Problem with Hornady LNL AP Case Feeder

PDA

johnny_boy
February 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
I've got a couple other issues but this seems to be the most annoying. How do I fix this? I am using 9mm setup.

(See the attached photo)
1. The case won't always go all the way into the shell plate. It will hang out just a bit or tip over until I nudge it by hand. It happens ~40% of the time.
2. When the case drops from the top on to the shelf, they do not stand up straight. They fall over or misalign. Maybe 10% of the time.

I've done it by hand before and recently acquired the case feeder.

For #1 issue, I am wondering if the shell plate is too tight? Unless you perfectly feed the case, there is just not enough wiggle room to not get it stuck.
For #2 issue, I think the metal pipe that feed is a bit too large for 9mm. If it was narrower I think it will come down straight and stay straight. I am pretty sure I am using the right size as I think I have another size that is even bigger for feeding .45 ACP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with Hornady LNL AP Case Feeder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GT1
February 14, 2013, 07:42 PM
It is a known issue. There are fixes for that shown on youtube, if I recall. Some kind of side fences to keep the case on the straight and narrow was one.

There are others, including the tipping...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hornady+lnl+case+feeder+issues&oq=hornady+lnl+case+feeder+issues&gs_l=youtube-reduced.12...175793.178693.0.180322.6.6.0.0.0.0.69.250.6.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.rpsQ7p2lRHY

BYJO4
February 14, 2013, 07:45 PM
I would call Hornady tec support while sitting at your loader and describe the problem. They will walk you thru any adjustments needed step by step. They are great to work with by phone.

Blue68f100
February 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
There is a simple fix for this. You can use a piece of pvc pipe to make a shroud to keep it from tipping. For a quick fix use some construction paper and twist tie. As for tilting while it's being pushed, you need to add a pad below the pusher to catch the base. I used a piece of 1/8" (8oz) leather for this and contact cement. There is a thread on THR that covers a bunch of tweek for the LNL.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with Hornady LNL AP Case Feeder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!