What do you do to get away from all this "gun drama"?

PDA

ShooterMcGavin
February 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
I am tired of all this "gun drama" in the news and in our lives. I am tired of hearing the arguments from both sides, and thinking about my counter-arguments all the time. I am tired of the lies and the inability to listen from the other side. I am really tired of having OUR rights attacked, constantly!!

Who else is tired of all the drama? More importantly, what do you do to escape all this "gun drama"?

Me? I won't even consider buying a basic AR-15 for $2,000, so... I have gotten into pocket knives. Additionally, I have focused on work and getting into the gym.

P.S. I am coining the phrase "gun drama" right here. It is an obsessive compulsion to highlight every single tragedy in the presence of a gun (one specific tool), by the anti-rights people, throughout the country, despite countless other, greater threats to our safety and lives, in the ongoing effort to deprive the citizens of freedom, individually and as a nation moving forward.

*ETA: I just thought about my post... This is possibly completely off topic, or even anti-topic :) If the mods feel that this does not belong here, I will understand it being closed or moved. No hard feelings.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do to get away from all this "gun drama"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
horsemen61
February 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
I go shoot to get away from it all just me and my guns its a great time.

ShooterMcGavin
February 12, 2013, 01:25 PM
I go shoot to get away from it all just me and my guns its a great time.
Thank you! You just put my thread back "on topic" :)

youngda9
February 12, 2013, 01:27 PM
Sounds like you've decided to throw up your hands and just give up the fight, which in itself is a small victory for the gun grabbers.

HoosierQ
February 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
+1 to pocket knives. Take some time off from the gun drama to learn how to sharpen a knife freehand. You won't regret it and if it takes you as long as it took me, by the time you get back it'll be all over...one way or another probably.

The media gets stuck on something and they won't let it go. Does anybody remember September 10, 2001? For about 3 months the media was stuck on the whole Gary Condit, Shadra Levy thing. Did the congressman kill the co-ed? Day in, day out. Then pow, blam, ka-chow, splat, the next day's events blew Gary Condit out of the news...forever...he never came back...ever. Some very minor mention of the fact that they actually caught and convicted the guy who actually did kill her couple years later.

I doubt guns come off the front page quite so quickly...but they might. North Korea seems to be working at taking center stage.

So I think time will reduce the gun drama a little or a lot...at least in the media and if we can get this crud off the TV...we've got a real good chance of getting some people to think twice about what they're advocating.

ShooterMcGavin
February 12, 2013, 01:30 PM
Definitely Not!
Sometimes, I just need to focus on something else for a bit. I am in this fight, but I can't be fighting 100% of my time. I just don't think it would be healthy to let it control the rest of my life.

Batty67
February 12, 2013, 01:30 PM
Air rifles! I got my son a basic Gamo in January and we shoot it in our backyard all the time. Great competition, but since he shoots LH and me RH, we cannot "share" his scoped rifle without me adding a lot of Kentucky windage. Solution: I'm getting my own (better, of course ;-) air rifle.

Love the convenience, cost, and lack of clean-up. Of course, I did put 100+ through my Sig 1911 yesterday...

ExTank
February 12, 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm NOT paying outrageously jacked-up prices for anything.

I also step away from the keyboard and off The High Road.

Don't get me wrong; I like and enjoy this website.

But it can be a bit of an echo-chamber at times.

I give the Mods and board Admin good credit for shutting down the CT'ers and chicken-littles with promptness, but it's still all there as "background noise."

Akita1
February 12, 2013, 03:07 PM
I am tired of all this "gun drama" in the news and in our lives. I am tired of hearing the arguments from both sides, and thinking about my counter-arguments all the time. I am tired of the lies and the inability to listen from the other side. I am really tired of having OUR rights attacked, constantly!!

Who else is tired of all the drama? More importantly, what do you do to escape all this "gun drama"?

Me? I won't even consider buying a basic AR-15 for $2,000, so... I have gotten into pocket knives. Additionally, I have focused on work and getting into the gym.

P.S. I am coining the phrase "gun drama" right here. It is an obsessive compulsion to highlight every single tragedy in the presence of a gun (one specific tool), by the anti-rights people, throughout the country, despite countless other, greater threats to our safety and lives, in the ongoing effort to deprive the citizens of freedom, individually and as a nation moving forward.

*ETA: I just thought about my post... This is possibly completely off topic, or even anti-topic :) If the mods feel that this does not belong here, I will understand it being closed or moved. No hard feelings.
Capitalize the term "Gun Drama" so you can enter it as a Wikipedia post, the dictionary follows!

Re: knives, have you ever looked into Randall knives? They make them here in Orlando but much like rifles & ammo, there is a 5 year wait when you order from them.

SoCalNoMore
February 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
I write letters to our elected officials, go to hearings to promote the 2a, debate with anti's and keep others informed since there are too many people that are complacent and do nothing and then will wonder why they high school drop out from homeland security is at their door asking them to surrender their firearms. Then, if I get time I go shooting with others that are active in making sure the rest of Americans don't lose their right to bear arms.

r1derbike
February 12, 2013, 03:13 PM
Enlan makes some good cutlery, but foreign made.

slamfirev10
February 12, 2013, 03:26 PM
down the CT'ers and chicken-littles

what are CT'ers?

rondog
February 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Conspiracy theorists?

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
Barbeque.. and guns.

Handgun popcans offhand at 50 yards shootoff!

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
Upon further consideration, if you got a Gerber Paul folder, well... you'd have a very fine folder.

etcher1
February 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
BBQ,Reloading,and (bite me Diane Fienstein:cuss:) my REPEATING CROSSBOW!

Walkalong
February 12, 2013, 05:23 PM
Don't watch the news or log onto THR? :D

c.latrans
February 12, 2013, 05:23 PM
I shoot archery to decompress. Just love the flight of the arrow, very relaxing for me.

NRAforLIFE
February 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
Most obviously a ruse at best. I'm ready for turkey and trout. I'm starting to scout and look for new spots. The TV will drive you nuts if you watch it every day. We're on Directv, so the high channels are a good option as well.

Ky Larry
February 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
My grandkids. My Yorkies. My large, extended family. A good book on history. Pellet guns. Baking. Reloading.Now that I'm off work, I'm busier than ever.

BHP FAN
February 12, 2013, 05:54 PM
Took out my Kentucky rifle on sunday, shot bull's eyes, cuttong ''8''s and clover leafs all around them on a nice almost windlass day.

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 05:58 PM
I shoot archery to decompress. Just love the flight of the arrow, very relaxing for me.
Very good point. Since some last injury or so, long ago, I've not loosed.

Big_E
February 12, 2013, 06:12 PM
While I like to shoot to get things off my mind, the scarcity of ammo and poor weather has kept me from doing that.

Lately, I've gotten back into other hobbies like car and home audio to spend my money on. I'm also thinking about trying to get a youtube channel going. Also, driving my new truck around makes me pretty happy.

Once I start finding more .22 ammo I will start plinking again. I don't want to expend my weak current stores of ammo. Especially with the prices of other calibers that I own.

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 06:22 PM
You could always get a bad motorscooter and ride.

thump_rrr
February 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
I went out and bought 2 more AR's and neither one was sold at an inflated price.
Actually A Stag 3G and a Noveske Gen 1 factory built lower.
I should be receiving them in the next week or so.

izhevsk
February 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
Not watch the news, or look at anything firearm related (THR included).

mljdeckard
February 12, 2013, 06:30 PM
I load up the quad and go look for desert where I'm unlikely to see anyone else. (With my sks over the handlebars.)

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 06:37 PM
I feed and watch the birds. Spring is/will be very early here this year. And rogue coyotes frolick in the garden.. true story, darn those critters.. though they don't hurt nothin' unless they're rabid/like chicken neck or the like.

SleazyRider
February 12, 2013, 06:47 PM
I am doing a total remodel on my house---kitchen, sheetrock, wiring, plumbing, trim, et cetera. I'm adding a set of sliders where there was previously a window, and adding a deck. New french doors going out to the patio. My wife and I live in two rooms, the rest of the house is torn apart. I sleep on the floor every night. Truth be told, I'm enjoying the project.

HoosierQ
February 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
You could always get a bad motorscooter and ride.
...all the way to Space Station Number 9!!!

Airbrush Artist
February 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
A Love Connection with the Wife But thats only twice a year...but that drops to One because She usually has a headache one of those Nights.

gym
February 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
I shop for guns. someone someware is selling something i need, I just have to locate it, lol

readyeddy
February 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
I also refuse to pay inflated prices. If I have enough guns and ammo to defend my home and go hunting, then I'm good for now. Gives me time to go fishing, catch up on books, work out, gardening, and work on my golf game. But I still keep up on the gun industry and gun politics so I can resume my favorite hobby when things are sane again.

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking a big ol' sammich. Dagwood was a .. lolz.

happygeek
February 12, 2013, 07:27 PM

Guns aren't your only hobby are they? I was into computers long before I even considered buying a firearm and they're not attacking me for owning a machine capable of committing piracy on a mass scale equipped with "hi-capacity" hard drives yet. They do pass stupid stuff like the DMCA sometimes, but most people just ignore them and carry on as before.

The gyms always a good one and if your knees aren't too old running is essentially free. 5Ks & 10Ks are by far the cheapest form of competition I've found.

allaroundhunter
February 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
Barbeque.. and guns.

This... I love to cook.... almost as much as I love to shoot. Fortunately, our shooting team gets help with ammo so I haven't been left without ammo for the most part.

I also agree with this. I have gotten my bow out a good bit more lately, hopefully when summer comes around I will be able to get a pig in close enough to the tree stand, after all this extra practice, I will be ready ;)

ol' scratch
February 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
I reload and shoot. I have lots of ammo on hand and 5000 pellets for my match pellet rifle. I have also increased my dry fire, weapons clearing exercises and magazine reloading techniques. I got sick of the arguments weeks ago. I stopped arguing and wrote letters to elected officials. Forget these people. Many are too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time. I do tune in once in a while now to stay informed, but I realized I was wasting a lot of time arguing when I could spend more time shooting. :)

floydster
February 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
I work in my woodshop and on my tractors---takes my mind off all the crap and how horrible our government is.

Smokeyloads

303tom
February 13, 2013, 10:36 AM
I go fishin.......................

jerkface11
February 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Got an electric smoker for my birthday so I cook something in it every couple weeks. And play this video game. http://gnomoria.com/

jamesbeat
February 13, 2013, 11:07 AM
I am also into pocket knives.

When not worrying about my 2A rights, I like to relax by making things.
I make all sorts of crap, but in particular I like to make replicas of the props from the original Star Trek series.
It's quite an absorbing hobby, involving metalworking, woodworking, working with plastics, sourcing obscure components etc. I had to make my own vacuum forming table for forming Kydex, which was an excellent learning experience.

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/828/imagelru.jpg

The fun can't last forever though, it's only a matter of time before they ban my high capacity phaser power packs...

JohnBT
February 13, 2013, 11:12 AM
Yesterday I put my Rohrbaugh R9 in my pocket and went fishing. It was warm and breezy, but the jumbo minnows we tried at first were sort of lifeless, so we switched to large chartreuse spinnerbaits. I only caught two fish. The first was about 2 pounds and the second was precisely 9.25.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/JohnBT3/925bassatolsens_zps3b6dfd06.jpg

ZeSpectre
February 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
The wife and I have "low tech" nights every now and then. We turn off all the lights, the computers, the tv, the phones.
Go for an evening stroll and the come home and light kerosene lamps (which I collect) and eat dinner by them, read books, etc.

I'm also fortunate enough to have Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest right in my backyard!

Also Respectfully Submitted, a link to my thoughts on this sort of fatigue: Thoughts on Activism and Fatigue (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=690308)

BigDaddyNEB
February 13, 2013, 11:31 AM
Reloading, cleaning all my weapons ( again ), teaching my sons how to squeeze a trigger with the penny on the barrel trick, and calling Wal-mart everyday for .22 LR.....

Tirod
February 13, 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't linger on boards as much. Pocket knives? I left them and moved TO guns to avoid the drama. It's even more juvenile on those boards.

Hot rods, or in my case, a kit car? More drama. The hobby is filled with wannabe's with more money than training or education, and the social pecking order is all about spending it on shiny stuff, not having a sorted out car that works.

You can find drama anywhere you go, what you have to do is simply turn off being attracted to it. Hopefully that will come when retirement income starts coming in, and I can focus on doing productive stuff with it rather than surfing the net and being assaulted by all the drama.

One thing is sure, I've made two rules about the kit - no CNC bling, and no car shows. In fact, no showing the car at all. Avoids all the drama.

jerkface11
February 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
What kind of kit car?

ngnrd
February 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
...all the way to Space Station Number 9!!!I would stop at Space Station #5....

Certaindeaf
February 13, 2013, 12:50 PM
I've got a neighbor who's father died some time ago. The thing is he doesn't care for his fathers hand tools at all. I've taken to refurbishing/rebuilding them when I see them lying around.. mainly garden type tools and axes (we share a garden plot). It makes me feel better and I've wound up with some extra mighty fine axes and whatall.
Garden time aproacheth!

ball3006
February 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
I just turn the TV off, make up a nice shaker of martinis, and sit out in the back yard with my cat......chris3

Ashcons
February 13, 2013, 02:03 PM
I don't watch the news (no cable or antenna, so no TV stations), so I haven't felt much in the way of burnout over this recent bout of activism.

It probably helps that life is busy raising a little boy and showing him and my wife lots of love, learning to be a better dad and husband, learning to follow Christ more closely. I spend 15-20 hours a week studying for the CPA exam.

Then there's our spring garden to plan and indoor seeds to start now and next month, veggies to can (potatoes this weekend for soups), fruit to dehydrate (yum), finishing my Raspberry Pi VPN server build, planning and building a reloading workbench in the garage, planning my concrete counter tops for our April kitchen remodel, fixing little stuff around the house, and saving side-money for my BHW 16" bbl so I can finally finish my AR-15 build. This paragraph is my list of weekend projects that get spare time when I have it. The concrete counter tops will jump to a priority once outside temps are more comfortable.

Sadly, I haven't had time to get to the range in months to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies. :( Nor have I had time to get out for fishing or hunting.

Airbrush Artist
February 13, 2013, 02:15 PM
Fixin my Boys Race Car when he Wrecks and Cornhole Art---https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/224556_2247475587696_5280572_n.jpghttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p206x206/421055_3370912192909_1506309602_n.jpghttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/253476_2080580695428_1842885_n.jpg

ShooterMcGavin
February 13, 2013, 04:14 PM
All this talk about other stuff is making me want to go out and exercise my .22s :)

Tob
February 13, 2013, 04:21 PM
I stare at all my brass until my eyes cross.

Ryanxia
February 13, 2013, 04:56 PM
I hear ya man. I've been involved in this "gun drama" almost every day for the past 2 months. Everyone needs a break (which doesn't mean giving up or slacking, just a break).

I've decided to read a few books that are completely unrelated to guns (well, they still have guns in them but that's not the focus).
Also the occasional video game is fun.

I took a few days not doing anything really gun related and it definitely helped me recharge my batteries. Upon coming back I already e-mailed my state and federal reps again urging them to oppose any further gun control. :D

LS240
February 14, 2013, 01:55 AM
Well I work a lot so that occupies much of my time. I also have a girlfriend who does the same. :p And guns are far from my only hobby. I'm also into cars, aquariums, and video gaming. So if I actually have time to kill I go for a drive or tinker with my aquariums and sometimes play a little Xbox.

BigBore44
February 14, 2013, 04:53 AM
Personally, I laugh at all the idiots on the news. My father and I get a huge kick out of them. Some moron will say something like "high powered sniper rifle" and my dad will say "Son, I want a low powered sniper rifle for Christmas". I mean come on.

These goons don't want a civil war on their hands. And there won't be a civil war. Our military will not fight it's citizens. Our police departments will not either. How many people in the military or law enforcement have family that own guns? Almost all! The president will NOT have the backing to make that declaration. Now the fight to keep any guns from being banned is a just cause worthy of a fight.

Here's an idea..... How about everytime you hear a talking head on the news make a rediculous claim about a gun, we flood that news organization with calls and emails and tell them how ignorant they are? I do it all the time. Then I go fling some "high powered" arrows into defenseless 3D targets.

Aaron1100us
February 14, 2013, 05:45 AM
Slowly aquiring more ammo and buying upgrades for the guns I have. I love building things or having projects, no matter how big or small.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Checkman
February 14, 2013, 06:19 AM
I meditate, do yoga and eat yogurt.

SiteManager
February 14, 2013, 06:50 AM
I turn things like this...

Into this...

mcdonl
February 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
Picking this up on valentines day warms my heart :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/colt2_zpsd9445719.jpg

But other than that just got my spring ride back from the shop... now it is time to start washing her in the garage, reserving rooms for Americade and other road trips...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/17f9eaf8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/cf991280.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/dad2468a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/96de34c2.jpg

Of course, I have to deal with THIS first :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/2013-02-09153519_zps34688398.jpg

RiverPerson
February 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
Someone abandoned three puppies behind my house, so I've been babying them for the past week.

Yup, I'm a sucker :banghead:

umadcuzimstylin
February 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
I don't! Here's how my typical day goes... For today example get to Academy at 4:22am to wait for a Colt AR-15 but there's already 3 people out there waiting in the 43 degree wather, so I go to another and another and now waiting at Walmart until 1pm or until they get get a shipment around noon.

soonerfan85
February 14, 2013, 12:32 PM
I watch MeTV. Shows like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Big Valley and Emergency.

On a side note, I've noticed the cowboys on these old westerns using hi capacity revolvers during shootouts, sometimes as many as 12 rounds without reloading. :eek: So it's almost impossible to get away from the madness.

I was gonna say I hack into the Emergency Broadcast Sytem and send bogus Zombie Apocalypse alerts as a diversion, but I chickened out.

soonerfan85
February 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
Guns aren't your only hobby are they? I was into computers long before I even considered buying a firearm and they're not attacking me for owning a machine capable of committing piracy on a mass scale equipped with "hi-capacity" hard drives yet. They do pass stupid stuff like the DMCA sometimes, but most people just ignore them and carry on as before.

The gyms always a good one and if your knees aren't too old running is essentially free. 5Ks & 10Ks are by far the cheapest form of competition I've found.
Several years ago I used to run a lot of New Orleans Track Club races. Couldn't understand why I kept GAINING weight. Then I realized it was due to all the jambalya and beer I was consuming at the after race parties. Tried swimming but that was too boring.

soonerfan85
February 14, 2013, 12:44 PM
Dang SiteManager, you built an AR15 style rifle out of an old barn? MacGyver who?

SiteManager
February 14, 2013, 07:07 PM
Yes.....Pretty cool huh?

Romeo 33 Delta
February 14, 2013, 08:33 PM
Reload ... doing a little every day. Helps me keep all things in perspective!

jwh336
February 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
I do many things, but it's difficult to do when it's constantly being pounded in my head.

What do I do for an escape? Take out my straight razors and hone or refresh the edges. It's a form of meditation me. I get really caught up in getting the sharpest and smoothest edge as possible. Of course shaving with them is equally rewarding. Shaving is an art form in my house. LOL

jamesbeat
February 14, 2013, 10:01 PM
I do many things, but it's difficult to do when it's constantly being pounded in my head.

What do I do for an escape? Take out my straight razors and hone or refresh the edges. It's a form of meditation me. I get really caught up in getting the sharpest and smoothest edge as possible. Of course shaving with them is equally rewarding. Shaving is an art form in my house. LOL
+1 another straight razor collector/user here...

hueyville
February 14, 2013, 10:56 PM
I have been doing a ground up restoration on an '88 Softail but got bored and built a big bullet trap. Sending 3,000 plus rounds through the shop past couple of days made me feel much better.

hso
February 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
Until the storm passes, this is all I do other than work.

Shinbone
February 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
Too cold to go to the range here. So the reloading bench is more comfortable. I have a full time job and also teach classes twice a week using Neil T. Anderson books Victory Over The Darkness and The Bondage Breaker.

Powerglide
February 14, 2013, 11:12 PM
I just retired from a corrections job of 20 years, so, I sit around thinking how stupid and deviant the lawmakers really are.They haven' a clue!

Muskyman
February 14, 2013, 11:49 PM
I go fishing, and grow the hottest peppers known to man. I have about 300 seedlings in my basement right now.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa364/muskymojo/pods022.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa364/muskymojo/fall2012012.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa364/muskymojo/aUCTION011.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa364/muskymojo/podsale027.jpg

Certaindeaf
February 15, 2013, 12:45 PM
I go fishing, and grow the hottest peppers known to man. I have about 300 seedlings in my basement right now.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa364/muskymojo/fall2012012.jpg

I've a table exactly like that. A very useful thing.
My gal is the pepper queen. I'm the mater king

Bianchi?
February 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
I go back to studying for college.

SleazyRider
February 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
Perhaps the best relief from the "gun drama" will happen tonight: Piers Morgan is now investigating the Carnival Triumph incident! Hopefully this will keep him busy for a while as he brings the same level of expertise and self-righteousness to this new endeavor. At least he will be off our backs---even if only for a day!

SniperJon
February 15, 2013, 02:14 PM
I've had to resort to shooting a lot of 12 gauge cause it's the only ammo that hasn't gone up in price and I can get anywhere...but the Saiga 12 makes quick work of it.

SSN Vet
February 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
I've written some letters and e-mails....
I'm reloading my little heart out....
I mostly stick to the more technical forums and try to avoid the dram theads.

Certaindeaf
February 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
Perhaps the best relief from the "gun drama" will happen tonight: Piers Morgan is now investigating the Carnival Triumph incident! Hopefully this will keep him busy for a while as he brings the same level of expertise and self-righteousness to this new endeavor. At least he will be off our backs---even if only for a day!
Uh, no. Don't you know that most all end users now are essentially their own Nielsen Box? I'd only "watch" that fellow were there six feet of earth involved.

chipcom
February 15, 2013, 03:15 PM
gun drama is my respite from kid drama. :eek:

76shuvlinoff
February 15, 2013, 05:06 PM
I got over-involved with defending 2A and guns in general. I got too angry to be reasonable. I did my thing with letters but then allowed myself to get sucked into some blog battles. It's time for a break.

So it's time for a new cam, carb and replace a starter clutch.

93" 76 FLH. My non-gun addiction for 18 years.

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/76shuvlinoff/Photo-0165.jpg

Barhopper edition

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/76shuvlinoff/100_0559-1.jpg

Arkansas Paul
February 15, 2013, 05:29 PM

I didn't have to "escape" the drama. I was prepared before it happened, so I don't have to participate in it.

Skribs
February 15, 2013, 05:35 PM
Most things that I do tend to avoid the topic. Most online gaming communities (where I spend the majority of my waking non-working hours) ban political discussions so as not to upset the playerbase. Work does to some extent, but that doesn't stop my anti coworker from complaining. So what do I do? I ignore her. That way we don't argue and the rant dies. (Although interestingly enough, she is one of the "cops are trained" antis, and yet the fact that she approves of a Middle Eastern woman taking back her honor by killing the man who took it with a gun and she recognizes the error of the recent LA police "stops" has not changed her position).

The only times I really see the gun drama are A) THR, B) NRA alerts (which I then send messages) and C) TV shows and movies. I ignore the politics in those and just have fun.

My latest escape has been the beta of the new Mechwarrior game, where I am wondering how it is that hundreds of years into the future we'll have machine guns that use ammo that weighs 500 grams per round (compared with <30g for a .223 cartridge) and yet is only accurate to 90 meters...comparing the 9x19, the .223, and the .50 BMG, I see that rounds tend to increase in range as the cartridge gets bigger.

OpelBlitz
February 15, 2013, 08:12 PM
Cool thread. I have several hobbies, but generally speaking I am working on spending more time with my wife and daughter.

But I also reload, like many of you, and I also engage in some table-top gaming.

I didn't have to "escape" the drama. I was prepared before it happened, so I don't have to participate in it.

What exactly does that mean?

Ignition Override
February 15, 2013, 11:04 PM
As in normal times, jogging on the wooded, dirt trails at Shelby Farms, north of the Wolf River .

A week ago it was warm enough to meet a friend on another guy's land east of Hernando. Sitting on the ground, shooting fragments of concrete blocks sprayed orange (on a dirt pile), from 120 yards with one of the Enfield #4s is always fun.

Cranky CJ
February 16, 2013, 01:40 AM
Holy crud 76shuvlinoff, who gets a table mc lift?? I barely got a pump up atv jack. nice real nice.

its been cold lately so been spending time reloading and kinda building/cleaning up the reloading area.

76shuvlinoff
February 16, 2013, 11:21 AM
Holy crud 76shuvlinoff, who gets a table mc lift?? I barely got a pump up atv jack. nice real nice.

Been spinning wrenches on that bike for almost 19 years now. I did a complete frame up overhaul on a pump up bike jack back in 04 after a wreck. I still have that jack but it's pretty worn out and I don't squat like I used to so the lift was a present to myself a couple years ago. I have two other bikes and the table has come in handy for other projects as well. I've even pulled up a chair and worked on guns with it. I added removable 2x10 treated planks to the sides of it.

Here I was installing a late front end on it for modern brakes and suspension. This old shovel is outfitted, geared, and tuned to run with the newer machines all day long. It irritates some folks :D

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/76shuvlinoff/Photo-0172.jpg

Ed N.
February 16, 2013, 12:04 PM
During the week, I like to pick up one of the guitars after I get home from work, turn the amp up to 11, and wail for a while. Some evenings I'll fire up the ham radio.

On the weekends, I have several diversions. Sometimes I'll take the Ninja out and spend the afternoon committing high-speed traffic felonies. Or go antiquing with my wife. Or go scuba diving with my son. Or grab a camera and go for a hike. Or a fly rod and go fishing. Or take one of our horses for a ride. Or get some farm chores done.

Lots of options.

justice06rr
February 19, 2013, 02:49 AM
To get away from the gun-drama, I usually step away from the gun forums. Then go do something fun or relaxing like skating, sports, reading, and watching movies.

hueyville
February 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
76shuvlinoff, I have an '88 Softail doing a full frame up restoration on the lift right now. Of course it is not messing up my shooting time. In fact, for the rest of y'all my shooting has not only remained stable through this entire mess. Since we installed the bullet trap at the shop I am shooting more than in a long time. I am running 300 rounds a day minimum here recently and had a couple of days where I busted caps on over a thousand rounds. Up until the trap which stops even full house 44 mag got done I was only shooting 150 rounds a week of center fire due to winter weather. Having the first bullet trap complete and the second magnum sized unit under construction I think my shooting habits may go back to where they were when I lived on my farm full time. I shot 500 rounds a day, five days a week back then. Last week I personally fired over 3,000 rounds of mixed calibers. Ran through 250 .45acp during lunch break today. Got another 150 in the range bag. I just have to decide, spend the time working on the new bullet trap, new lead pot to remelt all the bullets in the trap, work on the Softail or shooting the 45 after work.

Oh yeah, I have also been building a gazillion 10/22 custom rifles. Since center fire ammo has gotten so expensive and hard to find, a lot of guys are rolling back to their rim fires but want to do it in style. My wife let me buy a 60" tool room lathe, milling machine, Bridgeport surfacing machine and a lot of other bling for building motorcycles. I don't think she was aware that my Sharpe 60" lathe with DRO is the perfect size machine for reaming chambers, cutting threads, crowning barrels and many other tasks. Add the milling machine and the surfacing rig and I can true up a rifle barrel and action in top notch fashion. So now when I go into my machine room I have to flip a coin on whether I am going to build motorcycles or guns that day. Life is just so complicated.

Since someone has done started with the motorcycle pics and this is a what to do when you ain't shooting thread, here are my last two projects. First is a '73 Shovelhead and the second is a '78 that got chopped to pieces and put back together so that a new Evo crate motor and a six speed transmission would fit. I like my Shovels and how they look but I wanted this one to roll down the fast lane of the interstate like a late model Roadking with a big final drive cog, enough horsepower to turn that cog and cruise control. The final pic is the '88 on the lift. It has gathered some dust and not seen much love recently due to all the shooting and gun builds. Usually winter is bike building time.

http://www.coolclimbing.com/images/motorcycles/shovelhead/73_07.jpg

http://www.coolclimbing.com/images/motorcycles/1978flh/DSCN2536.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s1kl5u.jpg

nelsonal
February 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
I've been making a set of grips for my SAA clone. Got one almost roughed out (so I'm probably 5% done), and getting started roughing out the second. When I finish those, I'll start on a rack for coffee and some other little wood projects.

gym
February 20, 2013, 03:11 PM
I work out, 6-7 days a week, that also calms my nerves and keeps me healthy. Got down to 180 from 235, no real diet, just cut out alcohoal to a glass of wine, twice a week, and not eating for the sake of eating.
I still eat the same food but not as much. I don't need BP pills anymore or much else.With a bad back, taking off that much weight even at 6 foot tall, makes a world of difference in the management of the pain.
Now if I miss a day, I actually feel different, like when I was in competition body building, "as a young man", buy no heavy weights just a lot of cardio and light weights.
It's funny because some people notice it all at once, and ask if you got sick, "when heavy clothing is on" or "why do you look different", I just got lazy for 10 years and stopped caring about it, now I an used to doing it again, and it's just part of my day.
Plus nothing relieves stress or anger like a good work out. I found myself watching Pierce Morgan "at the gym", and ended that fast.
It's good to see the stomach gone and the biceps back, even in your 60's.
Also training my 5 month old yellow Lab, our other female passed after 11 years, "cancer", and she has been with us for 3 months now. A fulltime job, and one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen, "and we had 9 between us", this one was from a top breeder, she is just dam smart, actually can understand several words put into a sentance at 5 months, I think she's smarter than we are. Doesn't cry at night or whine to come in the bedroom, and after 2 weeks she stopped urinating indoors "at 8 weeks old", "with a urinary infection". Dog never pooped in the house, amazing.
Looking forward to every day with her, as she never ceases to amaze me, sat in the car as if she does it all the time, and never lost her balance.

Akita1
February 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
gym - excellent post; two great fruitful pursuits in health & dogs!

doc2rn
February 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
Archery, air soft, or just go ride my Harley.

76shuvlinoff
February 20, 2013, 07:38 PM
hueyville, nice bikes, I do have a newer bike, 09 Dyna, but I do love my old girl.

gym, I think you win, kudos.

Jaxondog
February 20, 2013, 08:00 PM
That's what I do, shoot and shoot some more. I really don't worry about what's going on with all the gouger's and rediculous hoarder's. I'm fortunate enough to have a few round's so I enjoy shooting paper, reload it and shoot some more.

abq87120
February 21, 2013, 11:48 PM
I spend a few pleasant hours reloading then go to the range to shoot them.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do to get away from all this "gun drama"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!