Concern about credit card fraud, possible Hidden link?

PDA

Ignition Override
February 13, 2013, 01:18 AM
The question is here because Mastercard called us to cancel both of our cards because of this $12.00 order.

Are there illegal links to many normal websites, allowing illegal access to card numbers? Possibly a phantom, duplicate website?

The order was for some ".303 British snap caps" from a company over two weeks ago.
Somehow it required me to either enter my credit card number Twice, or maybe just the expiration date (or # on the back) twice. Can't remember which.

I'm reluctant to mention the company, and don't want to libel them as inadvertently having a hidden link (or security glitch) which I don't understand at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Concern about credit card fraud, possible Hidden link?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LordDunsany
February 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
I would post the particulars, mainly to warn others ordering from this company of a possibly compromised shopping cart system. Without additional information this post doesn't really help anyone. Issuing a warning is not libelous.

Ron in Texas

HOOfan_1
February 13, 2013, 01:21 PM
Yes, it is called phishing. But websites can also be hacked, servers at a restaurant can steal your card number. There are plenty of ways to get your card number. Always make sure when you are ordering something that the checkout page is secured though.

Z-Michigan
February 14, 2013, 12:40 AM
I've had a number of CC fraud issues in the last year, and understand that it's becoming a lot more common quickly. And I protect my cards very well, apart from using them to buy things.

Xfire68
February 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
My Master card has been hacked no less than 4 times in the last 3 years.

Once for $1600 for a number of items all over the USA and $600 of it in the UK for Soccer Jersey's.

One of the others was Airline tickets out of Dubai.

The most recent was what I call a feeler charge to see if the card holder is paying attention to the charges being made. It was for $14 for some "Peanut Products" in Minnesota?

taliv
February 14, 2013, 12:55 AM
sorry, but off topic

If you enjoyed reading about "Concern about credit card fraud, possible Hidden link?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!