My tumbler media concoction

PDA

billymarr
February 12, 2013, 07:47 PM
First let may say this I work at a wire manufacturing plant and the insulator we use to weld wire together is ceramic.

So I brought home a bunch of used insulators and mixed them with rice. Added 2 table spoons of dawn. all in my Midway Tumbler.

Threw in about 90 pieces of once fired GI brass let it run for 45 minutes and I had some very clean brass not shiny but clean.

Very pleased with my self now need to finish the other 100 pieces of brass. Re-size and prep.

If you enjoyed reading about "My tumbler media concoction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reefinmike
February 12, 2013, 07:50 PM
why dawn? does it leave a sticky residue? be sure not to get one tiny spec of ceramic dust on the casings or you'll scratch your sizing die up real nice. have you tried the tried and true walnut media and nufinish?

billymarr
February 12, 2013, 09:03 PM
I have used dawn to wash some really dirty cases with no problem before. I have not had a problem with dust from the ceramic sticking to the cases. Plus I do wipe them down with a soft cloth before re sizing.

billymarr
February 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
Oh es I have tried it but was out a while ago and started using rice as a quick fix and like it.

jcwit
February 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
Whatever floats your boat, but I'll stick with ground corn cob 20/40 grit shipped right to my door for less than 90 cents a lb. Plus its much lighter than rice, or walnut shells so you get more per lb. Think feathers versus lead.

If you enjoyed reading about "My tumbler media concoction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!