Barrel threading price.

PDA

Grassman
February 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
What would a gunsmith charge to thread my 1-9 twist 18" AR-15 barrel? I'd like to suppress it some day. There are no sights on the barrel. And what should I look out for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel threading price." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
egg250
February 11, 2013, 07:23 PM
I know this doesn't help, but what price did your gunsmith quote you? Whatever the price, keep in mind it will include removing the barrel, anything else in the way and reassembly.

Grassman
February 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have not consulted one yet.

ApacheCoTodd
February 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
If I did it, here's the "depends ons":

What's the current diameter? Just the basics; bull, heavy or light barrel at the current muzzle?

Is a refinish needed? - Which one?

Will a re-crown be done?

Do I need to cut back a diameter past the threads for a particular can being mounted?

Can the barrel sit about for a bit to wait for more threading work? This is just me but I like doing these things in batches for set up.

I'm certainly not offering to do it as I only work in a face to face manner but for reference each of the above affects my pricing.

Just the barrel right? No assembly/disassembly?

Telekinesis
February 11, 2013, 07:29 PM
It will differ by your location and which gunsmith does it, but from what I've seen $100-150 is about average. Make sure that they cut the threads concentric to the bore, not the barrel, especially if you plan on mounting a suppressor and not just a flash hider. Baffle strikes are never fun to deal with...

Grassman
February 11, 2013, 08:01 PM
These are the questions I would have never known to ask, Thanks!

dsink
February 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
If it helps, I normally charge $50.00 to thread the muzzle end of a barrel. If its an AR, I tell my customers its $50 if they break it down and just bring me the barrel or $75 if I have to take it apart.

AR15barrels
February 15, 2013, 10:56 PM
I get $30 to thread a stripped AR barrel if it's off the upper already.
That is single point cutting threads on centers and re-cutting the crown afterwards.
$40 more if I also have to tear down and rebuild the upper.
$15 more to shorten the barrel at the same time as threading.
$30 more to perm attach a muzzle device.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel threading price." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!