Mounting Ching sling to Remington 700 trigger guard screw

PDA

Barbs
February 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
-Just bought a 2001 Remington 700 BDL DM chambered in 7mm RM.
-Want to put a Ching sling from Andy Langlois on it but don't want to drill the walnut stock for the third stud.
-Looking into using the front trigger guard screw (1/4-28 x 1 1/4) to mount the third swivel.

I was thinking about welding a sling swivel stud to the guard screw or buying a product that was already up for the task. Has anyone heard of this being done in any way or know of a product for the job?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting Ching sling to Remington 700 trigger guard screw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barbs
February 11, 2013, 07:21 PM
bump

rcmodel
February 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
Well, I started to respond the other day.
But didn't.

IMO: If you want a Ching Sling, and want it to work like it's supposed too work??

You need to drill the stock for flush swivel bases, and install it like it's supposed to be installed.

Putting a sling swivel on the front action screw raises all kinds of challenges as to torquing it properly and keeping it there.
As well as putting an exposed sling swivel mount in a place that will tear your hand up due to recoil if you have your hand there.

Either drill the stock for proper Ching Swivel flush mounts with the sling mounting points flush with the stock and out of the way and not interfering with action screw tightening, and possible hand damage under recoil?

Or use a conventional sling with conventional exposed swivel mount studs.

Thats my story, and I'm sticking too it!

rc

Barbs
February 11, 2013, 08:32 PM
thank you for the reply! i hadnt thought of doing a flush mount. maybe that would solve my concern with the 7mmRM recoil pulling the wood-screw-stud out. hopefully the ching sling concept works well with a larger, longer rifle such as my BDL.

rcmodel
February 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
Front sling swivel studs are not wood screws.

Rear swivel studs are wood screws.

Front swivel studs are machine screws installed with a blind nut inleted inside the barrel channel.
There is no possible way they can pull out without breaking the stock first.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/366960/uncle-mikes-sling-swivel-stud-115-b-set?cm_vc=OBv11398331116

rc

Barbs
February 12, 2013, 11:57 AM
thank you once again. i ordered my sling from andy and will heed your advice.

langloisandy
February 13, 2013, 06:23 AM
Barbs, making your sling this morning! Expect a package SOON!

Andy

Barbs
February 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
hows that for customer service? :) thanks man.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting Ching sling to Remington 700 trigger guard screw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!