten

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/02/3d-printed-mag-good-for-347-rounds.html

If you enjoyed reading about "3D printed Mag good for 347 rounds, Defense Distributed calls it the "Cuomo"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BBQJOE
February 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
Holy hell.
I was just speculating on this a few days ago. And here it is.

If there was an award for missing the boat, I'd own it.:D

carpboy
February 9, 2013, 10:52 PM
If DefCad comes out with a 20rnd AR mag they should call it the Il Duce' Cuomo.Il Duce' was the Nickname for Italian dictator Benito Mussolini,whose antics were identical to Cuomo's.Since the lower part of the mag is a plain flat surface they could print Cuomo's likeness on one side and Mussolini's on the other.

BK
February 9, 2013, 11:31 PM
Beautiful!

I love defdist

BHP FAN
February 9, 2013, 11:35 PM
http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com...uomo-video.php

TurtlePhish
February 10, 2013, 10:17 AM
I just downloaded the file. I'm gonna print it as soon as I finish my printrbot kit.

Trouble is, I don't have an AR to test it in.

Any takers here on THR? Cost of material and shipping and it's yours to play with and test for us! :D

Edit: I've already got two takers, may consider more. PM if interested.

captain awesome
February 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
If there is one for 6.8 SPC I would be happy to test it for that deal. Don't own a 556 AR15 though.

we are not amused
February 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
Strike one up for freedom!

rdhood
February 10, 2013, 09:11 PM
Will it be constructive possession in NY to have a gun that will accept a magazine and a 3d printer?

jamesbeat
February 11, 2013, 10:43 AM
There was a push a while ago to require registration of machine tools in the UK.
The 'thinking' behind it was that people might use them to make guns...

WardenWolf
February 11, 2013, 02:39 PM
Very nice. Lasting for 11 reloads is pretty good. Most of my mags won't see that for many years.

Trent
February 11, 2013, 04:55 PM
Finally!

This is going to forever free the people from current and/or future Magazine Bans.

Hypothetically speaking, one could just keep a "trash barrel" burning at your local range in case LEO arrives.

JohnnyK
February 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
if you make ar in 7.62 x 39 ill test it.

mrvco
February 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
While proving the durability of these mags at full-auto makes total sense... I'd much rather see the video for general distribution done at semi-auto. This just reinforces the Antis ignorance about all their "shooting from the hip machine gun pray-n-spray" nonsense.

dmckean44
February 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
I'm curious how much these cost to print. Are they cheap enough to be one time use only?

Nickel Plated
February 11, 2013, 08:19 PM
While proving the durability of these mags at full-auto makes total sense... I'd much rather see the video for general distribution done at semi-auto. This just reinforces the Antis ignorance about all their "shooting from the hip machine gun pray-n-spray" nonsense.
The whole point of the video was to demonstrate their durability. Full auto is the best way to do that. Plus you can't complain when you get to see a beautiful retro AR like that dump a few mags.

Seriously they are demonstrating an evil "high-capacity" magazine that you can print at the touch of a button, completely unhindered by any laws that the government may pass. And you're concerned that the full auto is what's going to make the antis all hysterical?

Trent
February 11, 2013, 08:30 PM
Plastic melts a lot easier than metal, just saying guys.

You know who knocks on the door.

You talk to them for a few minutes, they come inside.

DING

"Oh hang on a minute guys, my hot pockets are done and I'm starving"

"OOOH HELL My wife left the tupperware in the damn microwave again! Damnit! I have melted plastic everywhere!"

{evil grin}

TurtlePhish
February 11, 2013, 08:40 PM
I'm curious how much these cost to print. Are they cheap enough to be one time use only?

ABS filament is roughly $15/lb, but there are cheaper or more expensive printable plastics out there.

Looking at a 1lb spool, I think you could get a couple mags out of it.

dmckean44
February 12, 2013, 01:30 AM
Any idea how much in bulk?

TurtlePhish
February 12, 2013, 10:39 AM
Cheapest I've seen is $25/kg for bulk orders.

mrvco
February 12, 2013, 01:27 PM

Seriously they are demonstrating an evil "high-capacity" magazine that you can print at the touch of a button, completely unhindered by any laws that the government may pass. And you're concerned that the full auto is what's going to make the antis all hysterical?

Sadly, yes. We'll look pretty silly with a bunch of printed mags and nothing to use them in. Of course we'll be printing AR components soon enough (if not already).

Trent
February 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
I still think the answer to a printed gun is an FS2000 style firearm.

The receiver is entirely polymer, the fire control group is entirely polymer (with some steel pivot pins, obviously). The remainder of the gun is pretty frigging simplistic in design - something a qualified machinist could crank out on a milling machine in short order. Barrel blank, lathe, 223 chamber... done and done...

Anywho, beyond the scope of this thread.

Have fun making your "quickly disposable mags" :)

"Warning, this magazine will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...."

Inebriated
February 12, 2013, 06:48 PM
I don't often actually lol when I read something, but "the cuomo" got a little 7 up in my nose.

Hunter125
February 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
Did the mag self destruct at 343, or did they run out of ammo?

bigfatdave
February 12, 2013, 09:20 PM
Anyone have a begineer's guide to the printing equipment?
Please post it up and/or PM me with it, I have room and time to experiment.

USAF_Vet
February 12, 2013, 09:44 PM
I don't often actually lol when I read something, but "the cuomo" got a little 7 up in my nose.
Good thing is was "7" Up, any more and it would have been illegal. :rolleyes:

TurtlePhish
February 12, 2013, 09:51 PM
Did the mag self destruct at 343, or did they run out of ammo?

The feedlips probably either distorted beyond use or simply broke. That's pretty much the failure with printed magazines.

bigfatdave
February 12, 2013, 09:56 PM
That's pretty much the failure with printed magazines.That's why the design I'm picturing uses salvaged feedlips from a low-capacity mag.

TurtlePhish
February 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
That's why the design I'm picturing uses salvaged feedlips from a low-capacity mag.

You know, that might actually work. Have a printed lower section that attaches to the cut-off aluminum top with epoxy or something.

Can you give me the outer dimensions of the straight top part of an aluminum magazine and the thickness of the sheet metal? I'll see if I can draw up something on AutoCAD.

If you enjoyed reading about "3D printed Mag good for 347 rounds, Defense Distributed calls it the "Cuomo"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!