Ammo shortage easing or not?

PDA

dbp
February 13, 2013, 09:55 PM
7/31/2013 Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip expanding Box of 25

This is the estimated delivery date for MidwayUSA. I wonder if Hornady won any of those recent govt. bids for ammo?

Almost six months before they are available again??

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo shortage easing or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
February 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
The 1000 rounds of Tula 7.62x39 I ordered on 12/21/2012, is now back ordered until 09/23/2012.

They had my order in stock, and I did in-fact receive it a couple days later, but I checked later that same day, and they were back ordered until June.

Point is, they developed a 6-month back-up in a matter of hours. If I had to guess, I'd say a good portion of the shortage is manufacturers filling those initial orders, in addition to their outstanding orders.

But if you're looking for that particular ammo, the local Gander Mountain had plenty a couple days ago.

miamivicedade
February 14, 2013, 08:19 AM
I shopped at midway twice. Never will again.

mdemetz
February 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
I wonder if Hornady won any of those recent govt. bids for ammo?

A Word on Availability (http://www.hornady.com/support/availability)

SaxonPig
February 14, 2013, 08:37 AM
1. General panic. Folks are buying everything in anticipation of possible federal regulations.

2. Localized panic. Folks in gun unfriendly states like CA, MA, CT etc. who are looking at real laws restricting ammo purchasing/possession are stocking up like mad.

3. Many new gun owners who bought their first gun as part of the panic buying spree are also stocking up on ammo.

It will eventually get better. I suspect there will be no major new laws at the national level. The states that are screwing their citizens will get on with it and they will stop buying because they have enough or because the illegal laws will stop them from buying more.

Production will catch up, supplies will start flowing and inventories will increase. But I am certain that prices will drop but never return to pre-panic levels. Why should they lower the price on 22 ammo back to $22/brick after we have demonstrated a willingness to pay $50-$150 for it? I look for 22 LR prices to settle at $28-$30.

dbp
February 14, 2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the link. I guess they have been bombarded with inquiries and decided to address the situation. It just amazes me when I stop and think that they are running the production lines 24/7 on some product and still can't make a dent in demand.

Folks, that's a lot of ammo that is out in the hands of the citizenry!!

MagnunJoe
February 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
I have a Wild Card 4 U... Things will get better -ammo wise- in about 6 months only IF we don't have another mass shooting in this country. If we do, hold on 2 ur hats because things will get even worse.

psyopspec
February 14, 2013, 09:29 AM
Not. At least not yet. The industry internet chatter/rumors says we're looking at months for supply to catch up, and maybe end of the year for prices to come down.

SpazC
February 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
Stuff is still coming in. Just slowly.

When people say it will take months to catch up, they are talking about this scenario:

*I decide I want to shoot, I go to my LGS/Walmart/ Sporting Goods Store, and they have EXACTLY the brand and QUANTITY I want.*

We all are having to adjust our shooting habits, but ammo is still coming in.

Picked up 3 Boxes of CCI Mini Mags this morning at WM. There was 15 left when I was done. Plus a couple Stinger Bricks.

Last week bought 2 boxes of .223, left 10 more for some other folks.

They had Federal 9mm and .22 bricks in last week.

Grassman
February 14, 2013, 11:34 AM
Dang it! I was five minutes late on scoring 1000 rounds of .22 LR at Gander mountain this morning.:banghead::banghead:

CoRoMo
February 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
You know how... when you go to Disneyland, Six Flags, etc... and the line for the big roller-coasters is so long that they place signs along the line that indicate the wait time? I remember standing in a line at Six Flags and the sign at the end of the line told everyone how many hours the wait will be if the line is out to that sign.

Of course, if there were no line, we could walk all the way up to the front and get on the ride, but there was a line and the wait was going to be hours in that line to get on. All those hours waiting in that line, the coaster kept chugging along and riders got their turn one after another. They didn't slow down the ride, they didn't stop the flow, they didn't divert the running coaster to others who didn't wait in line. The truth was... it was just a long line, a long wait, and it was going to take a long time to serve everyone in front of me before I could get my turn.

The line you are standing in is six months long. You are not at the front of that line simply waiting for the manufacturer to make your ammo. You are way, way back in that line. There are people in front of you who are getting their ammo because they got in line before you did. There are a lot of people in front of you in that line and they will all have to wait too. They will all get their ammo and the line in front of you will grow shorter and shorter. Eventually it will be your turn and you will get your ammo, but you are in a long line and it will take six months before all the orders in front of you are filled before your order is up to be filled.

G21NE
February 14, 2013, 12:16 PM
Agreed, COROMO, and add to this the fact that there are many more people in line than there ever was, and each person is buying more at one time than they ever have....

Queen_of_Thunder
February 14, 2013, 12:25 PM
One must not forget that ammo is also a target for those wishing to undermine the Bill of Rights.

9w1911
February 14, 2013, 12:30 PM
I would not ramp up production or hire anyone new much less buy new machines, I would however just produce at my max capacity, try to keep demand for my products high through availability. One thing which concerns me for small manufacturers is to be hurt by the expansion should the climate change.

mdauben
February 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
This is the estimated delivery date for MidwayUSA.
I just recieved a notice that MidwayUSA had gotten some WWB .45ACP in this morning. I jumped on and ordered a couple hundred rounds. Would have ordered more but I was a bit short of cash this week. Not sure if its still there or not, but it seemed to be a pre- or near pre-painc price. Kudos to Midway! Now if they would just get some CCI .22LR SV in for my MkIII!!! ;)

Zardaia
February 14, 2013, 04:18 PM
Not easing yet. I've seen some popular calibers hit the shelves localy, but it's always gone bare again within days if not hours. Things will get better, but I think the new normal will still end up a bit higher than pre-panic.

85win
February 14, 2013, 07:13 PM
It's not easing at all. In fact people are now beginning to hoard 40 and 45 FMJ ammo (as well as .357). All wiped clean at my local big box LGS and they had ton's of it last week. I think people are afraid it's going to end up like the 9mm and .22 and they are buying just in case.

MagnumDweeb
February 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
Sit back and wait till December. I've got a 3D printer kit I'm building. I've successfuly fired some blackpowder rounds I made for my STI Spartan (yes I reloaded the primers as well), and have successfully fired homemade blackpowder in my ASM manufactured CVA 1858(or 51 don't know) cap and ball pistol. Took up casting and reloading in a big way and once or twice a month I go to Walmart I snatch up some ammo.

If your hurting for ammo I feel you so if you have to hunt hunt then.

Joshua M.
February 14, 2013, 07:57 PM
The shortage of '08-'09, I didn't need any .40, but there wasn't any around here anyway, but plenty of 9mm...Fast forward to '12-'13, plenty of .40 around, but would like more 9mm, and there ain't any around here.:banghead:

Trent
February 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
I was at Big R last night picking up a gun, and they had the supply semi offloading; the guy working the sporting goods counter said "yeah we've finally got some 223 and 22 coming in!"

I said "oh really...."

We got to talking and they had *1* brick of 22 that they were splitting up to sell by the box, and *2* 500 round cases of 223 they were doing the same with.

Sigh.

That's not a resupply. That's just a tease.

heeler
February 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
It's very bad indeed for those that did not resupply before the big O reclaimed the throne of the kingdom.
I talked with a guy just last night that bought a new Glock 27 two weeks ago and still can't find even one box of 40 cal. at local stores in the big city of Houston.
Was looking for some .22 ammo and at no less than seven online places I use there was not one box to be found.
I have never seen anything like this before.
Of course if one truely gets desperate you can always go on GunBroker,but we all know what that means cost wise.

Sav .250
February 15, 2013, 10:19 AM
The supply seems to be good . The problem is, folks snatch it up as soon as the clerk opens the box. Gone in 60 seconds! That`s what happens at my local Wal-Mart.

Keepmvng
February 15, 2013, 11:23 AM
The Homeland Security Department wants to buy more than 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition in the next four or five years.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/14/why-is-department-homeland-security-buying-so-many-bullets/#ixzz2KzAMM2kq
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/14/why-is-department-homeland-security-buying-so-many-bullets/

Also noted:
The Homeland Security ammo buy is not the first time the government's bullets purchases have sparked concerns on the Internet. The same thing happened last year when the Social Security Administration posted a notice that it was buying 174,000 hollow point bullets.

Why does the SSA need hollow points??

Don't expect any real relief for a few years.

Keepmvng
February 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Another interesting read:

http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchases-21-6-million-more-rounds-of-ammunition/

"To put that in perspective, during the height of active battle operations in Iraq, US soldiers used 5.5 million rounds of ammunition a month. Extrapolating the figures, the DHS has purchased enough bullets over the last 10 months to wage a full scale war for almost 30 years."

Crashola
February 15, 2013, 11:41 AM
I've been trying to catch up on some reloading and I'm simply perplexed by some of the stuff that's suddenly unavailable. I was looking online for new 30-06 brass and many places are out of stock. Bullets? Popular weights in 7mm and .308 are out of stock too. Are people hoarding this kind of stuff too? Or are the manufacturers shifting more of their capacity to the stuff that is flying out the door?

Bobson
February 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
I was at WalMart last night. While I was there, they got a fresh shipment in and stocked the shelves with 9mm, 40S&W, 7.62x39, .223, and some random others. Only thing they didn't get in was 22LR - couree thats what I wanted to buy, but oh well. Stuff may be short but its still out there.

pty101
February 15, 2013, 11:50 AM
I think a lot of the backorder dates are so far away because they have no idea of what they can get and how much at the moment. Its kind of luck of the draw right now. So you can place a back order if you can and hope its in stock soon. I have been purchased critical duty at a LGS within the last month.

12many
February 15, 2013, 12:08 PM
I think it is easing up and there is more supply. It will just take time. As with any product, if everyone buys at once, all the supply is gone. Same with Gas. The station and local supply is not enough for everyone to go to the gas station and fill up over a couple days.

I think in a couple weeks the ammo supplies will be getting back to normal.

Did anyone see the article about the large government orders? That is a bigger concern to me.

captain awesome
February 15, 2013, 06:14 PM
I don't think it is yet. I called 3 gun stores today looking for some slow burning magnum pistol powder (just a pound) to load some rounds for my javalina hunt next week and not one of them had any powder at all. Guess I will have to settle on using some Unique.

stinger26
February 15, 2013, 07:11 PM
Stopped at my local Wal-Mart this morning, the man behind the counter was stocking the shelves. They just got in some CCI Mini mags .22LR, .38, .45. 9mm, etc. I bought three boxes of the mini mags, got my dad who was with me to buy three boxes to because of the limit. Then an older fella behind us bought three of em. So I'm pretty sure those went pretty fast. Stuff is slowly trickling in over there though.

My closest local gunstore has quite a bit of ammo and guns and seems to get stuff pretty frequently.

Capybara
February 15, 2013, 09:11 PM
I bought 1200 rounds of 7.62x39, 2k rounds of .22LR and 1k of small pistol primers today, it is loosening up a tiny bit.

shafter
February 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
2. Localized panic. Folks in gun unfriendly states like CA, MA, CT etc. who are looking at real laws restricting ammo purchasing/possession are stocking up like mad.

Not in the shops I visit. They're short on anything semiautomatic but ammunition of all types is available at reasonable prices. 45acp is $20/box and 22LR is available in bulk packs as cheap as $23/brick. The shortage isn't effecting me very much. Somehow these shops are getting ammo shipments regularly. It goes quick but maybe I'm just lucky in my timing. I think the more gun owners a state has the more severe the shortage of ammo (obviously).

Queen_of_Thunder
February 16, 2013, 02:36 PM
Tell me where you are at so I can come visit and buy some ammo. I make daily trips to my local suppliers in hopes of finding something. Today all I could get was one box of of 5.66. Some days I don't find that much.

Yankee John
February 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Cabela's has .45 acp for $25 a box and 9mm for $15 a box in-stock for ordering.

I found (3) boxes of Federal 50 round 9mm at my local WalMart yesterday.

Trent
February 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
Went to a gun show today in Bloomington, IL.

PLENTY of ammunition.

EXTREMELY high prices.

I didn't see ANYONE buying ammunition at the prices I saw.

Surplus non-reloadable 308, being offered for over a buck a round. Lake City 223, same thing.

It was horrible.

Batty67
February 16, 2013, 06:06 PM
I got lucky and scored some 9mm and 45 ACP from Dicks and Walmarts after nothing for a month. Thought it was getting better. But two weeks later I'm 0-6 on those trips, though the Dicks actually had .223 with a 3-box limit. But I don't own firearm that shoots it. Both Walmarts I checked yesterday were 95% empty, and what they had was a few boxes of obscure ammo types.

I've twice skipped on chances to buy 9mm and 45 from Natchez, reputable brands, so if you are patient you can score ammo. And I do believe it is getting a tiny bit better.

When it does, I'm going to invest a grand or so in ammo...

Sniper66
February 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
Went to a Gun Show in Kansas City today, followed by a trip to Cabela's. The Gun Show had some .22LR ammo at very inflated prices. Few months ago I bought Federal ammo, a box of loose 525 rounds on sale at Cabela's for about $18. At the gun show it was $55. Saw some Winchester Wildcat for $70 a brick and Blazer for $45. I did not see anyone buying it. At Cabela's the shelves were picked clean of all .22LR and all bullets, powder, and primers. At the Gun Show, there was a long line at the one dealer who had lots of reloading stuff. His stuff was priced on the high end, but not gouging like the .22LR ammo. The crowd was huge; biggest I have ever seen at that location. The panic is definitely still alive and well.

santanzchild
February 16, 2013, 06:20 PM
Went to a Gun Show in Kansas City today, followed by a trip to Cabela's. The Gun Show had some .22LR ammo at very inflated prices. Few months ago I bought Federal ammo, a box of loose 525 rounds on sale at Cabela's for about $18. At the gun show it was $55. Saw some Winchester Wildcat for $70 a brick and Blazer for $45. I did not see anyone buying it. At Cabela's the shelves were picked clean of all .22LR and all bullets, powder, and primers. At the Gun Show, there was a long line at the one dealer who had lots of reloading stuff. His stuff was priced on the high end, but not gouging like the .22LR ammo. The crowd was huge; biggest I have ever seen at that location. The panic is definitely still alive and well.

And that is why I didn't even bother going out to the expo center today. Figured it would be a panicked nightmare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Anmut
February 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
Stuck my 22lr in my AR and hit the range today - and SCORE! Someone had shot up a box of .45acp and left the brass laying all over the place.

MagnunJoe
February 16, 2013, 06:43 PM
Not in south Florida.

ThatFatGuy
February 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
I still have plenty of ammo, takes me about 30 minutes to fully recover and release another load. :neener:

Queen_of_Thunder
February 16, 2013, 07:49 PM
We have a gun show in NM next weekend if their Gov. doesn't outlaw it first. Hope to trade 5.7 ammo for dome 9mm,.40 cal or 45acp. Hate to say it but I see republicans crumbling in the face of some silly democrats.

Warp
February 16, 2013, 08:19 PM
Picked up 3 Boxes of CCI Mini Mags this morning at WM. There was 15 left when I was done. Plus a couple Stinger Bricks.

Last week bought 2 boxes of .223, left 10 more for some other folks.

They had Federal 9mm and .22 bricks in last week.

So last week when you went in they only had 240 rounds of .223, total?

Trent
February 16, 2013, 08:47 PM
Queen of Thunder... you HAVE 5.7 ammo?

I have 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP.

Shoot me a PM if you want to trade ORM-D stickers in the mail. We can work something out. :)

Jimbo53
February 16, 2013, 10:53 PM
Was able to buy a case of Golden Tiger from SG Ammo last week and a case of WPA from Aim both in 7.62x39. Supply seems to be coming back a little anyway.

BSA1
February 16, 2013, 11:51 PM
Ditto 85win people are now beginning to hoard 40 and 45 FMJ ammo although I object to the term “hoard.” However 85win made his post before Obama’s declaration to disarm as many Americans as possible in the next four years. I was in a Gander Mountain a couple of days ago and one of the clerks also told me that things are starting to get much worse as their customers are now buying up all of their 40 and 45 ammo.

12many I wish you are right about ammo supplies getting back to normal in a couple of weeks but I think you are off by 88 weeks when the elections come up again for the Senate and the House.

It may have been a banic before Obamas State of the Union address but now an all out call of war on all gunowners.

And just wait until Obama starts signing his executive orders…

michaelbsc
February 17, 2013, 12:21 AM
Was able to buy a case of Golden Tiger from SG Ammo last week and a case of WPA from Aim both in 7.62x39. Supply seems to be coming back a little anyway.

I also bought one of those cases from SGAmmo, but noted that they clearly stated last time at this price ever.

I didn't think that meant it would be cheaper next month.

Mac2
February 17, 2013, 12:51 AM
This is the exact reason I "roll my own". I have primers and powder. And just yesterday scored 5000 Lg pistol primers from a dealer friend of mine for "regular" price. Also found powder from Graf & Sons that was in stock, regular price, but their shipping dept was behind X 3 weeks. It's mine and will get here. I cast my own also, with about 700# of ingots on hand. We can still shoot without breaking the bank. BTW my reloading bench does not have a 3 box limit. I have been reloading for 30+ years. We shoot a lot and have never given a second thought about ammo availability. Store bought ammo is crazy right now, but my bench is chugging right along.

Ignition Override
February 17, 2013, 01:17 AM
In West Little Rock last Wednesday, more than a dozen ammo 'flavors' were available at Bullseye on Markham, on the left wall.
The staff are nice people.

The Russian 7.62x39 listed for about $8-9/box and the manager told me that the limit was three boxes per customer.
They had several rifles in the AR config., but being a milsurp metal/wood guy, did not check which types or prices.

thump_rrr
February 17, 2013, 10:00 AM
I support Hornady with my hard earned dollars and they do right by me as far as I'm concerned.
I needed a couple of small parts for my press so I called last week.
In 3 minutes my call was answered and 5 minutes later I got a confirmation e-mail for my order.
I still haven't recieved the e-mail that the parts have shipped so it remains to be seen how much of a backlog they have on their press parts.

Jimbo53
February 17, 2013, 10:08 AM
I don't think it will be cheaper next month either. In my situation I've reached the max I'll pay for 7.62x39. I"ve been stocking up for the last 3 years have enough to last a while. Eventually if they don't mess with imports, prices and supply will stabilize. As far as prices not being this cheap again ever, ever is along time and my Magic Eight Ball is cloudy this morning

clutch
February 17, 2013, 10:20 AM
I just wonder what is going to happen in the Spring. A lot of people don't do a lot of target shooting when they live in the snow belt and may not be paying attention yet.

I was able to score a 1# of IMR-4895 yesterday and 1500 LR primers. I saw some CCI SV and RWS Rifle .22LR on the shelf but I passed on it. I'm in fairly good shape with ammo and components.

I might have to finally work up loads for some of the rifles I've been neglecting, I have components for them I purchased years ago and never made it around to doing.

Something new always seemed to grab my interest. This may be the year to get around to shooting something in the back of the safe.

Clutch

bill3424
February 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
I don't think anything is better right now and prices will stay higher for a bit. I must be jaded because I looked at receipts from 1991 on how much I paid for my 9mm and .223 ammo.:banghead:

MagnunJoe
February 17, 2013, 03:58 PM
Just got back from 2 superwalmarts in south Florida and nothing but clay killing shotgun shells. 2 places that up 2 a few months ago always had plenty of ammo in just about every offensive caliber u can think of, & nothing. No 9mm, no 223 no 45, 40, 38p or 357. Nothing.

dbp
February 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
When it does, I'm going to invest a grand or so in ammo...

And that thought multiplied by thousands of shooters is exactly why we are in the predicament we find ourselves in. It is your prerogative to do so and if you need it then by all means go for it. But please don't complain about supplies being tight.

22-rimfire
February 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
A grand or so doesn't really buy much when you're talking centerfire ammo. That's kind of sad when you think about it. But that would be about 25,000 rounds if buying promotional bulk pack 22 ammo at regular prices.

Warp
February 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
A grand hardly gets you anything. :(

Even before the panic that would get you maybe 3,000 rounds of 5.56x45. Since June of 2012 (8 months) I have fired over 2,000 rounds of 5.56/.223. Extrapolate that out and you get an almost perfect 3,000 rounds in one year. For one person. Through one rifle. Not to mention the other firearms I shoot.

And many people shoot a lot more than I do. For them $1k might buy 1-2 months worth of ammo.

And that's without getting into competition or professional shooter's round counts/schedules.

mrvco
February 17, 2013, 11:16 PM
Most of my LGS's have range ammo in bulk now, I'm just not crazy about spending $500/1000 for 9MM or 40S&W FMJ's.

TheOld Man
February 17, 2013, 11:33 PM
I had planned on spending a nice quiet time at the reloading bench while snow and ice was all over everything. I ordered powder, primers and bullets in January. Still waiting. One thing, I have plenty of brass so I'm good there.

Agsalaska
February 17, 2013, 11:52 PM
I found 22 hornet and 6.5x 55 tonight at Bass Pro in Grapevine Tx. I'm not a big range guy so I bought enough for this year only. They had 30-06 and 270 but no 243 or 223. The only pistol rounds they had were the oddballs like 327 fed and 454 casull.

They had almost no pistols and revolvers other than Taurus and some single actions. No semi auto rifles at all including 10/22.

I hope some of this means there are more new gun owners. I have to think it is. Guys like us are not going to crazy prices for pistols or rifles when we already have them. These are new gun owners buying the guns, and everyone buying the ammo.

Speaking of 22 hornet. I found a ruger 77/22 for 299 last week. I was in a big gunshop in DFW and everyone was over looking at the marked up(and rightfully so) ar's and Ak's. At the other end were the used bolt actions. I spotted it, played with it for about a minute, and snatched it up. It was a recent trade in I am sure. I am aggressively shopping for those deals right now. I think lots of these guns are coming in on trade for high cap pistols and semis. I hope to find some more good deals during the craze. They are out there if you are looking for what everyone else is ignoring.

Spymaster
February 18, 2013, 12:04 AM
7/31/2013 Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip expanding Box of 25

This is the estimated delivery date for MidwayUSA. I wonder if Hornady won any of those recent govt. bids for ammo?

Is it easing, no! Its going to only get worse, I feel many of us are lost in denial as to whats unfolding.

http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/1919321?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

Ignition Override
February 18, 2013, 12:59 AM
Military 30-06 ammo and the Garand "Battle Rifle" might not be cool, but...
People can still join the GCA, or send it other required paperwork, and buy a nice Service Grade Garand from the CMP.

They will still sell to you, if you qualify, the correct fast-burning M2 Ball ammo with non-corrosive, reloadable primers for .50/rd.

Their M-1 prices have not changed, except for about $25 in the last year for a Service Grade.

texasgun
February 18, 2013, 02:24 AM
not getting better here in the Seattle/WA area.... the new Walmart in Factoria has only shotgun shells (for clay) and some odd revolver calibers.

ZERO 9mm (heck, not even JHP), ZERO .45 (not even JHP) and two 20rd boxes with .40 Defensive rounds.

I think it's actually getting worse... back in January you could at least buy defensive rounds in 9mm, .45ACP and now even that stuff is gone.... :rolleyes:

izhevsk
February 18, 2013, 08:47 AM
While the Walmarts around here have been hit or miss in terms of ammo being in stock, at least one of the local gun shops consistently has many boxes on shelf. Much of the ammo there is overpriced to be sure, however the .40S&W I've been buying whenever feasible is still reasonably priced. Every time I go in there I hold out hope for small rifle primers - no luck on that yet.

leprechaun50
February 19, 2013, 04:17 PM
I just scored 1k large pistol & 1k small magnum primers at a rural Mn. gun dealer today. Also 2 boxes of .45 & two .357. Had only a very small selection of bullets and powder for reloading though. Prices were reasonable.

Constrictor
February 20, 2013, 07:45 AM
I just recieved 10k winchester small pistol primers i ordered at the first part of january.

Sav .250
February 20, 2013, 07:49 AM
At this point in time I`m not sure it`s a shortage .Rather, folks are buying more often and buying larger amounts.

Warp
February 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
At this point in time I`m not sure it`s a shortage .Rather, folks are buying more often and buying larger amounts.

It's a shortage.

But a shortage need not be a result of supply decreasing. An increase in demand can very easily generate a shortage. Such is the case here.

c4v3man
February 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
Have a guy driving an hour and a half each way just to grab 2 bricks of .22lr at roughly $40 a brick (my cost on some standard velocity match Aguila rounds). So no, I'd say it's not easing yet. It's not as bad as it was a month ago, but it's still bad.

MagnumDweeb
February 20, 2013, 03:46 PM
I was in a LGS right near my house and I could get Blazer Aluminum Case .45 ACP for 22.99 a box of 50. Some greybeard bought up the last four boxes of 9mm at 17.99 per box of 50. They had plenty of .45 left, .38 Super and .357 Sig, and .40, and 10mm. But 9mm and .22lr was gone in less than twelve hours they told me.

The owner told me it is starting to get better but he doesn't think he'll be able to justify getting the .45 Aluminum Case under $20.00 a box of fifty for another three months. For this time and info I bought two boxes of .45.

Walmart, I found out from a friend of mine who just made assistant manager, is not upping their orders to meet demand. They are keeping their order amounts the same they were before the panic. So it's not that it's not coming in. It's that everyone is snatching it up as it comes in.

Constrictor
February 20, 2013, 03:53 PM
there are a lot of folks buying more than they need so yeah, there is a shortage. Makes me mad i cant get what i need.

xfyrfiter
February 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
Just checked on CMP site, it seems that 308 and 22lr is available, 22 has 120 day lead time but 308 is in stock.

627PCFan
February 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
Not this again. Its all IDIQ vehicles. They arent out buying that many, but they want the contract vehicle in place if they wish to buy that alotment.

alsaqr
February 20, 2013, 04:07 PM
The Lawton Wal-Mart on Quanah Parker had Tul Ammo .223 and Tul Ammo .40 this morning at 07:00.

acarmine
February 20, 2013, 04:13 PM
I found this site a couple days ago during my regular perusing of reddit's gun related subs.

www.gunbot.net

Its an online ammo aggregator, shows PPR, total cost and Stock status from a bunch of online ammo dealers. Still under development but a valuable resource during times like these.

Queen_of_Thunder
February 20, 2013, 04:42 PM
Just checked on CMP site, it seems that 308 and 22lr is available, 22 has 120 day lead time but 308 is in stock.
A 120 day lead time does equate to "in stock".

Warp
February 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
there are a lot of folks buying more than they need so yeah, there is a shortage. Makes me mad i cant get what i need.

Every individual gets to determine how much they 'need'.

It's not up to us.

dbp
February 21, 2013, 12:28 AM
Had this on e-mail notification with Midway. E-mail came through at 7:03, but I was out until 12:00 and missed my chance. Next order due in a month. No, I don't see this ammo situation getting any better.:mad:

Attention

Sorry, it looks like we've already sold out of this product! Please sign up for another notification if you want to be notified next time we receive inventory.
Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 25
Product #: 388966 Hornady #: 90250 UPC #: 00090255902501

Read 26 Reviews
Write a Review
Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 25
Enlarge Zoom in

Watch video for this product
Product detail of Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 25
Product detail of Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 25

$18.99
Out of Stock, No Backorder ?
Date expected in stock: 04/01/2013

justice06rr
February 22, 2013, 01:23 AM
Walmart, I found out from a friend of mine who just made assistant manager, is not upping their orders to meet demand. They are keeping their order amounts the same they were before the panic. So it's not that it's not coming in. It's that everyone is snatching it up as it comes in.

I would agree with that.

I stop by Walmart a couple of times a week in the morning as I get off the night shift. Talked to the clerk on the sporting goods and he said there are like 9 people waiting in the morning to see what ammo they have coming in, and that is before I get there at 730am.

Its not easing up anytime soon, and not until people calm down with panic buying. We have to let the supply catch up with demand, and be patient for the meantime.

DeadMoneyDrew
February 22, 2013, 01:49 AM
Dick's Sporting Goods is now rationing ammo - 3 boxes per customer per day. I actually scored 3 boxes of 9mm there last week, after having visiting 4 or 5 times in the past month and come away empty handed.

So....no, the shortage isn't easing. I'm hearing unconfirmed rumors about manufacturers having already maxed out their 2013 capacity.

Trent
February 22, 2013, 11:59 AM
.... LGS looks like a Russian Bread Line every morning ...

dbp
February 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
Dropped by Sportsman's Warehouse earlier this morning for things non shooting related, but thought I would check ammo section while I was there. It was even worse than I had expected. There were 4 boxes of 10mm available and that was it.

It's not getting any better that I can see.

frankenstein406
February 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
ammo will be on the shelf for one day before its sold out. people are buying as fast as it can be stocked it seems

jrdolall
February 23, 2013, 10:27 PM
I can drop $1000 on ammo in a month easily. We shoot $250-$300 worth of .22 every month but can't o that right now because I would be out in two months or so. Throw in the AR, the AKs, the SKS, the hunting rifles and umpteen pistols and we blow through some ammo.

I can afford it with no problems and could afford to double what I spend. I am fortunate that money is not really an obstacle for me. Driving to every LGS twice a week as well as WM probably costs me that much in gas anyway.

dbp
February 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
I can drop $1000 on ammo in a month easily. We shoot $250-$300 worth of .22 every month but can't o that right now because I would be out in two months or so. Throw in the AR, the AKs, the SKS, the hunting rifles and umpteen pistols and we blow through some ammo.

I can afford it with no problems and could afford to double what I spend. I am fortunate that money is not really an obstacle for me. Driving to every LGS twice a week as well as WM probably costs me that much in gas anyway.
So what's your point as it relates to this thread?

XD Fan
February 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
I am starting to see more, but at ridiculous prices.

Spymaster
February 23, 2013, 11:13 PM
I am starting to see more, but at ridiculous prices.
Ridiculous? How so, as in you can't afford it, its so ridiculous, or because you refuse to pay it ridiculous?

Zardaia
February 23, 2013, 11:33 PM
Demand's certainly still there locally. Shelves are bare and first 20min worth of people through the door at today's gunshow, those that waited an hour before opening to get in, all went straight to Georgia arms ammo/reloading. The line for one vendor clogged half a room. Prices still through the roof, one table wanted $1.40/round for M855 and folks where buying.

Warp
February 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
Demand's certainly still there locally. Shelves are bare and first 20min worth of people through the door at today's gunshow, those that waited an hour before opening to get in, all went straight to Georgia arms ammo/reloading. The line for one vendor clogged half a room. Prices still through the roof, one table wanted $1.40/round for M855 and folks where buying.

THAT is ridiculous.

And stupid, really. Have these people not even heard of Gunbroker? It could be had for noticeably less on there, even.

Trent
February 24, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm damn glad I've been such a paranoid hoarder over the years.

berettaprofessor
February 24, 2013, 10:20 AM
As I noted in another thread yesterday, I haven't seen any ammo beyond shotgun in Walmart for weeks now. Went to Cabelas in KC yesterday; NO 22LR of any kind shape or color except Federal Birdshot....that's right, no bulk, no ELEY match, no Stingers, no Remington Subsonic, no Wolf, not even any 22shorts. No 22WMR either. They did have 9 mm and 223 mm in quantity; if you count MFS zinc-plated steel case....nothing else in both of those calibers. No 32ACP, No 380 ACP...none. They did have a few boxes of 45ACP, Remington, at 24.99. Couldn't bring myself to pay it but will probably regret that decision.

M2 Carbine
February 24, 2013, 10:52 AM
The LGS is only 2 miles away and there's always a hot pot of Coffee going, so I spend a LOT of time there (and buy a lot of guns).

Yesterday, for the hundredth time the manager said his distributors told him again "few guns and NO ammo is available".

Mostly the manager just tells the distributors, "Send me what you got".

I feel for the MANY people that come in asking for ammo, after trying to find it at MANY other places.

I hope people learn by this and in the future keep on hand a year or two stock of ammo.

Gun Geezer
February 24, 2013, 11:07 AM
I"m beginning to think there is more going on than meets the eye. I mean, if all this ammo is being made then it has to be somewhere to be bought, right?
But nobody is seeing any anywhere! How can that be?

Espcially 22LR. I see in a thread where CCI is making 4.4 MILLION rounds a day. If Remington, Federal, and a few others a doing that same number of just 22LR, where the heck is it being sold at?

Bigkrackers
February 24, 2013, 11:27 AM
I"m beginning to think there is more going on than meets the eye. I mean, if all this ammo is being made then it has to be somewhere to be bought, right?
But nobody is seeing any anywhere! How can that be?

Espcially 22LR. I see in a thread where CCI is making 4.4 MILLION rounds a day. If Remington, Federal, and a few others a doing that same number of just 22LR, where the heck is it being sold at?

I don't know if we have actual numbers from any of the ammo manufactures that anyone can go on as fact. However, just taking the numbers Geezer gave on the 22lr CCI is producing, and taking a wild guess at the number of big chain, medium size and small mom and pop gun stores that exist in America (I used 50 stores on average in any state) you get to 2500 of them. Divide that by 4.4mil and that's only 1760 rounds, just over two and a half bricks per store.

That's not a lot when someone walks in and buys all the rounds a store has. Then the next person comes in and sees the shelf empty and the person behind the counter tells you that they are stripped off the shelf as soon as they get them out of the shipping box.

It's like a snake eating its own tail. If not for the panic buying I bet there would be a fairly decent supply in every store.

mrvco
February 24, 2013, 11:38 AM
Ammo is definitely available at my LGS's. No 22LR of course and less 9MM than others.

Right now it is just a matter of "How much do you think you need it" and "How much are you willing to pay". Fortunately it's still very much winter here, so I'm not using much ammo and I don't really want to be shooting 50/round FMJ range ammo this summer if I can help it.

I did pick up a few boxes of Hornady CD 9MM yesterday for $20/box so I could cycle my SD ammo.

jrdolall
February 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdolall

So what's your point as it relates to this thread?

The "point" is that I , and many other people, can afford to buy ammo in large quantities at semi-ridiculous prices. I can "hoard" ammo if I want and pay twice what a working Joe can pay because I do not live paycheck to paycheck. Been there, done that and have the kids out of college to prove it.

For me the shortage is more of an inconvenience than a monetary issue. I like to pop in the LGS or WM and pick up a few bricks of .22 or 10 boxes of 9mm on Friday and we will shoot it up that weekend. I like to go online and order a case of .223 or 5.45 and shoot it over a month or so of weekend shooting. I can't do that right now because it is not available online OR at the LGS. I will run out of .22 for weekend shooting sprees before I pay these high prices I see on GB. Not because I can't afford it but because I am not crazy. These bricks of .22 are simply for shooting fun. I keep some other types for squirrels and small game but I have enough of that to last me 20 years.

And since when does a post need to stay on topic?

Zardaia
February 24, 2013, 01:00 PM
THAT is ridiculous.

And stupid, really. Have these people not even heard of Gunbroker? It could be had for noticeably less on there, even.
I overheard a conversation, unscrupulous vendor selling to a newbie playing it up as high speed super fantastic AP ammo. Never trust a salesman, especially if you don't know much about the product.

BigBoreJay
February 24, 2013, 01:59 PM
As I noted in another thread yesterday, I haven't seen any ammo beyond shotgun in Walmart for weeks now. Went to Cabelas in KC yesterday; NO 22LR of any kind shape or color except Federal Birdshot....that's right, no bulk, no ELEY match, no Stingers, no Remington Subsonic, no Wolf, not even any 22shorts. No 22WMR either. They did have 9 mm and 223 mm in quantity; if you count MFS zinc-plated steel case....nothing else in both of those calibers. No 32ACP, No 380 ACP...none. They did have a few boxes of 45ACP, Remington, at 24.99. Couldn't bring myself to pay it but will probably regret that decision.

I was at the same store at closing time last night. They also had Tula/Herter's 7.62x39 @ $7.49 per 20.

DJW
February 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
You don't need that ammo. Hell, you might put an eye out! Just be quiet and get in the cattle car. Work will make you free!

Ashcons
February 24, 2013, 02:26 PM
Right after Newtown, I wandered over to the ammo counter in WM and they had no .22, no .223, but a few boxes of everything else. I picked up a bulk pack of the Federal 9mm for $22. Each trip since then, the shelves have been barren aside from shotgun shells and hunting calibers.

After the 2008 elections, I made it a habit to pick up some ammo at WM every major shopping trip we took and ended up with a nice stock by this January, especially since I haven't been able to go shoot any of it in months.

I am kind of kicking myself for not picking up the CCI .22lr bulk packs in ammo boxes that they were selling in November!

Newcatwalt
February 24, 2013, 06:23 PM
All the most popular calibers are still hard to find in my area unless you're willing to pay outrageous prices.

DavidMS
February 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
From what I have seen, the prices seem to be slightly falling. I think we will start to see the panic buying recede in the next few months but prices will remain high for a while.

avs11054
February 24, 2013, 10:38 PM
After the 2008 elections, I made it a habit to pick up some ammo at WM every major shopping trip we took and ended up with a nice stock by this January, especially since I haven't been able to go shoot any of it in months.

I wish I would've taken this attitude, but I am making it a habbit now. There are still some ok deals to be found, it just takes some looking around. My goal now is to by 500 .22 each month and 40 .308 rounds (those aren't the only calibers I have, but the main ones that I will be sticking to). I only get out to shoot for fun maybe once every other month, so that amount of ammo should suit me just fine. Oh, and .40/.45 luckily isn't an issue for me to get. :cool:

Spymaster
February 24, 2013, 11:54 PM
From what I have seen, the prices seem to be slightly falling. I think we will start to see the panic buying recede in the next few months but prices will remain high for a while.
I haven't seen any evidence of that, I just watched two auctions on gunbroker end, both offering 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo, all Winchester ranger, one thousand of which was FMJ. The winning bids were $750.00 & $630.00(FMJ)respectively.

orionengnr
February 24, 2013, 11:58 PM
Were any of you around in 2008-09-10?
Ever hear about those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it??

Sure doesn't look that way.

il.bill
February 25, 2013, 12:00 AM
I just spent a full hour searching the internet for both 9x18mm cartridges and/or bullets (FMJ and cast) to reload. I admit that I am by no means a wizard at the Google, but I was surprised to find nothing available in stock anywhere tonight.

For the last year or so I would run by the ammo department and buy any brick of .22LR I saw at a sale price when we were out doing our general shopping, and now all of a sudden my wife does not think I am such a 'goofball idiot' after all.

jrdolall
February 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
I just spent a full hour searching the internet for both 9x18mm cartridges and/or bullets (FMJ and cast) to reload. I admit that I am by no means a wizard at the Google, but I was surprised to find nothing available in stock anywhere tonight.

This is my issue. Some things I can't even find anywhere other than Gunbroker which is absurd. I live 30 miles from town so driving in every day to check everywhere is a PITA. I have been fortunate to find all of my pistol ammo that I was a bit short on and I have plenty of 9mm to last me a year of normal practice but I would like some additional .22 plinking ammo and maybe some .223. Can't find either one locally though.

heeler
February 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
Things are much,much worse than in 2009-10.
True,most reloading supplies were pretty much non existent and .380 was very hard to find except from the scalpers on GunBroker in 09-10.
This very morning I looked at three different online sites and there was zero 9mm,32 ACP,and 22 of any kind.
Luckily I am well supplied but I do know others that are looking.
Friday around lunch I headed over to the local Academy Sports.
They have moved the most sought out ammo from the ammo area to the customer service area and limit it to one box per customer.
They had at least 20 boxes of 5.56 and I bought one for a friend.
I also bought a 100 round value pack of Winchester in .40 for another friend.
It was gone by Friday night according to another friend.
It's much worse this time around and I cant see any hope for improvement until probably late summer or even beyond.

Spymaster
February 25, 2013, 01:43 PM
Its going to get more expensive very quickly, thats because spring is coming up in just a few weeks, I expect 9mm to reach towards the $1.00 per round range for FMJ....$1.000.00 per thousand is likely.

heeler
February 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
Perhaps in the short term it will be that expensive but once things settle and the supply chain catches up I just dont believe it will be that extreme Spymaster.
What does Spring have to with anyway?
If so it won't be long before the industry burys itself.

Jim NE
February 25, 2013, 03:59 PM
My impression is that semi-auto guns are slowly becoming more available (high prices on AR's and AK's aside), but ammo is not. Not exactly what I would've expected at the beginning of all of this, as nobody had talked about banning ammo.

I see a few small shipments come into most local outlets, but they usually get sold out in short order. There is one very small shop locally that seems surprisingly savvy on getting ammo in and selling it at a decent, though slightly inflated, price. As a result, they're getting a LOT of business.

Get the impression that Walmart is rather indifferent on ammo inventory. They probably make more money selling bed sheets and detergent :)

mdemetz
February 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
They probably make more money selling bed sheets and detergent

Maybe not. (http://consumerist.com/2013/02/15/walmart-vp-calls-february-sales-total-disaster/)

Spymaster
February 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
What does Spring have to with anyway?

Activity levels spike exponentially, people go outside again, especially shooting sports people! Few active shooters ever go to a range, public, or private, most shooting is done on ones own property, in nice weather, and there is often no better shooting weather then in the spring when the bugs are yet dormant, but the temps mild.

Jim NE
February 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
Maybe not.

Wow! Poor Walmart....(just kidding :) ).

mrvco
February 25, 2013, 05:44 PM
Except for 22LR (which I don't shoot)... Around here availability doesn't seem to be the issue, it's more about how much you're willing to pay. I'm not willing to pay $500/1000 for 9MM or 40S&W range ammo.

I have things setup so that when I get an availability email, a filter in Gmail sends a text message to my phone so I can login and order before it sells out (9MM goes quick at $289/1000 delivered).

Regardless, the ammo shortages are perplexing and I wonder what really is the root-cause.

hueyville
February 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
Right now my local Walmart has 100 round boxes of 55 grain Federal FMJ 223 at 32.95 a box. They have Federal 100 round White Box 9mm and 45 acp for 44.95 per box. Went in with a friend just a minute ago who came by to use my new indoor range to play with a couple new pistols and wanted some extra ammo. They had no buyer limit, we each bought 3 boxes of the 223 and he purchased 100 rounds of 45 and 100 of 9mm. Gun Department guy says it is staying on the shelf long enough that he seldom sells completely out before next order comes in.

So if y'all continue to listen to the predictions of doom and gloom, continue to panic, run your cards to the max on overpriced gunbroker, other internet ammo gougers your wasting cash and feeding the beast. I am going to list the 300 rounds I just bought to see how goofy folks are going to get. If they do what I think they are, I am going back tomorrow for another 300. You are allowing this insanity to continue by not calming down. I paid 98.85 thus 105.77 with tax. I expect this to sell for 300 bucks plus shipping by morning. Can you blame me? You would too.

Our U.S. manufacturers have the capability to make 1 billion rounds a week and they have not quit. This internet buzz and false belief that seems to be permeating the gun culture that ammo no longer exists is just putting money in the people who know how to buy it pockets while others are bleeding themselves to the bone by paying three to four times what ammo is worth. Please stop putting money in my pocket. I am starting to worry that if folks don't quit this panic, the market might actually get messed up for a really long time. As long as YOU make it EASY for folks to TRIPLE their money or MORE selling AMMO you are the PROBLEM. This is meant to be a wake up call, not a taunt or chastisement. Please, chill out!

bushmaster1313
February 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
100 round boxes of 55 grain Federal FMJ 223 at 32.95 a box

That is a good price of about $0.33/round

Gunbroker is still getting bids of $400 for 500 rounds = $0.80/round

When the panic is over it will not be pretty

Queen_of_Thunder
February 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
Problem is that even with a production output of 1 billion rounds a week it just won't cut it. First thing is gov. needs come before us regular folk. After that need is met then the whole country needs to be restocked and that is going to take a very long time. Proof is found in the nearly 10 billion rounds produced yet there is no ammo on the shelf in gun stores nationwide nor is there the ability to order it from people like Midway. Its simply not available nor can it be backordered. Ammo prices will continue to rise and the shortages will continue. Lets all hope that the machined used to produce ammo don't breakdown.

hueyville
February 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
Bushmaster1313, I am already seeing gun deals cropping up where people went and maxed credit cards at panic prices who's bills are coming due with not enough cash to cover their expenditures. Also seeing people that bought at the peak, seeing shelves restocking and prices slipping a bit trying to minimize potential losses by cashing out that second or third gun they bought on an impulse due to the train of thought that keeps threads like this perpetuating.

I have been playing this game for 35 years. I saw the Bush1 panic, the Clinton panic, post shooting panics and now the Obama threats that look like they have as much teeth as his promise to have the troops home within 100 days of taking office. So are they home? There have been 3.5 times as many combat deaths during the first four years of this administration than the entire eight of the previous administration. Instead of just troops in Iraq & Afghanistan we can now add Pakistan, Libya, Uganda, Congo, South Sudan, Niger and the Central African Republic. (who did I miss?) Thus I don't take his already passed threat for immediate Executive Orders or significant legislation banning our Second Amendment Rights at the Federal level. He doesn't have the juice to get it done along with socialized medicine and solving global warming. They are going to tighten up a few things like unrecorded sales by private citizens and maybe a few other minor pieces then call it a major victory in keeping the public safe.

Thus, if the people new to the gun game. Or who have short memories about how this game has played out in the past. Remember the gun control act of 1934 (NFA but I can still pay 200 bucks to play that game)? Or the one in 1968? (I was five years old at the time but 45 years later I can still buy a pistol at a fair price) Yes, they keep carving little slices of the pie and they may eventually eat the whole darned thing but not this time. So once again, the inexperienced panic, others profit and eventually it all normalizes again while some of the players get fat but more take a bath in the end due to their inability to control their panic emotions. The sooner they calm down, the sooner the press forgets about it, the sooner this all levels out and then we all go back to shooting while the number of guns in private hands goes up by 30% or more.

O.K. All together, take a deeeep breath, Innnn, Ouuut. Repeat. Say to yourself its going to be alright. I AM NOT GOING TO PANIC ANYORE. Stop overpaying, be patient, its going to all work out. Just a tip from Uncle Huey. Of course, its all conjecture on my part based on past history, I do not own, nor do I trust a crystal ball.

Edit:
Queen of Thunder. Ammo is coming back slowly. Not everywhere and not immediately and the reason is that as long as people stay in fight or flight mode, people like me have too much incentive to use our experience to gather large percentages of the product and keep it off the shelves so that the panic crowd continues to pay a buck a round and allow venture capitalists to triple their money. Just another commodity that has gone loopy due to fear. Once people stop paying triple price or even double, the incentive for the "gougers" as investors are being called these days comes to an end and it sits on the shelves long enough for the less crafty to acquire at a reasonable price. It is just so simple that I cannot fathom why its so hard for the masses to grasp. I really am trying to be honest and help. That said, I gotta jump sites and sell some ammo.

Killian
February 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
Huey: I see one problem with that. Yes, I'm sure a bunch of people maxed out their credit cards. I'm also sure though that there were FIFTY other people standing behind them that never got a chance to max out THEIRS because someone else got to the goods before they did. So until those 50 are able to buy what they think they need, this won't stop.

readyeddy
February 25, 2013, 07:25 PM
I agree with Huey. Just say no. If you can't find reasonably priced ammo, then just don't shoot.

bushmaster1313
February 25, 2013, 09:16 PM
I agree with Huey. Just say no. If you can't find reasonably priced ammo, then just don't shoot.

Yes

But in New Jersey they are trying to ban online ammo sales.
This will make it hard for me to get my favorite ammo, Fiocchi reduced recoil 12 gauge 00 Buck: 12LE00BK

It will also make it hard for me to get an assortment of .257 Roberts and reduced recoil .270

19-3Ben
February 25, 2013, 09:59 PM
But in New Jersey they are trying to ban online ammo sales.
This will make it hard for me to get my favorite ammo, Fiocchi reduced recoil 12 gauge 00 Buck: 12LE00BK

It may cost, but your local FFL may be able to order some for you from his distributor and then sell it to you.

hueyville
February 25, 2013, 10:41 PM
I had over 600,000 factory loaded rounds of mixed calibers before this started. Now down to half that. Not a single round was purchased online. So worst case scenario if online sales are banned in your state it provides you with an opportunity to finally build that lasting relationship with your LGS. In 35 years of shooting and reloading, less than 15% has been purchased online. My LGS appreciates it and shows it.

Ignition Override
February 26, 2013, 12:08 AM
hueyville:
The panic still baffles me.

Fear sells, especially when $calpers always help to Promote fear. Many of the sheep don't seem to realize this.
In July 2009, a single seller in Keene, NH listed over 45,000 rds. of Russian 7.62x39 on GB. I counted at least that much.
Interesting how he ended up trying to sell so much at once...maybe several months too late, long after the election.

The human mind chooses anxiety and negative feelings before it chooses confidence and positive thoughts.

Spymaster
February 26, 2013, 12:22 AM
hueyville:
Many people are no smarter than "monkey see, monkey do", yet we all laugh at zoo animals.

Fear sells, especially when $calpers always help to Promote fear. Many of the sheep don't seem to realize this.
In July 2009, a single seller in Keene, NH listed over 45,000 rds. of Russian 7.62x39 on GB. I counted at least that much.
Interesting how he ended up trying to sell so much at once...maybe several months too late, long after the election.

The human mind chooses anxiety and negative feelings before it chooses confidence and positive thoughts.
Baffled you are? Let me guess, voted Obama, twice didn't you!

Queen_of_Thunder
February 26, 2013, 01:16 AM
hueyville:
Many people are no smarter than "monkey see, monkey do", yet we all laugh at zoo animals.

It's not 2009. Its 2013 and the ammo shelfs nationwide are empty. People are lining up to purchase ammo from anyone who has it. Long lines form long before the doors to gun shows open. Some ammo like 22lr has gone the way of the DoDo bird. There is a nationwide shortage of ammo and it will be a long time before we are back to normal as far as supply goes. Prices will not retreat to pre crises levels.

readyeddy
February 26, 2013, 01:44 AM
About a year ago there was a shortage of Chinese cabbage in Korea. They use it to make a type of coleslaw called kim chee. One head of cabbage was going for $100. I like coleslaw but I am not paying that much for one head of cabbage, same as I will not pay $100 or even $50 for a brick of 22. I just wont shoot if that's the case. There's other things one can eat and other hobbies to occupy free time.

Warp
February 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
I had over 600,000 factory loaded rounds of mixed calibers before this started. Now down to half that. Not a single round was purchased online. So worst case scenario if online sales are banned in your state it provides you with an opportunity to finally build that lasting relationship with your LGS. In 35 years of shooting and reloading, less than 15% has been purchased online. My LGS appreciates it and shows it.

Most of us cannot afford to purchase ammo in the quantities neccessary to have tens of thousands of dollars in ammo.

But it's nice that you told us how much money you have.

exbrit49
February 26, 2013, 02:39 PM
What a great surprise this morning, The LGS called this morning and advised they had 1000 Small pistol primers for me. Went to pick them up immediately and was very pleased to find that the price was the regular price before all the panic buying started. Last week he called and let me know he also had 2lbs of Unique for me.
As far as I am concerned this is the way it should be! The LGS knows he doesn’t get all my business but that I am a regular customer. He had promised at the start of the panic that he would try and keep me stocked. He does know the amount and calibers I shoot on a weekly basis and he has kept his word. He has kept me supplied except for 22LR. I have not had to curtail my shooting at all! Still shooting 200 to 500 rounds a week, a mix of 38Spl, .357 mag, 45colt, 45 ACP and 9 MM
The LGS owner had some harsh comments about the ammo runners ( his term, not mine)that visit his store several times a week and grab everything they can. He went on to say that since the shortage started, he limited purchases to one box of ammo a day, ditto primers etc. Then he found that many were coming in with their wives and kids and each trying to purchase the max. He has now posted a NEW SIGN “One Unit per family per day! “ He said he has had a few negative comments, but he doesn’t even put all the primers and ammo out on the shelves, he is allocating to his regulars and reserving their needs first.
My type of LGS, it works both ways!

Warp
February 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
I had seen that too and waived it off as playful fancy -- an individual doesn't shoot 100,000 rounds a month and anyone who needs to buy in that quantity sure as heck isn't going to the LGS, who isn't stocking that, and is nuts if they somehow are. By the way, if not alot of .22 LR it's a coupla hundred thousand dollars in inventory.

And if they are doing it through the LGS...check that...whoever they go through...when you buy in that kind of quantity there are price breaks, discounts, and deals to be had that generally don't apply to those of us who don't buy more than maybe a case or so at a time.

texasgun
February 27, 2013, 12:03 AM
I think it's actually getting worse.... just came back from the WalMart in Factoria, WA.

this time: NOTHING but shotgun shells. nada.

last time I went there they had two 20rd boxes of defense .40 rounds.

this time. nothing. except shotgun shells.

Warp
February 27, 2013, 01:01 AM
I don't think going from 40 rounds of .40 to zero, and no other (noted) change, is enough of a difference to qualify.

It's slowly getting a little better. As it should. Manufacturers are still making plenty, supply is going to catch up to this demand eventually

OilyPablo
February 27, 2013, 07:51 AM
....just came back from the WalMart in Factoria, WA.

That's a heck of a drive back to Texas! I shoot at WCA in the winter (other side of the 90 right there). Don't even bother looking at Walmart. WCA had some ammo a few weeks ago, but WA state sucks in the distribution scheme of guns and ammo. We may as well be in the sticks. All the other stores east of the Rockies get filled up and nothing much even makes it here.

I have not seen any 9X18 for weeks. No 9mm either.

No it's not easing here. Not much anyway.

Deer_Freak
February 27, 2013, 08:07 AM
The Walmarts in the central NC area receive ammo shipments on Tuesday night. When the trailer is unloaded is up to the warehouse foreman and the priorities set by the store manager. Ammo shipments are so small that they can be transported in any trailer. It is possible that the store has ammo on the property but it is sitting behind seasonal products that require shelving to be set up before they can be unloaded. If you get in the store at 7 am on Wendsday and Thursday in few weeks you should have the ammo you desire. Find out about store policies. Corporate has set a three box limit but some stores have additional restrictions. The store manager at the Walmart in Louisburg, NC has the keys to the ammo case. If he is not on duty, no ammo will be stocked or sold. Ask the sporting goods employees about ammo stocking procedures for that store.

baz
February 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
I had over 600,000 factory loaded rounds of mixed calibers before this started. Now down to half that.Seriously? Are you a dealer? Ignoring, for a moment, the $$$, that would work out to about 75,000 rounds a month, since the election (which is more or less when "this" started). About 100 rounds an hour, 24/7. Hard to imagine that for a single shooter.

Even if all of this were 22lr (and you said "multiple calibers) at $10 a brick, that would be $12,000, of which you say you shot up $6,000 in four months. Assume only half 22lr, and the other half at $20 per box of 20, now we're talking $306,000 invested in ammo, of which $153,000 went up in smoke in four months.

So, the numbers are a bit unbelievable, right? If not a dealer, then a typo? Maybe math is hard? Please clarify, inquiring minds want to know.

Coyote3855
February 27, 2013, 09:33 AM
Good news from Cabela's!

Products Ordered
1 of 21-7744 CCI .22LR TACTICAL PER 1500 W/DRY BOX .22LR TACT/1500 W/BX
Shipped-02/26/13

Order placed December 27, 2012.

CMC
February 27, 2013, 01:48 PM
Local gun range is selling 50 round box of 22 bottom grade ammo for 10 dollars a box , as of yesterday, he will never get my business or a referral.
Thanks for the heads up on cabelas.

Ignition Override
February 27, 2013, 05:27 PM
Spymaster:
Oh, come on-we're on the same side. My comments about human nature must have been too subtle. It's a shame that people who had any extra cash didn't stock up on ammo before both of the last pres. elections, before our 'Politburos' were created.
Most folks must not have noticed the growing media spotlight during Tucson, Aurora and Portland. Those were good hints about the media/politicians' cravings to use Anything to exploit, take away more of our rights.

Queen of Thunder: With plenty for the SKS, Enfields etc and 1,500 .22, haven't needed to visit a store. The weather is not so good for shooting anyway. I sympathize with people who were complacent or had no cash.

It might be a bad time to drive to Tulsa's huge Wanamakers show early April and hope for modest waits around noon?

Rancher5
February 27, 2013, 05:46 PM
I been shooting for decades and involved in politics, I never ever thought it would come to this, Ammo ,component shortage, lucky I kept rounds and powder on shelves nothing excessive but more than I can realistically shoot in 4 months or more, though one problem is I didn't foresee a pistol ammo shortage, being I thought this big fight would be over AR 15-14 ect, Yes I was very wrong though I thought we were in the United States, I suppose I had my eyes closed, Sad days talking about a fundamental right going to the Dogs,
We our loosing our rights you will eventually run out of Ammo, being this fight will go on for years if Conservatives don't get back some seats in 2014, Than we will be right at it again, a new fight as OB will say he has the mandate to take our guns, Unless we get back to fundamentals this is a loosing deal regardless of how much you hoarded in Ammo and components, good part is I will die in 15 years or so , though what does that say about the Untied States,

12many
February 27, 2013, 06:17 PM
Glass is half full. ;)

I think it is great that so many people are taking up and becoming involved in shooting and arms. What a great way to promote and protect the 2nd amendment by having so many existing and new gun owners buying arms and making the makers/dealers stronger and more well funded to fight for the 2nd amendment. Shortages mean people are buying, interested, and want more. Bans mean lost revenue in taxes and a loss of jobs.

I would be more concerened if the anti's were trying to ban everything and no one cared, shelves were full, no one was buying, manufactures were going bankrupt and there was no money to fight the anti's.

Rancher5
February 27, 2013, 06:32 PM
Well 12many You have a very good point, and yes a glass half full answer is refreshing,Your right on the mark of New Gun owners , giving bigger credit to our 2nd Amendment, Still those same folks should all be proactive in the 2014 midterms, that is a make or break election, why allot of States are being a little bit tempered on Gun Bans right now, its the knowledge it Could backfire in mid-term elections if results are like 2010

TheDaywalkersDad
February 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
I visited two of the larger gun dealers in my area. This is a brief summary that is no doubt boring and similar to what you're seeing.

First store... lots and lots of M1911's in stock. A decent amount of revolvers in various flavors were present. Not a lot of hi cap pistols were present but there were a few less popular brands in the case. As for ammo, there was plenty of .40cal and just a little .45acp. A few boxes of .380 was present and all of the hunting calibers were stocked except for .308, .223 & 30-06. They even had a little 7.62x39mm. No .22lr was in stock.

The 2nd store had a few M1911's and revolvers. The only hi cap pistols present were Taurus's.
There were a few boxes of handgun ammo. They were all hollowpoints. No target ammo was present. No. 22lr.

So, is the shortage easing?

Not in the Richmond, VA area.

YANKEE2500
February 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
Local Walley World has mostly shotgun ammo and a few rifle calibers, no 22s or pistol ammo.

NHCraigT
February 27, 2013, 08:40 PM
TheDaywalkersDad:
"I visited two of the larger gun dealers in my area. This is a brief summary that is no doubt boring and similar to what you're seeing.

First store... lots and lots of M1911's in stock. A decent amount of revolvers in various flavors were present. Not a lot of hi cap pistols were present but there were a few less popular brands in the case. As for ammo, there was plenty of .40cal and just a little .45acp. A few boxes of .380 was present and all of the hunting calibers were stocked except for .308, .223 & 30-06. They even had a little 7.62x39mm. No .22lr was in stock.

The 2nd store had a few M1911's and revolvers. The only hi cap pistols present were Taurus's.
There were a few boxes of handgun ammo. They were all hollowpoints. No target ammo was present. No. 22lr.

So, is the shortage easing?"

You did not post the actual prices of the ammo that you saw.

I state this for a reason:

Reports of ammo - present - at gun shows and also seen at LGS = 99.9% of the time, revolve around the fact that the pricing is essentially gouged, and thus double the cost, or even more than double pricing - of going rates for the same ammo.

Ignition Override
February 28, 2013, 12:18 AM
NHCraigT:

A layover hotel in West Little Rock was a 3-min. walk from Bullseye Guns.
They are nice people.

Two weeks ago their price for Russian 7.62x39 was $8 or $9.00 per box, with a max. of three per customer. That had a wide variety of ammo types on the left wall.
They even had about five guns in the AR configuration(s) on the right wall.

hang fire
February 28, 2013, 12:40 AM
7.62x54, I just got 660 rounds of Russian lead core in five round stripper clips for 160 bucks, then another 880 steel core rounds of Russian 1982 production for $157.00 with free shipping.

The 880 rounds were vacuum packed in spam cans (with can opener in the hinged wood crate) and is some of the best looking Russian 7.62x54 ammo I have ever seen to date.

hang fire
February 28, 2013, 12:57 AM
Re: NHCraigT

"First store... lots and lots of M1911's in stock."

Interesting about availability of the 1911 pistols. I just finished watching the "Shooting Gallery" on Outdoors channel. The hour was all about Armscorp in the Philippines, was stated they are the largest manufacturer of 1911 pistols in the world. One that really caught my eye was their Rock Island Armory 1911 A2 22 TCM Armscor 22TCM, 17 round magazine with 40 grain bullet at 2,000 fps out of 4” barrel. They are also coming out with same round in a rifle at 3,000 fps.

Armscor ships the empty brass for their ammunition to Montana where it is loaded.

pty101
February 28, 2013, 01:06 AM
It seems that at times it looks like the ammo supply is starting to come back, but then it all dries up again. I think that as long as there is serious debate about gun control issues people will keep buying.

In my area is seems rifles are starting to be back on the shelves. I saw multiple ARs are Scheels the other day, glocks and M&Ps were all sold. I think the majority of people that were panic buying guns are done and now buying up ammo.

Queen_of_Thunder
February 28, 2013, 01:26 AM
When people are fighting over who gets the lone 1,000 round box of Federal 223 one can safely say things are not getting better. Whatever ammo shows up is disappearing moments after being put on the shelf and thats with a 1 box limit. At my local Academy the doors open at 0800hrs and by 0805 all ammo that was put put before they opened is gone.

BTW where did all of the 20ga ammo go.

shafter
February 28, 2013, 06:53 AM
It hasn't eased up yet here but it never got as bad as other places.

This is what I saw yesterday

CCI bricks $28
1000 small pistol primers $48
100/$50 223.

Supplies were kinda low and selling quickly.

baz
February 28, 2013, 07:40 AM
7.62x54, I just got 660 rounds of Russian lead core in five round stripper clips for 160 bucks, then another 880 steel core rounds of Russian 1982 production for $157.00 with free shipping.

The 880 rounds were vacuum packed in spam cans (with can opener in the hinged wood crate) and is some of the best looking Russian 7.62x54 ammo I have ever seen to date.AIM Surplus? Somebody posted a picture recently showing then fat with new shipments of 7.62x54R. But I can remember when those 880 spam cans were about half that. I got two of them at the time, and have probably shot less than 100 rounds of it through my M44. That's a punishing beast to shoot. Let's see, that was back in 2007, when I paid $79.95 for a nice M44 with a laminated stock. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end!

Warp
February 28, 2013, 10:36 AM
AIM Surplus? Somebody posted a picture recently showing then fat with new shipments of 7.62x54R. But I can remember when those 880 spam cans were about half that. I got two of them at the time, and have probably shot less than 100 rounds of it through my M44. That's a punishing beast to shoot. Let's see, that was back in 2007, when I paid $79.95 for a nice M44 with a laminated stock. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end!

Speak for yourself.

Many of us were not nearly so naive.

TheDaywalkersDad
February 28, 2013, 11:21 AM
You did not post the actual prices of the ammo that you saw.

I state this for a reason:

Reports of ammo - present - at gun shows and also seen at LGS = 99.9% of the time, revolve around the fact that the pricing is essentially gouged, and thus double the cost, or even more than double pricing - of going rates for the same ammo.
Let's see if I can remember what I saw yesterday.
.40S&W ammo was $22 per box (Winchester)
.45acp was about $25 per box.
.22lr was $10.50 per 50 rnd box (Federal) at a Dick's Sporting Goods last week.
7.62x39mm Tulammo was $11 per box.
Can't remember what the .380 was priced at. There were only a couple of boxes present.

I've run across .40S&W three times over the last two weeks and it's always about $22 per box.

A few of us text each other when we run across ammo. We try to help each other out if possible. A friend of mine is running around on the other side of town, and just told me that one LGS got in some 9mm Blazer for $15 per box (Yay!!!). Of course it's one box per customer (boo!!!).
Another store is holding the line on prices. They got in some Pmags today and they're selling for $16.

I've found plenty of .40 over the last two weeks and a decent amount of .45acp. Naturally I don't have either one since I consolidated calibers after this mess happened in 2008/2009.

hang fire
February 28, 2013, 12:22 PM
AIM Surplus? Somebody posted a picture recently showing then fat with new shipments of 7.62x54R. But I can remember when those 880 spam cans were about half that. I got two of them at the time, and have probably shot less than 100 rounds of it through my M44. That's a punishing beast to shoot. Let's see, that was back in 2007, when I paid $79.95 for a nice M44 with a laminated stock. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end!
660 rounds from Aim, 880 rounds from Sportsmanguide.

No, for me the good old days were pre 1968. Pristine Brno Persian Mauser, 30 bucks, trapdoors for 20, K98 Mausers 15, milsurp pistols and revolvers for just a few bucks ad nauseam. Ordered from Shotgun News and they were mailed to your door.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 1, 2013, 11:40 AM
I may have to change my mind about when the shortages will end after what I saw this morning. Academy had the largest and biggest selection I've seen since this mess started. Multiple brands in 22lr,9mm,45acp, 223 and in quantity. Lots of ammo remained after the inital rush of some 40 people during the first 30 minutes.

Warp
March 1, 2013, 12:23 PM
I may have to change my mind about when the shortages will end after what I saw this morning. Academy had the largest and biggest selection I've seen since this mess started. Multiple brands in 22lr,9mm,45acp, 223 and in quantity. Lots of ammo remained after the inital rush of some 40 people during the first 30 minutes.

Any limits?

Old prices?

What did it look like a few hours later?

nosmr2
March 1, 2013, 02:18 PM
My Academy in Pasadena TX had about 25 boxes each of Monarch & Tula 223 for $5.99, also plenty of 7.62x39 when I made it in around lunch time. No popular handgun ammo and no 22LR, as usual.

They've had 7.62x39 in stock every time I make it over there for $6.49. I pick a box up for a buddy that needs it.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 1, 2013, 02:36 PM
Any limits?

Old prices?

What did it look like a few hours later?
Prices seem to be no different.
Blazer 9mm....$13
UMC 1,000 count bulk 9mm...$239
Lawman 45acp...$21
AE 45acp.....$25
Independance 45acp...$23.00
Blazer 525 count 22lr...$19.99
Federal 223 1,000 count....$449

After the inital rush of about 40 people there was quite a bite of ammo left to include 22lr and 9mm.

They still have their limit of 1 box each of 3 calibers of 22lr,9mm,40s&w,45apc,7.62x39,308 and 223/556.

The winchester 556 did go up from $8.99 to $11.99.

22-rimfire
March 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
I was in Academy yesterday and they had a couple boxes of 380. No 22.

preachnhunt
March 1, 2013, 03:57 PM
I just bought Tula 223 for $5.27 at Walmart in Berea Ky. They had a 3 box limit and sold their last 9 while I was there. They said I just missed the .22. Still .40 to be had.

saltydog
March 1, 2013, 04:15 PM
Wow .22LR, what is that? I saw pictures of it in a magazine so I can remember what it looks like! :uhoh:

dbp
March 1, 2013, 04:20 PM
I just left the gun range frustrated. Somehow I forgot to put my ammo in my range bag this morning. I got to the range, put the target out, got my eyes and ears on before I realized I had no ammo. So I walked back out to the counter to buy a box and -- no 9mm at all other than a few SD types for $29 a box. I left and will try tomorrow to remember to pack my own ammo.

It's not easing here.

dirtykid
March 1, 2013, 04:23 PM
I watched someone on Gunbroker pay $17.00 a 50-round box for CCI-Stingers last night,
I paid $4.79 for each of the 20-some boxes sitting in my cabinet,
Im tempted to sell off some , but afraid to see what it would cost to replace it !!

Yankee John
March 1, 2013, 04:35 PM
My local WM is getting ammo pretty regular each week. Last week I bought (3) 100 round boxes of WWB 9mm at $24.47 each. A couple days later, I got (2) boxes of 50 round Tulammo 9mm at $10.47 each.

Today they had (10) boxes of WWB .45 auto on the shelf at $20.57 per box of 50. I left with (2) boxes of Remington 9mm hollow point 100 round bulk packs at $30.77 per box.

The counter guy said they even got .223 and .22lr in this morning, but those were the first to sell out.

Scooter30
March 2, 2013, 05:03 AM
Not around here it hasn't. At least Wally world is limiting sales to 3 boxes per person per day though.

NWCP
March 2, 2013, 05:21 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt had 1000 round loose 5.56 green tip penetrators going for $999... $999!!! I about crapped my pants. When you can find ammo the prices are sky high. Just a couple months ago I picked up a 750 round case of the same for under $350 delivered. I don't see the situation getting any better for some time to come. That's a shame too, I used to be able to go through a couple hundred rounds a week just to keep proficient and to have fun. I'd always replace a case as I went through it, or pick up an extra if I saw a good deal. Not any more folks. Hopefully the prices will come down eventually.

CDW4ME
March 2, 2013, 09:24 AM
Could I get some SD HP 45 ammo if I wanted? Yes.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/45-ACP-Hollow-Point-Ammo-s/1866.htm

http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/45-acp-ammo

http://www.bulkammo.com/handgun/bulk-.45-acp-ammo?p=2

230 gr. Ranger T or Federal HST for only ~$40 per 50 round box.

Although Wal-Mart(s) do not sell the above selections, around here they are incessantly barren of handgun ammo, much less having "regular" JHP 45 like "white box" Winchester or the Remington "green box".

Wal-Mart = apparent / obvious shortage.
Online = available, at about +17% over "typical" prices.

22-rimfire
March 2, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt had 1000 round loose 5.56 green tip penetrators going for $999... $999!!!

That's enough to make a person stop buying anything from them.

OilyPablo
March 2, 2013, 09:32 AM
Still looking for 9x18 and 9x19

Here is a source for 7.62x51 and 7.62x39 ($425 delivered 1000 rounds)

http://www.unammo.com/#Rifle

http://www.unammo.com/#Rifle

jrdolall
March 3, 2013, 10:31 AM
I had a friend call me looking for some 9mm range ammo and I had no local source for her. I also could not find any online other than HP. I went to Academy and Gander Mountain on Friday. Gander had some, if you wanted to pay the price, but Academy had none in 9mm. .22 is still non-existent around here. I have not seen a brick since the CT shooting though I did load up online shortly after.

Torian
March 3, 2013, 10:33 AM
Yep, people are learning now the only way to ensure you have 9mm when you want it, is to snap it up in volume when you see it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo shortage easing or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!