PDA

fallout mike
February 9, 2013, 07:26 PM
I picked up a .243 today at a price I just couldn't turn down. $150. Anyway, if it is accurate it will be my sons hunting rifle next year. I've never loaded this round. What are some of you guys favorite deer load for this caliber? I've only hunted once with a .243 with less than satisfactory results. I killed a deer but had to track it further than any deer I've ever killed. And I done my part by making a great shot. So, that said, im a bit leary of this round. My son will be 8 next hunting season.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thomis
February 9, 2013, 08:11 PM
.243 Winchester is more than adequate for deer. Guaranteed.
Which rifle did you snag that $150 deal on? Congrats

I like IMR 4064 powder. There are a handful of powders and bullets adequate for deer sized game. But my standard deer load is 36.1 grains of IMR 4064 and a 100 grain bullet (I use the Hornady SP). Very accurate and the deer hate it. I've never tracked a deer further than out of sight.

fallout mike
February 9, 2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I had some people over today. One brought a friend. He just bought a .270 and a 7mm mag. He said he had one to sell cheap. Its a Remington 700 with a cheap tasco scope on it, a handful of ammo, and he said he has roughly 100 pieces of brass at home he is going to bring me. I've heard some people talking bad about the 700's. Never had one myself.

gamestalker
February 9, 2013, 08:42 PM
A 700 is a great action, nothing bad about them. Most will shoot sub moa right out of the box with the right loads and decent glass.
As for a good bullet, 100 or 105 gr., Sierra, Hornady, Speer, are all great deer pills with a good load behind them. IMR-4350 will work very nicely under a 105 gr. bullet. Slow enough burning to get decent velocity without having peaking pressures to high, to quickly. Speer BTSP's have dropped deer for me with no problems for many years, and have also grouped exceptionally well for me too.

GS

tcanthonyii
February 10, 2013, 01:34 AM
DANG!! A Rem 700 for 150??? That's an amazing deal.

ultratec1
February 10, 2013, 07:46 AM
I myself just picked up a remington 700 in .243. I have heard nothing but great things about the .243 cartridge that is why I was sold on them.

I am loading 36.5gr of RL15 with a Sierra 85gr Spitzer. This is the 4 shot group

kingmt
February 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
I have a 770 that is a heat single shot. The lugs on the bought are upside down causing it to snag on the neck of the next round in the mag. @100 yards out will shout one hole with 65 gn Hornady V-Max & BL(C)-2. @50 yards it will shoot same hole with this load.

I had taken 2 deer with the 65 V-Max & 20gn of a powder in the burn rate of Blue Dot. Nether went 30 yards. My son made a bad shot & his went about 150 yards because we got in a hurry & pushed it. If we would have waited it fell in sight.

Kachok
February 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
Nice deal :) $150 is a steal. I have not hunted with 243 is quite some years, but the Nosler Ballistic tip is one of my favorites in my small calibers, they hit like a much larger caliber, and they penetrate better then the internet trolls would have you believe. My first choice for the 90gr BT would be H4831consult you Nosler Manual for the charge, but you should be able to get 3200+fps AND accuracy, the max charge of 4831 is Nosler's "most accurate" load I have had superlative luck using those in my rifles. If that does not put a deer down the next thing I am shooting is the rope holding him up.
If you like heavier bullets or conventional bullets give the 100gr Serria Game King a go with 4350 or if you can find some N560. The Serria is a fantastic performer on game and is in my opinion the most accurate hunting bullet of all time, all five of my rifles shoot really really well with my SGKs, no other bullet does that.
The 243 should do just fine for deer just just be picky about your bullets, that is true in any small caliber, a bullet through the vitals kills, a GOOD bullet through the vitals kills quickly.

wankerjake
February 10, 2013, 11:41 AM
Hornady 100gr soft points have done me alright. I've used IMR 4064 and 4895 with good results. My only complaint is they come apart pretty easily. I'm running 85gr TSX right now but have not yet killed a deer with them. You may also take a look at Partitions or somehting bonded. Anything will do though, if you hit them well.

BGD
February 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
I have an old model 7 in 243. It shoots 100 g sierra gameking SPBT with 44 grains of H4831. You will need to work up to that load from 38 grains on the low end.

Kingcreek
February 10, 2013, 12:41 PM
Great deal but replace that scope ASAP.
I've had best results with the 100 gr soft points hornady or Sierra.

witchhunter
February 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Bought both of my boys a .243 for their first deer rifle, both killed their first mule deer with one shot. Dropped em. I just bought another one yesterday sight unseen from a guy that said that he didn't like it, too short. When I went to pick it up, it was a rem 700 youth model.....too short for me also. But I got a couple of grandkids that will love it....or with a fat barrel and an HS precision stock it will be a great windy day squirrel rig!

jrdolall
February 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
I can tell you from experience that the older model Rem 700s were excellent rifles but I have no experience with the newer guns. I have a 1970s 700 in 243 and a 1968 in 30-06 and both are fine rifles. I shoot factory ammo and have had good results with everything I have put through the 243. My son killed two does this year with the .243 using factory ammo but I am not looking at the box to tell you what brand. One dropped in her tracks and the other was a hell of a tracking job because the shot placement was well back.

WoodchuckAssassin
February 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
150 bucks! You can't even get a Remmy barrel for that much! Wish I had friends who gave me 80% deals on nice rifles :D

You made a fine caliber choice, especially since it'll be for your kid. I just picked up a 270, but it was a tough decision between it and the 243. I'm sure I'll be adding a 243 sooner than later. Happy Hunting!

c.latrans
February 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
Nosler makes a 95 grain partition for that rifle that I just LOVE. Have shot things from javelina to caribou with that bullet, just an awesome option. Great price, congrats on the deal!

fallout mike
February 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your hunting loads with me guys. I've got several options to start with now. As far as the scope, I will be changing out very soon. I can't spend too much. Ill probably put a lower end vortex on it.

tcanthonyii
February 10, 2013, 06:17 PM
Depending on the hunting don't discount the Tasco too much. A friend has been hunting with his for 3 years and it's always dead on.

Ken70
February 10, 2013, 06:25 PM
If you're in the market for a new reloading manual, the Lyman 49th has a good article on premium bullets in smaller calibers. Guy used a .270 for a one shot kill on a 2,000# elk from 380 yards. Dropped it, no Davy Crockett following a trail.

Kachok
February 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah Partitions are always a safe bet, pricey but they behave very well no matter if you are hitting at 2000fps or 3200fps. If I had an unlimited budget I would use alot more Partitions, but at almost a dollar a pop and the volume of shooting I do they are a bit out of my range, I get Deep Curls, SGKs, Speer BTSP, Hot Cores, and SSTs for about $0.23-$0.28 a piece. Never had a deer live long enough to complain about not being hit with a "premium" bullet.

tbob38
February 10, 2013, 08:21 PM
That Tasco scope may be better than you think. Try it before chucking it out. I used one for over 20 years before someone talked me out of it and it never missed a beat.

c.latrans
February 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
Kachok, you are right about the cost of partitions. I sure don't shoot them for prairie dogs or chucks, but if it is something I am going to put a tag on it's worth a few bucks for the peace of mind...to me, anyway. For most of my day to day shooting, I have a soft spot for plain old Hornaday BTSP's. When they shoot to my liking, they are most often my play bullets.

splattergun
February 10, 2013, 09:04 PM
I've got asn old Tasco 3-9 on my .243. It shoots 1.25" grops with Fed ammunition. Still working up my 1st handloads for it. The Tasco was on my 30-06 before that, and it helped my fill a few freezers full of meat. The last deer I killed with it was with a round in one ear and out the other.
Nothing wrong with that.

Arkansas Paul
February 10, 2013, 09:19 PM
Man, for whitetails, let me just tell you. The 85 grain Sierra Gameking BTHP bullets are the cat's meow. I believe it was Art Eatman on here that recommended the bullet to me when I was just starting to load it for the wife. I found the rifle's sweet spot with 36 grains of H380. MOA all day long. She shot a nubbin buck with it this year. 157 steps, DRT. Hole was just as big as my '06 makes.

fallout mike
February 10, 2013, 09:22 PM
Is that the ones you sending me to try out?

Lincoln4
February 10, 2013, 09:32 PM
Out of the six my daughter and I have killed with a .243, four dropped in their tracks. One ran 50 yards before dropping (heart shot), and one drug itself about 50 yards with both shoulders shattered. Great round. Have used 100gr Winchesters, Core-Lokts, and handloaded 100gr interlocks. This year trying 80gr Barnes TSX pushed by Ramshot Hunter. I'm sure they'll kill them as well...

Arkansas Paul
February 10, 2013, 09:40 PM
Yes they are.
I killed a doe last year with a 100 grain soft point factory round. It ran about 50 yds into a thicket and didn't leave a drop of blood. I almost lost it, even though it didn't go very far.
But these SGKs made a believer out of me. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any whitetail with one. The wound was massive.

243winxb
February 10, 2013, 10:08 PM
Sierra GameKIng 85 gr hpbt # 1530 with IMR 4350. Deer, woodchuck, crows. :)

fallout mike
February 10, 2013, 10:14 PM
That's cool paul. That little shop I told you about has those bullets in stock. As well as several powders suggested here.

slamfirev10
February 10, 2013, 10:54 PM
great 1st deer rifle for young 'un

buy 1 box of factory and be set for at least a couple of years

ssyoumans
February 10, 2013, 11:03 PM
I took a 7pt buck this year with a 95gr SST over a stout load of Ramshot Hunter. The round blew up inside the deer and did its job, deer dropped within 15 yards, but only fragments of the bullet remained. I'm not sure I would use it again. I think next time I will try with: Barnes 80gr TTSX, 85gr TSX, or a 90gr Accubond. I prefer a bullet that will exit and create a large blood trail.

As far as powders, I've been using H414/W760 and Ramshot Hunter. Both give great accuracy and velocity. While I like Varget in several calibers, it didn't come close to published or other powders velocity.

Arkansas Paul
February 11, 2013, 01:20 AM
buy 1 box of factory and be set for at least a couple of years

Ha. He doesn't know us very well does he? :)

fallout mike
February 11, 2013, 02:40 AM
No, I think not. Maybe buy one box of factory and be set for several minutes. My son likes shooting as much as me. He likes shooting several guns. His favorite is my ar. And he doesn't just shoot. After each shot he makes he feels the need to check the target with the spotting scope to see where he hit exactly. He is a very good shot. I got him started at 4.

fallout mike
February 11, 2013, 02:43 AM
Ssyoumans, im not sure about the barnes TTSX. I've loaded those in a few calibers and they are the pickiest bullets I've ever loaded. Just my experience anyway.

Kachok
February 11, 2013, 04:17 AM
I use SGKs in every caliber I load for, they shoot great and perform great on game, expand violently about 3" in and leave the largest exit wounds I have ever seen in person. Only one deer this year took a step and that was because of an accidental gut shot (my load but not my shooting) still only made it 20 yards.
In contrast my Ballistic Tips expand a little quicker, often times leaving visiable signs of expansion only 1-2" in (though the entry wounds can be very clean, even had one I could not find) and fragment the front portion of the bullet making a shotgun like effect through the vitals, leaving chunks of lead and jacket on the far side of the rib cage. The rear portion has one of the thickest jackets you will ever see, it does a great job keeping the rest of the bullet together and ensures adequate penetration, despite what you may read I have never had one completely blow up, even on close ranged shots from a 270 WSM pushing 3300fps! They do dump alot of energy so they don't exit with the authority of the SGK but the vitals are liquified from the shock and fragmentation so they rarely move after being hit.
Two slightly different approaches with the same result, quick clean kills.

tbob38
February 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
When I loaded commercially, I used mostly 105 gr Speer spitzer bullets for .243 and 6mm Rem. There were probably several hundred deer killed with them in Eastern Washington in those days (1982-1999).

kingmt
February 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
I took a 7pt buck this year with a 95gr SST over a stout load of Ramshot Hunter. The round blew up inside the deer and did its job, deer dropped within 15 yards, but only fragments of the bullet remained. I'm not sure I would use it again. I think next time I will try with: Barnes 80gr TTSX, 85gr TSX, or a 90gr Accubond. I prefer a bullet that will exit and create a large blood trail.

As far as powders, I've been using H414/W760 and Ramshot Hunter. Both give great accuracy and velocity. While I like Varget in several calibers, it didn't come close to published or other powders velocity.
Quit pushing them so hard. Your causing your own problems. The harder you push it the more it will expand & the less penetration you'll get.

ssyoumans
February 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
I ran the 95gr SST at 3,000 fps, which was 50fps over the Hornady Custom load ammo, but is 150fps less than factory Hornady Superformance loaded ammo. I may try them again and will back them down to 2850-2900 fps and see if that helps them hold together. I don't need top speed since typical deer is less than 60 yards away where I hunt.

ShortFatHokie
February 11, 2013, 01:18 PM
For .243, Ramshot Hunter, IMR or H4350, H4831, and Hybrid 100V plus any 90-100 grain pill makes fine deer medicine...

targetshooter22
February 11, 2013, 03:24 PM
Personally, I have had great success with 88-100 grains bullets and Varget, 4350, and Reloader 19 in various rifles and combinations. Seems to me that 243 is not fussy....

leeggen
February 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
lovly rifle and what a steel. I load 46gr 7828 with cci mag primer, 100 gr seiarre game king. Stay away from the fast burn powders they can cause barrel errosion at the chamber/rifling. That was the big complaint in early years of the 243. IMR 4350 or 7828 are great 243 powders, although others are great also.

Strongbad
February 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
I use 95 gr. SST's in both of my 243's. One uses H-4350 and the other IMR-7828. The SST's at a moderate velocity (carbine length barrels in both guns) dump whitetails on the spot. My 788 has killed 20+ in the last 6-7 years by my hand and everyone I've loaned the gun. None of them took a step.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!