Is a Benchmade worth the money

PDA

Ironclad
February 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
I'm looking to get another good quality folding knife. I currently carry a Kershaw. My question is, is a Benchmade significantly better quality? Is it enough to warrant triple the price? In what way is it better? I have no trouble paying more for quality and utility, but I hate to just pay for a name.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a Benchmade worth the money" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MarshallDodge
February 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
I have a Mini Griptilian that I carried for 10 years and it is still ready for service. Sent it back to Benchmade for their free sharpening several times to put their excellent edge back on it.

My wife bought me their Emissary model last Father's Day. It is a great knife for everyday carry in a business casual environment. It is the knife I now carry most.

Their quality is very good and they are made in the USA.

blaisenguns
February 14, 2013, 10:23 PM
Let me first say I have many knives. I own top of the line Ka-Bars, Kershaws, Case Knives and SOGs. Before I bought my Benchmade model 62 (Which I have always wanted) I always carried my Kershaw or SOG. This is my new favorite folding knife. It is of amazing quality, and in my mind it is worth every penny of that $250 I paid. D2 blade that is as sharp as my Thiers-Issard straight razor, fantastically smoth action, good weight, and overall a beautiful sturdy knife. So yes they are worth the money.

lpsharp88
February 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
I've carried Gerber, CRKT, and Benchmade. My auto presidio served me well in Iraq and I ONLY carry Benchmade as a result. If you are considering one, check out their Griptilian model, they are awesome little knives, and they even let you custom order them!
http://www.benchmade.com/customize/default.aspx

blaisenguns
February 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
I've carried Gerber, CRKT, and Benchmade. My auto presidio served me well in Iraq and I ONLY carry Benchmade as a result. If you are considering one, check out their Griptilian model, they are awesome little knives, and they even let you custom order them!
http://www.benchmade.com/customize/default.aspx

Ok, That is my next knife! Thank you for posting this!!

hso
February 14, 2013, 10:59 PM
If you like the Kershaw you carry you may want to look at the Zero Tolerance knives since they are the next step up on that path instead of changing paths.

Ironclad
February 15, 2013, 12:54 AM
I'm not particularly set on anything, just trying to figure out what the extra money gets me.

Bobson
February 15, 2013, 02:51 AM
If you like the Kershaw you carry you may want to look at the Zero Tolerance knives since they are the next step up on that path instead of changing paths.
hso, what do you mean by changing paths?

Zardaia
February 15, 2013, 03:06 AM
Never had any other premium knives to compare to, but benchmades are certainly quality. Popular items down range, only trouble's keeping the darn things out processing through customs (auto models). I've had two autos confiscated and manged to keep one. The lifetime sharpining is nice too.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 15, 2013, 06:44 AM
I actually went the other way - I used to carry a Benchmade and now carry a Kershaw. Don't get wrong, Benchmade makes a high quality knife that will last quite a while; but the problem for me was at $150 per knife, you can't afford to lose too many of them. So far, the few Kershaws I have owned have been excellent quality at about 1/3 the price - and they will do everything I was doing with the Benchmade.

Manny
February 15, 2013, 08:38 AM
I discovered a thumbhole mini-griptillian a couple years ago and it's been my constant companion ever since. The clip tension still keeps it securely in my pocket, the action locks virtualy as solid as a fixed blade yet opens and closes butter smooth with just one hand, the size and blade design is perfect for my use, the blade is very sharp and it's made in the US. The only way they could make them better IMO is to offer the thumbhole in more designs across the line.

So YES it's worth the money and then some IMHO.

rbernie
February 15, 2013, 08:47 AM
I've carried a Mini-Grip daily since getting it 2-3 months ago, and it's replaced all of my Kershaws, Spydies, and Buck VantagePro's in the EDC category. For all of sixty beanos, it's a real bargain.

MaterDei
February 15, 2013, 09:08 AM
I'm with the OP on this one. I can afford a Benchmade but don't own one. I have and really like the several Kershaws that I own but I'm willing to pay more for the right reasons. I realize that you all really like your Benchmades just like I really like my Kershaws and a friend of mine really likes his Spyderco.

Back to the OP's question regarding Benchmade.

In what way is it better?

rbernie
February 15, 2013, 09:14 AM
Compared to my Kershaws and Spydercos and the Buck VantagePro (my former EDC), the MiniGrip is lighter, more comfortable in the hand, can be carried tip-up on either the right or left side if you fancy clip carry, has a more useful blade shape for use in civilized settings, came sharpened better, and seems to be holding an edge much better. In addition, I will only pocket carry a folder that is not AO and which can be opened and closed one-handed.

For my EDC needs (dropping a knife into a pocket), the MiniGrip is simply the best that I've found so far.

JShirley
February 15, 2013, 09:42 AM
I'd say Benchmades are a quality step up from Kershaw, but Spyderco is as high a quality at a better value.

Pilot
February 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
I have a few Benchmades, and they are nice knives. I would say depending on model, yes they are worth the money as are Spyderco.

With regards to Kershaw, to be fair many of their knives are lower priced than Benchmade, but I believe they offer better value for what you get. Also, Kershaws Zero Tolercance line is more comparable in price to many Benchmades and Spydercos are are probably a better comparison for price. The ZT line is excellent, and has pushed my Benchmades out of my pocket and into my sock drawer.

kurt1305
February 15, 2013, 10:14 AM
The Axis Lock of the Benchmade knives make the price worthwhile for me. I have both a Griptilian and a Mini Griptilian. The Axis Lock allows a one handed opening as fast an automatic knife yet locks up solidly. I bought each for about $85 online.

Yo Mama
February 15, 2013, 10:41 AM
Are they worth the money? To me yes.

Do you want to abuse a 100 dollar plus blade? Up to you to answer. :)

blaisenguns
February 15, 2013, 10:53 AM
Are they worth the money? To me yes.

Do you want to abuse a 100 dollar plus blade? Up to you to answer

To me the fact that you have a blade made of D2 Steel vs. AUS 6 stainless or Chrome Vanadium means the blade can withstand more abuse. I bought a K-Bar D2 and that thing is one tough customer. That makes it worth it to me.

hso
February 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
ZT is a Kai Corp knife company along with Kershaw so you'd be staying with the same folks instead of going to a different manufacturer.

Yo Mama
February 15, 2013, 11:24 AM
To me the fact that you have a blade made of D2 Steel vs. AUS 6 stainless or Chrome Vanadium means the blade can withstand more abuse. I bought a K-Bar D2 and that thing is one tough customer. That makes it worth it to me.

Well put!

atomd
February 15, 2013, 04:48 PM
I have to say that I'm not a real fan of the axis lock anymore. I used to like it and carried one in my pocket for years. The problem with them is that you can't easily get in there and clean everything without taking the whole knife apart. The spring inside starts to rust and then breaks in half. Then the knife is useless until fixed. With most of the liner lock designs (among other designs) you can clean the whole thing in 2 seconds inside and out and there's no springs to worry about. I just like to keep it simple. No more springs in knives for me unless they aren't critical to the use of the knife. I do think benchmade knives are great quality knives and they are almost worth the money (the price tag on some models is a little too high for what you get imo). I'd rather have a spyderco though. If I was looking to save money I'd get a kershaw. I like the fixed blade benchmarks and some of their other models though. I really regret selling all of my older limited run benchmade fixed blades a while back.

DoubleTapDrew
February 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
I went throught the same dilemna as the OP. I had a couple of Kershaw assisted opening knives and wanted something a little smaller so I decided to try a benchmade (mini griptilian) to see what the hype was about.
I would say yes, the benchmades are higher quality, hold an edge longer than the Kershaw, and come sharper (in my experience).
However I think if money is a concern, the Kershaw is probably a better value for the $ spent. Both have a lifetime warranty and are made locally (Oregon).
Since you already know your Kershaw I'd suggest giving a Benchmade a try. It was a little hard to part with $70-$80 for a smaller knife but I don't regret it at all. If for some reason you don't like it you can sell it without losing your shirt since they hold their value well.

Ironclad
February 15, 2013, 07:28 PM
What do you think of the thumbhole on the griptilian vs a thumb stud? Ive always had a stud and I'm not totally sold on the hole.

dayhiker
February 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
The Benchmade 556 mini grip has studs....

mole
February 15, 2013, 09:21 PM
What do you think of the thumbhole on the griptilian vs a thumb stud? Ive always had a stud and I'm not totally sold on the hole.

I'm the opposite. Thumb studs just don't work for me. I have the mini-grip 555 with the hole and like it a lot. At least with the grip or minigrip you have a choice either way.

rcmodel
February 15, 2013, 10:15 PM
The Spyderco type hole, as used on them and some of the Benchmades make the thumb-stud obsolete.

Use one, and you will never go back, unless you just have to get a particular knife design you can't get it in.

The Spyde-hole is a superior design everyone would use now if it hadn't have been a patented Spyderco design licensed to only a few other knife makers years ago.

IMO: The other one great one hand opener design break-through is the Carson Flipper made famous by knife maker Kit Carson. Probably invented by some unknown knife maker in 1800 something in England.

Kershaw & CRKT has the market cornered on them now.

rc

dragon813gt
February 15, 2013, 11:33 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/instgram/44704285-69B7-43C6-9C42-EE8BA37B5279-9631-000005BA21889522.jpg

Been in my pocket every day for two years now. Broke the tip using it as a pry bar. Which I shouldn't have been doing. But now it works perfectly as a screw driver :)

I went through a lot of cheaper knives until I bought the minigriptillian. I should have bought one sooner. I prefer the tip up carry since I use the clip. And the axis lock is still working flawlessly. It gets used daily. Even for things it shouldn't be used for.

Just ordered a custom griptillian. This thread just cost me money :)

Brought to you by TapaTalk

bill3424
February 16, 2013, 12:35 AM
I own many knives...dozens, and carried them for yearssss. I think they are definitely worth the money. Just consider how much the Grips and mini-Grips cost, I think you'll get a lot of knife for the money you just spent. You can even customize them too for a few more bucks.

Bobson
February 16, 2013, 12:46 AM
The Spyderco type hole, as used on them and some of the Benchmades, make the thumb-stud obsolete.

Use one, and you will never go back, unless you just have to get a particular knife design you can't get it in.

The Spyde-hole is a superior design. . .
I find the Spyderco type hole is much more difficult to manipulate than a thumb-stud. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but its hard to imagine several different ways to use it. What makes the Spyde-hole superior?

USAF_Vet
February 16, 2013, 02:15 AM
I carry a Benchmade Barrage as my daily. I've also had a couple Benchmade automatics and fixed blades.
They are expensive, but I wouldn't trade my thumb stud axis lock for any other AO folder.

Ironclad
February 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
Alright. Now I see that they offer 4 varieties of steel. Do any of them stand out as being the best?

rbernie
February 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
I find the Spyderco type hole is much more difficult to manipulate than a thumb-stud. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but its hard to imagine several different ways to use it. What makes the Spyde-hole superior?No extra protruding parts - its a clever idea. But in order to work, the blade height has to be sufficiently tall that the knife no longer disappears into a pocket as well as other options, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Southernsorrow
February 16, 2013, 01:56 PM
Benchmade is pretty much a benchmark for quality knives you'll always see x or y brand compared to them. I own several. I also have alot of others. You might also consider a Zero Tolerance ZT300 or a Spyderco . spyderco makes some of the best folders around they just take an keep a razor edge for a lonnng time

bjs1187
February 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
Just got a custom griptilian. Never owned a folder that locked up so smoothly this tight.

BCCL
February 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
Yes, Benchmade is worth it.

Valkman
February 16, 2013, 10:32 PM
I find Benchmade to be well worth the money.

Cmiller21b
February 16, 2013, 11:27 PM
I've got several Benchmades. The one I carry the most lately is the Infidel, spring loaded, straight out the front double sided blade. But is is rather pricey. Benchmades are great knives and they have an awesome warrenty. I carried mine thru two Afghanistan trips and sent it back for a TuneUp. They replaced the spring clip and tightened the inner workings, shared it and sn
t it back to me in about three weeks!

DrDeFab
February 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
One caveat: if you see one of the discontinued red box knives, avoid it, they are not built to the same standards as the U.S. knives.

I bought a 10600SB (http://www.benchmade.com/products/10600) a few years back, and it's junk - the blade is OK, but it doesn't open smoothly, the clip is wobbly, and the Levitator lock failed completely after a few months. I don't know whether that's poor design or implementation, but either way it sits in a box while I carry a CRKT.

alaskanativeson
February 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
Benchmade? Worth every penny for the Grips and Mini Grips I've had. I have both thumb stud and thumbhole versions and I like both. I like the hole on a Spyderco because they're harder to open, and the hole is MUCH better than a stud, in my opinion. I was hesitant to get a stud-opening Griptilian, but after I found out how glass-rod smooth the Axis lock is, I have to say my fears disappeared. I have both and don't hesitate to carry any of them.

I bought a Gold Class Mini-Presidio. It was an excellent knife, but I think the $450 I paid would have been better spent on a Sebenza. Of course, it was a moot point since I put it in a knife shop on consignment and got $520 for it less than a month after I got it.

Captains1911
February 18, 2013, 11:31 PM
I believe they are worth it. If you decide to buy one you will see. The mini grip 556 is the perfect EDC knife for me, not too big or small, love the axis lock, and the 154CM steel holds an edge well and isn't difficult to sharpen.

dayhiker
February 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
The ZT0550 is worth considering.

I like mine...

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h340/dayhiker1968/Photo-0011_zps21c6d858.jpg

Only had it for about a day, but it is seriously a consideration to carrying my F1 (legally)

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h340/dayhiker1968/Photo-0012_zps831ba249.jpg

cja245
February 20, 2013, 02:03 PM
I'm more of a Spyderco guy. But I have several Benchmade balisongs and they are top notch.

IMO one of the best folding knives out there today is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I have a sprint run in S35VN

Big_John1961
February 20, 2013, 05:45 PM
I'm looking to get another good quality folding knife. I currently carry a Kershaw. My question is, is a Benchmade significantly better quality? Is it enough to warrant triple the price? In what way is it better? I have no trouble paying more for quality and utility, but I hate to just pay for a name.
Benchmades are good knives. I think I have 5 of them. The question of whether they are worth the expensive price tag is up in the air sometimes. For whatever reason, I always seem to gravitate back towards my Spydercos, Kershaws or CRKs. I've had some QC issues with BM, mostly loose blades out of the box, but I've also gotten very good customer service when I've needed it.

I think BM is like any other brand, some models sing to you, some don't. Right now I'm just not buying BM's. Very good quality, IMO, but a tad overpriced. Frankly, I think Kershaw makes some of the slickest, high-value blades out there. They make a lot of interesting models and I've had great luck with them.

One thing BM does have is the outstanding Axis lock. :cool:

tiamat
February 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
^^^ This

Il Duca
February 20, 2013, 07:34 PM
Benchmade does make nice knives and the Axis alone makes them worth the money. I also find that with a properly set up Axis, any other opening method is moot. I sinply open and close them one handed by manipulating the lock. If I had to pick though it would be flipper, thumb stud, then Spyder hole. Never liked the hole.

Captains1911
February 20, 2013, 09:48 PM
Hole vs stud is all about personal, i can't stand the hole. BM offers many knives with both options, spyderco not so much.

NG VI
February 22, 2013, 03:35 AM
I have to say, I've been juggling the idea, whether Benchmades are worth the money or not, but I just found out about a shop doing an inventory cleanup sale a couple of days ago.

I ended up ordering a 710D2, it says the knife is new and cost under a hundred, so I feel pretty good spending the money on it. I know I would have eventually bought a 710, and I would have bought it under exactly the circumstances I did this time, a stumbled on sweet deal.

So then I remembered I haven't picked up a knife other than the CRKT Folts S.P.E.W. for her, and I think she might be more comfortable carrying a folding knife too. I ordered her a pink plain edged one, she's very marginally into girly colored things, so if she doesn't like it I'll make fun of her and claim I got it that color so she won't lose it. I don't know what replacement grip options are out there, but I'm sure if she doesn't like pink it'll be easy to find something she does like.

Zeke/PA
February 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
IMHO it's strictly a pride in ownership thing in a way as that hi-dollar knife does not cut any better than my $ 10.00 Opinel.
I am however a Knife Nut and I can understand your feelings about the Benchmade offerings.
I have two Randalls, both gifts from friends, that will NEVER see blood or even a tomato but I'm fortunate to have them.
Respectfully, Zeke

Captains1911
February 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
IMHO it's strictly a pride in ownership thing in a way as that hi-dollar knife does not cut any better than my $ 10.00 Opinel.
I am however a Knife Nut and I can understand your feelings about the Benchmade offerings.
I have two Randalls, both gifts from friends, that will NEVER see blood or even a tomato but I'm fortunate to have them.
Respectfully, Zeke

I beg to differ. Perhaps fresh out of the box they will both cut, but after use, the $10 knife (if it hasn't broken yet) will show why it was $10. This may become less apparent when comparing say a $50 knife to $100, but any $10 knife is likely nothing more than Chinese junk.

Zeke/PA
February 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
I beg to differ. Perhaps fresh out of the box they will both cut, but after use, the $10 knife (if it hasn't broken yet) will show why it was $10. This may become less apparent when comparing say a $50 knife to $100, but any $10 knife is likely nothing more than Chinese junk.
Read my post!
My Opinels have not broken simply because they are used as cutting instruments ONLY and NOT as hatchets or pry bars.
I can take my daily carry Opinel and shave with it!
Can you do the same with your daily carry?
Opinels, Chinese junk?
You need to do some SERIOUS research my friend
I ain't sayin' no more!

Captains1911
February 22, 2013, 07:22 PM
Knives don't need to be used as hatchets or pry bars to lose an edge or show wear...

Zeke/PA
February 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
knives don't need to be used as hatchets or pry bars to lose an edge or show wear...
read my post!!

Captains1911
February 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
Im not here to get into a heated argument, and I'll admit I don't know much about Opinels, perhaps they are an exception, because in my experience knives costing $10 are usually junk. No matter what you're cutting though, knives wear, this happens to ANY knife, and usually much quicker to cheap ones utilizing inferior steel. With folders there are other issues to consider.

Yo Mama
February 22, 2013, 07:54 PM
The Opinel is the farthest thing from Chineese junk. It's made in France.
The more I collect, price is just one factor in the equation. There are great budget blades, and then there is junk. The Opinel is very respected as a solid user.

Captains1911
February 22, 2013, 07:58 PM
The Opinel is the farthest thing from Chineese junk. It's made in France.
The more I collect, price is just one factor in the equation. There are great budget blades, and then there is junk. The Opinel is very respected as a solid user.
Guess I'll have to add one or two to my collection then. Which particular models do you guys recommend?

Yo Mama
February 22, 2013, 08:40 PM
Opinel No. 8

You'll thank me later. :) It's a whole new world.

Zeke/PA
February 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
Opinel No. 8

You'll thank me later. :) It's a whole new world.
I prefer the Carbon Steel over the Stainless!

Yo Mama
February 23, 2013, 10:24 AM
Carbon all the way. The no 8 has the exotic x90 carbon!

NG VI
February 24, 2013, 03:06 AM
An Opinel or a Mora is not a junk knife.

Oh they showed you the error of your ways already. Good news. I've got a Mora (Classic? Red wood handle, carbon steel I'm almost positive.) that I've had since 2001, love it, still sharp, been using it as a digging tool lately.

Tony_the_tiger
February 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
I love my Benchmades. The axis lock is (in my opinion) one of the most innovative, strongest, and safest locking systems on a folding knife currently available.

That said, I have been disappointed by their factory edges and their LifeSharp program. I am also not a fan of their fixed blade offerings.

Unless there is a manufacturing issue that requires Benchmade service, I send mine out to Albert at Seattle Edge for his convex wizardry. Compared to other high value knife companies, Benchmade's edge does not compete. Their engineering and design is, however, top class.

http://www.knifesharpeningseattle.com/

kayak-man
February 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
I was thinking of posting last night, saying how much I loved my bench-made griptilian, and that it was worth every penny I spent on it...

... but today at work, I ether misplaced it, or someone took it out of my locker... now I'm thinking go with something not quite as expensive...

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

J_McLeod
February 25, 2013, 09:52 PM
I've had my Griptillian for 10 years, 3 of them in Iraq and it worth everything I paid for it. Benchmade has an excellent warranty too.

Okiegunner
February 26, 2013, 01:32 AM
Benchmades, in my opinion, are top of the line.

Example...I own (IMO, some nice knives) ZT 0700, ZT0300, HTM "Gunhammer", Kershaw Composite Blur, Spyderco Civilian, etc...

I recently purchased a (no longer made) Benchmade Vex "Red Line" knife, made in China.

The Vex is a REALLY nice knife. The fit and finish is very good. Blade lock-up is damn near perfect. The blade (Chinese steel) comes razor sharp out of the box. This knife was a "cheap" Benchmade.

I also own an American made Benchmade Osborne (S30V steel). Once again, a very nice knife (though a bit small).

Benchmade knives are usually worth the money, if, one will shop around. There are better values and there are cheaper knives, but, as a rule, Benchmades are good to go for almost any circumstance needed for a knife!!

Quickdraw Limpsalot
February 27, 2013, 09:45 AM
Worth it? Not to me.

Vonderek
February 27, 2013, 10:32 AM
This one was worth way more than the money...got it for $30

Spike_akers
February 28, 2013, 08:33 PM
Ok, I'm gonna tell you about my experiences. I love benchmade. They have been the longest lasting, and most quality knives I've ever owned. The axis lock is great, have NEVER had a problem. Although I will admit, as a perfectionist, the axis lock is hard to clean. I have owned them all. Benchmade, bear ops, Chris reeves, kershaw, gerber, spyderco, etc, and of them all, the benchmade is always on top. Beautifully made, and longest lasting compared to the others. My biggest problem with kershaw, is their speedsafe assist. The torsion bar frequently breaks, and renders the knife useless. Now I'm not saying kershaws are horrible, just that I don't like the speedsafe. Now, if you're looking for a good benchmade, there is the 890 torrent.

The torrent uses the nitrous assist, and is liner lock. I have never heard of someone breaking a nitrous assist. It is made from the ever popular 154cm stainless, which will hold a razor edge and has good rust resistance. I will be posting a full review later, and will link it here. And this knife can be had for around 97$ right now from knifeworks.com because of their current promotion on USA made knives. Wish I had waited. I've been carrying this for 7months now, putting it through as much abuse as I can think of, and there has been no damage, no noticeable wear, and has really became a hall of fame knife for me. Wish you luck with your decision, but benchmade, will always be worth the cost.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3969/imag0010b.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/imag0010b.jpg/)

Valkman
February 28, 2013, 09:26 PM
And this knife can be had for around 97$ right now from knifeworks.com

That's the only place on the web to buy Benchmade knives!

NG VI
March 3, 2013, 04:20 AM
Love those guys, and they ship sooo fast.

shootniron
March 3, 2013, 04:24 AM
Not in my opinion.

Spike_akers
March 4, 2013, 05:49 PM
Love those guys, and they ship sooo fast.
they have always been incredibly slow in my opinion. 2nd day delivery, shouldnt take 7 business days, 4 to process 3 to ship. but other than that, they are a great company, and have great prices.

browneu
March 4, 2013, 09:53 PM
I bought a knife from them Friday and received the knife today. Just standard shipping to Ohio.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a Benchmade worth the money" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!