Ruger M77 MkII .223 ID?

PDA

jstein650
February 15, 2013, 12:08 AM
Didn't see this in prev. threads - I have a (beloved) Ruger M77 in .223 Rem. Just wondering if anyone has come across this particular model. It has the grey stainless finish with a standard 22" sporter weight barrel and the brown laminate slim sporter stock with pistol grip/gripcap. It was made in 2001 per the serial #. I don't think it's rare or anything, it's just that I've never come across another one quite like it, back then or now, in the catalogs or used mkt. They either have the shiny SS, heavy bbl., wood or heavy benchrest style stock, or some variation thereof. Been curious for some time. - Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger M77 MkII .223 ID?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
February 15, 2013, 08:53 AM
You have the sporter.

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeSporter/models.html

It appears it is no longer made in 223 and they have changed from brown laminate to gray.

They are not extremely rare, but you don't see as many. The laminate stocks are HEAVY, earlier versions had no checkering making them pretty slick to hold onto. Most folks who did not want walnut prefered synthetic. I know that would be my preference.

jstein650
February 15, 2013, 02:13 PM
Yeah, it is heavy, although that's never really bothered me. Of course, it was made way before they started the Hawkeye variation, and the stock is non checkered. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger M77 MkII .223 ID?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!