Which .22lr autoloader?

PDA

tonytuna
February 13, 2013, 02:27 AM
I will be buying a .22lr pistol in 2 or 3 weeks. Wondering which I would be better off with. Not sure on what to buy, but here's a list of my choices.
If you own one of these, what are the good and bad things about it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which .22lr autoloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
February 13, 2013, 02:29 AM
What list?

tonytuna
February 13, 2013, 02:53 AM
I meant to use the poll as my list.
But my list is either the;
Walther p22
Ruger sr22
Issc 22
Or the Sig mosquito

ColtPythonElite
February 13, 2013, 03:01 AM
I have experience with the Walther, Ruger and Issc. My buddy has two Walthers. They feed fine, but are not accurate enough for my tastes. Another friend has the SR22. It had to go back to Ruger because its slide galled and caused misfeeds. It is back now and stii misfeeds a bit. I also do not consider it all that accurate. A third friend bought the Issc. It misfed more often than not. He traded it off quickly....FWIW, I directly saw these problems and am not just going on what I was told.

CajunBass
February 13, 2013, 05:19 AM
None of the above.

For my money the only 22 semi's worth looking at are the Ruger MK III/22-45 (or any of the "Marks". It really doesn't matter.) or any of the Brownings. I'd add the High-Standard and Colts to the list, but they're out of production.

I've looked at all the ones you mentioned except the ISSC (I've never even heard of that one.) and they just look and feel like cap guns to me after using and handling the ones above. I suppose if you just want a "toy" they'll do, but I don't look at them as serious guns.

ColtPythonElite
February 13, 2013, 06:02 AM
I agree that the Ruger MKs or Browning Buckmarks are the only way to go. Each normally feed flawlessly and is exceptionally accurate. The Brownings generally have a better trigger right out of the box. However, a $25 Volquartsen sear will bring the Ruger trigger up to par.

carbonyl
February 13, 2013, 06:04 AM
I bought the SR22 about four months ago and have well over 2000 rounds through. I've shot Remington Golden bullets, Winchester Super X, Thunderbolts, CCi Stingers and Velocitors without a problem. I bought a brick of Federal American Eagles with the gun and had some problems with the slide picking up the next round. After firing the gun a few thousand times I still had a few hundred of the problematic American Eagles and this time they cycled perfectly. I love the looks, feel and accuracy of this pistol. It's a great quality piece I just wish 22lr ammo wasn't so scarce.

Swami
February 13, 2013, 06:27 AM
Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK series; the others are a good bit "below" these 2.

bannockburn
February 13, 2013, 06:37 AM
Another vote for E) None of the above. I have had considerable experience with the Walther P22 and would not go that route again. My choice for a .22LR semi-auto would be a Ruger Mk.II or Mk.III, a Browning Buckmark, or a Beretta Neos.

MedWheeler
February 13, 2013, 08:24 AM
I wanted a Ruger SR22 for a while, but never got one. Recently, I came across a FEG of Hungary Mk-II AP22 imported by Interarms back in the late nineties. It's solid steel, very deeply blued, and fun to shoot. It's a rimfire version of FEG's popular PA-63, which comes in 9x18 Makarov (and I think in 9x17mm/.380ACP.) Because of this acquisition, I'm no longer looking at the Ruger. I do already own a Ruger Mk-II, and have had it since 1987.
But, of those on your list, the SR22 is the one I'd go with. The Walther and the SiG have had too much negative publicity for me, and the ISSC is (for me, at least) too "Glock-like" in appearance; Glock pistols just never seemed to "fit" my hands and grip.

tuj
February 13, 2013, 08:59 AM
none. Buckmark or Ruger MKIII.

ID-shooting
February 13, 2013, 09:21 AM
Another nod to the ruger standard or MK I-III. Many accesories and options. The Standard (pun intended) by which all others are judged.

mljdeckard
February 13, 2013, 09:26 AM
I have my dad's old Mk I, it is hammered but still runs, I will likely make a project out of it. The one I shoot most is my Ciener conversion on my Kimber frame.

Of those you have mentioned, I am not familiar with the issc. I have shot the Walther and the Sig, neither is a true reflection of its bigger brothers. I had heard that the Ruger was supposed to be the better version of those, I have not yet tried one.

Fiv3r
February 13, 2013, 09:28 AM
I have a Ruger mkiii that has been a loyal companion. However, out if the one's on your list I would go with the SR22. Just personal preference.

I'm actually hoping .22 is available again soon so I can shoot some more. If i can get my hands on some ammo, the SR22 is on my next-to-get list. Seems like a light, fun little gun to shoot:)

OldBrownDog
February 13, 2013, 09:45 AM
Browning Buckmark, even though it isn't on your list. I've had one for a little over a year with better than 5000 rounds through it. It was more accurate than I can shoot it right out of the box, and thereis a good choice of aftermarket accessories from companies like Tactical Solutions. You can add new barrels, grips, compensators, etc. I've shot a Ruger Mark II and really liked it. If I didn't already own a Buckmark, I'd have bought one. Can't go wrong with either. From your list, Ruger SR22, but there are better choices.

Orion8472
February 13, 2013, 09:54 AM
I feel like I answered the question correctly. . . . since only ONE of the 4 options has any votes on it. hehehe

Anyway, yeah, SR22 if you are stuck with those options. My only semiauto 22lr pistol is a Ruger Mark II. I've shot the SR22, and though it was pretty good, it couldn't ever compete with the Mark pistols. Even my mom's plain tapered barrel Mark III [stock] shoots excellent groups. Just FYI

Sav .250
February 13, 2013, 09:56 AM
With a "short" list you`ve left out some other 22`s that should be in the mix. That`s a fact. More "learning" is needed on your part. Opinions are just that. Some are good no doubt but can lead to confusion as to what`s the best.

harvester
February 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
Ruger MKIII Target.

mjw930
February 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
I agree with the MKII / MKIII comments, I have one of each but in the list I like the SR22, which I also own.

I've owned the P22 and it's a feels like a cheap toy compared the the SR22 and had a nasty habit of spitting out screws and roll pins. I traded it on a nice MKIII 22/45 Lite.

The Sig is nice but not worth the money and the ISSC is a Glock clone 22lr with none of the Glock's reliability.

paravil
February 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
Voted SR22. My brother has a P22, friend has the Ruger. While they're of similar size and function, the Ruger is much higher quality. Feels substantial in the hand, functions better, and is far more accurate. I own a 22/45 and love it. As others have said, handle a 22/45 and a Buckmark before deciding.

kokapelli
February 13, 2013, 11:50 AM
For me 22lr pistols are for fun shooting and the SR22 is by far the most fun to shoot.

tonytuna
February 13, 2013, 12:14 PM
I've thought about the browning buckmark, but wanted something similar to my other "semis". This will be a range gun.
I guess the sr22 is the winner based on my poll, with the mk3 and buckmark right behind it.
There isn't much to choose from now at the LGS, so I'll have to wait for the next gun show and see what I kind find.

Teachu2
February 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
Just bought a Browning 1911 .22. It's a 80% reproduction of a 1911, and appears to be a quality gun. I have to get to the range with it this weekend...

PGT
February 13, 2013, 12:34 PM
I agree that the Ruger MKs or Browning Buckmarks are the only way to go.

this. everything I've read about the Walther, Sig, etc led me to buy a Mk III 22/45 LITE. I LOVE the looks of the Mosquito and P22 but they don't appear to be the best made things out there.

va1911
February 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
Ruger 22/45 in some flavor

returningfire
February 13, 2013, 12:48 PM
Sig Mosquito.
You should think about cleaning any of these before you buy, which is easiest to field strip?

wlewisiii
February 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
Find a nice old Colt Woodsman. Yes, it will cost more than any of those. It, unlike them, will be worth every penny.

Inebriated
February 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
From the list, the Sig Mosquito. Yeah, they had reliability problems, but if you feed it ammo it likes, you won't have problems.

In general, the Ruger MKII/III 22/45 is hard to beat. But I wouldn't have a problem taking a Sig Mosquito.

CB900F
February 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
Fella's;

One that made my list but isn't on the poll: SIG 1911-22. I haven't had it for a long time, but in the time I have owned it, I'm very happy with it. It's a GSG with SIG's name on it, but that means some nice extras too.

It's very faithful to the 1911 platform & would work as an outstanding transition gun. It came with three different height front sight blades to help with adapting it to your particular ammo & shooting. A tool kit is also included that gives you the Allen keys to make sight adjustments and for field stripping. It is a little different in take-down of course. It's not a recoil operated link, it's a blow-back. The grips are really nice stippled wood, not plastic.

It's just a nice, accurate, and so far dependable, semi-auto .22 that's outside of the ordinary envelope of canidates. I say; Try it, you'll like it. Oh, and the price was under $400.00 last summer.

900F

MCgunner
February 13, 2013, 04:32 PM
I own a Mk 2, great gun, very accurate, but when I go fishing, it's the SR22 I slip in my pocket. It's not as accurate, but it's accurate enough. Got a 2x LER on the Mk2. It's a squirrel gun, primarily.

Different guns for different jobs. The SR22 has no zinc alloy, is 2" at 25 yards accurate, and feeds and fires everything I've tried in it so far. I've only got about 4K rounds through it. I've been living in a travel trailer for 4 months, finally closed on the house, set up my shooting range in the back yard, now I cannot find bulk .22LR anywhere. :rolleyes: Until you can actually buy ammunition, you might consider cap and ball, or maybe a Judge. Plenty of .410 on the shelves and I've not had a problem buying pyrodex. :rolleyes:

rvanpelt
February 13, 2013, 09:08 PM
My grandson has a sig mosquito which is kind of picky on the ammo. It does shoot Remington goldens pretty well. My wife and I shoot the Ruger SR22 and love its accuracy, dependability , styling, workmanship, shoots cheap bulk shells, easy to strip, oil and clean. No complaints or regrets...well, maybe one. I wish I had one of my own. LOL A real fun gun to shoot.
Try before you buy if you can. How it fits your hand is important.
Hope this helps.
Rod van Pelt

Pud
February 13, 2013, 09:19 PM
Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK series; the others are a good bit "below" these 2.
+1
Pud

jon_in_wv
February 13, 2013, 09:32 PM
The Ruger Mark pistols are excellent. I found a good deal on a Sig Trailside and that is my go to range gun. It has been a great shooter.

weblance
February 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
Others to consider that are excellent as well... Beretta Neos, Bersa Thunder 22, S&W M&P22, and if you want small, and just a blast to shoot, Taurus POLY PT-22

TennJed
February 13, 2013, 11:37 PM
this may be the most lopsided poll i have seen on here

Tomcat47
February 13, 2013, 11:54 PM
Ruger SR22 ... bought one last year, one neat little accurate firearm!

Had Beretta Neos and 2 Walthers .... Sold Them! My Walthers did not come close to the SR22

I highly recommend the SR22 for a shooter in this price range of autos!

chrisb507
February 13, 2013, 11:56 PM
Depending on what you're looking for, a Sig P226 Classic in .22lr might fit the bill. It's a full-size gun you can upgrade to larger calibers, where the Mosquito isn't.

JoePfeiffer
February 14, 2013, 01:16 AM
I'll chime in with a vote for (e) -- in my case, Buckmark URX. Feels great in my hand, accurate, not as big a pain to disassemble for cleaning as Ruger Mk III is reputed to be.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Fremmer
February 14, 2013, 01:20 AM
Browning buckmark, no experience with the others, but the trigger is good and it is easy to assemble after cleaning.

ColtPythonElite
February 14, 2013, 01:44 AM
The MK is a very simple design. Reassembly is not a big deal once you master the angle of the dangle of the hammer strut.

nazshooter
February 14, 2013, 02:25 AM
One option I haven't seen mentioned is the M&P 22. I don't own one yet but it's on my short list of guns to get when things calm down a bit due to it's being the closest thing to a standard striker fired pistol. I've currently got a mkii and don't ever plan to sell it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Nappers
February 14, 2013, 02:48 AM
I like the Mark

I had a MKII but my brother hawked it. My father in law has a MKI with a bull barrel that shoots like a dream. I have a High Standard that shoots just fine. Tune those mags though!

candr44
February 14, 2013, 11:40 PM
CZ Kadet.

Hardtarget
February 15, 2013, 12:59 AM
I voted Ruger because I've had one since '66. A gift from my parents. Also, my wife and I gave MKII guns to my sons a few years ago.

Make the effort to learn how to dis/re assemble when it needs cleaning. Thats the main complaint I hear about the Ruger guns. Also, make the effort to find the ammo that functions reliably. You know how .22s are. :D

Mark

Hondo 60
February 15, 2013, 02:12 AM
I have no experience with the guns on the list, so I didn't vote.

The one I DO have experience with, is the Beretta Bobcat.
It took FOREVER to break in, (probably close to 1,000 rds) but now it runs like a champ.
I was to the point of almost selling it, cuz it kept jamming. (FTExtract)
But the last 4 or 5 times I had it to the range it fed & extracted just fine.

I still have to cock it before I can rack the slide.
But other than that it works great now.

col_temp
February 15, 2013, 05:44 AM
I Like my S&W M&P22 but I really use it to warm up with before I switch over to my 9mm.
As others have said watch your ammo with whatever you decide on. The 22 semi's all seem to be a bit picky about ammo.

ColtPythonElite
February 15, 2013, 12:52 PM
I have 5 MKs. They will eat any ammo I put in them.

weblance
February 15, 2013, 01:15 PM
The Beretta Neos eats all ammo as well.

kokapelli
February 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
I have 5 MKs. They will eat any ammo I put in them.
I only have one MK and it is pretty reliable, but does not like some of the cheaper ammo while my SR22 eats everything and I just have more fun shooting the SR, and it is way easier to clean.

I think the poll pretty much says it all.

As someone posted earlier this is the most lopsided poll I have ever seen.

CB900F
February 15, 2013, 04:16 PM
Fella's;

I had a Beretta NEOS, but it had problems. Beretta wasn't interested in making it right & I wasn't interested in keeping it.

900F

kokapelli
February 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
By the way, I had a Walther P22 and it was a piece of junk compared to the SR22.

VegasAR15
February 15, 2013, 04:26 PM
Out of the list I would go with the Ruger. I am also interested in the S&W M&P22. Over all of them I would go with a Ruger MK type.

ColtPythonElite
February 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
This poll needs an "other"option.

powwowell
February 15, 2013, 08:46 PM
Ruger SR22. No contest.

meanmrmustard
February 15, 2013, 08:55 PM
Ruger SR22.

I don't like the Mark Series. Hard to take down, and really don't emulate any other gun I own with which to practice. I like a .22 to be as close to a carry gun as I can get for cheap practice purposes.

Buckmark, blah.

Walther P22? Not SR quality by a long shot. Nice, but not quite as much.

Ruger is owning this.:)

osteodoc08
February 15, 2013, 10:18 PM
My P22 has been flawless with CCI ammo. That being said, I voted SR22. Aluminum slide vs Zinc Alloy. The SR22 wasn't around when I bought my P22. Checkout the Smith M&P22 if wanting a tactical type pistola.

Grunt
February 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
I wonder how this poll would have gone if the M&P22 had been an option. I own both the SR22 as well as the M&P22 and I can say that would be a tough choice!!!

hey_poolboy
February 15, 2013, 10:36 PM
I have an sr22 with only 600 or so rounds down the tube so far. If I could get more ammo it would have more.
Anyway, I wanted a mkIII 22/45 but went with the sr because I though it would be easier for my daughters to shoot and operate. It really is fun to shoot. Do I wish it was a little more accurate? Yes, but it's not supposed to be a target pistol. One day I'd still like to get the mkIII, but the sr22 fit the bill at the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bill3424
February 15, 2013, 11:49 PM
Ruger SR22.

Coal Dragger
February 16, 2013, 05:56 AM
Buy a S&W Model 41, pricey but damn nice!

JamesKelly
February 19, 2013, 06:59 PM
Ruger Mark II accurate.

Browning 1911 A1 .22 cute little pocket pistol, reliable.

Still, the Ruger is a Real gun.

WaywardSon
February 20, 2013, 08:32 AM
Had a P-22 and could not get rid of it fast enough. Junk IMO

My two Ruger Mk II target models are going nowhere.

PGT
February 20, 2013, 08:44 AM
I really want to like the Walther because it looks fantastic. Everything I've heard and read is that one should steer clear. :-/

kokapelli
February 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
I really want to like the Walther because it looks fantastic. Everything I've heard and read is that one should steer clear. :-/
Where could you have possibly got that idea, wait maybe this poll?

If 89 to 8 in favor of the SR22 over the Walther might be a hint and personally I like the looks of the SR22 better than the Walther, although I have never purchased a pistol based on how it looks.

WaywardSon
February 20, 2013, 10:04 AM
I too really wanted to like the Walther. It looked good and felt good in the hand. However after multiple FTFeed with various ammo, coupled with the fact that the front sight fell off three times in less than 100 rounds, I sent it down the road. Traded for a NIB Ruger 10/22 with a nice walnut stock. Straight up.

MassMan
February 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm with you Coal Dragger, the Ruger and Browning are nice guns but the S&W 41 is definitely the way to go if finances allow it. Also, I'm surprised it took so long to mention the S&W 41.

tuj
February 20, 2013, 03:01 PM
If you've got the bucks for a M41, you've got enough for a used Pardini SP, which is a superior target pistol to the M41 in every respect.

springer99
February 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
As a general purpose, very accurate and rugged .22RF, I don't think you can beat the Ruger Mk series. Sure, their triggers aren't the best but there are many after-market options to improve that, and then they can even hold their own on most bullseye ranges. The S&W 41 or the older HS models are other good ones; just alot more money for not alot more performance IMHO.

I don't consider the P22 or the Skeeter to really be pistols at all. Just inexpensive copies and look alikes of CF combat firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which .22lr autoloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!