Rimfire Recommendations

PDA

Sniper66
February 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
A friend recently asked me what kind of .22 rimfire he should buy to hunt squirrels. His criteria is that it be less than $400. I haven't bought a .22 in awhile so thought I would ask you guys first to get us started in our search. He will want to mount a scope on it, so maybe make that recommendation too. I have good .22s but they are all over his price limit. I haven't looked at the less expensive ones recently so will appreciate your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rimfire Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bobinoregon
February 11, 2013, 10:14 AM
Ruger 10-22 is a great squirrel rifle. Decent aftermarket barrels can be had for a little over $100 and almost anyone can change one out. Add a Bushnell scope and you are killing squirrels.

TurtlePhish
February 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
If you can find a CZ bolt-action for under $400, get one. I'm not sure what the prices on those are like, but they're accurate and quite pretty.

viking499
February 11, 2013, 10:22 AM
Semi-auto - 10-22 or Marlin 60

Bolt gun - CZ

klcmschlesinger
February 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
I have a savage bolt action 22lr. Shoots real well. Nice accutrigger. I think I got mine for around $300 but can't remember exactly.

bannockburn
February 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
I would say something like a Ruger 10/22 or a CZ model 652 or 655 would be quite effective as a squirrel gun.

mdauben
February 11, 2013, 11:08 AM
A friend recently asked me what kind of .22 rimfire he should buy to hunt squirrels.
If he wants a semi-auto, the Ruger 10/22 is certainly a fine option. The Marlin Model 60 is another popular choice.

If he wants a bolt action, Savage sells a number of their Mark II models for less than $400. Marlin likewise make several different models of their XT-22 which are in your friend's price range. As others have said, their is also the CZ 455 which has a couple models with street prices below $400.

If he wants a lever action, the only one I can think of off hand in that price range is the Henry H001.

Nwflycaster
February 11, 2013, 11:20 AM
Adding another vote for a CZ 455

BCRider
February 11, 2013, 12:10 PM
Up here CZ's are way more than $400. Sounds from the votes that they are less in the US.

If this'll be a rough treated "truck gun" then I'd suggest a Savage Mk II gun with a synthetic stock and stainless action and barrel. It'll withstand the weather and rougher treatement and it won't leave the owner feeling too guilty about each new scuff. The ONLY catch is that for some reason the Savage stocks seem to have a really low comb which doesn't fit well with using a scope. But if he were to mount a folded plastic adjustable comb this could be fixed. Or if he were to buy something like a Boyd's thumbhole stock for the gun again that would be a nice fix. Or just pony up a little more cash and get the Savage laminated BTVSS model. High comb thumbhole laminated stock, stainless metal and the delightful Accutrigger all right from the box.

If it'll be treated to a transport sleeve, reasonably careful use and occasional pampering then the CZ's sure are nice looking rifles and there's no doubt that they shoot nicely.

Sako Shooter
February 11, 2013, 12:17 PM
I believe if you search long enough the CZ 452 Trainer is still available for under $400. Otherwise, I'd look for a used CZ or Sako Quad.

NeuseRvrRat
February 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
A Marlin 795 is $150 or less. i stuck a $30 Simmons scope on top. Results are below. It doesn't take an expensive rifle to get the job done on squirrels. With that said, I have since switched to a CZ 455 American with a Leupold 3-9x33 AO rimfire scope. Definitely a nicer rifle than the Marlin, but the squirrels can't tell the difference.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178484&d=1359248740

saenzrich
February 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
CZ model 652 or 655 would be quite effective as a squirrel gun

CZ 452 or 455 22lr...

kbbailey
February 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
my personal choice and favorite is a Ruger MKII or MKIII with scope mount, and red dot sight. Of course, not as easy to shoot as a rifle....but still very accurate.

I like to handicap myself a little when squirrel hunting by using my handgun or .32 muzzle loader. I love to hunt them, but mrs kb doesn't care to cook 'em. (At least not 8-10/wk.)

Russ Jackson
February 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
Any bolt action in my opinion is the most fun. Squirrels like to pose for the shot. My favorite way to hunt them lately is my Gamo Varmint Stalker Deluxe .177 pellet gun.

Cee Zee
February 11, 2013, 02:59 PM
If I'm going squirrel hunting I'm taking my Marlin 795. It's very light for carrying around all day and it's accurate. If I was going to do a "sit under a tree and wait for the squirrels to come to me" type of hunt I'd take any one of a half dozen different rimfires I own. Some of my other rimfires aren't really suited for hunting.

Decide on a budget. You can get a whole bunch of rimfires for "under $400."

Decide on semi-auto or bolt action. I like semi-auto for squirrel myself. Sometimes I see several in the same tree and I can nail almost all of them with a semi-auto. But I have great bolt action rifles for the job too.

Decide if you want a scope or not and whether that is included in the price of the rifle. Yes you can get a fine setup for under $400 including a scope. A Marlin 60 with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 scope will set you back about $325. I killed a squirrel with that setup not too long ago. I shot it from 50 yards and put a bullet right behind it's ear which is exactly where I aimed.

The biggest problem you'll find right now is finding ammo. Start looking now and hope you get lucky. Some of us stocked up before the election because we remembered the last election.

My choices would be:

Marlin 795
Marlin 60
Marlin XT-22TR - I like tube mags - this one shoots shorts which work great on squirrels - it holds 25 shorts in the tube - if you shoot more than that you aren't hunting, you're plinking
Ruger 10/22
Savage MkII
Savage MkII w/ bull barrel
CZ - any you can find under $400 - when I bought my 453 the 452's were just under $400 - that was a couple of years ago - the 453 is a great rifle though and worth the extra cash
Mossberg
Remington 597
Henry Golden Boy
and a whole bunch of others I can't think of right now.

This list should do well for you. All of them will make a fine squirrel rifle.

bamajoey
February 11, 2013, 03:04 PM
I use a CZ 455 and shoot Winchester HP's. The gun is so accurate I usually shoot just in front of his nose. With the hollow points, this sucks all the air out of his lungs and he suffocates. No meat harmed.:D

Just kidding about everything but the CZ 455

StrutStopper
February 11, 2013, 07:16 PM
My CZ 455 cost a few dollars over $400, just because I decided to order through the LGS down the street instead of looking for a deal. If the weather here ever breaks, I may actually get a chance to shoot it and see if it's as accurate as my Marlin 60. I can tell you for certain that the Marlin is sub minute-of-squirrel head out to 60 yards and beyond.

bamajoey
February 11, 2013, 10:35 PM
Strutstopper, after you get the 455 sighted in, you will probably forget you own the Marlin 60:)

Cee Zee
February 11, 2013, 11:23 PM
I didn't bamajoey. I have 2 60's in fact. I bought a 453 and while it's a great rifle there is a place in the world for an accurate semi-auto even in rimfire rifles. No way any of my Marlins approach the accuracy of my CZ but I find reasons to carry my Marlins often. A big reason is that I really don't like the idea of messing up that beautiful walnut stock on my CZ.

I think the world of my 453 but I'm not about to give up my Marlins just because I have one. I've seen lots of situations that called for a semi-auto. For example shooting at a running, rabid dog is plenty good enough reason to have a semi-auto. If I miss on the first shot I can get off 3 more in the time it takes to shoot just one more with a bolt action.

gpjoe
February 12, 2013, 06:40 AM
I've got a Henry lever gun and a synthetic-stock Remington 597. I've always wanted a Ruger 10-22, but after buying and shooting the Henry and Remington I just never felt the need for anything else. Both will easily get the job done at 50 yards, but the Remington is a bit more accurate - and cheaper - than the Henry.

tuj
February 12, 2013, 08:57 PM
Savage MKII with accu-trigger.

StrutStopper
February 12, 2013, 09:20 PM
Strutstopper, after you get the 455 sighted in, you will probably forget you own the Marlin 60:)
Doubtful. Who says you can't modify a Marlin 60? Lighter springs, heavier stock, decent scope, and it can certainly shoot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/RIStrutStopper/Snapbucket/FF8BEA59-orig_zps4004a709.jpg

ColtPythonElite
February 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
Marlins and Rugers are good guns....With that said, I wouldn't trade my most shot CZ for 2 new Marlins or Rugers. CZ bolt rimfires are great guns.

03Shadowbob
February 12, 2013, 09:43 PM
My marlin 60 with a cheap centerpoint 3x9 scope will pick them off at 50 yards all day long as will my 62 year old Remington 510 Targetmaster. Both under $150.

gunlover_06
February 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
Doubtful. Who says you can't modify a Marlin 60? Lighter springs, heavier stock, decent scope, and it can certainly shoot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/RIStrutStopper/Snapbucket/FF8BEA59-orig_zps4004a709.jpg
Love the stock can you give me some info on what it is and where you got it I would appreciate it very much

JTW Jr.
February 13, 2013, 12:27 AM
I like my Savages:
GV-XP (aka Dicks Special) with Mueller APV scope , harris bipod and rear monopod.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7530668172_e386aedcb9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_t_wylie_jr/7530668172/)
IMG_4265_Savage (http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_t_wylie_jr/7530668172/) by the45guy (http://www.flickr.com/people/john_t_wylie_jr/), on Flickr

Savage FV-SR in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter Stock , overkill muzzle brake installed as thread protector for when a suppressor is not being used:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8459917932_2dd0498a13_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_t_wylie_jr/8459917932/)
FVSR-1660-JW (http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_t_wylie_jr/8459917932/) by the45guy (http://www.flickr.com/people/john_t_wylie_jr/), on Flickr

Both are accurate as I can be with Wolf MT or CCI SV.

StrutStopper
February 13, 2013, 02:42 PM
Love the stock can you give me some info on what it is and where you got it I would appreciate it very much
Thats a Boyd's Rimfire Varmint Thumbhole. I picked it up on clearance just before they started selling the drop-in replacement stocks for the Marlin 60. I had to inlet it for the tubular magazine but the new ones need no inletting. Here's a link: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=7190&cat=1217

wgaynor
February 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
Marlin xt22 works for me. More accurate than my Ruger 10/22

soonerfan85
February 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
How about a used Browning SA take down. Mine shoots only 22 shorts. It's light, compact, quiet and breaks down easily for transport and cleaning.

Instead you could buy a new Marlin 60 with a good quality 4X scope and have enough money left over to buy a case of .22 ammo.

You could buy 2 old Remington 500 series BA rifles for the same $.

CB900F
February 14, 2013, 06:07 PM
Sniper66;

If you do get a Ruger 10/22, don't be too quick to swap out the barrel for an aftermarket. If you do your due diligence with ammo testing, that stock Ruger tube can exhibit some very decent accuracy. The problem though is finding ammo at all these days, let alone a wide selection of it.

In my opinion that barrel money is much better spent on a trigger upgrade, which makes the ammo testing easier anyway.

The Sightron 3-9X rimfire is a good scope that matches well with the gun. But, if you don't want a variable, do try the Nikon Prostaff 4X. I've got both & either is good glass for the money.

900F

tuj
February 14, 2013, 06:12 PM
If you do get a Ruger 10/22, don't be too quick to swap out the barrel for an aftermarket. If you do your due diligence with ammo testing, that stock Ruger tube can exhibit some very decent accuracy. The problem though is finding ammo at all these days, let alone a wide selection of it.

In my opinion that barrel money is much better spent on a trigger upgrade, which makes the ammo testing easier anyway.

I agree that matching the ammo to the barrel is critical, but I disagree regarding the order of importance of the barrel versus the trigger group. A good shooter with a good aftermarket barrel and a stock trigger group will, in my mind, out-shoot the shooter with a stock barrel and aftermarket trigger. It is important to develop good shooting technique, and that is made easier with a better trigger, so I agree it is an important upgrade. Which is why a 10/22 is probably a bad idea; lots of people end up upgrading it to the point where they have no original Ruger parts left. If you're going to do that, might as well build it straight away off an aftermarket receiver.

But that said, a Savage MKII or a CZ452/455 will probably still outshoot most modified 10/22's.

As for a scope, I would suggest higher magnification, like a Mueller 4.5-16x APV. You can't do any serious accuracy work with less than 10x.

CB900F
February 14, 2013, 08:51 PM
Tuj;

Keep in mind we haven't heard from the friend as to what his accuracy requirements are. Yeah, good enough for squirrel hunting with positive feedback, but at 10 yards, or 65? We don't know, and the OP hasn't given us any hints either. Therefore, I'll stand by my initial observation.

Let's face it, if ammo testing with the original barrel doesn't give you what you want, you can find somebody else's take off for five bucks, or the asking I wouldn't be surprised. And I have actually seen some pretty good accuracy out of a stock barrel. Therefore I maintain that the money is better spent on trigger work first.

900F

Cee Zee
February 14, 2013, 11:42 PM
A good shooter with a good aftermarket barrel and a stock trigger group will, in my mind, out-shoot the shooter with a stock barrel and aftermarket trigger

+1 on this. The barrel is the primary part that determines accuracy. A good shooter can make almost any trigger work well. But no one can make a bad barrel work well.

mach1.3
February 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
I've killed many squirrels with .22s. I've even resorted to a 20ga. when a .22 wasn't at hand. Through the years my favorite squirrel rifles have changed depending on the time of my life.

1. Old Faithful--Remington 550-1 with iron sights
2. Close second is Winchester M74 .22LR
3. My original GMM60 "squirrel stock" with it's original thin tube 4x scope.
4. Follow on with 1982 and 2000 version M60s
5. My brother's M39A
6. Mossberg M151K
7. Future number oneCZ American 455 when it arrives, I'll probably shoot
the .17HMR bbl first to see the difference in impact on the tree rat
populace.
8. I might give my Ruger MKIII Target/Competition 5.5" a try also.

If I could figure out how to take a decent picture and also how to post it to this board then pics COULD FOLLOW!

alfon99
February 15, 2013, 01:48 PM
I have a 452 ultra lux, I have a cheap simmons 3-9x40 scope in it. Honestly I never hunt squirrels, there are no squirrels where I live. But I hunt birds and It's damn accurate! The ultra lux is a little bit more than 400$, but there are other 452's out there for less than 400$! I hope this helps! Good luck!

husker
February 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Ive gone Beeman hundred dollar 22 cal AIR POWER for all my squirrel hunting needs & im not going back any time soon.
10/22,Henry001,Rem597 & the Mar60 all stay home now.

Steel Talon
February 15, 2013, 09:01 PM
Marlin Model 60...Ive killed countless squirrels rabits etc. with that model starting with the Glenco model

If you enjoyed reading about "Rimfire Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!