Is media coverage of "gun violence" desensitizing the public?

PDA

MovedWest
February 12, 2013, 12:28 AM
It's no secret that coverage of anything guns is blowing up in the media right now. The left is ranting for their cause, the right is ranting for theirs, and just about every media outlet is overflowing with coverage of it.

Facebook, Twitter, CNN, CNBC, FoxNews, TV news constant coverage and emails from NRA-ILA and other email chains filling our inboxes. Coverage of every gun shot being fired in the lower 48, not to mention New York's gun grabbing @^$&! of a governor doing what he did. Let's not forget the ex-cop on the loose in California freaking people out. It's nauseating.

How long before these reports become so normal that the general public stops being entertained by it? Until the sensationalism goes away? Interest of the target audience is what drives what the media reports on - not what's really newsworthy.

Could this current glut of media exposure be a rough spot that eventually works in our favor?

-MW

If you enjoyed reading about "Is media coverage of "gun violence" desensitizing the public?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
February 12, 2013, 12:52 AM
Fear sells.

somerandomguy
February 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
I actually think you have a fair point. When you asked that question my mind immediately went back to the tests that the military is doing with violent video games to treat PTSD. If you see something enough it desensitizes you to it...I don't see why hearing something repeated over and over again wouldn't do the same thing.

hso
February 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
The key to any effective propaganda campaign is to repeat a lie tied to personal emotions often enough and consistently enough that it becomes part of the operating assumptions in people's lives.

Godsgunman
February 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
It is nauseating how blatant they are at covering every little incident and making sure they flash a big picture of some form of firearm with investgation tape wrapped around it before the segment. I do believe, however, that their over coverage is starting to work against them. Last night my local news covered a story, if you want to call it that, of a teenager who had been injured by a ND but actually recovered and returned to school at the beginning of the school year LAST August. So just now I guess it is "news" that she is back in school and doing fine. Probably to the dismay of the media the teen said she didn't blame the gun and she is now an advocate for teaching gun safety, not banning them. So I personally believe it is starting to work against them.

SoCalNoMore
February 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
I actually think you have a fair point. When you asked that question my mind immediately went back to the tests that the military is doing with violent video games to treat PTSD. If you see something enough it desensitizes you to it...I don't see why hearing something repeated over and over again wouldn't do the same thing.
Very true, just ask anyone that lived in the mid-east for the last 40 years. My best friend from Lebanon told me when he was a child in school they would hear rockets and gun fire all of the time. No one really flinched about it unless there was a siren sounded. He remembers how he would have to take a longer walk home to be off of the main streets since that where shootouts would happen almost daily.

RaceM
February 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's not about desensitizing. Just the lame-stream media trying to keep the topic of "gun violence" up front in support of O's agenda. The sheeple have the attention span of gnats and are easily distracted. Note that the coverage is heavily lopsided toward the violence end, with few reports of citizens defending themselves or others except where the bad guy gets scragged and the citizen is accused of a bad shoot.

MartinS
February 12, 2013, 12:01 PM
"...Blood and destruction shall be so in use,
And dreadful objects so familiar,
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;
All pity choked with custom of fell deeds..."

Racinfan83
February 12, 2013, 12:26 PM
I think the OP has a good point. People pretty much get shot and killed most every day in St Louis. Always makes/made the news. But NOW - they make a bigger deal out of it. Hopefully it does work in our favor eventually....

Mosbyranger
February 12, 2013, 12:41 PM
Imho...the media is keeping the drumbeat up for gun control by covering every shooting in depth. Breathless coverage of the latest dead gangbanger that could have been prevented "if only" there were no nasty firearms.
MR

Coop45
February 12, 2013, 01:23 PM
A local tv station ran a story about a third grader in Michigan that took a gun to school. No bullets, no body got hurt. This was news in west Texas because.....? I asked them to please dial back on the emotional BS and just report real news.

jmace57
February 12, 2013, 03:48 PM
Heck....look at the post count on this board. It seems 10 times what it was last November.

Queen_of_Thunder
February 12, 2013, 06:09 PM
Yes and they have a tendancy to glorify it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is media coverage of "gun violence" desensitizing the public?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!