Hard primers

PDA

jimbo555
February 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
With the difficulty finding 9mm ammo lately,I jumped on some sellier and bellot fmj. At my lgs.I had my first failures to fire with my ruger lc9. No problems with Remington federal or Winchester. Should I call Ruger?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hard primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skylerbone
February 10, 2013, 11:01 AM
There have been widespread reports of light strikes with the LC9 that Ruger has addressed to most people's satisfaction. Many owners have simply discontinued using certain brands of ammunition including S&B and Remington UMC. You'll need to decide where you stand on the issue.

jimbo555
February 10, 2013, 01:01 PM
Update: I fired the s&b ammo out of my fs m&p9,it all fired but the indentation on the primer was much less than normal and it shows signs of the metal burning around the dent. Fired 2 mags of federal fmj.thru the Ruger with no problem. Last night I did the pencil test on the ruger firing pin and it launches it about 4 feet. Not scientific but it tells me the firing pin is doing something.Although I think the problem is in the s&b ammo I will call Ruger on Monday,and see what they say.

Drail
February 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the LC9 needs a little more cowbell. Maybe Ruger's engineers did not include the hardness of certain primers (a lot of them actually) when they designed this gun. Or maybe they just thought that primers don't need to be THAT FREAKEENG HARD. I have been using nothing but Federal primers since the 80s, I can't imagine having to put up with hard primers that require a sledgehammer to set them off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hard primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!