Home from range with new gun

PDA

PaisteMage
February 10, 2013, 04:43 PM
So I just got through shooting my new revolver.

Gp100 w/6 inch barrel.

I shot 150 thirty-eights through it and 100 three-fifty-sevens...

I love this gun.

Shooting thirty eights is a breeze. I was using 158 grain .357.

I pulled out my Kahr 9mm after shooting 125 revolver rounds. It just felt broke to me. I know my Kahr is reliable and only 3 failures to fire in over 1500 rounds, in a years time.

I am seriously considering selling/trading the Kahr for a J frame or event he LCR.

I also fired 44 magnum and 45/70 for the first time today. My friend recently acquired a Walther PPK, and that was my 3rd .380 I ever shot, and my favorite.

Smith model 29 w/4 inch barrel was very nice. The trigger....

IN a non revolver note my friend has a breaktop , single shot, 45/70 rifle. Seriously my favorite rifle I have ever shot. Twenty two's don't count since I automatically like anything 22.

All around great day. Shot new calibers, my new gun, my friends new gun. I can't wait to share this with my two sons when they get older.

You all may have seen this picture in the revolver of all time thread.

Obviously before I shot the .357 I took this picture.

Any people with the J fram/LCR conundrum?

If you enjoyed reading about "Home from range with new gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sergei Mosin
February 10, 2013, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a great day!

My GP100 is a 4-inch model, but .38 Specials feel like .22 rounds in that thing. Just a great gun.

On the J-frame/LCR conundrum - I've been contemplating a pocket revolver too. I like the older Colts for the extra round, but they're not easy to find around here. I'm reluctant to buy a used revolver sight unseen, and especially a Colt - I'm a bit gunshy because of their reputation for going out of time and being difficult to find a gunsmith who knows how to work on them. So the Colts, unfortunately, are probably out.

So back to the J-frame or LCR - personally I favor the LCR. Better trigger, no lock, and more attractive (to my eyes - I realize I am in a minority here!) My next wheelgun is likely to be an LCR. Of course, I've been keeping an eye out for a nice older K-frame too...

rchery59
February 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'll agree 100% on the LCR trigger being being great, but I don't believe a lightweight revolver is the way to go for some one who wants to shoot A LOT of rounds. I don't think they will hold up like an all steel revolver.
SP101 or an all steel smith is the way to go.

Double Vision
February 10, 2013, 08:33 PM
Congratulations!

My son & I took his new-to-him GP 100 to the range today and put 50 rounds of .38 spl through it. It's a beauty, nice crisp trigger, and very accurate.

Good luck with yours!

BYJO4
February 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
Congrats on having a great day.

content
February 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Those 6" barrels really soak up the .357 recoil, a pleasure to shoot.

I'm sure your sons will appreciate shooting the Ruger too.

Enjoy the search!

adelbridge
February 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
I had the same gun bought back in the 90's. It would shoot poker chip groups at 30 yards all day with any ammo. I really miss that gun more than any other gun I let go through the years. Not the Cadillac of revolvers but accuracy value and durability cannot be touched by any other brand or model.

Stress_Test
February 10, 2013, 10:36 PM
I've got both a 6" GP100 and an LCR (357). Great combo for the range. Standard pressure 38s are easy shooting in the LCR. I don't bother shooting 38s in the GP100 because it soaks up the recoil so well from factory 357s. Shooting 357 from the LCR is definitely an eye-opener. I usually only shoot about 2 cylinders before switching back to the 38s in that gun.

Unfortunately the LCR does have an internal lock. Thank you meddling lawyers and nanny do-gooder politicians!! :cuss:

Sergei Mosin
February 10, 2013, 10:41 PM
For some reason I thought the LCR didn't have a lock. Oh well, it wouldn't be the only lock-equipped gun I own.

soloban
February 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
Another 6" GP100 owner here. .38's feel like .22LR's in that thing. It's fun to shoot a couple cylinders of .38's to get things warmed up and then switch to .357's and watch the heads turn after the first round.

jc650
February 11, 2013, 02:08 AM
Just picked up a SS GP100 6". What a blast at the range! Literally with the .357's. It was eating up the 38's like candy I could have shot those all day. I also have a Smith MP340 I used for CC. I love that gun too but I dont ususally shoot more than 40 or so rounds at a time. I dont really do the .357's with the lightweight Smith though. I think the small frame wheel guns are the best for CC. Im comfortable with 5 rounds of .38+p's.

Akita1
February 11, 2013, 03:05 PM
+1; just picked up the GP100 4" stainless last week (been looking for one for months due to the craziness). Also shot .357 first, then .38 and had the same experience. I switched to the GP from a Speed Six .357 3" - candidly didn't like how it seemed to shoot low (and the S6 rear sight isn't adjustable like it is on the GP). Will probably sell the S6 now after such a great GP experience.

PaisteMage
February 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
Just to clarify.

Considering the J frame or LCR for CCW only, the GP is my range toy.

Am I bit by the revolver bug?

silicosys4
February 11, 2013, 03:13 PM
I would caution against making the assumptions that a revolver can never fail. They can and do, and the problem with revolvers, is when they do fail they usually need a gunsmith and parts to repair, or time and disassembly to fix.
Its a lot easier to deal with a FTF or FTE and get back in the fight, than it is to deal with a cylinder that's locked up to the point you can't open it. If you open most revolvers and look, that's a lot of little parts to break or wear out.

PaisteMage
February 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
I know that.
I definately could see a revolver failure being very bad.
Also getting a .38 revolver saves on reloading supplies since I wont have to order all the 9mm stuff as well.

robowo
February 12, 2013, 12:03 AM
I have 3 GP-100's now. Just picked up my newest with the 4" barrel this past week. Just finished a trigger job on it this evening and also installed the Williams FireSights on it. Now looking forward to shooting it this weekend. I also have a 6" version with the FireSights and another 6" version with a 2-6 power scope on it. I routinely shoot at steel targets at 50, 100 and 150 yards and they are very accurate. At 25 and 50 yards I often shoot at poker chips. They make excellent targets which I also shoot at with my 22 revolvers.

Surprisingly, my wife loves shooting these too, even with heavy loads. She finds that she holds the heavier revolvers steadier. She is as excited as I am to shoot the new addition this weekend.

Hammerdown77
February 12, 2013, 11:51 AM
Perfect gun for a long day of shooting 357. Congrats!

Try putting a scope on it and stretching its legs at 100 yards or more. You'll be surprised, I think.

PaisteMage
February 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
I actually thought of routinely shooting the revolver at 100 yds.

It obviously will do less than that with no problem.

Test my limits kind of thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home from range with new gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!