Cleaning shotshells

PDA

Boss-302
February 13, 2013, 10:17 PM
Do you clean your shot shells before reloading? If so, what is your method?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning shotshells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
February 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Wipe them with a damp rag is all I do. Sometimes damp with mineral spirits instead of water.

gab909
February 13, 2013, 10:28 PM
Unless if they accidentaly get left in a pocket. Never have and probably never will. After they bounce around in a box or bag or vest, any debris is usually knocked out of them. During hunting season, or just after, There usually a few feathers floating around, but they do nothing to affect the loads that I am loading.

Rottweiler
February 14, 2013, 07:11 AM
This won't work with paper hulls or paper basewad hulls....

Wait until spousal supervision isn't home and run them through a cycle in the washing machine and let them dry a day spread out on the back porch in the Texas sun.

cfullgraf
February 14, 2013, 07:29 AM
I have never cleaned my shot shell hulls.

They do get pretty black by the time they reach the end of their life.

I suppose, if one fell in a mud puddle, I would rinse it off with water and let it dry.

joecil
February 14, 2013, 08:52 AM
The only ones I clean are all brass, never have with the plastic ones at all.

oneounceload
February 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
There is no need to clean a plastic shotshell - getting it wet on the inside can results in serious issues, depending on which one - some have paper basewads inside - getting them wet is bad ju-ju

rcmodel
February 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
Years ago when I was really poor, I used to scrounge all the old AA hulls people left in the Ft. Carson skeet field trash cans.

Some of them had been loaded so many times they were black instead of red.

I got a nylon mesh bag, and would take them to the post Laundromat in the middle of the night.

They come out looking right nice again.

Just make sure they are solid plastic hulls like AA's and not paper or plastic with a fiber base wad.

rc

gamestalker
February 14, 2013, 03:18 PM
I haven't ever cleaned them either. In rare instances in which mud or something that can't be just tapped out, I would use a plastic bore brush and just give them a quick clean.

GS

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning shotshells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!