AR15/AR10 Picatinny rail mounted sights

PDA

TexasPatriot.308
February 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
I look around assorted catalogs and see open (iron) sights that can be mounted on a "mil spec 1913" Picatinny rail for AR15s. Is the Picatinny rail for an AR platform different size due to the larger frame, or can AR15 sights fit on an AR10. I am looking to mount back up flip up sights on a Bushmaster 308 ORC which has a Picatinny rail on top.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15/AR10 Picatinny rail mounted sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TIMC
February 14, 2013, 12:27 AM
They should be the same.

MrCleanOK
February 14, 2013, 05:03 AM
Picatinny rails are just a dimensional standard. Some manufacturer's stick to it closer than others, but generally speaking you are good to proceed with confidence for most applications.

Skylerbone
February 14, 2013, 11:11 AM
So long as you have the appropriate gas block height any sight will be fine.

Carne Frio
February 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
Just looked at my ORC .308 and it's rail is just like all
the rest that I have, including my Colt 6920. Where are
you going to put your front flip up site ? The gas block
on mine does not have a rail.

Captains1911
February 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure if I understand your question, but Picatinny rail (mil std 1913) is a Picatinny rail. So if your AR-10 has a rail that meets that spec, then and sight designed for that rail will work.

TexasPatriot.308
February 14, 2013, 04:56 PM
my front sight will have to be sight mounted directly on the gas block, they are available in that format. thanks for the info.

Skylerbone
February 14, 2013, 08:09 PM
It was my understanding the ORC has no rail atop the gas block. If I'm wrong then you should be fine. If you're replacing the gas block make sure to buy the correct one (different height than an AR-15). For a direct mount, you should not use Magpul or similar composite sights which may be damaged by heat.

TexasPatriot.308
February 14, 2013, 10:06 PM
no, the gas block has no rail, you must directly mount to it, so if the barrel gets hot, you will want to use a reasonable sight (metal)

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15/AR10 Picatinny rail mounted sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!