CD4D primer swage kit

PDA

choppinlow
February 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
I have seen quite a few people here praise this system. I thought I would give it a try because I do not exactly love the RCBS set I use. I played with some FC 223 today and I either don't get a good open primer pocket or I push the case up and out of the shell holder. Even the in-between seems like too much pressure on the case rim and is clearly damaging it. I used both Lee and RCBS shell holders but I did not try any different brass. Can any of you guys who speak so highly of the system offer me some advice? I could see how it would be nice to use, but I need a good primer pocket and an undamaged rim in the end. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "CD4D primer swage kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ken70
February 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
Why not just a 90 degree countersink and a cordless screwdriver/drill motor? Maybe $5 for the countersink, I would hope you already have some kind of cordless tool. Pick up the brass, touch it to the countersink for a count of "one thousand one", it's done. Some pinhead somewhere, somehow, held it until he drilled thru the primer pocket. You'll see a lot of that claim, no control over depth. Some mechanical sensitivity is all you need. Just get rid of the crimp, you're not drilling to China...

This is where the "swagger" lovers will carry on about all the theoretical advantages of buying a $130 Dillion. Your money....

choppinlow
February 11, 2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks Ken. I am aware of the various methods and have plenty of equipment. My question is about properly using the equipment I have. I don't appear to be using this new swage kit correctly and I was looking for advice on what I may be doing wrong.

Does everyone with this CH4D kit have this problem?

mdemetz
February 11, 2013, 08:13 AM
In the instructions it says the tool is just to remove the crimp, not reform the pocket.
Do not adjust to deep or you will bend rims. You'll probably have to readjust for different headstamps.
You will not completely remove the ring around the pocket edge, but enough will be fromed for the primer to start.
On stab type crimps, it may drag the tips down the sides of the pockets. Someone suggested polishing the swage tip.

kingmt
February 11, 2013, 10:34 AM
Just enough to feel a little pop past the crimp. Don't let it bottom out in the pocket.

choppinlow
February 11, 2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Yes, I was just looking to open the crimp. Couldn't seem to do that without rim damage. I would be happy with the slight forming of the pocket.

dragon813gt
February 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
Follow the instructions exactly. They tell you the height that the swage tip is supposed to come above the shell holder. It takes next to no pressure for it to work.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

119er
February 11, 2013, 10:55 PM
I adjust mine so that the press (Hornady LNL Classic) just barely cams or "pops" over. There is no visibly distinguishable difference in the way the crimp looks. If you are bending the rims you are going too deep. The swage should not enter the pocket. The taper just kisses the crimp. I've done my 5.56 and 7.62 in this manner with nor real problems. Out of a thousand I may have to pull one out of the progressive and use a chamfer tool on stubborn crimps. I go for the minimum swage that gets the job done.

BTW I'm glad I didn't buy the Dillon. There is no stud or pivotingarms to deal with. I just hold the press handle about level with my waist and drop it several inches for each case. Too easy.

Edit: Mine didn't come with instructions! I had to search here to get it dialed in.

Ken70
February 12, 2013, 02:01 AM
OP, I was looking at that tool a couple of years ago. Checked the internet and found the same kind of complaints you have. It's the nature of the beast to be a b*tch. You have to sort your brass, adjust the die for each one. Much easier to use the countersink.

FWest
February 12, 2013, 07:27 AM
Get a good shell holder and hold the brass all the way in with one hand and pull handle. I've had my CH4D for a couple of years and it works fine if adjusted properly.

kingmt
February 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
I don't think mine came with institutions ether. To swage it would have to inter the pocket if it didn't it'd be called flare. So far I've never sorted headstamps & never had a problem. I'm sure there has been several hundred thousand 9mm through my swage.

choppinlow
February 12, 2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks again. These are helpful tips I will try next time. I was trying with only 1 headstamp. Unfortunately, I did not receive any instructions with mine either, so I felt that it was likely operator error.

dragon813gt
February 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/Reloading/C32B3F1F-1D6B-40B5-91E8-845313734919-3321-000002E523FB5855.jpg

I have them in PDF form if anyone wants a copy.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 05:05 PM
One thing I learned from the RC is to spritz/lube thy primer pockets prior to swaging. Why didn't I think of that? I just cut though now.. with a tiny sheepsfoot blade. Granted all other advice here seems.. advisable.

Searcher4851
February 12, 2013, 05:30 PM
Don't feel bad. I didn't get directions with mine either. I just had to figure it out myself. It sure does work nice though.

ldlfh7
February 12, 2013, 05:47 PM
RCBS has a video on their website explaining how to use the swager tool if you do not understand the instructions provided. I use it on lc brass with great results.

choppinlow
February 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks again gentlemen on the info. Dragon, many thanks for posting that and your offer for the PDF. I will take you up on that if you do not mind. I will send you a message shortly. Yes, I do use light lube when I swage. I have been accused of being foolish for doing that but it works for me with no issues to date :-). ldlfh7, I have no problems using my RCBS set really. Don't exactly love using it with 223, but I do like the final results. I am just trying new equipment and looking for alternative options.

kingmt
February 13, 2013, 09:06 AM
I bent the rim on my first one also. ; )

Captaingyro
February 13, 2013, 09:55 AM
Detailed instructions for the CH4D with pictures and a downloadable .pdf version:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/squeezeplay2/index.asp

mdemetz
February 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
Here is the sheet I got with mine.

If you enjoyed reading about "CD4D primer swage kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!