Are you adding security due to higher valuations on guns?

PDA

klover
February 12, 2013, 12:48 AM
Glock 20 on GB went for $1350!!!!

Weren't they going for about half that two months ago or am I dreaming?

It was a plain Gen 4 with 3 mags. I don't know much about Glocks, but is it time to up the security on a few choice items?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you adding security due to higher valuations on guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 12, 2013, 12:56 AM
No, not in my opinion.
I have had a gun collection my whole adult life.

That would be starting in 1960 or so.

I don't really care how much my 50+ gun collection appreciated in the last few months.

My guns are my guns, and they still get the best security I can provide they have always had over the years.

I never did find it desirable to arm a low-life scum-bag with a stolen gun of mine.
Regardless of its value then, or now.

Even when I was just starting out in 1960.

rc

coloradokevin
February 12, 2013, 01:33 AM
I haven't adjusted much myself. I've always wished I could have better security for my firearms, but I don't think I'm in a bad place now. First, the woman and I work different shifts, so there's really only a couple of hours on any given day when one of us isn't here. Add to that the fact that we have two big dogs (a German Shepherd/Akita mix and a Great Pyrenees / Golden Retriever mix) who make quite a scene at the door, and I don't feel like my risk is notably high. Our Pyrenees in particular does not like the idea of someone coming to the door.

ColtPythonElite
February 12, 2013, 01:36 AM
No...

Warp
February 12, 2013, 02:06 AM
Glock 20 on GB went for $1350!!!!

Weren't they going for about half that two months ago or am I dreaming?

It was a plain Gen 4 with 3 mags. I don't know much about Glocks, but is it time to up the security on a few choice items?

What do you mean?

Isaac-1
February 12, 2013, 02:30 AM
I am giving thought to improving my home security partly due to increased gun values.

thorazine
February 12, 2013, 06:07 AM
I don't advertise the fact that I own firearms so anyone that knows where I live is clueless.

My safes are well hidden (concealed).

Alarm goes off post break in...

The typical intruder will hopefully get spooked and only take the time to grab what is laying out in plain sight.

Consisting of various electronics, etc.

bikerdoc
February 12, 2013, 07:22 AM
Nothing new here, but pity the fool that tries to overcome human, canine, electronic, and mechanical countermeasures.

pockets
February 12, 2013, 07:31 AM
No.

Reference post #2.

Akita1
February 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
Yes, bought another .357 to enhance the flavor of the safe

psyopspec
February 12, 2013, 10:21 AM
Nope. My guns were reasonably secured before, and remain so now. While the panic set the conditions for the inflated price of that Gen 4 Glock 20, the gun just being released for non-blue label purchase also makes it a hot commodity.

Double Naught Spy
February 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
Even if my guns went up 10 times in value, they represent nothing compared to the value of the humans inside my home. If I raise security, it will be for the people inside the home, not because I own a few valuable items.

We have security for everything so far. When the guns become more valuable than the humans, then we will raise security.

Warp
February 12, 2013, 12:54 PM
I am giving thought to improving my home security partly due to increased gun values.

Home security, to me, is 99.9999% about the safety of myself and my family.

The hell with a few thousand dollars worth of possessions.

Ehtereon11B
February 12, 2013, 06:32 PM
A few upgrades between the outside and inside that needed to be replaced anyway. But not because my firearms are worth 3x what they were a year ago. Life is expensive. Just ask a civil court attorney.

hueyville
February 12, 2013, 09:55 PM
I have had some sort of security for 30 years. As the collection has grown my security processes have also. My security system is top shelf now. I believe as owners of firearms it is part of our responsibility to secure them.

Warp
February 12, 2013, 10:00 PM
I have had some sort of security for 30 years. As the collection has grown my security processes have also. My security system is top shelf now. I believe as owners of firearms it is part of our responsibility to secure them.

I think that locking items you possess in your home generally qualifies as securing them.

MedWheeler
February 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
Nah, all of my guns are "beer-budget" pieces, and they will stay that way. I doubt any of mine have increased substantially in value.

gym
February 12, 2013, 10:52 PM
Yes more guns to proect my guns with

Zardaia
February 12, 2013, 11:00 PM
Not do to the current panic. I bought a good safe when my collection grew to the point I figured it warrented such investment. When I only owned a few, locked doors were good enough for me. Plus of course there was a change in residence, apartment to home owner, which also allowed for a more permanent security set up.

Walkalong
February 12, 2013, 11:06 PM
I think that locking items you possess in your home generally qualifies as securing them.As far as guns go, I would have to disagree. One really needs to have a safe of some sort for firearms.

Because of my safe, if the average burglar breaks into my home, the TVs, laptops, and stereo will be much easier to steal, so that is what they will take. I don't have to worry about said burglar shooting someone with my TV. I am not attached to my TV. I would surely miss some of my guns, and worry about what was being done with them.

Warp
February 12, 2013, 11:15 PM
As far as guns go, I would have to disagree. One really needs to have a safe of some sort for firearms.

Because of my safe, if the average burglar breaks into my home, the TVs, laptops, and stereo will be much easier to steal, so that is what they will take. I don't have to worry about said burglar shooting someone with my TV. I am not attached to my TV. I would surely miss some of my guns, and worry about what was being done with them.

What makes firearms so different that being locked in your home isn't considered as securing them?

TIMC
February 13, 2013, 01:38 AM
Yes, I asked for more coast guard patrols in the area where I lost all my guns in that tragic boating accident! ;)

bdgackle
February 13, 2013, 02:37 AM
I haven't seen any appreciation. A year ago, you could trade one AR-15 for about 3k rounds of 5.56. Today... you could do about the same.

I have, however, begun to worry less about the cash lying around. Back when a $100 bill was worth 300 rounds of 5.56, it was an object to be treasured. Now that $100's are only worth 70 rounds of 5.56, I worry about them a little less. We're getting close to the point when cutting up $1 dollar bills for use as cleaning patches will start to make sense. I wonder if we can talk the fed into printing money on something more absorbent.

The whole "I'll give you these worthless pieces of green paper if you give me that object of actual value" thing was a great scam while it lasted. Sooner or later, though, people were bound to catch on.

mastiffhound
February 13, 2013, 03:55 AM
ADT house alarm, a loaded gun in less than arms reach, a locked gun safe, a 186 pound english mastiff who I have seen take down an overweight teenager who was trying to steal something out of my garage, and her best friend, a 91 pound pit bull named Lucy-fur who is equally vicious to strangers entering my property unlawfully. I also live in the country. My neighbors watch out for my house just like I watch out for theirs. We all own guns. Breaking into a house around here could result in a trip to the hospital, maybe the morgue.

Dr.Rob
February 13, 2013, 05:03 AM
Yes. I actually locked up my magazines for the first time last month.

Values on those have shot up so high, figured they should be in the safe too.

MedWheeler
February 13, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mastiffhound writes:

ADT house alarm, a loaded gun in less than arms reach, a locked gun safe, a 186 pound english mastiff who I have seen take down an overweight teenager who was trying to steal something out of my garage, and her best friend, a 91 pound pit bull named Lucy-fur who is equally vicious to strangers entering my property unlawfully. I also live in the country. My neighbors watch out for my house just like I watch out for theirs. We all own guns. Breaking into a house around here could result in a trip to the hospital, maybe the morgue

This thread is about whether or not you have taken additional measures (in the last two months or so) to protect your firearms due to their possible recent and sudden appreciation in value.

So, have you?

Sav .250
February 13, 2013, 08:45 AM
Home security..............Home insurance.

longknife12
February 13, 2013, 12:20 PM
ANPAC, my carrier for HO automatically updates my firearms......have always done it!Safes and gear included. Did add another shelf gun downstairs...still gotta get by 3 sets of fangs!Dan
:)

xwingband
February 13, 2013, 12:38 PM
Well, I haven't beefed it up significantly. I'm not in a situation where I can use a safe. I'm renting and I'm not going to waste money on an RSC.

I have more long guns now so I rethought my storage and put a hasp lock on the closet they're in. I live alone it's not like I have to worry about keeping kids out. I figure they'd have to break the solid wood doors, then a locked interior door, and finally the hasp lock... that's enough. I also store ammo and magazines separate (except for self-defense guns that are loaded). I'd hope that a criminal walking into a gun shop asking about what magazines or ammo to get would set off some alarms, or worse pawning a gun without the magazines.

I did this also so that in discussions that I can say that my guns are all stored safely as much as is reasonable.

VegasAR15
February 13, 2013, 12:40 PM
All the guns I already had shot way up, the ammo I have shot way up, the magazines I have shot way up and I have had some great opportunities to expand all of it the last couple months by a lot. I have heard on my local news that there have been more break ins in my area specifically targeting guns. Let's just say should that happen at my house I would be out a very exquisitely beautiful penny. Most of my stuff is in a semi hidden safe but I have been thinking of picking up another safe, getting an alarm system, maybe some perforated steel window coverings that look like solar screens, beefing up the front door frame and adding a security screen door and probably adding a few camera. It is all stuff I have been planning on doing, but this seems like a good time to go ahead with some of it. It isn't when I am there that I am worried about, it's when no one is home that I am worried about.

Trent
February 13, 2013, 04:34 PM
Beefed up my home security?

You bet your ass I have.

A neighbor was recently robbed by *5* armed intruders, who went SPECIFICALLY after the guns.

5 on one odds was enough of a wake-up call that I decided to get official training AND take a serious look at protecting my family.

I have recently taken an NRA personal protection in the home course (this last weekend!), made several changes to our security and patterns, have a MUCH higher rated safe (Liberty Presidential 40 gun) on order, and we've had three family meetings going over home intrusion scenarios in the last month (8 people live here, everyone needs to know their part). Also covered what I learned about lethal force with the rest of my family.

The home scenarios we've done have been extensive, and we've rearranged furniture to create hard points of cover for my children. Locks have been strengthened, etc.

I'm also never more than 12" from a firearm at any time, now.

Working from home today; and as I type this on a break:

http://i.imgur.com/BvU39gD.jpg

Texan Scott
February 13, 2013, 04:54 PM
My guns are insured for their financial value. They are secured on the basis of my need for access, balanced against the damage they could do in the wrong hands. These are factors that follow local crime stats, not nationwide market trends.

VegasAR15
February 13, 2013, 05:31 PM
My guns are insured for their financial value. They are secured on the basis of my need for access, balanced against the damage they could do in the wrong hands. These are factors that follow local crime stats, not nationwide market trends.

Who do you have them insured through? I have been meaning to look into my home insurance to see what it covers, but I am sure that it won't come close.

Texan Scott
February 13, 2013, 05:41 PM
Talk to the NRA about expanding your membership & insurance benefits.

r1derbike
February 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
Yes, due to a thwarted, multiple assailant, home invasion; intercom, and motion sensing floods at each corner of the home.

The person operating "point" at the front door didn't like what she saw (we will clean your carpets for free, my crew is in the van), and bolted after my wife told her we already had them cleaned, and slammed the door. I'm the reason she didn't like what she saw. Van had smashed tags and was a rusted-out hulk. Took off like a ruptured bunny. Just glad we were home.

It's real out there. Be safe.

Oh, no, I won't be getting rid of my long gun. It would bring 2,500 more than I paid, but my family's safety and my belongings are worth more than that.

No, haven't gotten any more insurance (NRA), as the inflation of goods will likely be temporary, in answer to the OP.

HarcyPervin
February 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
New NRA membership - their standard insurance was a bonus.
Bought my first pistol - not really a security thing as much as I just wanted it
I did also get a safe as a birthday present.

I guess you could say my security and insurance has increased, though not as a result of the appreciated value of anything.

mastiffhound
February 13, 2013, 06:47 PM
Mastiffhound writes:

Quote:
ADT house alarm, a loaded gun in less than arms reach, a locked gun safe, a 186 pound english mastiff who I have seen take down an overweight teenager who was trying to steal something out of my garage, and her best friend, a 91 pound pit bull named Lucy-fur who is equally vicious to strangers entering my property unlawfully. I also live in the country. My neighbors watch out for my house just like I watch out for theirs. We all own guns. Breaking into a house around here could result in a trip to the hospital, maybe the morgue

This thread is about whether or not you have taken additional measures (in the last two months or so) to protect your firearms due to their possible recent and sudden appreciation in value.

So, have you?

I haven't sorry if that wasn't clear. I don't know what else I could really do as far as added security.

Teachu2
February 13, 2013, 07:08 PM
I managed to get the wife's approval to buy a big, heavy steel and drywall box for our home office when I asked what her jewelry (inheirited from her mom) was worth to her. She shuddered at the thought of losing it to burglary or fire, and decided my Costco $569 specials weren't sufficient protection for her stuff. Suddenly cost was not an obstacle...

We already had a home alarm with a radio link backup, fast response fire department, nosy retired neighbors, two large noisy dogs, and a fire-resistant home structure.

I would have made the change regardless of the current frenzy. I now lock up the ammo, tho!

MedWheeler
February 13, 2013, 10:17 PM
Sorry, mastiffhound, I took all that to be stuff you already had in place. I didn't get that you were saying all that has only been implemented in the last 6-8 weeks, and that you had no firearms-security practice in place prior to that. Sounds like you caught up pretty quickly.

dirtykid
February 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
So how many of you use your home insurance to cover your guns ?
My insurance agent called me the other day and pre-warned me that the companyI had my home-insurance with was raising rates by almost 20% !!
At one time years ago, I had photographed every weapon with serial #and approx value including accessories and made sure the home policy covered them completly,,
Maybe I was feeling "big brother" paranoid,a I cancelled that part of the policy and told themIhadsold all of the weapons I originally listed,and told them to destroy any records of me having them,as they were sold/traded for others,that wern't worth listing or insuring seperately,,
I currently only have a "gun cabinet" with a lockthat im prettysure I could defeat in minutes with a simple crowbar. I have been shopping for an actual fire-resistant safe,but am having trouble finding room for it in my small house
Once I do manage to get an actual safe,hwat are everybodies feelings on itemizing every gun and listing them on my homeowners insurance??( It only costs like $80/year)
Or is it noneof their business,as long as I can protect them from theft/fire ?

dirtykid
February 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
Sorry for the above missing spaces/letters, I got one of them new floppy-keyboards !

Trent
February 14, 2013, 12:44 AM
Most homeowners policies will only cover 5-10K in coverage on firearms. At least all the ones I checked out that are available to me in Illinois. NONE would offer declared value coverage at the levels I required.

I got a policy through NRA Armscare plus. You only have to provide a list of make & model of firearms with a declared value of over $2500.

One downside, is they look UP those values and if they are over book value they question it and ask for details. Scopes and accessories will be covered (and they DO look up those values too).

If your firearm is rare enough that it's not in the book, and not on the internet, things get pretty interesting. They DO like to argue about value in that case. I went back and forth with them for quite awhile on one piece, and it was frustrating.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you adding security due to higher valuations on guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!