Pros and cons of this trade????

PDA

briney11
February 12, 2013, 06:37 PM
So I walked into my lgs today to pick up my Marlin model 60 that I had worked on. While I'm waiting I drooled all over a new Henry lever action .22lr. It was priced at $299. The owner wasn't there so I couldn't find out how much they'd give me in trade for the Marlin. I can't imagine it would be too much considering that they are typically had for less than $200. So what would e the pros and cons of pursuing this deal??? As far as the rifle go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pros and cons of this trade????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
splattergun
February 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
keep the Marlin. If you must have the Henry, add it to the collection.

chris in va
February 12, 2013, 06:53 PM
They'll probably give you $100 toward the Henry.

I have one, absurdly fun, much more so than the 60 I had years ago. You'll probably get more through a private sale, but will have to be patient and hope the Henry doesn't get sold.

Jackal
February 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
That Model 60 will likely be more accurate. I think you would be better off spending some cash on Tech Sights and a sling for that M60 than getting the Henry.

afponiky
February 12, 2013, 07:29 PM
^^^

I agree with that!

briney11
February 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
So what swivel set would you suggest and where would I get it for the Marlin???

Powerglide
February 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Keep the 60 and enjoy.The Henry will only make you wish you had the 60 back.Not saying the Henry is any way bad, they're not.

Jlr2267
February 12, 2013, 09:00 PM
Don't trade. Buy the Henry, then private sell the 60 if you decide you don't want it. You might decide you need both.

bigfatdave
February 12, 2013, 09:00 PM
Keep the Marlin, buy the Henry
$299 sounds like a Golden Boy or Frontier model. Make sure you try the fit of a basic Herny and a Golden Boy, they're entirely different stock angles. For me, personally, the H001 stock angle works perfectly, while the Golden Boy angle feels strange and uncomfortable.

For slinging up a Marlin 60, look at the info from Appleseed shooters

MedWheeler
February 12, 2013, 10:26 PM
Normally, I'd say let the 60 go (preferably to a private buyer), figuring they pop up all over and would be easy to replace. But, in today's market, I'm not so sure. I have a 10/22, and not a Marlin, but I would not trade it away for a Henry (and I really do want a levergun in .22LR.)

alman
February 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
I have a Glenfield 60 & a Henry . The 60 is very accurate & the Henry is remarkably accurate for open sights . I also like the fact that the lever gun will shoot shorts , longs & long rifle rounds . A great feature in these times of trying to find .22lr ammo . Tough call . If its an option for you keep the Marlin & buy the henry.....................

MistWolf
February 13, 2013, 11:50 AM
Put the Henry on layaway

Hokkmike
February 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
Bottom line - only you can decide. Good luck.

Furncliff
February 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
I have a couple of lever .22's a Browning and Marlin 39, both are good rifles but I shoot my Marlin 60's more. One I left stock the other is scoped and in a Boyds thumbhole stock.

LordDunsany
February 13, 2013, 01:12 PM
I have both. The 60 is my tin-can popper, the Henry is for squirrels and other pests. The bonus is that the Henry will accept and function with longs, shorts, and the various kinds of low-power Colibri rounds.

Don't get rid of the 60, and save your money for the basic model Henry (H001).

Ron in Texas

Roadking Rider
February 13, 2013, 01:33 PM
If you can afford to keep the Marlin I would, but if you can't I'd make the trade for the Henry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pros and cons of this trade????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!