Pithy (if not slightly content-free) argument against background checks/registration

PDA

Justin
February 10, 2013, 05:51 PM
When arguing against mandatory background checks or registration schemes, I've hit upon a one-line argument that's bound to get some attention:

"I'll support mandatory background checks/registration just as soon as you/the Democrats come out in support of making it mandatory that you show a valid ID before voting."

I'm not sure if this one will win any hearts and minds, but it will definitely get attention.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pithy (if not slightly content-free) argument against background checks/registration" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beatledog7
February 10, 2013, 06:21 PM
Justin, it makes perfect sense, which is why (shhh, I didn't say Democrats) won't like it.

You realize of course that the requirement to show ID to buy a gun, let alone all the other hooey we go through, is prejudicial to those who don't hold IDs, right?

Madness! all is Madness!

J-Bar
February 10, 2013, 06:42 PM
I like it.

I'm gonna use it, too!

riverdog
February 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Looks like a new sig line... :)

dab102999
February 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
Does it matter if we keep giving illegals drivers license??

Jim K
February 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
But it isn't the same thing. Some people simply do not understand the voting process. It is not about choosing officials, it is about allowing the people to express their enthusiasm and love for the benevolent rule of our natural superiors.

But if guns were available, some stupid and foolish people might actually believe that democracy nonsense and do something dumb, like try to overthrow the Masters and reinstate the obsolete and ridiculous Constitution, which the Masters long ago consigned to the trash. Understand, now?

Hail to Obama! Hail to our Lord and Master! May the Heavens ring with the sound of His Holy Name, and the angels sing His praises forever!

JIm

Old Fuff
February 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
Do I detect some sarcasm?

berettaprofessor
February 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
I'm afraid to use it for fear they'll agree.

76shuvlinoff
February 10, 2013, 07:57 PM
Make it,

You must have drawn a paycheck where the income was taxed by the US gov't to vote.

Solo
February 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
I'm afraid to use it for fear they'll agree.
If they do, suggest that the Voter ID should cost $10 to offset the expenses incurred in implementing said process. And that it should require a basic English proficiency test. :evil:

2ifbyC
February 10, 2013, 09:12 PM
Make it,

You must have drawn a paycheck where the income was taxed by the US gov't to vote.

+1 but this alone would eliminate 47% of the vote.:uhoh:

Solo
February 10, 2013, 09:23 PM
Including old people, graduate students and military personnel deployed in active combat zones.

junyo
February 10, 2013, 09:48 PM
"I'll support mandatory background checks/registration just as soon as you/the Democrats come out in support of making it mandatory that you show a valid ID before voting."

I'm not sure if this one will win any hearts and minds, but it will definitely get attention.
Predictable emotional response -
"But voting doesn't kill children!"

So as a follow up - "Tell that to families in Pakistan. (http://dawn.com/2012/12/19/no-obama-tears-for-children-killed-by-drones-in-pakistan/)"

USAF_Vet
February 11, 2013, 01:21 AM
I'll support universal back ground checks and registration when you agree to submitting to a background check and registration before going to church. When you are a federally registered Christian (or Catholic, Jew, Muslim, Atheist, etc), then I will consider registering my guns. When you require a background check to buy a Bible or other religious literature, I'll submit to a back ground check to buy a gun.

Deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pithy (if not slightly content-free) argument against background checks/registration" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!