Vibrator media

PDA

Catpop
February 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Corn cob, walnut, blasting sand, glass beads,---. What are guide lines for each? I've been using only walnut up to now mostly for really dirty stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vibrator media" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 14, 2013, 12:16 PM
Walnut = cleans more quickly.
Corn Cob = highly polishes more slowly.

Blasting sand & glass beads are used in sand blasters, not for case cleaning or polishing.

You don't even want any of it around your cases, tumbler, reloading dies, or firearms bores as it will scratch anything it touches.

rc

SSN Vet
February 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
I recently purchased once fired & tumbled brass from one of the many small time operators on the web.

The cases were incredibly clean and shiny. Really, really nice looking....

Some of them had a little of what looked like a flaky silicon type material.... almost like flaky sand, in them.

Made me wonder if that was from the range, or the tumbler.

I e-mailed the guy and asked him what he used in his tumbler, but he did not reply.

Trade secret I guess :rolleyes:

All this said... I prefer walnut over corn cob

returningfire
February 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
Probably used one of those newfangled hydosonic thingy. They may have not rinsed the brass well when they took it out. I don't have a hydrosonic, may be my next reloading purchase, but my tumblers have worked for over a decade and do well with corncob, add an occasional dash of liquid car polish and it looks good enough for me.

Catpop
February 14, 2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks rc
I had a wild notion to try some sand blasting sand, but see now that would be terrible mistake in that I could probably never get 100% of it out of the system. It's good to be able to bounce things off others in the know! Great forum!

Skylerbone
February 14, 2013, 01:19 PM
Walnut dust is bad for the lungs, another point to keep in mind. Lyman makes a product called Tuff Nut that is walnut with a polishing compound. It will shine brass better than a...well, use your imagination. Some car polishes may contain chemicals harmful to the brass so I stick with those designed for tumbling brass.

au_prospector
February 14, 2013, 02:59 PM
I have been tumbling twice.

First go around, 4-5 hours on walnut with a half cap full of Nu-Finish.
Then I decap and size. At this point it looks cleaner than when it started.

Second go around, about 4 hours on corn cob with a half cap full of Nu-Finish.
Then I clean the primer pockets with a RCBS primer pocket brush and re-prime.
At this point, we are spotless and shiny.

I am new to reloading and this might be overkill, but the brass is pretty clean and it smells like a newly polished car. :D
I am pretty new at this so fire me! Oh and all my polishing is done outside well away from my house.

Hondo 60
February 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
I like my brass a little shinier than walnut, so I use fine corncob

$34.83 with free shipping

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

(small enough that if you deprime first it doesn't get stuck in the flash hole).

Mcswack
February 14, 2013, 09:14 PM
For those who might live near a Granger Indust. Supply, they stock cob media for blasting in 14/20 screen size (real close to LGS media size) and it runs about $35 for a 40 lb box/bag. I take it over to a friend with a bag heat sealer , roll out an 18" bag which holds the same amount as my tumbler. It also seals in the media and keeps it dry. Lower cost per lb than regular media and my local warehouse usually has from 50-100 bags at anyone time. They will also ship ups if you not near one. Hope this helps.

jcwit
February 14, 2013, 09:39 PM
Grainger and DrillSpot are the same outfit. DrillSpot is their retail outlet for us ordinary folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vibrator media" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!