Les Tam Sling, what's best Riveted or Sewn Keepers

PDA

Rockrivr1
December 27, 2002, 05:32 PM
I received an email from Les to call him to get my specifics on the sling. He gave me the options available and I'd like to know what you all think is the best option, Riveted or Sewn keepers?

He also asked, "Be ready to tell me if you want the upper sling keeper (loop) to be made to fit either 2 or 3 layers of leather." I'm not exactly sure what the differences are here. Any advise?

Thanks,
Troy

If you enjoyed reading about "Les Tam Sling, what's best Riveted or Sewn Keepers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
December 28, 2002, 01:15 AM
Sure!

On keeper fasteners. Riveted is stronger and won't rot either. The rules used to allow only sewn, but now riveted is ok.

On size of keepers. If you plan to use the Jim Owens style of rigging a sling, you need them to accomodate two thicknesses. I believe that the cuff style needs three thicknesses (ask Les). Most leather sling users shout start out with the Jim Owens style, and then decide if they should start rigging a cuff sling. The larger keepers will only cost a few bucks if you wish to change. when the sling comes, I can help you rig it.

Rockrivr1
December 29, 2002, 10:10 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the great advice and the offer to help me set up the sling once it arrives. I appreciate it.

I'll be calling Les on Monday to give him my specifics.

Troy

K38
July 20, 2005, 02:00 PM
Les is a Prince in my book. He will include both sorts of keepers for very little extra. He intervude me on the 'phone for 20 min. so that my AR 15 sling would fit me. He uses original sling hardware from old GI slings. As a big guy I don't think I could have gotten a sling to fit anywhere else. As far as I know his sling is considered the very best service rifle sling anywhere.

Cheers

Dwight

30Cal
July 20, 2005, 02:15 PM
I would go with the keepers for 2 layers. The USMC way (Jim Owens), really is the way to go.

Ty

Rockrivr1
July 20, 2005, 03:20 PM
WOW, how did you find this post from 2002. lol Actually I went with the riveted and I've used the sling several times in Highpower matches. It works great!

30Cal
July 20, 2005, 03:39 PM
Hahaha, I didn't even noticed that someone had dusted this one off!
LOL

Ty

If you enjoyed reading about "Les Tam Sling, what's best Riveted or Sewn Keepers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!