Colt Army 38 spec

PDA

Gullwing
February 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
Have just aquired a Colt Army 38spec rev s/n 396819 with a barrel length of just over 4 & 1/2" from muzzle to front of cylinder, blued. wood, hand made non orig grips. Could anyone advise year of manufacture, & also where an orig pair of grips ( or modern exact copy ) could be purchased, Many thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Army 38 spec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
February 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
Try www.gungrip.com . Their Number G14 is exactly what is on my Army Special and should be correct for your gun, which was made in 1915.

The original grips were hard rubber which becomes very brittle with age; the new ones are plastic, much better and more practical.

FWIW, any Official Police grip will fit OK as they are the same frame.

Jim

silicosys4
February 13, 2013, 06:24 PM
I just ordered a set of walnut grips from Numrichs for my Army Special. They fit pretty well..

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Colt-33188/Revolvers-35751/ArmySpecial-37993.htm?page=4

I did try gungrips.com, but the pair they sent me were for something much smaller, they didn't even come close to fitting. Not saying they don't have the right grips, but the ones I received were wrong.

Gullwing
February 14, 2013, 06:23 AM
Thanks for your replies, most useful and very welcome.Much appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Army 38 spec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!