Ruger LCR vs Taurus pt145 millenium pro

PDA

Fat Boy
February 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Considering one or the other for defense, and concealed carry-

I like the Ruger for ease of use, and Ruger's reputation for durable, reliable guns. This model "fits" my hand pretty well, and .38 specials are still relatively inexpensive. Not much here to dislike.

I like the capacity of the Taurus, and the idea that I can buy a .45 acp carry gun for under $400. Concerns are the durability/quality of the gun.

If you have both or have shot both and compared, how is recoil from one to the other? I am working with these 2 as possibilities due to cost-

Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCR vs Taurus pt145 millenium pro" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobson
February 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
Haven't handled the Taurus. The LCR is very nice. Its light, small, and the trigger, in my opinion, is superb. The one I handled (my brother's) was very smooth, much nicer than I expected. I don't know if it wore in as he shot it or if they're like that right out of the box, but I know he didn't have work done to it.

I'd recommend the LCR. I'd like to get one for myself once other priorities are taken care of.

Don357
February 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
Can't speak for the LCR or the MilPro 145, but, I had a MilPro 140 and loved it. I've held a 145 and there's no noticable difference (to me) in size or empty balance or weight. My 140 was totally reliable and accurate.

Nimble1
February 13, 2013, 08:32 AM
Have not held or shot the LCR but my EDC is a PT145. I bought it used and have put hundreds of rounds through it with no issues at all. I also have a 24/7 in 9m/m with no issues.
I do understand that some have had problems with Taurus and bad mouth them but it does not take much looking to find that all manufactures have problems.

Fiv3r
February 13, 2013, 09:21 AM
I've had an lcr in .38 special for over 2 1/2 years and I love, love this little gun. Granted, there times I prefer to have the capacity of my Glock 26, and there are times when the slim little lcp is all i can easily conceal, but I have no qualms carrying the lcr. The trigger is as good as you have heard right out of the box. The only complaint i could see is that the camming mechanism has the trade off being prone to short stroking the trigger while rapidly firing the gun and not letting it reset. I think has more to do with the smoothness of the action than a real issue.

As far as durability of the lcr, if used in the designed role of a light carry gun that isn't run through the wringer every single range trip and isn't fed a constant diet of super duper hot +p, I don't see why it wouldn't have the famed Ruger longevity. I think they tested the gun with 10,000 hot rapid fire +p rounds before it stretched the frame, and I believe the gun was still within spec to fire.

Will it last like an sp101? I doubt it, but it won't pull your pants down either;)

premier1
February 13, 2013, 08:20 PM
Well you are really talking about 2 different animals here, a revolver in 38sp. and an autoloader in 45acp. I do own the Taures PT145Pro. As far as durability I've owned mine for 3 years without any problems. I will say however it is not the easiest gun to shoot. The trigger has along pull and you really have to hold it on the target and get lots of practice with it to be proficient. What attracted me to the PT145Pro is just what you said the price. The Ruger is a nice revolver I did try one out, but I purchased a Taures 85S instead. I had Rugers in the past and they are good solid no frills workhorses, but I like the Taures snub better.

gamestalker
February 14, 2013, 12:38 AM
I have several of those Taurus's and a few other models as well , but none in 45 ACP. Mine are all 9mm's and .40 cal. and all work flawlessly round after round. Accuracy is definitely good to great. And my Taurus's get run pretty hard with full tilt hand loads. I did have a recoil spring assembly let go on me the other day in one of my PT111's, but the more I think about it, the more I think it was human error during break down to clean it, and not a part failure, per say. My Son enlightened me a bit more today regarding that spring failure and thinks he actually broke it when he was assembling it about a week ago.

As for Ruger LCR, what's their to say, it's a Ruger and it's made to withstand many years / rounds of use. I have owned a good number of Ruger's, and in fact just bought a new one 2 days ago. They're built to handle just about anything you put through them.

If it wasn't an economics choice though, I would go for the Ruger hands down as my first choice over a Taurus, just because.

GS

GS

Spdracr39
February 14, 2013, 04:38 PM
My taurus pt145 milleneum pro is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Comfortable to hold and small enough to carry. I love 10 shots per mag. Haven't shot the LCR but it is next on my purchase list.

mdauben
February 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
I have not had any first hand experience with either gun, so I won't comment on reliability, accuracy or recoil. In general terms, I would rather have a compact 45 with a 10-shot or even 6-shot magazine than a 5-shot .38 revolver if I ever needed to use my gun but people successfully defend themselves with compact .38 revolvers all the time, too.

If you are only going to buy one gun, I think the question you need to answer for yourself is if you can and will carry an IWB gun like the PT145 100% of the time or do you need the ease and convenience of pocket carry in order to not leave your weapon sitting at home when you are dressed up, or just need to run out to the corner store for a carton of milk? A gun will do you no good if you don't have it with you. ;)

Fat Boy
February 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
If you are only going to buy one gun, I think the question you need to answer for yourself is if you can and will carry an IWB gun like the PT145 100% of the time or do you need the ease and convenience of pocket carry in order to not leave your weapon sitting at home when you are dressed up, or just need to run out to the corner store for a carton of milk? A gun will do you no good if you don't have it with you.

This is part of my thought process-

I like the convenience of the little Smith as described, but also like having several rounds available in a sizable caliber if in a worst case scenario push comes right down to shove- That is part of the appeal of the Taurus; it is small enough to (seemingly) be easily carried yet meets the other criteria. However I also want a gun that will be reliable and durable- Taurus has a bit of a bad rep. on this point.

fxstchewy
February 14, 2013, 11:23 PM
I almost bought a PT145 but i checked to see if i could buy a couple extra mags and i could not find them anywhere, called taurus and they said they were on backorder and didn't know when they would be avail. deal breaker for me.

Trent
February 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
PT145 is an excellent, and inexpensive gun.

Durability and quality are great. I've hammered mine at the range and haven't had any issues. I even talked real nice to it and it fires semi-wadcutter jacketed hollowpoints just fine (I got a deal on them... not your usual 45 ACP food). Those won't feed at all in an XD and they even jam my Glock up about 3% of the time.

10 rounds of 45 in a firearm that's small enough to fit entirely in your jeans pocket? I was in love at first sight.

I thought the short barrel would be a drawback, but on the contrary, it's easily capable of lethal accuracy out to 25 yards, and point shooting out to 8 yards is spot on.

EDIT: One downside, recoil and muzzleflip are a touch hard to master. This is NOT a gun for kids or thin wristed women.

(My 15 year old son tried it out, it hurt his scrawny wrists, so went back to shooting the other 45's.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCR vs Taurus pt145 millenium pro" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!