CHEAPER THAN DIRT HAS COLT 6920 ARs!!!!

PDA

JohnnyK
February 12, 2013, 12:28 AM
at only $3,895... I'm not sure how many I should buy at such low prices... I guess dirt aint cheap anymore... only $3000 more than how much wallyworld sells ARs... what a deal... sad thing is some schmuck will pay it... :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "CHEAPER THAN DIRT HAS COLT 6920 ARs!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vamo
February 12, 2013, 12:38 AM
I've found that after you factor in shipping either walmart or BUDS is always cheaper than Cheaper than Dirt. I don't intend to buy another gun, until this nonsense has died down. As long as you live in a free state you'll be able to buy an AR when the politicians have moved on. But if you must have one right now expect to pay a premium the demand is outpacing the supply at the moment so the scariest guns sell for way more than they used to. I for one am banking on nothing passing and the hoarders realizing they have no need for 5 AR-15s and selling their guns at a loss.

JohnnyK
February 12, 2013, 12:47 AM
$4k after tax, shipping and ffl fees... is NUTS!

Coop45
February 12, 2013, 01:08 AM
The dirt must be local in Tahiti.

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 01:12 AM
Cool.. I could sell a brick of .22lr and buy three!

mastiffhound
February 12, 2013, 01:16 AM
You should not post anything about CTD. Some poor person who just got into AR's might actually buy them. I have nothing but hatred for CTD, yes they are some sort of dirt.

Shadow 7D
February 12, 2013, 01:19 AM
The dirt must be local in Tahiti.
Yep, that there is some VERY expensive dirt....

vamo
February 12, 2013, 01:22 AM
It is nuts, but whats even more nuts is people are paying that, otherwise they'd lower there prices.

I for one totally agree that the prices are ridiculous. BUT, you better believe if I currently owned a colt AR15 it would have immediatley been on gunbroker with a 4k reserve as soon as the buying panic started. Same if I owned a gunshop all more evil weapons would see a sudden price increase. Same with the favorite hoarding calibers. Its not gouging its recognizing market conditions.

I will admit it is very annoying for those of us actually in the market for a new gun, but patience will prevail, I seriously doubt anything that is legal now will be illegal before the next congressional elections.

Impureclient
February 12, 2013, 01:31 AM
$3900 isn't a bad price compared to $6000 on Gunbroker.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328948452

Bubba613
February 12, 2013, 08:03 AM
Why would anyone buy from a company that was ready to throw gun rights over the side at the slightest gust of unfavorable wind?

NosaMSirhC
February 12, 2013, 08:46 AM
Why would anyone buy from a company that was ready to throw gun rights over the side at the slightest gust of unfavorable wind?

Thanks for saying it for me...

Be Safe!

NosaM

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

OilyPablo
February 12, 2013, 08:56 AM
Ah, another CTD thread. CTD, the role model for odd business practices. I just rarely buy from them - in fact not once since the banic.

heeler
February 12, 2013, 09:27 AM
My thoughts on this is that when things finally calm down and guns and ammunition become abundantly available again,and it will,a lot of places are going to lose an awful lot of customers because of certain business practices they are conducting today.
You know free enterprise and all that other jazz.

Hapworth
February 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
It's the last gasp of trying to get truly outrageous money for an AR. I've been following 6920s on GB and prices are steadily dropping now to an average of about $1850 for a standard one, from a high of near $3000.

nathan
February 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
Gouging to the max. Time for gunowners to scream foul !

ny32182
February 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
The market crashed hard after the 09 panic and we had a couple years of the cheapest ARs I've ever seen... same will happen again.

Grassman
February 12, 2013, 10:15 AM
CTD is dead to me. (My standard post on all CTD threads)

Akita1
February 12, 2013, 10:16 AM
The market crashed hard after the 09 panic and we had a couple years of the cheapest ARs I've ever seen... same will happen again.
+1; it will be akin to the end of hunting season - everyone who bought a rifle who really couldn't afford it will be bringing them to gun shops and shows to sell for some quick cash.

Grassman
February 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
+1; it will be akin to the end of hunting season - everyone who bought a rifle who really couldn't afford it will be bringing them to gun shops and shows to sell for some quick cash.
Let's hope so, I'll pick up a couple on the cheap.

wtr100
February 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
CTD may excrete urine above the horizon upon lenghts of twisted cordage :neener:

mrvco
February 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
Do they disassemble the AR and ship each part from 5 different warehouses?

Akita1
February 12, 2013, 01:45 PM
A quick apology - posted a four-letter with asterisks venting re: CTD but obviously shouldn't have. Thanks hso for the admonition and won't happen again.

pat701
February 12, 2013, 01:48 PM
Don't give them your $$$$$ when things get better.:banghead:

Armed 24/7
February 12, 2013, 03:32 PM
CTD is dead to me as well.
This past weekend at the gun show in Robstown TX, there were 6920's for $3000. Again that particular dealer from Austin will never get and business from me.

jmorris
February 12, 2013, 03:38 PM
Cheaper than Dirt full of gold nuggets, if you do business with them you deserve their prices.

ATLDave
February 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
Just keep track of which stores and sellers are treating you the way you want to be treated. Remember to reward them when they have things to sell, even if it means spending a couple of bucks more.

Or don't. It's a (relatively) free country. But you'll get more of what you incentivize.

imac98374
February 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
Another consideration: they probably don't have many of these rifles. If they prices them at $1080, or even $2500, they would quickly sell out. Would you rather see rifle available for an inflated price, or rifles universally sold out? Either way you're not getting one, so what's the difference. In stock rifles is the first step towards price normalization.

Hapworth
February 12, 2013, 05:45 PM
Another consideration: they probably don't have many of these rifles. If they prices them at $1080, or even $2500, they would quickly sell out. Would you rather see rifle available for an inflated price, or rifles universally sold out? Either way you're not getting one, so what's the difference. In stock rifles is the first step towards price normalization.
Whereas I agree with the economic theory you're putting forward, the same would work if CTD were pricing the 6920s in line with or just above market demand, which is just below $2000 at present. They've elected to go full retard...

Ky Larry
February 12, 2013, 05:48 PM
Why should I care what CTD charges for anything? Just because they run it up the flagpole doesn't mean I have to salute it.:rolleyes:

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 05:50 PM
They really should be free.. like essential goods were for decades in communist lands.

Trent
February 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
I won't spend a dime at CTD, ever again. They don't exist anymore in my book.

gpurp
February 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
CTD may excrete urine above the horizon upon lenghts of twisted cordage :neener:

+1

Sent from my Tactical Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

jerryv
February 12, 2013, 09:31 PM
Im glad to see this thread because i was about to post the same.

Last night i made 2 visits to the CTD site. my first and my last. 4 weeks ago i bought the colt le6920 for $1097 at wal-mart. a 30rd magpul mag from local dealer for $14.

CTD le6920 is over $3800 and magpul mag is over $99.
Wal-mart here got 1 le6920 in and sold it yesterday for $1097 plus tax.

Gander mountain who has a rep of being over priced is getting ars in every Thursday morning here and selling at the msrp. they have had 223 american eagle ammo is on sale this week for $8.99 a box.

this seems to say that the mfg. has not yet increased their prices and CTD is showing pure greed in their pricing.

yes i guess what CTD is doing is called capitalism and not illegal but its the during hard times that you find out who your friends are. CTD is no friend.

silicosys4
February 12, 2013, 09:54 PM
CTD is run by idiots. If they are getting a new shipment of 6920's, so are other distributors. You don't mark up incoming inventory. You mark up inventory you have left that other people don't
I sincerely hope I get to say someday....those guys WERE jokes, and I'm glad they aren't around.

Hapworth
February 12, 2013, 10:22 PM
They really should be free.. like essential goods were for decades in communist lands.
So because an absurd mark-up on a product purchasable right now at a much lower price is held up for ridicule, somehow Communism is being championed?

Quite a leap in logic...

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 11:56 PM
Hey Hap, that was a joke, hep?

Voyager
February 13, 2013, 01:57 AM
$4k after tax, shipping and ffl fees... is NUTS!
Only to those of you who seem to think that what once was, always will be! The worm has turned, prices reflect this new paradigm, what you once paid for firearms & ammunition is nowhere near what you will be paying for them from now on.

I have found these gun boards populated by some of the most entitlement minded, knee-jerk, pro-command & control(socialized economy)types imaginable. You are running right up against the oldest formula of civilization, supply v demand! It doesn't make anyone a schmuck, it simply places them on the other side of a new unfolding economic paradigm. I'd not be surprised to discover that these command & control types are divided down an age line, thirty and under demand it, and are the ones constantly name calling those that are simply contending, thirty and over were just far better prepared, and have far greater experience.

Voyager
February 13, 2013, 02:02 AM
So because an absurd mark-up on a product purchasable right now at a much lower price is held up for ridicule, somehow Communism is being championed?

Quite a leap in logic...
Nonsense, you're whining about what you have absolutely no control, and many of those whining loudest, are very definitely leaning hard pro-socialized economy. I'd love, absolutely love to see just how those loud voices voted(if they even did)this past November.

Hapworth
February 13, 2013, 08:44 AM
Hey Hap, that was a joke, hep?:p Start usin' them smilies then... :neener:

Russ Jackson
February 13, 2013, 08:52 AM
$3900 isn't a bad price compared to $6000 on Gunbroker.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328948452
I like that is says ONLY ONE LEFT!

Hapworth
February 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
Three 6920s sold on Gunbroker yesterday afternoon for $1600-$1800 apiece. 6920s listed over $2000 weren't getting bids.

Ones marked "Restricted" from during the '94 ban do seem to fetch a higher price, I presume from collectors or the uninformed who think they're getting something different other than rollmarks.

And I've seen a few of the Socom 6920s fetch a pretty penny still; I'm convinced buyers are confusing them with the Socom IIs which do command a higher price.

Bottom line: if 6920s can be used as representative, at present the panic price tides are receding.

Hapworth
February 13, 2013, 01:57 PM
And AS IS -- No refund or exchange...

Ashcons
February 13, 2013, 02:30 PM
I couldn't care less where retailers are pricing as long as there isn't collusion on pricing. Any retailers marking up their prices are trying to find market equilibrium. As long as there are people with more money and anxiety than you paying those prices, you're SOL till price elasticity returns. Eventually you'll be able to pick up a $700 PSA build again.

My reasons for never sending CTD another cent come from their apparent revulsion towards 2A and the yellow belly they displayed in December 2012. Why anyone would shop there with their ridiculous warehouse situation confuses me.

blaisenguns
February 13, 2013, 02:32 PM
My reasons for never sending CTD another cent come from their apparent revulsion towards 2A and the yellow belly they displayed in December 2012.

I am unfamiliar with this, can you elaborate or give a link? I would think a place that sells machine gun parts would be pro 2nd amendment.

Cricoid
February 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
If someone would give me $4k right now for my 6920, I'd happily take it.

CTD is ridiculous. I sent them a scathing letter demanding they stop sending me catalogs and informing them I'd never do business with them again. Disgusting.

JohnnyK
February 13, 2013, 03:04 PM
their catalogs do make good bathroom reading material. :)

tulsamal
February 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
If someone would give me $4k right now for my 6920, I'd happily take it.

During the height of the panic, I finally got the Bud's website to load. And they had an auction going for a Ruger SR556. It was up to $27xx with four hours left to go.

I tried to talk myself into listing my Ruger after seeing that. It is the $1500 model, but I bought it for $995 slightly used. I've put a lot of $$ into replacing various parts I didn't like but I could switch those back out for factory. But the thing is... I really, really like that rifle. And I only have one of them. (Multiple other AR's.) If I somehow had had more than one Ruger... I might have gone for around $3000 for one. Then sit on the money until the craziness goes away and I can finally dream of getting a SCAR 17 again!

Gregg

fallout mike
February 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
I just ordered 25 of their $99.99 pmags. Great deal!!

gpb
February 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
"I just ordered 25 of their $99.99 pmags. Great deal!! "

Are they being shipped from 25 different warehouses?

Derek Zeanah
February 13, 2013, 03:26 PM
Rumor in the local gunshops is that MagPul won't be using CTD as a distributor in the future.

Don't know about the truth of that, however.

G21NE
February 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
And no bids....don't think it will get any either.

Ashcons
February 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
I am unfamiliar with this, can you elaborate or give a link? I would think a place that sells machine gun parts would be pro 2nd amendment.
Sure, blaisenguns,

CTD posted the following edit to their original Facebook post following the Newtown event:

Cheaper Than Dirt! recently announced that it was temporarily suspending online sales of firearms pending a review of its order processing and procedures. Well-known for its ability to process and ship orders within 24 hours, online sales have skyrocketed to a point where it may take up to 72 hours for firearms and other items to ship.

“In light of recent events, we believe it is prudent to review our policies and procedures to ensure we can continue to provide the products and firearms our customers demand,” said Chief Operations Officer Roberta Wilson. “We will resume online sales once we update our process and continue as we have always done by shipping firearms only to FFL dealers.”

Ms. Wilson closed with, “As a long-time supporter of the Second Amendment, we will continue to serve the needs of the firearms community while ensuring our unsurpassed level of quality and customer service.”

Cheaper Than Dirt! prides itself on being America’s Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter since 1993. Cheaper Than Dirt! boasts over 100,000 items available for purchase through their Web site and catalog. Articles, photos and videos appear daily on the Shooter’s Log at www.CheaperThanDirt.com/blog.

Sounds reasonable, right? You'd figure immediately following the breaking of the Newtown news, I wasn't the only one thinking, "Well the Brady bunch and MAIG are cackling with glee right now," and online sales everywhere would have undoubtedly seen an increase, especially big dropship places like CTD.

You probably know that Dick's Sporting Goods and, IIRC, Cabelas suspended modern sporting rifle sales subsequently. Here is their original CTD Facebook post immediately following the Newtown event:

“Cheaper Than Dirt! is suspending online sales of firearms effective immediately. We are reviewing our policy internally, and will continue to be the leader in the outdoor industry with our full line of gear and accessories.”

Now call me pessimistic, but that looks like the company's initial reaction was in like with Dick's. I don't care that they got re-worded their explanation after the flak they took on the FB posting, even if the new wording looks very reasonable to me as a reason to halt sales while a company figures out how to deal with the craziness of the demand, I believe based on their original post that the reasoning was not along that line, but they had a convenient fall-back reason. I assume Bubba613 feels the same way.

They do seem to have come to their senses and realized that they'd be missing out on a whole lot of $ right now if they weren't selling AR-15s.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/18/online-gun-retailer-cheaper-than-dirt-suspends-firearm-sales/

There was also a lot of talk of it on ARFCOM and I seem to recall seeing posts here after CTD's original post. I'm sure CTD and Code Red (completely unrelated issue) both lost some customers over recent foot-in-mouth moments. I don't see the point of shopping where 1) the seller would sell me out at the drop of a hat or 2) seller views its customers with contempt.

blaisenguns
February 13, 2013, 03:40 PM
Thank you Ashcons. It is good to know what they are up too. I prefer Midway USA anyway, and they are usually cheaper.

Ashcons
February 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
You're welcome. I like MidwayUSA too, especially their Youtube videos.

Voyager
February 13, 2013, 09:10 PM
And no bids....don't think it will get any either.
I do, mine sold for $4700.00 one week ago, market is in turmoil, marked by explosive spurts in buyer activity.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 14, 2013, 06:32 PM
Not normally a big CTD fan; but at least they are putting the money to good use. Cheaper Than Dirt just made a $100,000 donation to the Second Amendment Foundation.
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/cheaper-than-dirt-donates-100000-to-second-amendment-foundation/

fallout mike
February 14, 2013, 09:43 PM
Gpb, actually they are being shipped from 29 different warehouses. 4 of them has to make layovers at other warehouses. And the shipping was only $139.63.

jwh336
February 14, 2013, 10:05 PM
$3,800! Lol

If you enjoyed reading about "CHEAPER THAN DIRT HAS COLT 6920 ARs!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!