Dan Wesson 15-2 Pistol Pack

PDA

Huntolive
February 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hello,
I am considering trading a very nice ak47 with several tactical extras and a Leapers 4x42 illuminated scope (I value the AK with extras at $1200 in current market) for a Dan Wesson 357 15-2 Pistol Pack and $200. Pack includes 4 barrels, only the 8" brl has been fired, the case, belt buckle, and some tools, and 3 grips.
I have recently gotten into pistol hunting Deer (mostly) and have a Ruger SRH 45/454 Casul w/ ultradot sight.
I also have an SP101 357.

I got the SRH and the SP101 after getting good advice here, so thanks, am happy thus far! :)

I need to know 2 things: the value of the Dan Wsn Pack, and its relative value to a good, well maintained WASR 10 63 with many extras,
AND the capabilities of the Dan Wsn in 357 primarily for big game hunting.

Please Help :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Dan Wesson 15-2 Pistol Pack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Iggy
February 14, 2013, 11:13 PM
I saw one of those pistol packs at a gun show for $800. When I woke up, and went back to get it and it was gone.

docnyt
February 15, 2013, 12:17 AM
Before all this craziness the DW pistol pack would have been valued more. Right now the way you have it you're about even.

Gordon
February 15, 2013, 01:45 AM
You will be enjoying the classy Pistol Pac with the hyper accurate Dan Wesson long after the Romanian Garbage returns to the garden tool it is.:cool:
They are usually Python accurate and strong enough to shoot real .357 loads all day. I would try the 8" barrel with the Winchester 180 grain Partition Gold for a great large whitetail or black bear load to 75-100 yards.;)

JHenry
February 15, 2013, 03:36 AM
id make that trade, WASR have been inflated more than any other of the AK variants. Expect that to start dropping soon.

CajunBass
February 15, 2013, 05:08 AM
I saw that one, and wish I had the money for it. I'd make that trade all day long.

bannockburn
February 15, 2013, 06:59 AM
I had a Dan Wesson Pistol Pack years ago and would love to have that one back as I traded it in for a Colt Gold Cup. Relative values aside, if the Dan Wesson has more practical use to you here and now than the WASR, then I would say make the trade.

Huntolive
February 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
You guys r the best!
Thanks 4 the feedback.
I am leaning towards making the trade, but know you are all probably biased to the Dan Wesson, since this is the revolver forum ;)
Can the 357 really tack black bear? Moose?
With Training, can I legitimately take whittails at 100 yards w/ this 357?
I know I can w/ the Super Red Hawk 454, but will this gun do this?
Also: OPTICS
How to mount a red dot or scope to Dan Wesson. I think it ias the vented barl, will use the 6 or 8 inch brl.

Gordon
February 15, 2013, 11:03 AM
Mount
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/181793/b-square-weaver-style-scope-base-dan-wesson-6-barrel-clamp-on-silver
Look at the Weigand and Warne substitute shown
2x Leupold is very good
Yes whitetails to 100 yards
I gave you about the best heavy game hunting load all ready IMH experience
Pigs,Lions,deer and eastern black bear it will work well placed
Elk and Moose it is a little light IMHO

Huntolive
February 15, 2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks,
so Dan Wsn 357 can easily take deer at 100 yrds, hogs, black bear, etc.
I have the 454 if I want anything bigger.
From a practicality sense, why wouldn't I either just keep trainig with the SRH 45/454 or get a used SRH 44mag for like $600, rather than the Dan Wsn 357?
Practically speaking does the Dan Wesson 357 give me ANY hunting advantages over my SRH Hunter 45/454?

It seems more like a VALUE issue. What do you think, If I only use the 2 longest barrels, and keep everything nice, that the complete pack is worth Now, and will be worth in 10 years when I'm gettin ready to send my kids to college and need $?

hardluk1
February 15, 2013, 12:23 PM
huntolive Depending on your game you will have a lighter handgun that can be loaded hot enought loads compaired to many 357 revolver to handle the job reliably. Its simply a great revolver that could change what you look for a gun shops and shows. Like a nice 44mag or one of the super mags down the road. With the easy to change barrels a 4" barrel it makes a very nice trail gun before or after the season for scouting trips or shead hunting.

After you get a red dot on that DW and with the 8" barrel 3" 100 yard groups is very practical. Also for a handloader 1450fps with hot 170speer sp and 180gr HC are doable. Not fun to shot but doable.

I have killed close to 200 hunts with a 15-2 I bought new in 1976. Still and darn accurate handgun. Killed a couple deer to with and black bear would not be an issue with even a mild 1150fps 180gr HC load. .

For a shooter there is no revolver made I would rather take to the woods than a DW revolver. Python included.

Keep any red dot or reflex dot size to 3" or less. Depending on the level of briteness you dial in it is still very large or very fine looking. I used up the old cheap dot I had after 20 years of use. Now I have a burris 135 speed dot .

Check out EWKarms for everthing danwesson revolver.They have a site at danwesson forum and there a custom grip makers there. I like old hogues soft rubber grips for hunting.

If you want to keep a barrel shoud unharmed from a scope mount maybe one of these would do well. - http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_14

Hotter loads that will work in your dw- http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=357%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

Huntolive
February 15, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks,
180grain HC: what is HC? Hollow Copper? Hard Coat?
How much kick are we talkin out of the DW w/ 8inch brl with a load like that compared to say a 300 grain moderate 454 casul out of a SRH Hunter?

As to $ value, is the set worth at least $1000 or more?

Thanks

hardluk1
February 15, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hard cast bullet means the bullet is mixed to a hardness level it tends to not deform when stricking meat or bone, maintains is shape. Good for boreing tru a hogs shoulders or thru a bear. Not a thin skin hunting round. Only something that can be dangerous. But a 158gr sp or hp is more than most need for general use. With production ammo from fed, win rem and hornady the 8" barrel is mild. Little more snap with the short barrels. My wife has her own 6" dw 15-2 and has no problem shooting 125gr 1500fps. Not much push back like your SRH has, more snap up.
]
A nice pistol pack does tend to be worth a 1000 dollars. Find out where it was made. Monson mass or early palmer tend to be good handguns.

Between the DW and SRH you have a revolvers that can handel about anything you may want to hunt. Time to reload

Any 454 loads you shot in that SRH will make the dan wesson childs play.

Gordon
February 15, 2013, 01:38 PM
Of course a .44mag or (shudder) .454 has a heck of a lot more power! Never seen anyone "train" with a .454 yet, me included. You either appreciate the DW for the jewel it is , or you don't.

Huntolive
February 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks Again,
especially Hardluck1, and all.
A friend (very opinionated, but does know alot about guns, and is a marine sniper) told me the Dan Wessons can have issues with the barrels coming lose.
This 15-2 set was made in Monson MA. Not sue the year.

Has powder for reloading gotten hard to get/expensive w/ the semi-auto craze?

hAkron
February 16, 2013, 12:47 AM
Dan Wesson revolvers are great. Find a model 15-2 in any configuration (for at or just under $400), buy whichever grips you like on ebay, then get EVERYTHING else from here:
http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/
His barrels are top notch, and way cheaper than DW stock barrels. His parts kits, barrel wrenches, and tool sets are cheap and excellent.

I've bought all kinds of crap from that site and I've been really happy with all of it.

ColtPythonElite
February 16, 2013, 12:51 AM
I was offered a mint looking complete DW Pistol Pak for $800 a few months ago. I let it pass. I wish I would have bought it.

hemiram
February 16, 2013, 07:01 AM
Huntolive- I have owned Dan Wesson revolvers for over 35 years, and never, repeat, ever have I had a barrel loosen up. I have had friends that owned them and none of them have either. If you tighten it up correctly in the first place, the tension on the barrel will keep the nut tight. You don't have to try to be a gorilla, just snug will be fine. DONT put loctite, especially red loctite on the barrel nut! It just isn't needed.

I have had exactly three issues over the years with DW guns. One was the hand spring broke. Two, was the cylinder stop fell out on my first DW, it was pressed in and just walked out. Three, the bolt I used to put my new custom made grip on my gun was too long and it caused a hair trigger. Just the slightest tap made it go off.

All these problems were fixed in a few minutes.

F-111 John
February 16, 2013, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't take a perfect Dan Wesson pistol pack, with all of the accessories intact including the belt buckle, and mar the frame or barrel with any sort of optic mount, nor would I take it into the field.

To me that would be like finding a classic '57 Chevy Bel Air that was rust free, with all original paint and interior, looking showroom new, and even including the original tire changing tools and owner's manual, and asking if a Hemi would fit under the hood, and is it any good for drag racing.

As to value, go ask on the Dan Wesson forum: http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/revolvers/

There is a Pistol Pack on Gunbroker going for $1,300 at the time of this writing. It sells today (2/16/13): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329311951#PIC

ColtPythonElite
February 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
I would use a perfect example however I wanted....Who deserves it more? You or the next guy to own it when you are dead?

hardluk1
February 16, 2013, 11:48 AM
huntolive Tell your marine sniper buddy thanks for serveing but he should keep his opinon of dw revolvers barrels working loose to him self. With 4 dw revolvers in house and 35 year of shooting he heck out of them them I have never had a barrel work loose. I use a 1 drop of breekfree on the treads on each end and just snug the nut. Nothing special.

CraigC
February 16, 2013, 11:56 AM
I would use a perfect example however I wanted....Who deserves it more? You or the next guy to own it when you are dead?
Exactly!

F-111 John
February 16, 2013, 09:14 PM
Did I say don't shoot it? Did I say lock it up in the safe and never touch it? No, it's your property and it is yours to do with as you see fit.

I said if it were me, I wouldn't take it into the field, and I wouldn't have it drilled and tapped for a scope. It is rare to find an intact pistol pack, and it would be a shame to destroy it's value when there are other Dan Wesson 15-2s or better yet a stainless DW 715 like mine that are run-of-the mill and perhaps better candidates as a hunting tool.

Gordon
February 17, 2013, 12:04 AM
The scope mount will clamp onto a ventilated rib , did not you say the 8" barrel had been shot? There you have it!

Deer_Freak
February 17, 2013, 12:23 AM
I have a Dan Wesson 15-2 with three barrels. The 10" barrel is very nice and has good range. I prefer hunting with a single action especially in inclement weather or treacherous footing. If I tear up the Dan Wesson I will never make it look good again. I can put up a fence with the Rugers. Ruger will make them look new again for $100 each. I never hunt with a pistol as my primary weapon. I get excellent results with double tap 180 gr HC ammo. I am sure it would take down a black bear but I would rather not find out. I shot a deer in the chest with a 125 gr JSP made by Fiocchi. The bullet penetrated 34" of deer and exited the deer.

hAkron
February 17, 2013, 08:52 AM
Mint Dan Wessons are nearly impossible to keep nice if you want to fire them. The cylinder rolls out tight to the frame, so it is common for your brass to drag a bit on the side plate during ejection which leads to wear of the bluing. I like to find my Dan Wesson revolvers well loved and well shot, and I keep them going in that same direction.

hardluk1
February 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
We bought one that had sat in a holster way to long and had most of the blueing warn off on side of the barrel shroud and a couple spot of the cyclinder. Price was right and best is it still shoots like real DW should.

Oh BLUE RIDGE BLUEING was a one of the guys over the years that did DW blueing. So old beaters can look good again if that matters.

Huntolive
February 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'll give it a shot.
I'll let u know how it work out if I land it.
If I get it, you can sure as hell bet I will use it in the field, but just the 8 and or 6inch barrels.

One final question,
in a complex trade, I could get a Ruger 357 police service 6, 4.5" in decent condition. I don't really need one, but it's a "he owes me $200" kind of thing and could make a bugger deal go smoother, so big deal either way on the Ruger.
He was asking $350 not selling right away. It seems they are worth about $250-$300, based on my basic searches.
What r your thoughts on its quality, and value?

hAkron
February 17, 2013, 09:43 PM
Is the Ruger blued or stainless? I would pay $300-$350 for a good condition ruger service 6.

hardluk1
February 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
Ruger , yes sounds ok deal.

On the dW . Just take time to learn about them. Read up and ask plenty of questions about them. The danwessonforum is a great site for arcives, history and questions in general. A better DW revolver tool can be found at EWKarms along with frear fiber optic sights if wanted or needed. Even shroads alone if you want to save wear or want a front heavy revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dan Wesson 15-2 Pistol Pack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!