Worst firearms deal you ever made?

PDA

gp911
February 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Seeing the "your best deal" threads had me thinking about the other side of the coin. I've been fortunate not to overpay, although I've definitely paid top dollar a few times when I could have done better. Anybody care to share stories where they didn't realize what they had or got the shaft from an unscrupulous seller?

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst firearms deal you ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Liberty1776
February 10, 2013, 12:29 PM
I've thought about this post a lot, and actually I've been very lucky - 40 years buying (and selling) and the only complain is a Winchester 69 .22 with a bad sear, but I only paid like $35 for it, so I guess I've had a great run. (I can't count the Century Arms L1A1 that was assembled in their drunk monkey shop, because they all were...)

ApacheCoTodd
February 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
A nearly new CZ99 for a case of Bacardi and two tires for a Volkswagen Golf.

Bringing it back to America was... problematic.

Arp32
February 10, 2013, 12:49 PM
First rifle I purchased was an Ishapore Enfield 7.62mm for I think about $100 in the late 90's. Except for shooting .22's at summer camp when I was a little kid, I was pretty ignorant when it came to firearms. I bought the Enfield thinking it would be a cheap, fun plinker.

Took it out to the desert and loaded 10 rounds of 7.62 in the magazine. Fired one shot and blew up a big pile of dirt. That was the last shot the rifle ever fired. The brass had expanded in the chamber and would not eject for anything. It took quite a bit of force later at home to get the spent round out.

Took it to a gunsmith who said it looked like the Pakistani's had put 50,000 rounds through that rifle and it would cost 2 or 3 times the value of the gun to put but in good working order. Cost me another $25 for him to look at it.

I ended up throwing it away.

About 7 years later I bought my second gun and first pistol, a brand new Colt 1911. I made out considerably better on that one.

MedWheeler
February 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
Two I sold years ago to pawn shops. Don't remember what I got for either the stainless PPK/S or the 659, but I'm sure it was pitiful.
As far as those I've purchased, I did have some regrets for a little while after paying $250 for a used Bersa Thunder 380 in 2008, when I started seeing them go for less than that afterward. But, I wouldn't necessarily say I got a bad deal, because I'm sure I could recoup that today.

Hanshi
February 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Aaaargh....Take your pick! :banghead:

Naybor
February 10, 2013, 04:22 PM
Probably a Cobra 9 MM Derringer I bought a few years ago.
It was nearly impossible to pull the trigger and when it did go off it about tore up the hand. Awful!

I bought it at full price and after about 10 shots traded it off.

I'm sticking to anything with "Ruger" on it.

Zardaia
February 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
Traded RRA LAR-15 a few weeks before current panic. Fair to so-so deal at the time, kicking myself now that relative value of what i traded has skyrocketed while what i got hasn't.

NosaMSirhC
February 10, 2013, 04:52 PM
Trading a H&K USP .40 Compact for a Springfield XD .45 plus cash my way. I have three other USP's.

Traded off the XD one week later toward my Glock 23 which ironically is my carry gun.

Making lemons out of lemonade.

This was 4 years ago and I will NEVER do another horse trade for a gun again.

Be Safe!

NosaM

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

primalmu
February 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
Trading a CZ75 Semi-compact in at a LGS toward an XD40. The XD was a great gun, I just wish I had sold the CZ outright rather than lose money on the trade...

swalton1943
February 10, 2013, 05:04 PM
bought a jennings .22 for $100. took it to my daughters' place; third shot it blew up in my hand. minor burns, but a piece of metal hit the center of my glasses lens. new glasses and loss of $100; bought the gun at a gunshow. no way to get a refund!!!!

velojym
February 10, 2013, 05:05 PM
Selling my Garand. I don't remember how much I got for it (been a while), but whatever the money went to wouldn't have held up like if I'd kept the rifle in the first place.

avs11054
February 10, 2013, 05:13 PM
As far as a monetary deal, I guess you could say the gun I just bought. It was a DPMS Tac-20. It was used, but it had some upgrades. I paid about $400 more than what is was worth during this current craze. I'd wanted that gun for a long time, and over-paying for it now was worth more to me than the slight chance that I might never be able to buy it again. Other than that, I bought a few guns a few years ago that I ended up selling about a year later. They were guns that I bought just to have, and I wish I had spent the money on something else now.

JRH6856
February 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
In spite of the known problems, I wanted a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 SPC. Then Ruger quit making them and I couldn't find one anywhere. I finally found a never fired one in December so I bought it and not at a bargain price. Then I got busy with the holidays and got sick with the flu and by the time I got well and felt like looking for ammo the panic was on and there was none to be had. And no brass, primers, or bullets. So I've got a gun that I haven't shot and probably won't be able to shoot for maybe a year.

Grassman
February 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
I over paid for a Winchester 94 Ranger a few years back, but I ended up selling it for what I had in it.

Speedgoat
February 10, 2013, 06:21 PM
Buying a CRPF Winchester.

OilyPablo
February 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 SPC. Then Ruger quit making them and I couldn't find one anywhere. I finally found a never fired one in December so I bought it and not at a bargain price. Then I got busy with the holidays and got sick with the flu and by the time I got well and felt like looking for ammo the panic was on and there was none to be had. And no brass, primers, or bullets. So I've got a gun that I haven't shot and probably won't be able to shoot for maybe a year.

They have some, but it goes fast: http://www.ssarmory.com/index.aspx

Worst deal? Nothing too nasty. I bought a Glock 20C, when I could have chosen a 20SF. Price was OK, though. My Colt Trooper III, the guy said it worked great but had some real issues. He out and out lied to me. Again the price was fine, I fixed it like new and was good experience for me. Maybe just recently - I started bidding on GB for a CZ-82, low bid, and then I figured I wouldn't win that one, so I bid on another.........long story short I ended up buying two CZ-82's. Just picked them up on Friday. I detail cleaned them both - they are both in great shape - and I only have two boxes of 9X18!

commygun
February 10, 2013, 06:55 PM
Noble 33 pump action .22. Bought it off some random dude at a gun show and it was seriously defective. There's no way the guy couldn't have known if he even tried to fire it once. I ended up chopping it. In 25 years of gun deals that's the only time I've been lied to.

Legionnaire
February 10, 2013, 07:03 PM
Never a bad deal on the purchase of a firearm ... at least to my recollection. Some I found I didn't like and eventually sold or traded off, but the purchase wasn't a "bad deal."

Selling is a different story. I sold a couple of guns that I later found had far higher market value than I thought. One example: sold a very nice Ruger SuperRedhawk with Leupold scope for less than the gun was worth alone. I was young(er) and less wise in those days ...

DC3-CVN-72
February 10, 2013, 08:25 PM
I paid full MSRP for a RUGER M/77-.357 MAG. When it was anounced I was first on the list. I'M glad I did. :)

wally
February 10, 2013, 09:24 PM
Buying a factory freash Chiappa 1911-22 Total POS out of the box. I had to pay to send it back for "warranty" repair -- came back if anything worse.

Finally a steel insert that is the striking face of the hammer went flying off into never-never land rending the pistol totally unable to fire.

Njal Thorgeirsson
February 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
Although its not the worst deal imaginable, especially in the current climate, I paid $700 for a Saiga 12 in 2011. I could probably sell it for that or more right now, but it is a really fun toy, and I am somewhat happy because I can still buy 12 gauge at wal-mart or nearly anywhere else, so I guess I'm one of the minority who can still shoot an evil black "assault weapon" all I want at a pre-panic price. Still, its a piece of stamped metal and unrefined plastic that could once be had for less than $300.

Deus Machina
February 10, 2013, 10:30 PM
Selling a Marlin 60 and a Maverick 88 20" and case for $125 together. It was literally sell right now or not pay the rent before they start telling me to hit the bricks.

stantheman1976
February 10, 2013, 10:37 PM
February of last year was the first time I've actually bough a gun. I owned several but they were all gifts over time or ones I inherited.

I had a few hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket and having seen recent news stories of random shootings in Mexican restaurants and Cracker Barrels I decided I was going to buy a small pistol and get my CFL.

So I went to a local pawn shop with the intent to buy a .380 without having actually done the research I should have. I ended up buying a used Taurus TCP 738 for $225 and a box of S&B ammo for $20. Then I looked at the Academy ads a couple days later and the Taurus was $199 new. So I didn't get ripped off THAT bad, but it did sting a little, especially after the Taurus couldn't shoot straight and had tons of FTE's. I ended up selling it pretty cheap with full disclosure of any issues.

I did learn from my mistake though. I applied for my CFL and while I waited I researched every choice out there and I also took the safety class required to get my MS Enhanced Carry endorsement. It took 45 days for my license to come in the mail and every one of those days I read intently and learned everything I could.

I ended up buying a Ruger SR9c and LC9. They both were reliable, priced well, and had safety features I was looking for. Some people don't like the thumb safeties and mag disconnect safeties but being a father it made sense to have as many safety features as possible.

The only issue I had was not buying the right belt and holster at first like I should have. I had to go through a few to find the right ones.

Ian
February 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
Actually, I'm really happy with the price I paid for this, but it is definitely the worst-condition gun I ever bought:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169847&stc=1&d=1344902894

pendennis
February 10, 2013, 11:57 PM
I bought a 4" nickel Python from a guy, as that model happened to be my "grail gun" at the time. Not knowing enough about revolver finishes, it turned out the revolver, which was blue to start with, had been nickeled to cover up some finish issues. A little later, I sent the revolver to Colt, and had it restored to its original Royal Blue finish, and had the stocks refurbished.

I still didn't have my "grail gun", but the refinish back to the original was worth it.

Last summer, I found a 4" nickel, which happened to be 450+ numbers apart in serial sequence. So, I guess things turned out all right.

This image is of the revolver as I bought it. You can see how the roll marks are very thin at the bottom, and the stocks have some issues.
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/ColtNickelPython4LFT.jpg

This image is of the revolver after sixteen weeks with Colt, and a stock refurbish by Hugh Clark, in Texas.
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/ColtPythonRefinish1973ModelLFT.jpg

This image is of the two revolvers together.
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/Pythons1973RefurbStksLft.jpg

Malamute
February 11, 2013, 12:30 AM
Worst gun deals I've ever made were in selling or trading off the 2 nickel Colt SAA's in 44 spl, the couple Buntline 45's, the several original Winchester 86's (a restored and rebored 45-70 with extra fancy wood, and a very nice full mag, shotgun butt 33), the couple Smith 27's I've had (a 5" and a 6 1/2"), the National Match Colt 45 auto with Colt Ace 22 kit, the 1917 made Colt 1911, and the first Smith 29 I had, a 6 1/2" nickel gun. Sort of miss the couple 3 screw Ruger 44's I've had also.

USAF_Vet
February 11, 2013, 12:36 AM
I've been pretty lucky in that I've only had one 'bad' deal. I overpaid for my Mav 88. But considering it was my first gun, I'll never sell it so it doesn't matter too much. The good deals I have scored more than make up for that one.

rugerdude
February 11, 2013, 12:56 AM
Just last week I bought a Walther P22 because I became fond of shooting my little Bersa .380. Well, two days later I found a Bersa in .22 so I immediately bought it.

I didn't pay a bad price at all for the Walther but I no longer had a use for it so I sold it for a quick $330. I lost money on it but I like to think of it in terms of me being glad to pay that much extra towards the Bersa .22.

mountainsco
February 11, 2013, 01:59 AM
15-20 years ago I traded a modern Colt 1911 for a .45 LC Ruger Vaquero revolver. I had buyer's remorse for a little while, but the trade was pretty much fair market value at the time. I've come to really like my stainless revolver that can shoot .44 mag level rounds and I can leave it in my tractor for 6 months between cleanings and not worry that it will rust.

I don't have a really bad trade story to tell.

Twiki357
February 11, 2013, 02:25 AM
I bought a 2006 Beretta Stampede Marshals model (3 1/2" bbl with the birdshead grip) in 357 mag about 2 years ago. I paid on the high side of a reasonable price. It shoots okay, but only with 38 special and once the hammer is cocked, it can't be lowered other than by firing the gun, not to cool when the RO calls a cease fire. That's when I found out that Beretta only warrants for one year and wanted $75 to "check it out" and give me an estimate on repairs. Now it collects dust and I'll never have another Beretta of any kind.

il.bill
February 11, 2013, 02:56 AM
I have overpaid for a handgun a time or two, but easily the worst deal was a S&W Model 10-8 4" police trade in I bought from Bud's Gun Shop in March 2012. It cost $280 delivered to my local FFL dealer. It was my first ever revolver and after spending hours cleaning, lubing, refinishing the stocks, and test firing with snap-caps I finally got a chance to shoot it at a family get together over the 4th of July. After firing about 40 rounds of Remington 158 grain LRN the cylinder locked up.
When my local gunsmith got it open we could see that the frame and barrel were split open at the bottom of the forcing cone. The smith explained it had to have had a hairline crack when I received it. After two weeks of trying to get someone from Bud's customer service to respond to my request for some consideration towards a replacement revolver I was told over the phone (after waiting on hold more than 55 minutes that call) that there was "nothing they could do" and that "I was on my own".

thorazine
February 11, 2013, 04:20 AM
Charles Daly ES (sometime in 2003) -- NIB.

The lightest touch would cause the factory blue to wipe away from the slide. =/

Unreliable.. etc..

bannockburn
February 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
Well if you want to count every Ruger Speed, Service, and Security Six that I sold or traded away, then I have quite a few really dumb gun deals that come to mind. The worst gun buy I did was on one of those budget finished Colt Agents that were around back in the mid to late '80's. Besides being as good looking as a mud fence the cylinder couldn't even make one full cycle without coming to a complete stop into the forcing cone of the barrel due to the whole crane assembly being poorly fited and slightly off center.

Arkansas Paul
February 11, 2013, 11:26 AM
I hate to even type this, but I once traded a 4" GP100 for a Winchester 1400 20-gauge.

:banghead:

fallout mike
February 11, 2013, 11:36 AM
Im that guy you guys made your worst firearm deal with.

gp911
February 11, 2013, 11:36 AM
Come to think of it, I did sell my DAO SP101 with a clipdraw & a couple speedloaders for around $350 in 2007. I still kinda smack my forehead over that one...

Noah
February 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
Was new to guns, knew nothing about brands and models, and had spent the whole day running around looking for a Bolt Action .22. At the last stop of the day, there was a Marlin .22 bolt action up on the rack. It looked decent, and was $120, so I bought it.

It was a Glenfield 20 from the '60's, with a sanded and then painted stock, some finish issues, a very loose front sight, rattly magazine, about a 15% FTFire rate, little rifling, 3" group at 35 yards benched, and worst, has this weird problem where whenever it has been dry fired to decock the gun, the firing pin sticks out, making it impossible to chamber the first round. So at the start of a shooting session, you have to load the first round into the chamber yourself, which is very difficult. To top it off, I've had the bolt come out twice when cycling it while shooting.

Took it in to try and sell it once, the shop owner said the most he could offer was $40. So I just gave it to my little brother.

Have to share this one though. At the beginning of December, my Uncle had a friend who was moving and had to sell all his guns fast. I got a single stack WASR-10 for $250. :what: :D :D :D Add $100+ of furniture, magazines, a muzzle brake, a few hours in my grandpa's workshop with a dremel, and many days anxiously awaiting the postman, I had a 7.62 AK with 4 30 round mags, nice poly furniture, an effective muzzle brake, and a case of ammo by the first week of December. Now all I can think is how insanely lucky I was. :D

rgwalt
February 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
I traded a single shot breach loading 20 gauge youth shotgun, worth maybe $100, for a Tanfoglio .380. I had to add $150 in cash... the Tanfoglio was worth maybe $175, and it had function issues with one of the safeties. Ended up selling the Tanfoglio for $100 because I didn't want to deal with it or look at it. So, I basically paid someone $50 to take the shotgun off my hands. DOH!!!

Other "bad" deals I've made were buying a DPMS AR-15 for 2x retail at the height of the craze. I ended up dressing it up, getting some extra mags and ammo, and selling it as a package deal. I made $100 on the deal, which is good, but more importantly I got someone to take my purchase mistake off my hands.

I also bought a used CX4 Storm in 9mm off a guy. It was fully dressed in all of the beretta accessories and included some extra magazines, but if I would have bought one new from Academy, I could have saved $200. However, it came set up to take 92FS magazines, which is a really tough configuration to find. I should have bought this gun 2-3 years ago when the prices were low and the guns were plentiful.

Lessons learned:
1) Have an idea of the value of what you are buying or trading into... don't do it spur of the moment.
2) Thoroughly check function on any and every gun BEFORE you buy it.
3) Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal, whether it be a purchase or a trade. Chances are you will have an opportunity to buy what you want at a later date.
4) In opposition to #3, if you know you want something that you have carefully considered and pondered for some time, and you have the opportunity and funds to buy it at a reasonable price, then do so with little hesitation.

KingMedicine
February 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
I found a pair of kimber royals at a pawn shop that had never been fired, for 450 each. I didn't know how good of a deal it was and ended up only buying 1. After 6 months, a fried offered me 550 for it and I took him up on it.

Yeah, stupid. It was my second actual gun, so I had alot of learning to do.

Chevelle SS
February 11, 2013, 12:21 PM
Selling a BPS 20ga youth model for $275

shotgunjoel
February 11, 2013, 12:40 PM
In 2010 I bought a refurbed 1954 Russian SKS, one of the ones with the rough baked-on finishes and a laminated stock. Paid $450 OTD. Oh well, I still like it.

Bianchi?
February 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
Bought a Remington 870 with Magpul furniture and a second barrel with rifle night sights for $500......kind of regret that one, but I always wanted an 870 and that one came across my path.

whitefeather
February 11, 2013, 01:35 PM
Been a collector for over 20 yrs now. Here are some of the best "deals" I've made:

S&W Mdl. 27-2 (.357 Mag 6" P&R'd) 98% condition: $75.00
(2) Delta Elite Stainless first edition (10mm) both in original cases:

whitefeather
February 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
Got both Delta Elites for $175/ea.

Marlin Mdl. 57M (lever action .22 mag ): $75.00
Winchester Mdl. 12, 16 ga. from 1940 : $100.00
S&W mdl. 15 P&R'd, 95%: $75.00

Colt SAA, early 2nd Gen.(1962), 7.5" bbl., .357mag: Traded to a guy for a new SA Loaded 1911 that cost me $500 back then. He said he "didn't like cowboy guns"....oh and it came in a nice Bianchi holster rig too.

Springfield Armory M1A Super Match from 1978: $1,200. Didn't know it was a Super Match at first. Emailed SA with the S/N and asked about out bolt because I couldn't ID the bolt by the numbers on it. They emailed back that 1) it's an early Super Match and, 2) I needed to send the barelled action in to them so they could replace the bolt since it was under an old recall. A month after I sent it in, the guy who runs the custom shop calls me to to tell me that they are replacing the bolt with a USGI (Winchester) bolt (YEA!) but that they couldn't get it to head space with the original barrel. So I ask "how much is that going to cost?" and he says 'nothing, it's covered under warranty". He also said that they needed to re-parkerize the whole gun (again, under warranty and no charge to me). So essentially, I end up with a "new" Super Match for $1,200!

These are just a few of my "good deals". Of course, my wife NEVER beleives me when I tell her I got a "dood deal".

whitefeather
February 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
I meant to put the aove in "The Best Deals" thread. Sorry!

WardenWolf
February 11, 2013, 03:32 PM
My PSL. I paid something like $850 to $900 for it when I got it several years ago. A few months later they could be had for like $650 as supply opened up. :cuss:

I usually get good deals on firearms. I'm rather notorious for finding deals to be envied of, and hitting up auction sellers after failed auctions and negotiating for a lower price (I once negotiated a $350 reserve down to $250). The PSL was the first rifle I bought myself, though. I'm glad I have it, but I paid too much.

Second on the list might be my Golani. I don't consider it a bad deal for a rifle. The $550 spent definitely got first-class build quality. The problem, though, is it's just too heavy and can't accept a scope. I'm now faced with having a gunsmith work it over to lighten it and attach an AK scope rail. So while the initial deal wasn't bad, and I don't want to sell it because it's so nice, I'm still faced with a lot of money to make it the way I want it. I wish I'd bought a VEPR.

josiewales
February 11, 2013, 03:39 PM
I traded a really good cond. Savage 111 in .243 with a 3-9-40 scope on it for a Hoppes Ethan Allen pepperbox. Before I could fire the pepperbox once the mainspring and the trigger spring broke, and I can not find parts for it anywhere. I'm wishing I would have kept the .243.

Isaac-1
February 11, 2013, 03:56 PM
My worst one was buying an EAA Witness in 40S&W for $115, gun looked in great, near new condition, but has persistent failure to feed issues, have spent over $150 having a well known pistol smith that specialized in CZ platform work on it, he was able to improve trigger pull (felt like course sand paper originally), but he was only able to partly solve the feed issue. I would never trust it for self defense use.

Trent
February 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
Worst gun deal I've ever done?

I sold 25 stripped Rock River AR receivers in August.

For $115 each.

:(

Trent
February 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
My PSL. I paid something like $850 to $900 for it when I got it several years ago. A few months later they could be had for like $650 as supply opened up. :cuss:

Had a similar situation on my Yugo M76 8mm rifle. I remember them costing about $1800 or so when they first came out. I found serial #2 (!!!) in a pawn shop and picked it up for $1500 or so (can't remember exactly, it wasn't cheap.)

Shortly after that they dropped down to the $800-900 range. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

They still haven't got back up in price. No bids on this one at 1K, despite all the craziness going on.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329232951

I will say it took SOME work to get mine functional at 99% and I still have a couple of glitches (It was EARLY production run, before they'd ironed out a couple of things that I fixed on my own.)

But it's a GREAT shooting rifle that'll easily hit a torso target at 300 yards... with some attitude.

So I'm down a little in value, but man that rifle is fun.

No regrets, really.

Trent
February 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
Oh, one other.

Don't even get me started on FN-AR.

When I bought mine it was over $1500 at dealer cost (was still an FFL). (I bought two)

Price dropped down to the $800-900 range.

I can't understand it, really, I mean, that rifle sets the bar for accuracy in a semi-auto. I'd take the one I shoot up against an H&K PSG-1 any day of the week.

dirtykid
February 11, 2013, 04:07 PM
For some stupid reason in the early-90's I sold my brother-in-law my nickel-plated
S&W 686, 6" brl with pachmayr grips for $250

He's only fired it once since then,

But will not sell it back to me at even 2X what I GAVE it to him for !!

Orion8472
February 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
I may have one to top all of the posts so far.

I had a Mossberg 500 12ga shotgun that had a pistol grip and side saddle shell holder. I traded it for. . . . . .

. . . mind you, I was completely ignorant of what the guy had, and in my lack of education and youth, . . . .

. . . traded it for a 1-4x24 Countersniper scope.

Let the ribbing commence.

Larry Ashcraft
February 11, 2013, 05:52 PM
My first centerfire handgun was a nickle plated Colt Viper I bought at a pawn shop for $160. The bad part of the deal was I let it get away from me in some dumb trade I don't even remember.

I didn't know the Viper was a one year only deal.

OilyPablo
February 11, 2013, 09:15 PM
Worst gun deal I've ever done?

I sold 25 stripped Rock River AR receivers in August.

For $115 each.

winner

sweet betsys ike
February 11, 2013, 11:48 PM
My worse is a Smith&Wesson 1911 E series. Bought from Buds guns 5-10-12 When I first got it, shot so high and left wouldn't hit the target. Sent it to S&W Got it back after 3 weeks sill shot high and left, took it apart to clean it and the link pin fell out. Sent it back again still shoots left and it came back with a ding on the trigger guard. Love my old S&W's , But I Won't buy a other new one!

silicosys4
February 11, 2013, 11:54 PM
win some, lose some
pawnshop find, springfield m6 scout. Bought for $100, sold for $150. Thought I was awesome for making 50% profits, till I found out why the guy was so willing to pay $150 for it.
Ouch.

I don't really have any regrets about anything I've bought. I buy used, and look for deals. Anything I haven't liked I've traded away for more in trade value than I paid.

Coop45
February 12, 2013, 12:02 AM
All of my bad deals involves stuff I've regretted selling.

Trent
February 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
winner

Dude, anything but.

10 or 20 years from now I'll STILL be kicking myself in the ass.

WardenWolf
February 13, 2013, 09:11 PM
Had a similar situation on my Yugo M76 8mm rifle. I remember them costing about $1800 or so when they first came out. I found serial #2 (!!!) in a pawn shop and picked it up for $1500 or so (can't remember exactly, it wasn't cheap.)

Shortly after that they dropped down to the $800-900 range. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

They still haven't got back up in price. No bids on this one at 1K, despite all the craziness going on.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329232951

I will say it took SOME work to get mine functional at 99% and I still have a couple of glitches (It was EARLY production run, before they'd ironed out a couple of things that I fixed on my own.)

But it's a GREAT shooting rifle that'll easily hit a torso target at 300 yards... with some attitude.

So I'm down a little in value, but man that rifle is fun.

No regrets, really.
I got fortunate. The only problems I ever had with my PSL was due to weld pits under the magazine's feed lips. The cartridge rim was getting caught in them and not feeding properly. I filed those down and it's been 100% ever since. I made sure the second mag I purchased for it did not have pits as bad as my original.

Robbins290
February 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
Traded a mint, clean mustang plus 2 for a used glock 22. :-(

ToraBoraBlues
February 13, 2013, 09:37 PM
Selling a Mauser, Savage 30-06, and a CZ P07 to a scumbag gunshop. I know they have to make a profit but I should've used armslist or gunbroker, or even traded them at one of the more upstanding shops in town

ChCx2744
February 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
I sold a very good quality AR with an aftermarket sling, grip, 6 Pmags, a tactical rifle case and 100 rounds of ammo for $1,000 in 2011, a nice pump shotgun for $200 and a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical for $550 back in 2009. I kick myself in the head every time I think about it...:mad:

dfsixstring
February 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
I'd say the worst firearm deal this country has made is Obama, hands down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jmace57
February 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
I have bought quite a few guns from on-line auctions (not like Gunbroker), but regular on-line auctions that happen to have firearms. I have made mostly great deals, but I read the description tag on one claiming it as a S&W 32/22 Kitgun...and believed it without really doing any research. (It was one of my first on-line purchases). While I didn't pay a lot of money for it, it turned out to be a refinished much-more-common firearm. I kept it...and still shoot it, but really keep it as a reminder to myself to do due diligence in the future.

OptimusPrime
February 13, 2013, 10:23 PM
Several years ago a Colt Officer's Model in .22 fell into my lap for $150. I sold it for $200 and thought that I was quite the deal maker. Why are we so dumb when we're young?

Lethal Threat
February 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
Bought a Diamondback DB9. Norinco in diguise.

guyfromohio
February 13, 2013, 11:24 PM
Bought a beretta 84f the other day. Paid $400. Picked up and had one mecgar magazine, little finish left and will not stay locked open as there is to much wear in the slot where the slide catch goes up. I'll shoot it this week to see how it shoots, but I'm kicking myself right now.

When I was a younger guy, I traded a perfectly good model 36 smith fit a Russian SKS which proceeded to break first time out.

Trent
February 14, 2013, 11:14 AM
guyfromohio;

Most people don't realize this, but MANY autoloading handguns are NOT supposed to have the slide released by the slide stop lever. Glocks, I know, are designed for it, but 1911's and other handguns need to have the magazine inserted, and the slide manually brought back and released.

Otherwise the slide stop recess in the slide will get rounded off, and eventually, will no longer function, as you found on that used piece you purchased. The ONLY solution for those is, unfortunately, a new slide. Which is costly.

soonerfan85
February 14, 2013, 01:26 PM
ONLY used gun I ever bought without test firing turned out to be a turd. My brother had been looking for a 410 ga pump shotgun to wage war on the skunks on his farm. Nothing worse than missing or wounding a skunk with a single shot 410. :eek: Anyway, saw an ad for an old Stevens pump and drove a hour to buy it. Got to shooting the you know what with the seller and based on the looks of the gun I paid him $200 and didn't load and cycle or test fire it. A few days later I took it to the range and upon loading it found because it was missing the primary cartridge stop shells won't stay in the magazine. Gunsmith told me the cartridge stop on these old shotguns are the one part that wore out and replacements are as rare as hen's teeth.

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst firearms deal you ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!