bullet seatig shaving copper jacket

PDA

BGD
February 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
It has been a long time since I loaded a rifle bullet. Today I noticed some of the copper jacket being shaved off while being seated. It is miniscule, but I have not noticed it before. Is this normal? should I reduce neck tension? I did trim the cases and debur both inside and out. Would beveling the neck with fine sand paper help? I am using Hornady 150 grain SST in a Winchester 270 WSM case.

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet seatig shaving copper jacket" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
February 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
a little more chamfer on the inside of the case mouth might help. are they flat base or boat tail bullets?

BGD
February 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
They are boat tail bullets.

rcmodel
February 11, 2013, 09:13 PM
+1
A case chamfering tool twist will stop all that foolishness.

Unless, you are are trying to seat & crimp in the same step.

There is no reason to crimp a .270.

So back off the seating die and re-adjust the seating depth and the problem should be a distant memory of the past in the future.

rc

BGD
February 11, 2013, 09:22 PM
I am using the RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center. Do I need a different case chamfering tool? I am not crimping I am using the RCBS gold medal bullet seater die.

NeuseRvrRat
February 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
I am using the RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center. Do I need a different case chamfering tool?

it depends. do you have the 3-way cutter on the trimmer?

BGD
February 11, 2013, 09:45 PM
I just have the cutters that came with it. Are there better cutters that I should buy for it? I noticed they have carbide cutters I could buy for it.

GLOOB
February 11, 2013, 09:47 PM
Try a little LESS chamfer on the inside. I'm betting you're overdoing it, leaving a secondary sharp edge. Don't bevel the inside. Just knock off the edge. Same for the outside chamfer.

You also might try a larger expander or an M die. M die will add a tiny flare on the mouth, making inside chamfer completely unnecessary, and your bullets will also seat straighter.

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet seatig shaving copper jacket" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!