Sonic weapon deployed in Iraq

PDA

tiberius
March 10, 2004, 07:54 AM
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I find it interesting.

The Pentagon's Secret Scream: Sonic devices that can inflict pain--or even permanent deafness—are being deployed.

see story in link below:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.3301371.1078866848&prod=35072&modele=feature

How long before the local police/feds start using this domestically?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sonic weapon deployed in Iraq" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
March 10, 2004, 11:49 AM
They've had these for years. They're called "Rock Concerts" :rolleyes:.

Redlg155
March 10, 2004, 12:27 PM
Rosie Odonnel singing "Achey Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus:D

Good Shooting
Red

Atticus
March 10, 2004, 04:30 PM
Sounds like a good tool for hostage situations.

AJ Dual
March 10, 2004, 05:54 PM
Sounds like this is the high frequency version.

Last I heard of sonic crowd control it was supposed to use infrasound of a very long wavelength that would shake up the bowels in a most uncomfortable fashion.

Sort of like in grade school, when "greasy pizza day" in the cafeteria synched up with "trampolene day" in gym class with most unfortunate results.

Leatherneck
March 10, 2004, 06:02 PM
Oh, yeah. These things are serious. Some can cause lethal effects if used too close or @ too-high power. They can make you puke, wilt, collapse, scream, burn or die. Lots of techniques including sonic, odor, directed energy (visual, IR, MMW, UV). Look up the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate at Quantico.

My problem is in the employment: because they're potentially lethal (small probability, but not zero), wouldn't it be wiser to employ nothing until the threshold-we-all-worry-about is breached and then just shoot the SOB? What's a soldier to do if the non-lethal weapon doesn't stop the attack? Change modes and draw down? Seems to me using a non-lethal weapon compromises one's ability to react with lethal force when necessary.

Waddya think?

TC
TFL Survivor

The_Antibubba
March 12, 2004, 02:38 AM
They'll call it "The Song of the Great Satan". :evil:

swingset
March 12, 2004, 03:33 AM
I was at the NAMM (natl assoc of music merchants) show several years ago when a subwoofer manufacturer was pushing some massive 24" subs, in loaded horns no less, down in the 5-10hz range very loud. Obviously, that's below human hearing, but they were demonstrating by making people's clothes move, hair shake, etc. Pretty impressive till the hotel lobby, which was above the showroom floor, had a sudden wave of naseous guests, a couple of whom lost their cookies on the spot.

Eerie what sound can do.

only1asterisk
March 12, 2004, 05:16 AM
!The article is straight from the LA times and is standard crapola. It might effect innocent people and make people that throw rocks angry. I think it effect "innocent" people much less than a bullet and I don't give a ******** if it makes people angry. Will they be less angry if you shot at them?

The following should be pretty close to what a conversation would sound like.

Newspaper Idiot: It might cause people pain!
Me: I hope so!
Newspaper Idiot: But... But, hurting people is wrong!
Me: Hurting people is only wrong when you don't have good reason!
Newspaper Idiot: Bush's reason for...
Me: Not the issue here. People in mobs throwing rocks should not be allowed to hurt people. Hurting people is wrong you said.
Newspaper Idiot: It is..
Me: So we should stop them. If we shoot them they will stop.
Newspaper Idiot: YOU CAN'T SHOOT THEM JUST FOR THROWING ROCKS!
Me: So we should stop them with out shooting them?
Newspaper Idiot: YES!
Me: Good, I'm happy you agree with me. Bye!

David

grnzbra
March 12, 2004, 10:12 AM
The article mentioned concern about human rights violations. Well, we can't have that. The US must withdraw these horrible weapons of human rights violations and just shoot the suckers.

cordex
March 12, 2004, 10:22 AM
Rosie Odonnel singing "Achey Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus
Sounds like a good tool for hostage situations.
What?!? Even if the Tangos dropped their weapons and surrendered, the hostages would be likely to grab the guns and commit suicide before they could be released!

MMcCall
March 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
Last I heard of sonic crowd control it was supposed to use infrasound of a very long wavelength that would shake up the bowels in a most uncomfortable fashion.

Also known as the elusive "brown noise" :D

Navy joe
March 12, 2004, 02:09 PM
Oh great, it's the MK1 Mod 0 Mother-in-Law.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sonic weapon deployed in Iraq" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!