2 3/4 or 3 inch slugs

PDA

ldlfh7
February 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
Title says it all. What are the pluses and minuses of both from your experience? Shooting out of a single shot so I know recoil will be a force to be reckoned with but thats ok.

If you enjoyed reading about "2 3/4 or 3 inch slugs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ront
February 13, 2013, 05:38 PM
I generally keep my HD shotgun loaded with 2 3/4 as my wife shoots it also. A little less recoil.

Ron

Waywatcher
February 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
3 inch slugs generally increase velocity, which can be a plus or minus.

For well constructed sabots, increased velocity means a flatter trajectory and longer range.

For cheap lead foster slugs, the increased velocity means an increase in the fragmentation range, generally a bad deal. Foster lead slugs tend to blow up at high velocity, and still lose stability and accuracy at long range like their lower velocity counterparts. They are so un-aerodynamic that the increased velocity doesn't really increase their effective range; it just increases their short range fragmentation range. Even "standard" velocity foster slugs already blow up at short range. The new Federal deep penetration slugs, you will find, actually have less than standard velocity.

In a nutshell: 3 inch sabots=good, 3 inch rifled slug= not so good.

LUCKYDAWG13
February 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
when i deer hunt i use 3" Remington copper solids they just
shoot reel good out of my 870 in my HD shotgun 2 3/4
Remington slugger buy a few boxes see what works best
in your shotgun

If you enjoyed reading about "2 3/4 or 3 inch slugs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!