Scope mount for a Tikka Sporter

PDA

B!ngo
February 9, 2013, 08:02 PM
I just fulfilled a long-standing wish by purchasing a left-handed Tikka Sporter (derived from the T3) rifle chambered in .308. Rather than using the standard Tikka mounts/rings, I purchased a very nice picatinny rail mount designed exactly for the rifle. I provides more flexibility and adaptability to a wider range of mounts.
My question is this: is it possible and practical to use a quick-release design scope mount with this setup? I'd like to be able to use a LaRue quick release mount with my new Leica optic (30mm) instead of regular rings. It seems that, once I decided to go with a picatinny mount, having the flexibility to use a quick-release mount seems straightforward. The rifle stock has an adjustable cheek rest if I have a cheek-weld/scope height issue. And having the flexibility to dismount the setup and place another one on in its place sounds interesting.
Any downside?
Thx,
B

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope mount for a Tikka Sporter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CB900F
February 9, 2013, 09:33 PM
B!ngo;

Congratulations on the LHB Tikka, I've got a couple myself. Fine guns & mine seem to be able to shoot good enough for me. Myself, I use Talley mounts for almost all my scopes these days, & don't plan on swapping a scope off a gun once I get the setup finalized.

The only downside I can see to using a QD mount system is what your level of acceptable accuracy is. If you start getting "into" the accuracy thing, well I strongly doubt that you'll ever see a set of QD mounts on a bench gun in active competition. But, if that's not your level of borderline insanity, it's possible that the QD system will work just fine for your needs.

900F

B!ngo
February 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks CB*. Interesting to know. To improve my understanding, would the QD design (I'm looking at a LaRue with a relatively low optic centerline height to fit with my 44MM (from memory) optic front lens) be less accurate if it was never removed? I.e. is there something structural or as a by-product of being removable that makes it less accurate?
Or is your perspective based on losing accuracy once it is removed/replaced (which I do assume would cause a loss in absolute accuracy)?
Thanks,
B

CB900F
February 10, 2013, 11:27 PM
B!ngo;

I've only got so much insanity to go around, benchrest shooting hasn't made the grade. That niche would have to compete with skiing, a Ducati, and other broad-spectrum gun interests. But, having been in the general gun world for awhile, I know that those guys would rather be able to brag about having a social disease than admit to having QD mounts on a competition gun.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope mount for a Tikka Sporter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!