Testing that 20Ga Stoger Uplander for HD

PDA

ZVP
February 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
Yesterday I finally got the chance to testfire my new aquisition at livingroom ranges.
I made some cardboard cut-outs approximatelly the width of thechest and vitals area Nothin fancy, just rectangles and let your imagination work...
Aimpoint @ solar plexus/heart.
Result with 7 1/2 Birdshot (all I could find) was a nice 4" hole at the aimpoint and shot scattered completelly ovet the pasteboard!
The full length Uplander came up and pointed easilly
! wwith the spread from birdshot, I could imagine a #3 Phesant load and even better the tight group from Buckshot!
I chpse the 20Ga because of our physical limitations and also because of it's relativelly light weight. It swings easilly and comes to point likewise.
The Uplander has a 1 inch longer LOP than a Coach gun and I am a little concerened about a perfectsight picture for the wWife's short arms and 5' 4" frame. However I think it'll work out for her too!
20Ga recoil is light and won't hurt our damaged sholders at all. Even Buckshot shouldn't affect us or promote flinching
Being a "used" gun I checked out firing pin hits (great) and hinge fit (Tight!)
Cocking was positive and not difficult.Extraction was positive and empties cleared easilly.
All in all a GREAT buy for a $200 "Used" shotgun!
If we ever need the thing, I am sure it will preform admireablly alao it should give a lifetime(and then some!) of light Hunting and recrational shooting! How can ya go wrong choosing a Stoger?
I kinda want to buy a 12 Ga Coach gun to play with also! Hock shops are full of em!
ZVP

If you enjoyed reading about "Testing that 20Ga Stoger Uplander for HD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZVP
February 11, 2013, 03:39 PM
Almost forgot to ask!
Any ideas when the hammerless (internal hammers) lockwork was firt used?
I have read on CAS sites that this type exhisted side bu side with O/S hammer types.
Personally, I prefer the inside hammers as this is one lessitem to slow your shot down...
Thanks,
ZVP

Virginian
February 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
A standard Stoeger Uplander with fixed chokes, two triggers, and extractors is pretty darned reliable. The Cowboy set use them a lot, and they are HARD on guns. Start adding single triggers, hammers, etc., and the reliability starts going downhill fast.

If you enjoyed reading about "Testing that 20Ga Stoger Uplander for HD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!