Ruger old army grips


February 10, 2013, 02:11 PM
Hi guys from a newbie to your site. Can anyone help me find or know of a pair of original wood grips for my old army revolver?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger old army grips" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
Try the Ruger parts department.
Grip Panels - Sold in Pairs Only - Part# XR01000

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)
Telephone: 603-865-2442

Otherwise, you will be looking for a grip commonly known as the XR3-RED which fits the old original Vaquero, the current new model Blackhawk, the current super Blackhawk with 5.5" and shorter barrels and single-six WITHOUT INTERNAL LOCK.


February 11, 2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks. Are any parts still available thru Ruger for these pistols? Bear with me, I'am new to black powder. Pistol was given to me by a friends mom after he died, a real rust bucket but I have cleaned it up and it looks great for its age. Had it checked at bass pro and it came out with good to go except it could use some new nipples they said. Has a serial no. dated in 1973 by the charts I have found on web. Its grips were replaced with rubber ones, myself I'am a wood and varnish guy. I own many Ruger pistols but this is my first black powder. I've been told this pistol is very accurate, is that so? All of my rugers are what I call magnums from a 1964 blackhawk in .44 to a new mdl. super blackhawk in .44 and a lot between. These pistols are mainly used for long distance shooting and hunting. Is this ROA as good as they say for this type of use and if so what powders do you think I should use. Thanks for any help you can give me.

highlander 5
February 11, 2013, 11:54 AM
The ROA is a pretty stout pistol and will take any reasonable BP load that you might wish to use. I have a ROA stainless and my buddy and I can hit gallon jugs at 100 yards no problem. The "weak" point of the ROA is the ram,as sturdy as it is you can bend it.
There are after market rams that you can get to replace it with but I find the loader from Dick Dasterdly works very well and it's heavy duty so you'll be hard pressed to break it.
You can buy spare BP cylinders from Classic Ballistix that have the chamber cut deeper and the over all cylinder dia is a little larger and they are a drop in fit all you'll need is nipples. Can be had in SS or blue they cost about $200.
I use a standard .457 round ball under 40 gr tripple 7 3 F and a No 11 cap.

February 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks guy, will check into cylinder and nipples. I,ve located some grips like I want, kind of pricey but so be it. It sounds like these pistols are evewry bit as aqccurate as my Blackhawks. A gallon jug at 100 yds, whow. What kind of sites are you using? That front blade is awful big for long range shooting. Once again thanks for help, have a great deay and stay safe.

February 12, 2013, 03:42 PM
Download the Old Army Manual from Ruger:

Serial number history:

One of the best forum threads ever:

You should be able to find Ruger factory grips for Old Model Blackhawks and Vaqueros at a gun show.

Old Army parts are scarce to non-existent. Treso/Ampco nipples work great as replacement nipples:

The newer Slix-Shot Nipples are also being praised by many:

Others have cautioned you well. Make sure the base pin is locked into place solidly before seating a ball or you will bend it.

Enjoy the finest cap and ball revolver ever made.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger old army grips" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!